• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

GE15: burning questions and issues

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
One of the surest signs of an impending general election in Singapore has arrived: just a few days after a routine polling district gazette was released, the Electoral Boundaries Review Committee has released their report of electoral boundaries.

As Singaporeans (and maybe the rest of the world) scrutinise this report and Singapore’s past few years leading up to one of the most hotly-anticipated elections ever, five questions have emerged which will hopefully gain answers as the electoral hustlings kick into full swing:

1) Is this the widely-anticipated social media elections?

In 2011, social media was still at its infancy, with many still figuring out how the medium was going to affect the polls. While the year’s polls were widely quoted as a watershed one, this year’s hustings will likely be a play-by-play on the new battlefield of the political parties.

With social media giants Facebook and Twitter setting base in Singapore, the influence of social media is far greater than ever. Expect parties to rumble on the Internet, and for voters to make clear who their allegiance lies with online as well. Stories may break online and new discoveries may keep PR teams of political parties on their toes. For instance, the chicken rice fiasco of 2011:

Combine this with the string of voices that have broken out in recent times – Roy Ngerng, Amos Yee, Bertha Henson, Gilbert Goh, just to name a few – and it is this cacophony of new leaders in the social media realm (yes, do not discount Xiaxue’s political coverage) that will be difficult to ignore.

Even in the media scene today, the new crop of media entities cannot be ignored. Mothership, Must Share News, The Independent Singapore, Inconvenient Questions, Six-Six News, The Middle Ground and even Popspoken (buay paiseh, hor) will add eyes, ears and new perspectives to an election season that used to be mostly played out on big titles.

The shift on social media is apparent: in a Blackbox survey, about half of Singaporeans surveyed under 40 years old said that social media had played a role in shaping their views and opinions on political and social issues.

2) The power of the youth: a potential swing vote?

2011’s elections may have been an election too early, but the rise of social media has become the conduit for more participation on topics that concern the country, especially from the youth who form a significant part of social media users. (The youth are classically defined as those under 35 years of age.)

In 2011, 25% of the 2.2 million voters were aged 35 and below. 10% of the electorate were first time voters. With more youths who are now of age joining this pool of voters, the shift in the voting pie towards the young is increasing.

The power of the youth was analysed by associate professor Trisha Lin in a study of more than 440 youths across 2,000 Singaporeans. It was found that young Singaporeans wrote more on new media than other Singaporeans, but more youths had voted for the People’s Action Party (PAP) than opposition. However, the percentage of youths who voted for the opposition is more than Singaporeans as a whole who had voted for the opposition.

Even among age groups in the youth, the shift is apparent – while 8.8% of voters from 30-34 would vote for the opposition, 18.8% of voters from 21-24 would.

However, it may be difficult to shake off long-standing political apathy among the young. The New Paper’s survey on 1,000 youth voters in Mar 2011 revealed that 40% of voters would not vote if necessary, and 25% feel “politically alienated” in their say in government policies. It takes two hands to clap, and in this respect, it would be wise for all eyes to be on the citizens of tomorrow.

3) Can Tin Pei Ling stand alone in MacPherson?

5674249552_f8a1131960_b

Photo: Bernard Oh/Flickr

We’ll let the Member of Parliament of the MacPherson ward off the hook: ever since she stepped into office even as Goh Chok Tong publicly decried her participation, she has shown gumption to answer to her resident’s queries. Yes, even when it came to sanitary pads.

As she quit her job in Ernst & Young to focus on serving her residents, the 31-year-old has soon gotten her bag-toting days behind her and even garnered praise from the prime minister himself last August for her good work in the MacPherson area. It is not known if she will stand for the newly-carved out MacPherson Single Member Constituency (SMC), but for what it’s worth, her shot at a second term is much better than her first.

4) A Tanjong Pagar… without Lee Kuan Yew?

The only constituency to not have been contested in the last general elections after a dramatic last-minute document fracas, Tanjong Pagar GRC now stands a real chance of being contested after having been uncontested since the 1991 general elections.

The passing of the late Lee Kuan Yew now leaves the Tanjong Pagar-Tiong Bahru ward empty. Most importantly, it leaves the GRC in the hands of new blood as a new set of candidates vie for the hearts and minds of the electorate.

However, the jury is out if minister Chan Chun Sing, after having been parachuted into the Buona Vista ward previously helmed by Lim Swee Say, will continue to stay in Tanjong Pagar GRC and possibly lead the other PAP candidates there. If so, they will face stiff competition possibly from the SingFirst party, after its leader Tan Jee Say walked the ground in November last year.

5) The return of Jalan Besar GRC

2922179284_54e712798b_o

Photo: blue_quartz/Flickr via CC BY-SA 2.0

One of Singapore’s hotly-contested Group Representation Constituencies is back: Jalan Besar GRC is up for grabs once again after being dissolved in the 2011 general elections. Ever since its formation in 1988, it has been contested in every single election but with wide margins in poll winnings.

For Edwin Tong who currently helms the Jalan Besar ward, the biggest test lies ahead for the Allen & Gledhill partner if he has the mandate to stay his ground if he is up to be contested in the ward. The National Solidarity Party (NSP), which has been walking the ground there, seems ripe for the pickings. If 2011 was any indication, the incumbent would be well-prepared to take on the ward again but so has the NSP’s long-standing ties there.

