• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ξ Barclays Premier League Season 2015-16 Ξ

JurgenKlopp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ferdinand: Ferguson only wanted players with animal instinct at United

26 November 2015

rioferdinandalexferguson-cropped_g1vpykaws4go1rpttsebpbiyx.jpg

Manchester United's success under Alex Ferguson was down to the former manager's intense demands of his "animal" players, Rio Ferdinand revealed.

Ferguson stepped down in 2013 after 26 years in charge and a remarkable 38 trophies.

The Scot's silverware haul included winning the Premier League 13 times and two Champions Leagues, with Ferdinand part of six of those title-winning teams at Old Trafford.

United have struggled since Ferguson's departure two years ago and former centre-back Ferdinand thinks the manager's recruitment of certain players was the key to success.

"Ferguson got rid of players who didn't buy into the Man United way, for one, or weren't capable of being intense every day," Ferdinand told ESPN FC.

"That's why you don't remain at a place like Man United. If you're not an animal who can go in there and be intense every day and demand from yourself and others to improve, you won't stay long... and good riddance."

Ferdinand, 37, added: "It [attitude] comes from the manager, I think, and the players identify that and then go and start playing that out on a regular basis, but I think obviously you need the manager to set the tone, and then the experience being able to deal with it.

"I came in to a squad [in 2002] experienced at winning. For example, when I came in, I never knew how to win. I was looking around like a sponge and I had Roy Keane, [Ryan] Giggsy, [Paul] Scholesie in that dressing room.

"And if there's a point in the season where I thought, 'Oh, gotta win this one, is it a nervous time, or are you meant to be remain chilled, or what?' You're looking at these lads, and they're preparing the same every game; they're just focused every game, every day in training.

"Focused. That's the difference, having people like that who understand it and know it.

"And, what happens, I've been there. I was the one who learned, and I was the one who showed the way, so I've done both sides. I know you're not born with it but there's got to be someone in that changing room who you go to because he looks like he's so comfortable with the situation, knows it. I'll follow that."

JurgenKlopp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Vardy reflects on ´unbelievable´ record achievement

28 November 2015

965651header.jpg

Leicester City's Premier League record breaker Jamie Vardy tried to steer clear of the hype surrounding his history-making goal against Manchester United.

After 24 minutes of Saturday's match at the King Power Stadium, Vardy burst clear of the United defence to score for an 11th successive Premier League match - surpassing the previous record of 10 set by former Old Trafford great Ruud van Nistelrooy.

Bastian Schweinsteiger's maiden United goal in first-half stoppage time secured a 1-1 draw that leaves Leicester and Louis van Gaal's team second and third in the table respectively behind Manchester City.

Vardy's goal sparked wild celebrations, led by the man himself, who reflected on his remarkable feat in a post-match interview with Sky Sports.

"It's unbelievable. I think I got a bit carried away with myself," he said.

"There has [been a lot of pressure this week] but obviously if I let it get to me it's going to affect the performance so I've kept my head down and tried to concentrate on a game we could get three points in.

"I'm delighted but the main thing was the performance. We put a good shift in, I think a point was a fair result."

The England striker enjoyed a memorable tussle with international colleague and in-form United centre-back Chris Smalling throughout the match, while his goal on the end of a rapid counter-attack was in keeping with the style that has fired Leicester into the upper reaches of the table.

"Obviously we've got a lot of pace and counter-attacking is a big advantage for us," Vardy said. "If we can break from a corner to get a goal it's going to benefit the team.

"I knew it was going to be a battle. He [Smalling] has been one of best defenders this season. Hopefully for neutrals it was a good battle.

"We're a bit disappointed we conceded the goal bang on half-time but overall the point was a fair result."

Moyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho dismisses Drogba comments: He's just trying to sell books

2314052_heroa.jpg

By Oliver Platt
Nov 28, 2015 00:41:00

The Ivorian had suggested there was a lack of "big characters" in the dressing room at Stamford Bridge but his former coach has accused him of stoking up controversy

Jose Mourinho has dismissed comments from Didier Drogba suggesting Chelsea lack leadership, accusing his former striker of making controversial statements in order to sell books.

Drogba, who is promoting his autobiography, said in an interview that the Chelsea dressing room was full of "big names, big players and big characters" during his time at the club.

The Ivorian pointed out that only John Terry remained at Stamford Bridge from that group and called for other players to develop a similar mentality.

"When you speak because you want to sell books, I don’t read," Mourinho told reporters on Friday. "I don’t read.

"I like good interviews. I like interviews from big guys like Didier with good journalists, newspapers or television. But this is not an interview. It was to sell books.

"It doesn’t disappoint me. It was just the reality. It was just to sell books. I can analyse Didier’s interview with pleasure, but not Didier selling books."

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Klopp: Sturridge needs to learn what serious pain is

daniel-sturridge-cropped_qrcm363w77dm1628n50jb0xca.jpg

By Joe Wright
Nov 27, 2015 18:41:27

The Liverpool manager says the foot pain suffered by the striker ahead of his expected return against Bordeaux on Thursday is "completely normal"

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has played down Daniel Sturridge's injury, insisting that the forward must learn to tell the difference between "serious pain and what is only pain".

