• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Dubious Promotion - World's Most Expensive Cities

Aussie Pete

Alfrescian
Loyal
MOST EXPENSIVE

1 (6) Tokyo
2 (8) Osaka-Kobe
3 (2) Paris
4 (3) Copenhagen
5 (1) Oslo
6 (7) Zurich
7 (4) Frankfurt, Helsinkin
9 (12) Geneva
10 (15) Singapore
11 (28) Hong Kong

SLIPPING DOWN

27 (8) London
35 (17) Sydney
38 (20) Stockholm
39 (24) Melbourne
57 (35) Brisbane, Perth

63 (31) Moscow
66 (35) Seoul

WITH the economic crisis wreaking havoc on global currencies — heavily strengthening some, like the Japanese yen, while striking down others, like the British pound — the result has been much turbulence on the leaderboard of the world’s most expensive cities for expatriates.

In just the space of six months, Singapore climbed five spots to 10th in the ranks, even as Tokyo unseated Oslo as No 1, and London free-fell nearly 20 rungs out of the top 10, according to a Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) survey.

http://www.todayonline.com/articles/306805.asp

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
MOST EXPENSIVE

1 (6) Tokyo
2 (8) Osaka-Kobe
3 (2) Paris
4 (3) Copenhagen
5 (1) Oslo
6 (7) Zurich
9 (12) Geneva
10 (15) Singapore
11 (28) Hong Kong

SLIPPING DOWN

27 (8) London
35 (17) Sydney
38 (20) Stockholm
39 (24) Melbourne
57 (35) Brisbane, Perth

63 (31) Moscow
66 (35) Seoul

WITH the economic crisis wreaking havoc on global currencies — heavily strengthening some, like the Japanese yen, while striking down others, like the British pound — the result has been much turbulence on the leaderboard of the world’s most expensive cities for expatriates.

In just the space of six months, Singapore climbed five spots to 10th in the ranks, even as Tokyo unseated Oslo as No 1, and London free-fell nearly 20 rungs out of the top 10, according to a Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) survey.

Expensive and shitty Arsetralia

Avoid at all costs!

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
The SG Government Ministers do not call it expensive, they call it 'AFFORDABLE' market rates. Which is why SIA charges 'AFFORDABLE' prices in comparison with other competitor airlines as well.

All S'pore GIC/GLC companies have the same mindset and economic strategy to make up for their massive investment losses by raising prices for their goods/services.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The SG Government Ministers do not call it expensive, they call it 'AFFORDABLE' market rates. Which is why SIA charges 'AFFORDABLE' prices in comparison with other competitor airlines as well.

All S'pore GIC/GLC companies have the same mindset and economic strategy to make up for their massive investment losses by raising prices for their goods/services.

Affordable by the rich or the not so rich?

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
aussie prick, you're fucking mad with your anti-aussie propaganda. s'pore still beat aussieland by over 20 positions!!! and i think you guys forgot to mention that the list shows which cities are more expensive for expats/FT, not locals.

still, it puzzles me why the local press would be so honest about this numbers. this would only scare off foreign investment. maybe it's more a question of stupidity than honesty.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
aussie prick, you're fucking mad with your anti-aussie propaganda. s'pore still beat aussieland by over 20 positions!!! and i think you guys forgot to mention that the list shows which cities are more expensive for expats/FT, not locals.

still, it puzzles me why the local press would be so honest about this numbers. this would only scare off foreign investment. maybe it's more a question of stupidity than honesty.

The truth hurts. Arsertralia is a crap cuntry.

Also the expense is misleading. The biggest determinant is the rental of a luxury three bedroom apt for expat living, something that has increased exponentially in Singapore, while rentals in Arsetralia remain very cheap compared to Singpore

Unless you are a renter in Singapore, I would not pay any attention to it.

Also Mercer 2009 Cost of Living Survey contradicts these numbers, saying Sydney is #15 to Singapore #13 for example

Yankee Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
MOST EXPENSIVE

1 (6) Tokyo
2 (8) Osaka-Kobe
3 (2) Paris
4 (3) Copenhagen
5 (1) Oslo
6 (7) Zurich
9 (12) Geneva
10 (15) Singapore
11 (28) Hong Kong

SLIPPING DOWN

27 (8) London
35 (17) Sydney
38 (20) Stockholm
39 (24) Melbourne
57 (35) Brisbane, Perth

63 (31) Moscow
66 (35) Seoul

What about bankrupt U Arse A??? Not on the list? Guess New York would have gone up the ranking taking into account the fact that almost half the population is in heavy debts and is bankrupt. So be prepared for THE DEMISE OF UNCLE SAM!!!! :eek:

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
What about bankrupt U Arse A??? Not on the list? Guess New York would have gone up the ranking taking into account the fact that almost half the population is in heavy debts and is bankrupt. So be prepared for THE DEMISE OF UNCLE SAM!!!! :eek:

Sorry, USA is going very well. 12 billion at last sale went in 2 hrs. you are referring to bankrupt UK, bankrupt japan, bankrupt sweden, bankrupt ireland, and soon to be bankrupt europe. so sad, quantitative easing losers.

thanks to china, USA is still doing A-ok

Go 10 year note, go!

Wow. 2.5%. Will it reach 1%? Its possible!

Only in amazing #1 USA.

Yankee Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry, USA is going very well. 12 billion at last sale went in 2 hrs. you are referring to bankrupt UK, bankrupt japan, bankrupt sweden, bankrupt ireland, and soon to be bankrupt europe. so sad, quantitative easing losers.

thanks to china, USA is still doing A-ok

Go 10 year note, go!

Wow. 2.5%. Will it reach 1%? Its possible!

Only in amazing #1 USA.

