• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Penalty for acquiring another passport

Jason.T

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi,

I am not sure if this thread should be under "Emigration Matters" or this, but I thought I'd give it a go as I think there are more viewers here and secondly, theoretically, it is also about the penal code in Singapore.

Assume if someone has made up his/her mind about taking on another passport but not yet certain on whether to give up a Singapore passport. The individual need not necessary renew the Singapore passport as travelling can be done with the passport of his/her new country.

Can anyone share what is the worse case scenario that might happen to the individual should the Singapore government finds out?

For example:
- Forced renunciation (of either citizenship)
- Jail Term
- Caning, for males
- Fine, how much if so?

JT

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi,

I am not sure if this thread should be under "Emigration Matters" or this, but I thought I'd give it a go as I think there are more viewers here and secondly, theoretically, it is also about the penal code in Singapore.

Assume if someone has made up his/her mind about taking on another passport but not yet certain on whether to give up a Singapore passport. The individual need not necessary renew the Singapore passport as travelling can be done with the passport of his/her new country.

Can anyone share what is the worse case scenario that might happen to the individual should the Singapore government finds out?

For example:
- Forced renunciation (of either citizenship)
- Jail Term
- Caning, for males
- Fine, how much if so?

JT

It depends on the following:

If born and bred Singaporean, all of the above you mentioned.

If FT or NEW citizen, just a friendly warning.
:biggrin:

Jason.T

Alfrescian
Loyal

If born and bred Singaporean, all of the above you mentioned.
:biggrin:

I hope you are not serious in the above statement.

There aren't any clear cut details regarding the penal code for having 2 passports in the government websites which I have searched through. (eg ICA and OverseasSingapore). There have been a few contributions in forums and definitions as well but, I can't really be sure.

It is much appreciated if anyone could point a link to any Singapore Governing body website which clearly describes the penal code (if any) on this?

JT

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope you are not serious in the above statement.

There aren't any clear cut details regarding the penal code for having 2 passports in the government websites which I have searched through. (eg ICA and OverseasSingapore). There have been a few contributions in forums and definitions as well but, I can't really be sure.

It is much appreciated if anyone could point a link to any Singapore Governing body website which clearly describes the penal code (if any) on this?

JT

Sometimes, I really wonder about people like you.

It's only a phone call away. Dial 999.

They MUSt know. If not you can KPKB and see your MP. If still cannot call Mr. Wong Cant Sing.

If still no answer, expose to the WAYANG PARTY. They will gladly take up the case for you.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
i mean what's ur problem, if you passports are legit? u are who you are?

CIA agents uses fake passports to travel regularly, and they neber get caught even in their own country...hehe..

instead of being fearful, why not have some fun while you are at it?

Jason.T

Alfrescian
Loyal
i mean what's ur problem, if you passports are legit? u are who you are?
CIA agents uses fake passports to travel regularly, and they neber get caught even in their own country...hehe..
instead of being fearful, why not have some fun while you are at it?

I guess my problem is being nurtured in a society where fear is instilled as part of the growing process (education, military, perhaps society as well?).

Normally I'll enter SG with my family only for a few weeks each time to visit the folks and relatives. If being interrogated and the call is required to be made, I suppose I'll have to renounce my Singaporean citizenship to remove any implications on my children, if any, as they were not registered as Singapore citizens since their birth. I'm kinda the link between the Singapore and my kids in terms of this.

Thank you for your time in replying, same to you ahleebabasingaporethief.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess my problem is being nurtured in a society where fear is instilled as part of the growing process (education, military, perhaps society as well?).

Normally I'll enter SG with my family only for a few weeks each time to visit the folks and relatives. If being interrogated and the call is required to be made, I suppose I'll have to renounce my Singaporean citizenship to remove any implications on my children, if any, as they were not registered as Singapore citizens since their birth. I'm kinda the link between the Singapore and my kids in terms of this.

and by doing that, you are rewarded with your CPF monies!! :wink:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Sg society produces coward and wimpy sinkies. That is the problem. please unsinkified urself before it is too late. Or at least dun pass ur sinkiness to ur future generation.

Jason.T

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sg society produces coward and wimpy sinkies. That is the problem. please unsinkified urself before it is too late. Or at least dun pass ur sinkiness to ur future generation.

Ok, point taken.

Were you a Singaporean previously who renounced citizenship? Any trouble with the immigration when you enter (if you did) the country for visits?

If you could share your experience, that would be much greatly appreciated.

allanlee

Alfrescian
Loyal

CIA agents do not travel using fake passports........ they use genuine passports with fake identities :biggrin:......... but why tok only about CIA? Every countries 007 agencies are doing it.......... including singkieland's agents from the Irrawaddy road twin towers :wink:

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok, point taken.

Were you a Singaporean previously who renounced citizenship? Any trouble with the immigration when you enter (if you did) the country for visits?

If you could share your experience, that would be much greatly appreciated.

