• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

International property worth considering?

shawnabc77

Alfrescian
Loyal
there seems to have many properties launching internationally. Cambodia probably has been the hottest currently in the region. There's a many investors and developers in cambodia that include developers from Singapore, cambodia, Malaysia, japan and even korea.

Some of the new cambodia properties include The Gateway and The Peak.

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
The first consideration for overseas property is the rule of law to protect the interest of investors. Until you are convinced that the rule of law is clear to protect your ownership of the property, do not invest.

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agree with Manhattan.

I am eyeing properties in Vietnam. Mainly in District 1 aka Saigon. (Quan 1)

But the rules for foreigners ownership is still unclear, hence I rather wait and pay a premium on a later date.

in July 2016, Vietnam have change the rules and allow foreigners to buy using proxy. But I will pass, I prefer direct ownership in all properties I own.

LeeStan

Alfrescian
Loyal
The first consideration for overseas property is the rule of law to protect the interest of investors. Until you are convinced that the rule of law is clear to protect your ownership of the property, do not invest.

You are right. Always be wise and smart with every investment so that no one will regret in the end.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
London prices set to rise again.
======================

Stamp duty bill on a £275k buy-to-let is trebled as Chancellor targets landlords
Stamp duty surcharge of 3% added to buy-to-let and second homes
Bill for a £275,000 property to rocket from £3,750 to £10,800
Described as 'catastrophic for the private rented sector' by lettings expert
Warning of rush of buy-to-let and second home purchases before April

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/mo...stamp-duty-bill-275k-buy-let-second-home.html

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with Manhattan.

I am eyeing properties in Vietnam. Mainly in District 1 aka Saigon. (Quan 1)

But the rules for foreigners ownership is still unclear, hence I rather wait and pay a premium on a later date.

in July 2016, Vietnam have change the rules and allow foreigners to buy using proxy. But I will pass, I prefer direct ownership in all properties I own.

If I am not wrong, the property market crashed 2 years ago and many developers went bust as there were too much of easy lending for too many projects all at one go when the Government open up its doors to foreign investment.

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
While on business trip, I always visit some new showflat.

Take up rate is slow; because developers now try to sell at higher price due to better location.

Taiwan and China citizens are still avoiding VN (especially HCM) due to riot at their factories.

I also notice restuarants and businesses relying on Chinese closing down, or rebuilding into other type of business. (closed restaurant and build 3 storey office on top of restaurant)

I felt that current VN properties is bottom rolling. I cannot get any lower as it will be close to FOC.
I also saw a local purchase a shop in Quan 8. (District 8) US$50,000 for a shop which now do manicure business with a living space on second floor.

Everything come with one or few risks. No free ride in this world.

If I am not wrong, the property market crashed 2 years ago and many developers went bust as there were too much of easy lending for too many projects all at one go when the Government open up its doors to foreign investment.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
While on business trip, I always visit some new showflat.

Take up rate is slow; because developers now try to sell at higher price due to better location.

Taiwan and China citizens are still avoiding VN (especially HCM) due to riot at their factories.

I also notice restuarants and businesses relying on Chinese closing down, or rebuilding into other type of business. (closed restaurant and build 3 storey office on top of restaurant)

I felt that current VN properties is bottom rolling. I cannot get any lower as it will be close to FOC.
I also saw a local purchase a shop in Quan 8. (District 8) US$50,000 for a shop which now do manicure business with a living space on second floor.

Everything come with one or few risks. No free ride in this world.

Real experience by my vendor

Few years ago, a vendor explored to invest in Vietnam. They were given 1st class treatment, priority approvals to set up a metal stamping factory. Once they were even driven around in a motorcade. But that was the beginning of their woes.

Once the first pile went in for the construction, they received phone calls almost every other week saying about this or that obstacle and they need to attend to it in person. After months of countless flights and payments at every imaginable level, they decided to cut loss and sell. Their partner arranged another local to take over their shares at a huge discount. Lost RM1.5 million within 6 months.

Taught us that what you cannot control, you do not go in. Dangerous.

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When doing business with local; you will face...

Endless bribery to police and authority.
Workers always come late or go MIA.

As if it is Vietnamese culture to feel proud when conning others. Money wise; or gift wise.

My investment in Vietnam will be simple. Never involve business with any vietnamese. Just invest in property when I can have 100% ownership.

Anyway Keppel and Capitaland already in Vietnam. Can reduce risks buy buying property directly from Singapore developers.

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyway we Singaporeans have been conned even in Singapore.

I bet where ever places a Singaporean step foot in; there will be a story of someone been conned.

In my mind I always feel 99% of us; Singaporeans been penny wise and pound foolish.

brattpig

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Shctaw,

Have been seeing your post for while now and always finds your view/opinion very insightful and spot on.

Just want to get your thinking on the following. Of course I will not hold you accountable, just need an opinion here.

1. Is it better to invest in a Hotel business in Cambodia or Vietnam?

2. Which do you think is better, Cambodia or Vietnam

3. Small investment of around S$100k - S$200k

thanks a million