USA is now having a $25 trillion in debts and Obama's budget is likely to create another $9.3 trillion in debts. Such being the case, I wouldn't be suprised if the taxes get raised to sky high level after the recession. And if Europe actually goes bankrupt, its one large part of the world's economies. I'll be very worried. :eek:

livingstone

Alfrescian
Loyal
MOST EXPENSIVE

1 (6) Tokyo
2 (8) Osaka-Kobe
3 (2) Paris...

It all depends on many factors.... if you already own a house, living expenses ain't that bad in some of these places. If you need a house, then this will drive you crazy. Living expenses in Paris, for example, aren't as bad as Tokyo, if you do not take home ownership into consideration. You can get by with local fresh vegetables easily, and the stress of living is definitely lower in Paris than Tokyo. I won't give myself a chance to live in Tokyo.

But if you consider the house prices, then Paris can be horrible, or maybe worst than Tokyo. House prices slump in Tokyo alleviate the situation for many years.

But I live in the US... I live in a city where population density is still pretty low, so I bought a BIG house with 1.1% property tax for US$230,000... 1700 sq ft, and plenty of land for my backyard. I don't want to live in NYC.... I don't really like the city, but enjoyed it a lot as a tourist. I enjoy San Francisco for the atmosphere, and houses there are pretty affordable surprisingly. There are other nice places to live in the US.... if you like warmer weather, Austin, TX can be a nice place, or even Houston, TX. Plenty of jobs and nice places to go to. If you like to ski, Colorado.

It all depends on what you want, and where you are on the living standard ladder. My two cents.

livingstone

Alfrescian
Loyal
USA is now having a $25 trillion in debts and Obama's budget is likely to create another $9.3 trillion in debts. Such being the case, I wouldn't be suprised if the taxes get raised to sky high level after the recession. And if Europe actually goes bankrupt, its one large part of the world's economies. I'll be very worried. :eek:

Honestly... the debt situation began with Ronald Reagan (aka as a Republican).

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/index.php?year=2014

If you track the size of the government, George Bush simply expanded the economy and lower taxation during the good times, and thus injected huge deficits into the economy. He invaded Iraq and got US into a war that US cannot afford. The size of the government expanded from 33.5% in the last year of Bill Clinton to 37.3% under George Bush. Of course, Obama had to expand the government spending to stimulate the economy... in fact, all responsible governments should be doing this. Even China does this! Of course, the GOP doesn't like that at all.... it hurts them bad if the economy turns around. Under Obama's plan, the government spending expanded to 44%, but that's only for the first year, and it'll begin to decline from 2010... to a more stable 39%. Of course, 100 days cannot show anything. If you think it's a disaster, then Ronald Reagan should be a disaster to you too... because he expanded the government spending from Carter's 33% to 39% by the end of his term, and George Bush Sr. brought it back to 37.2%.

I validated all my information, and researched in detailed what the GOP and Dems said and presented. Honestly.... everyone fell into the trap of the media, and in this case, the Fox Channel. I think we need to be more vigilant when we made our analysis and assumptions.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fox News is like that, and Rush Limburgh is responsible

Good for you on your house. Looking at houses in some markets, Australians and Singaporeans have their mouths open in astonishment and envy at what Americans are paying for housing today.

Same goes for food. Those Stouffers US$1 per box are going for S$10.80 at cold storage with similar expensive pricing in Australia. A US$ 2-3 pint of haagen dazs is 15SGD. Same goes for milk, meat, and other foods. Even eating out at US restaurant chains is affordable, compared to australia or singapore. You are damm lucky to have your walmarts, targets, etc etc

Also Looking at the same Philips LCD TV in Target.com is available at best denki Singapore. USA price is 1K. SG price is 5K. Similar price in Harvey Norman Australia. There are many, many more examples......cars, furniture, etc.....

As a consumer, you are indeed very, very very fortunate!

livingstone

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fox News is like that, and Rush Limburgh is responsible

Good for you on your house. Looking at houses in some markets, Australians and Singaporeans have their mouths open in astonishment and envy at what Americans are paying for housing today.

Same goes for food. Those Stouffers US$1 per box are going for S$10.80 at cold storage with similar expensive pricing in Australia. A US$ 2-3 pint of haagen dazs is 15SGD. Same goes for milk, meat, and other foods. Even eating out at US restaurant chains is affordable, compared to australia or singapore. You are damm lucky to have your walmarts, targets, etc etc

Also Looking at the same Philips LCD TV in Target.com is available at best denki Singapore. USA price is 1K. SG price is 5K. Similar price in Harvey Norman Australia. There are many, many more examples......cars, furniture, etc.....

As a consumer, you are indeed very, very very fortunate!

Good and bad.... bad? Trade deficits. Good? Increase consumerism. I still live on very little. I averaged $3k a month, cleared all my debts, no more mortgages etc. I only upgraded my TV recently from a 21" to 42" LCD. If anything is bad, Americans should somehow cut back a little on overspending.... especially their credit cards!

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good and bad.... bad? Trade deficits. Good? Increase consumerism. I still live on very little. I averaged $3k a month, cleared all my debts, no more mortgages etc. I only upgraded my TV recently from a 21" to 42" LCD. If anything is bad, Americans should somehow cut back a little on overspending.... especially their credit cards!

Well Australia just posted a record 57 Billion Deficit today. lets not even go there. America just cant compare.

But at least we are not firmly entrenched in quantitative easing the way the Brits and Japs are right now.

At least China is still buying and our rates are still low. But we are in big trouble either way.

One thing about buying in stores. Some guy I once knew told me he buys 2 LCDs from Walmart every three months then returns it. That way he is getting it free. Done it it that way for 2 years now. America's return policies are a marvel. You cant do that anywhere else. I recently returned that Acer Mini 10" to Radio Shack. Its too small.