• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The most elite batch of President's Scholars in Singapore history

zeroo

Alfrescian
Loyal
teocheehean_presscholars.jpg

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"At the heart of the elitist theory is a clear presumption of the average citizen's inadequacies. As a consequence, democratic
systems must rely on the widsom, loyalty and skill of their political leaders, not on the population at large. The political
system is divided into two groups: the elite,
or the "political entrepreneurs," who possess ideological commitments and manipulative
skills; and the citizens at large, the masses, or the "apolitical clay", of the system, a much larger class of
passive, inert followers who have little knowledge of public affairs and even less interest. "

A Critique of the Elitist Theory of Democracy
Author(s): Jack L. Walker
Source: The American Political Science Review, Vol. 60, No. 2 (Jun., 1966), pp. 285-295

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lee Bee Wah quite chio. Can't believe she turn out to be what she is now.

Not the same lee bee wah lah.

The one in the picture is a doctor.

The one in the picture is a friend of one of my family relatives.

Last edited:

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can only blame myself for not able to get Presidential Scholarships while I was young :smile:

Back then, Singapore educated people is not a lot... and truly those days, the PAP rule under Lee Yuan Yew's leadership was solid!

Singapore became one of the Asian Tigers or 4 small dragons is no coincidence... I really attribute Singapore's growth from 1963 to 1990s, Lee Kuan Yew's Ideology and Economical Reforms.

So, I can understand why our parent's generation or someone's grandparent's would vote for PAP, as there is truly a way to say THANK YOU LEE KUAN YEW for your hard works! My parents are retired and semi retired, my grandparents are long time in Heaven, so, how would the retired folks know what is going on with Singapore right now? It's their right and decision to vote, since Singapore is a Democratic Society, and touching my heart, I can truly understand why our parents, our grandparents would insist on voting for the popular brands PAP, because they benefited from LKY's PAP rule, and just want to say THANK YOU LEE KUAN YEW for building SINGAPORE into what it is today.

However, the new batch of Leaders under Lee Hsien Loong is no longer as foresighted... how I wished Lee Kuan Yew have 100 more years to live...

Singapore PAP Government Policy emphasized too much on the GDP equation... which is a stupid equation developed some 400 years ago!!!

William Petty came up with a basic concept of GDP to defend landlords against unfair taxation during warfare between the Dutch and the English between 1652 and 1674.[4] Charles Davenant developed the method further in 1695. [5] The modern concept of GDP was first developed by Simon Kuznets for a US Congress report in 1934.[6] In this report, Kuznets warned against its use as a measure of welfare (see below under limitations and criticisms). After the Bretton Woods conference in 1944, GDP became the main tool for measuring a country's economy.[7] At that time Gross National Product (GNP) was the preferred estimate, which differed from GDP in that it measured production by a country's citizens at home and abroad rather than its 'resident institutional units' (see OECD definition above). The switch to GDP was in the 1980s.

End of Quote

How about moving to a more reasonable measurement index say the Global Happiness Index? say something like happyplanetindex.org? We all know we all will die one day, why must the purpose of life be only about making money to increase the country's GDP? This is such a flawed equation that doesn't measure human health, human well being, human happiness. There is an absolute correlation between Happiness and Productivity. People don't work for money... they work for their FAMILY HAPPINESS!

So what if the GDP is no longer growing? This equation is an exponential equation which is based on CAGR, or compound average growth rate, pretty crazy if you ask me. There is no way a GDP equation can be sustainable for growth forever... with this equation, INFLATION IS GUARANTEED! When there is bank interest rates, INFLATION IS GUARANTEED! At the end of the day, we are all playing monopoly game...

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I see you are back in this forum huh.

I thot now that the PAP has won a landslide victory, your job here is over liao, tio bo?

There's still 30% of the opposition hard-liners to convince. And also have to ensure that fewer of the 69.9% swing back to the Dark Side (opposition).

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's still 30% of the opposition hard-liners to convince. And also have to ensure that fewer of the 69.9% swing back to the Dark Side (opposition).

Agree. We need good leaders in S'pore. Btw, how to join the PA? Must buy points? Can zap or not?

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lee Bee Wah quite chio. Can't believe she turn out to be what she is now.

hahhah. what a joke. you got it all wrong. r I know practically ALL the people in that photo first hand. all 3 ladies in that photos are good friends of one another and all paediatricians and all 3 unmarried. LWL is a paediatric neurologist. the guys are all CMI and lose to the girls here brainwise and intellect wise. it's because of that photo that the old man said one of his regret was getting singapore women too educated as he was disturbed that a substantial number of graduate women remained unmarried.

Qantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
You can always volunteer at the RC in your precinct. We welcome new volunteers. That's how I started.

I know of many who carry ministers' balls their whole life, clean toilets, first to open doors and last o close doors to RCs, sweep the floors, open car doors, wipe Ministers backsides etc, but still never get chance to sit down with MIW to drink kopi. Like that how to get million dollar pay?