Featured photo: Abdul Rahman/Flickr via CC BY 2.0

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Five Burning Questions For The Upcoming Singapore General Elections

most important question from me is:

will the yong tau fu cum laksa stall at tampines mrt link food court be closed? :confused:

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I think over analysed also no point. The nature of sinkies are known. They rather bend down ass up and get screwed by the same devil than to explore the unknown. High property prices and high sgd exchange are pride of singkies. Sinkies are like tiongs, its all about $$$ but morally still better than tiongs. I already gave up on sinkies in 2011. All the best anyway.

kukubird59

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hahaha....well done master, u certainly are the most credible anal-yet omn planet earth

Your calling of WP as a fake oppo party was a master stroke
U are so right that all the retarded oppo supporters pretended not to know
We papee doggies really have to kow tow to u

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

thought they simply chose to call it Moulmein-Kallang last election. so they prefer Jalan Besar again. :biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If you were an uncle or auntie expecting to take out your CPF at 55, you would be very, very,... angry with the PAP for changing the rules.

Sporeans are very sensitive about their money. So I won't be surprised if more people are angry with the PAP.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I would like to think tat. But a typical singkie is afraid they will lose out if they dont vote pap. They have been screwed so many times tat they have stockholm syndrome. They vot pap but say..I hope the oppo wins. ..I vote pap so i can get upgrading. I vote pap if not isd come catch me and all other bs. They get the gahmen they vote for.

If you were an uncle or auntie expecting to take out your CPF at 55, you would be very, very,... angry with the PAP for changing the rules.

Sporeans are very sensitive about their money. So I won't be surprised if more people are angry with the PAP.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

most important question from me is:

will the yong tau fu cum laksa stall at tampines mrt link food court be closed? :confused:
wat has it got 2 do wif erectionss? ...

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

I think over analysed also no point. The nature of sinkies are known. They rather bend down ass up and get screwed by the same devil than to explore the unknown. High property prices and high sgd exchange are pride of singkies. Sinkies are like tiongs, its all about $$$ but morally still better than tiongs. I already gave up on sinkies in 2011. All the best anyway.

Indeed. Sinkies are useless losers who will vote for more of the same. Just look at the number of people stuck in low paying jobs like taxi driving and security! Victory is assured.

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal

that makes no fucking sense. most sinkies are too poor to benefit from high prop prices or a stroong sinkie dorrar. they simply dun have the money. u r full of shit. are u an ah tiong boss or you only have tiong bosses as frendos?

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Moi also have burning question
When will Sinkies wake up and stand up
More important now is to jump or not
How firemen know I like eggs sunny side up

[video=youtube;I3DVN7XMiQk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3DVN7XMiQk&index=14&list=PLSvrV_X7M7UZBm6sxJ_pQjMukp2bZTEuj[/video]

jw5

Loyal

It's only apt that a government which governs by social media gets elected or voted out by social media. :wink:

1) Is this the widely-anticipated social media elections?

In 2011, social media was still at its infancy, with many still figuring out how the medium was going to affect the polls. While the year’s polls were widely quoted as a watershed one, this year’s hustings will likely be a play-by-play on the new battlefield of the political parties.

kopiOuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal

talk cock talk shop king
the reality is this
this coming general election is a big walkover for pap
the oppo is dead
the wp is dead
the sdp is dead
the nsp is dead
the new dead is also dead

the sarpport for pap is overwhelming
nobody and no party can govern Singapore with such brilliance and strategic planning for the future
pap will sweep the elections clean and neat
no need to talk cock talk shop and speculate until the cows come home
the writing is on the wall - pap returned with more seats and with more power in its hand

11709381_938343929561647_3762282694008099515_n.jpg

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

thought they simply chose to call it Moulmein-Kallang last election. so they prefer Jalan Besar again. :biggrin:

The return of the CPF at 55 is the burning question.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Old grassroots warhorse ready to kick some opposition butt!

f44844049_1ecb6a56-9a32-4d37-a03f-7b66ea8f92b4_l.jpg

RETIRED businessman Phang Tai Heng has been a volunteer in Jalan Besar for more than 50 years.

The 86-year-old, who spent many years as chairman of the Jalan Besar Community Club management committee and Citizens Consultative Committee (CCC), is probably Singapore's oldest and longest-serving grassroots leader.

His connection to the area began when at 19 he started working in an engineering workshop that his father owned.

"After all these years, I know both the people and place very well and have seen how the area has grown," said Mr Phang, who is patron of both the community club's management committee and the CCC.

His years of service were acknowledged by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong at a Chinese New Year party for more than 4,000 community and grassroots leaders at the Istana earlier this month.

PM Lee gave him a special SG50 ez-link card with a handwritten "thank you" note on its red pocket- sized folder.

"May you always be blessed with health and happiness and thank you for 50 years of service to our nation," wrote PM Lee, a surprise guest at the party.

http://www.feecha.com/single/5841857399488512?nb=Lavender

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes. One party, one nation, one Singapore!