CB Kia tonychat is an ex-convict..

he is still a sporean who dares not renounce his spore citizenship, just talk cock only

he is now in thailand, working as a pimp, living off his ladyboy prostitute gf.

harlow111

Alfrescian
Loyal
if i'm not mistaken it's against the law to have 2 passports.

problem is no one is checking. except maybe for the occasional random audit that ICA performs (if at all).

i mean when you enter singapore customs have they ever checked every page of your passport for the chop at the point of embarkation? no right?
everyone i know who holds on to 2 passports uses the spore passport to enter and leave spore, and uses the foreign passport to enter and leave the foreign country. no one checks.

even if spore customs checks and finds out the spore passport does not have the chop at the point of embarkation, it seems like they "close one eye".

but a ang moh colleague of mine was cautioning against this practice. here's a worst case scenario:
you leave australia (for example) on australia passport and enter spore on spore passport. suay suay during your stay in spore, MINDEF issues martial law or mobilisation and all reservists are called back for high alert against terrorist attack or some act of war crisis. you must report back to camp as well and you will be stuck in spore indefinitely until the crisis is over. you cannot claim australian citizenship to get out of the country, because you entered singapore on singapore passport and your australian passport does not bear the entry into singapore chop.

sounds a little far fetched but hey sh*t happens.

Jason.T

Alfrescian
Loyal
but a ang moh colleague of mine was cautioning against this practice. here's a worst case scenario:
you leave australia (for example) on australia passport and enter spore on spore passport. suay suay during your stay in spore, MINDEF issues martial law or mobilisation and all reservists are called back for high alert against terrorist attack or some act of war crisis. you must report back to camp as well and you will be stuck in spore indefinitely until the crisis is over. you cannot claim australian citizenship to get out of the country, because you entered singapore on singapore passport and your australian passport does not bear the entry into singapore chop.

sounds a little far fetched but hey sh*t happens.

Hi harlow111,

Many thanks for that pointer above - that scenario didn't cross my mind at all. I guess the repurcussions of being in the military, or martial law for that matter, have not been considered seriously by me.

if i'm not mistaken it's against the law to have 2 passports.

As to whether it is against the law to have 2 passports, I cannot seem to find a definite answer to that. Generally, the information that I came across, from the Singapore Government websites, is "Singapore does not recognise dual citizenship". This can be interpreted from different perspective.

Links:
http://www.mof.gov.sg/budget_2008/gd_faq.html
http://www.gstoffset.gov.sg/FAQs.htm

I believe that if it is a clear cut issue that having 2 passports is against the law, the number of people renouncing Singapore citizenship will increase significantly.

JT

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi harlow111,

I believe that if it is a clear cut issue that having 2 passports is against the law, the number of people renouncing Singapore citizenship will increase significantly.

JT

The Law in Singapore is pretty clear cut about not allowing dual citizenship for Singaporeans. The penalties involved would be severe if caught mainly because of a FALSE STATUTORY declaration in;
1. The application for a renewal of the Singapore Passport which is now valid only for 5 yrs.

Jason.T

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Law in Singapore is pretty clear cut about not allowing dual citizenship for Singaporeans. The penalties involved would be severe if caught mainly because of a FALSE STATUTORY declaration in;
1. The application for a renewal of the Singapore Passport which is now valid only for 5 yrs.

Hi kiwibird7, thank you for that.

I suppose if an individual who is still holding on to a valid Singapore passport (issued with 10 years validity, having a while more to go till expiry) & gets another passport of his/her new country of citizenship will not necessarily be breaking the law as no declaration has been made?

When the time passes and his/her Singaporean passport expires, but no renewal of Singapore passport and no declaration of false statutory made - would the individual be breaking the law if entry to Singapore is made with the new foreign passport. This is based on an assumption that there is no visa required for the intended length of visit in Singapore.

I can't seem to find a clear cut statement on the Government websites on the above scenario.

JT

Jason.T

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi kiwibird7,

Thank you for that.

I suppose if an individual who is still holding on to a valid Singapore passport (10 years validity, with couple of years to go) & gets another passport of his/her new country of citizenship will necessarily be breaking the law?

When the time passes and his/her Singaporean passport expires, but no renewal of Singapore passport and no declaration of false statutory made - would the individual be breaking the law if entry to Singapore is made with the new foreign passport (no visa required if coming in for say 3 weeks) and that entry has been detected by the Singapore immigration department?

I can't seem to find a clear cut statement on the Government websites on the above scenario.

Weird, this is the 2nd time I'm posting this as the first post (2 days ago) didn't seem to be able to go through.

JT

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi kiwibird7, thank you for that.

I suppose if an individual who is still holding on to a valid Singapore passport (issued with 10 years validity, having a while more to go till expiry) & gets another passport of his/her new country of citizenship will not necessarily be breaking the law as no declaration has been made?

When the time passes and his/her Singaporean passport expires, but no renewal of Singapore passport and no declaration of false statutory made - would the individual be breaking the law if entry to Singapore is made with the new foreign passport. This is based on an assumption that there is no visa required for the intended length of visit in Singapore.

JT
The main reason SG does not allow dual citizenship is due to NS; loyalties must be assured with only one citizenship (due to SG being a Young and Vulnerable nation)

NS liable citizens (reservists) renewing their exit permits will have to submit a photocopy of their SG Passports with the overseas PR permit. Not renewing the SG passport upon the 5 yr expiry lifespan would create difficulties for those who have secretly obtained dual citizenship while overseas.

Those overseas S'poreans wishing to come back to work in Singapore again would have to renew or make a new SG passport which involves making statutory declarations. Hiding the truth that will eventually have to come out negates the purpose of having a secret dual citizenship that is prohibited by SG law.

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
What happen if I have no more NS liability? I see no reason why we can't hold 2 passport when NS liability is an issue.

allanlee

Alfrescian
Loyal
You may wish to know there is a provisio under the ISA to detain you for "acts against the state"...... strangely the schedule of offences includes possession of another country's passport :p

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can you quote your provisio under the ISA? This is the first time I heard that it is an offence to hold two passports.