• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Microsoft Forces Windows 10 Onto Windows 7 And Windows 8

Dhalsim

Alfrescian
Loyal

Microsoft Forces Windows 10 Onto Windows 7 And Windows 8

Gordon Kelly
Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

The saga continues.

Following news that Windows 10 automatically downloads onto Windows 7 and Windows 8 for users who choose to upgrade, Microsoft MSFT +0.00% has now confirmed it has taken things one serious step further: Windows 10 will now download on computers even when users chose NOT to upgrade.

This somewhat shocking development was discovered by The Inquirer when a reader reported Windows 10 had been downloaded onto their computer despite the fact they expressly declined the opportunity to upgrade:

“The symptoms are repeated failed ‘Upgrade to Windows 10′ in the WU update history and a huge 3.5GB to 6GB hidden folder labelled ‘$Windows.~BT’,” the reader explained. “I thought Microsoft [said] this ‘upgrade’ was optional. If so, why is it being pushed out to so many computers where it wasn’t reserved, and why does it try to install over and over again?

Windows-10-free-1940x1090.png

Windows 7 and 8 users are now prompted to get Windows 10 – and it will download even if they decline… Image credit: Gordon Kelly

He continued: “I know of two instances where people on metered connections went over their data cap for August because of this unwanted download. My own internet (slow DSL) was crawling for a week or so until I discovered this problem. In fact, that’s what led me to it. Not only does it download, it tries to install every time the computer is booted.”

Microsoft Confirms New Policy

Astonishingly this is not a one-off error. Speaking to The Inquirer, Microsoft confirmed this is now something they are doing to all computers running Windows 7 and Windows 8:

“For individuals who have chosen to receive automatic updates through Windows Update, we help upgradable devices get ready for Windows 10 by downloading the files they’ll need if they decide to upgrade. When the upgrade is ready, the customer will be prompted to install Windows 10 on the device,” said a Microsoft spokesperson.

Now let’s be clear here: with regards to Windows 7 and Windows 8 “individuals who have chosen to receive automatic updates through Windows Update” is essentially everyone.

So unless you expressly chose to switch off all Windows updates (not recommended), you will be receiving (and have already received) a 3-6GB silent download. As The Inquirer reader points out, this can be found at: C:\$windows.~BT

Note this is a hidden folder so to view it you need to open File Explorer and go to: Organize > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files, folders, and drives.

device_2in1_mini_start_cortana.png

Windows 10 will be great, but it is being spoilt by aggressive update policies – Image credit Microsoft

The Fall Out

So what to make of this? Quite frankly, while opinions remain divided over Windows 10’s forced updates, for Microsoft to presumptuously take a substantial chunk of every Windows 7 and Windows 8 user’s storage (and data allowance) downloading Windows 10 even if they specifically state they do not want to upgrade is a big step too far.

Personally I cannot see what Microsoft is trying to achieve here. When a user wants Windows 10 they will expect a large download to begin and there to be some waiting time. But Microsoft downloading Windows 10 anyway just to skip this wait for users who don’t want Windows 10 is complete madness.