• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Steamed Pomfret Stall at Jurong East

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Shit, you got it wrong. Sinkees are not well-off, that's why they have to eat at tzechar stall. If well-off, they will eat at restaurants lah where there is service and airconditioning.

the operating word is "choice". although wealthy, sinkies prefer the best of the best at any hole in the wall eatery including dining by the longkang at geylang or sam leong road. hey i'm so poor i can't even afford eating at a tzechar stall. i scrape by everyday at the cheapest roadside kopitiam in ghetto bedok, living on $30 per day with only $20 going to 3 meals. oops! make that $15 for 2 meals, and the remaining $5 for a gourmet coffee at the nearest starfucks. :biggrin:

Poomer

Alfrescian
Loyal
the operating word is "choice". although wealthy, sinkies prefer the best of the best at any hole in the wall eatery including dining by the longkang at geylang or sam leong road. hey i'm so poor i can't even afford eating at a tzechar stall. i scrape by everyday at the cheapest roadside kopitiam in ghetto bedok, living on $30 per day with only $20 going to 3 meals. oops! make that $15 for 2 meals, and the remaining $5 for a gourmet coffee at the nearest starfucks. :biggrin:

In New York, the state just passed the law that minimum wage Mcdonalds workers earn at least $15 p/hour... So we can safely say that US workers earn in one hour what Singaporeans spend on food for an entire day...

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In New York, the state just passed the law that minimum wage Mcdonalds workers earn at least $15 p/hour... So we can safely say that US workers earn in one hour what Singaporeans spend on food for an entire day...

it proves that meals are very affordable in sg if one looks around for the best deals, and it's not difficult.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Went back again this morning for breakfast. They opened at 7am serving teochew porridge. Arrived there 8.30am already many people eating but not crowded yet. By the time at 9.30am all tables are taken.

The hae-bee-hiam indeed damn solid, bought 2 boxes home for more

Chap chai

Chai-por omelet

The Pomfret

Fish with this sauce is perfect

I think it goes well with Gardenia bread sandwich

I asked this time the fish costs $50. Whole meal with 2 rice and 2 porridge $76.80

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For this dish, my favourite is Liang Kee at blk 34 Whampoa West near Bendemeer. Standard at Ah Orh dropped a lot. And more expensive too.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ah Joe 1 fish cost 50 bucks? In cina restaurant in perth I can get a canto steam fish and its swimming in the tank for 50 bucks? Maybe pomfret taste better but 50 bucks? Inflation in singkie land must b at 20%..

Went back again this morning for breakfast. They opened at 7am serving teochew porridge. Arrived there 8.30am already many people eating but not crowded yet. By the time at 9.30am all tables are taken.

The hae-bee-hiam indeed damn solid, bought 2 boxes home for more

Chap chai

Chai-por omelet

The Pomfret

Fish with this sauce is perfect

I think it goes well with Gardenia bread sandwich

I asked this time the fish costs $50. Whole meal with 2 rice and 2 porridge $76.80

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Ah Joe 1 fish cost 50 bucks? In cina restaurant in perth I can get a canto steam fish and its swimming in the tank for 50 bucks? Maybe pomfret taste better but 50 bucks? Inflation in singkie land must b at 20%..

Yes $50 the worker told me. I think in Singapore standard its considered reasonable. This wold have cost easily $100 at Sin Hoi San in Tiong Bahru and in restaurant also easily $100.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Yes $50 the worker told me. I think in Singapore standard its considered reasonable. This wold have cost easily $100 at Sin Hoi San in Tiong Bahru and in restaurant also easily $100.

I am glad that you are thriving under PAP leadership that you can afford to splash out $75+ for breakfast. That's probably the food money for some poor ASEAN family for a week or even a month.

But the price of the fish seems very high.

At Ah Hua Kelong, the price of a Golden Pomfret is about $10 for a 600g fish, or make that $17 for a 1 kg fish. Earning $33 profit on a $17 fish is pretty good margin. The preparation of the dish looks very easy. A few slices of ginger and mushroom, some veggie, and steam till it's ready to serve.

http://ahhuakelong.com/product/dish-1/

The rest of the meal costs about $27? I ate at a zichar place recently with a friend. We ordered three dishes, of which two were meats, and we paid about the same. Your dishes work out to be an average of $5 per dish, including the cabbage.
While the food is certainly affordable for people like you and I given our income levels, it certainly isn't value for money.

But as long as it is delicious, I guess who cares!!

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For the kind of price , you could eat like a King at Taman Jurong Food Center.

Have you tried the Sambal Stingray , Sotong, Tua Tao, grilled prawns and Sambal kang Kong on the 3rd floor of Taman Jurong Food Center ?

Enjoy ! Life is short ! Live with No regrets!

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sin Hoi San is chop head restaurant. The boss is seepay chee hong.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Every night see the gals come for supper for years sure jee hong one la. Envy him.

He will spend money only on pussies. His close friend told me that. Friends can FO to him. This sucker hang flowers like there is no tomorrow, provided he die-die want to up the singer.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The stall is most famous this unique freshwater fish called ( according to the owner) "Forget Me Not" fish 忘不了鱼.
The fish is steamed and sells for more than $100 per kilo.

That's the Empura fish from Malaysia.....its endangered so if available here then likely it's smuggled.....tasty fish because it feeds on fruits only.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
That's the Empura fish from Malaysia.....its endangered so if available here then likely it's smuggled.....tasty fish because it feeds on fruits only.

So must be a fresh water fish. Does it have a m&d smell and taste like catfish? Cannot tahan this smell that's why I rarely eat fresh water fish. In Thailand for fresh water fish I stick to pla taptim or pla nin, both tilapia.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
He will spend money only on pussies. His close friend told me that. Friends can FO to him. This sucker hang flowers like there is no tomorrow, provided he die-die want to up the singer.

He can afford la this bugger.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So must be a fresh water fish. Does it have a m&d smell and taste like catfish? Cannot tahan this smell that's why I rarely eat fresh water fish. In Thailand for fresh water fish I stick to pla taptim or pla nin, both tilapia.

Sorry I've not eaten this fish before but heard from those the taste is un un un forgettable hence the name. None mentioned muddy taste at all. The most expensive fish I've eaten is the su mei I must say its good though not worthy of the price tag.....

Poomer

Alfrescian
Loyal
For the kind of price , you could eat like a King at Taman Jurong Food Center.

Have you tried the Sambal Stingray , Sotong, Tua Tao, grilled prawns and Sambal kang Kong on the 3rd floor of Taman Jurong Food Center ?

Enjoy ! Life is short ! Live with No regrets!

Tried the stingray & kang kong... personally feel it's the best sambal stingray place in SG... East coast hawker also not bad.