• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Who say Singapore Commando got no Malay?

zeroo

Alfrescian
Loyal
11702980_10153402373456063_4186288181404815002_n.jpg

"We in 1 CDO have this great culture of esprit de corps. Since the batches before us, the soldiers have been closely bonded and that has been essential to us excelling as the Best Combat Unit. We motivate and push one another through the tough times. For example when we head outfield having to carry full combat loads, the soldiers never fail to assist one another and help to carry each other’s loads to alleviate the heavy burden. Training can get harsh at times, but with such resilience and support shown by those around you, no mission becomes unconquerable. As a commander, I also ensure that my men are of high morale by openly speaking with them to find out how they are coping with training and advising them on how to improve their skills. No man gets left behind, and everyone has each other’s backs."
-LTA (NS) Muhammad Faris Bin Asnin, Detachment Commander, 1 CDO

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Commandos isn't a sensitive unit. Sensitive units have zero Malays, that is a fact. No point arguing over this. :cool:

Mindef will never give Malays the required security clearance to enter those units. :wink:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Back in the 1970's, I believe that there were no Singaporeans of Malay descent in the RSAF and the First Commando Battalion.
Probably no Malays in the armoured units, except LTC Syed Ibrahim (Arab descent).

Last edited:

Poomer

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is pretty apparent this is the first malay in Commandos. Do you see a bunch of Malays in the background, or something to represent that like a guitar?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is possible that nowadays, there are Malays in the Singapore First Commando Battalion, if they show a photo of a commando LTA.

Last edited:

cocobobo

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is pretty apparent this is the first malay in Commandos. Do you see a bunch of Malays in the background, or something to represent that like a guitar?

there were malay commandos in saf since early 90s lah. Lost count already.

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Back in the 1970's, I believe that there were no Singaporeans of Malay descent in the RSAF and the First Commando Battalion. Probably no Malays in the armoured units, except LTC Syed Ibrahim (Arab descent).

is he the syed hashim bin al-jofri who was later the bde comdr of 3 sib in ulu pandan?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I am perfectly okay with Muhammad Faris being a commando as long as his wife and 3 children don't look like this

attachment.php

Attachments

• 13-533x6501.jpg
    13-533x6501.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 5,227

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
is he the syed hashim bin al-jofri who was later the bde comdr of 3 sib in ulu pandan?

Syed Ibrahim was an armoured officer, who was trained in Australia,
whereas Syed Hashim was the Commandant of SBMT.
I believe that both of them retired as LTC.

They are officers and gentlemen, trained at Malaysia's FMC.
One of my old officer friends from the first batch OCS, told me that, if Syed Ibrahim had chosen to stay with the Malaysian Armed Forces, he will definitely be a general.
Based on working as a subordinate officer for Syed Ibrahim ( and for those who know, he called me "Colonel" as a nickname, when he was a Major), he is an outstanding officer.

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Syed Ibrahim was an armoured officer, who was trained in Australia,
whereas Syed Hashim was the Commandant of SBMT.
I believe that both of them retired as LTC.

They are officers and gentlemen, trained at Malaysia's FMC.
One of my old officer friends from the first batch OCS, told me that, if Syed Ibrahim had chosen to stay with the Malaysian Armed Forces, he will definitely be a general.
Based on working as a subordinate officer for Syed Ibrahim ( and for those who know, he called me "Colonel" as a nickname, when he was a Major), he is an outstanding officer.
i would say the same for ltc syed hashim as he was my comdr in hq 3 sib - very old school and "on" during bde exercises and although small in size and a smoker, he was fit and would be with us charging up hill 265 for company attack and when on rtu after the exercise, i remember having to send a message to his wife who was working in s'pore used cars to fetch him back from camp....heard he was an military attaché after i was posted out for course.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i would say the same for ltc syed hashim as he was my comdr in hq 3 sib - very old school and "on" during bde exercises and although small in size and a smoker, he was fit and would be with us charging up hill 265 for company attack and when on rtu after the exercise, i remember having to send a message to his wife who was working in s'pore used cars to fetch him back from camp....heard he was an military attaché after i was posted out for course.

LTC Syed Ibrahim was at some time a military or defence attache at the Singapore's Embassy in Indonesia.
I believe LTC Syed Hashim was at some point in time, a military attache.

Last edited:

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
These malay guys will be told to go to the frontline to absorb the first blow and protect "others" behind during a battle. Like what mongols used to do with captured chinese soldiers during a charge.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
These malay guys will be told to go to the frontline to absorb the first blow and protect "others" behind during a battle. Like what mongols used to do with captured chinese soldiers during a charge.

With respect, I disagree.
I believe that the SAF is above what you wrote.
Back in the old days, during my time in NS and reservist training, the SAF started with "Malay Platoons" in the infantry battalions.
One of my Malay schoolmates was a 2LT, and a platoon commander of a Malay Platoon in 2 SIR (the CO at that time was Major Boon Hon Lin, from the first batch OCS, and a Commando Officer).
During one of the simulated Company exercises at SATO in 1981, the SAF assigned the "Malay Platoon" from 3 SIR or 4 SIR to us (me as the appointed Company Commander), and I was very impressed with "Malay" NS NCO's and men.

Last edited:

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Commandos isn't a sensitive unit. Sensitive units have zero Malays, that is a fact. No point arguing over this. :cool:

Mindef will never give Malays the required security clearance to enter those units. :wink:

Will Masagos be giving any excuse for such discriminations against our Malay brothers by his millionaire pap friends.