The 26-year-old striker was set to return from a knee injury in the Europa League clash against Bordeaux on Thursday but was missing from the teamsheet after complaining of pain in his foot in training.

Sturridge underwent further tests on the problem earlier on Friday and Klopp has moved to calm fears over another lengthy absence.

"It's not that serious," Klopp told reporters. It's completely normal after a long injury.

Asked if he is concerned by Sturridge's persistent injury woes, he added: "I cannot think this like you because I have not been here that long. But I understand.

"His body had to adapt to the new intensity of training and learn what is serious pain and what is only pain.

"Everyone wants him back on the pitch but we all have to learn. Training for him was intensive. But we have to stay patient. I am sorry for you, sorry for me, sorry for him.

"All the players from yesterday are in good shape. Does Daniel have a chance for Sunday? I don't know. But five weeks in a row without playing means he needs matches."

Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson trained on Friday but Klopp is wary of throwing him back into action too quickly.

"He wants to play but we have to wait," he said. "We'll see every day how he adapts to the intensity of the previous day."

Martinez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Everton to make late call on Barry and McCarthy

30 November 2015 14:58

966585header.jpg

Everton midfielders James McCarthy and Gareth Barry will undergo late fitness tests ahead of Tuesday's League Cup quarter-final against Middlesbrough.

McCarthy was withdrawn after 67 minutes of Saturday's pulsating 3-3 Premier League draw with AFC Bournemouth owing to a groin problem, while Barry is nursing a shin complaint having completed the match at the Vitality Stadium.

"We'll have a clear picture of James McCarthy's injury later today – and also Gareth Barry, who picked up a shin injury," manager Roberto Martinez said on Monday.

England left-back Leighton Baines is yet to feature in a competitive match this season, but travelled with the squad down to Bournemouth and Martinez is encouraged by his progress.

"Baines trained well yesterday," he said.

"He is medically fit now and it's just making sure we get the right feeling and he has confidence."

Martinez added that goalkeeper Joel Robles would be recalled for another League Cup outing having impressed during the last-16 penalty shoot-out win over Norwich City.

He said: "Joel Robles was man of the match in the previous round. He will start the game tomorrow."

Moyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Vardy reveals painful road to Premier League record

30 November 2015 11:44

966473header.jpg

Jamie Vardy has accepted playing through the pain barrier to seal his record Premier League scoring run.

The Leicester City striker scored for the 11th consecutive match in Saturday's 1-1 draw against Manchester United, surpassing Ruud van Nistelrooy's previous record of 10 during the Premier League era.

Schooled in non-League football during spells with Stocksbridge Park Steels, Halifax Town and Fleetwood Town, England international Vardy says he has come to recognise persistent niggles as a consequence of his all-action style of play.

"I think it's common knowledge now that I'm getting an injury every week," said Vardy, who was denied the opportunity to bring his prolific form to the international stage earlier this month by a hip problem.

"But I never want to not play. I want to play as many games as I can and help the team out.

"It's the way I play and, if I have to play through it sometimes, that's what I'll do.

"I took a little knock on the top of my foot [against United], but I've had it iced and I'm sure it will be fine by next week."

Vardy will seek to continue his record-breaking streak when Claudio Ranieri's side – who sit joint top of the table – travel to Swansea City on Saturday.

Depay

Alfrescian
Loyal

Premier League clubs reveal agent fees

30 November 2015 18:10

966693header.jpg

The amount of money paid by Premier League clubs to agents rose year on year to £129,857,560 between October 2014 and September 2015.

Clubs have been obligated to reveal the amount they spent on representatives during this period - which includes two transfer windows - since 2008, with the 2015/16 results confirming a rise.

The collective outlay grew from £115,261,136 to £129,857,560, with Liverpool spending the most on agents in the last two windows.

The Anfield club spent £14,301,464 this year - down slightly from last year - while Premier League new boys Watford spent the least with a bill of just £1,620,229.

Champions Chelsea spent £4,810,122 less on agents in the windows either side of their title success when compared to the previous year, with Manchester neighbours City and United among the big spenders.

City's agent bill dropped slightly to £12,429,380 while United's rose sharply from £7,975,556 to £13,881,814.

Top ten Premier League clubs' agent fees

Liverpool - £14,301,464
Manchester United - £13,881,814
Manchester City - £12,429,380
Chelsea - £11,961,206
Arsenal - £11,928,584
West Ham - £7,049,001
Tottenham - £5,987,052
Newcastle United - £5,946,031
Southampton - £5,391,172

Stoke City - £5,308,545

JurgenKlopp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lallana insists Klopp really is the normal one

2 December 2015 10:43

967551header.jpg

Adam Lallana has heaped praise on Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp and says he admires the German's sincerity towards his players.

Klopp jokingly described himself as "the normal one" upon his presentation as Liverpool boss back in October and Lallana feels the former Borussia Dortmund coach's description of himself was quite apt.

"Klopp really is brilliant to listen to," Lallana told The Telegraph. "He seems to have an off-the-cuff way about him. You can't imagine him sitting in his office preparing a team talk. He just goes with the flow and it’s all genuine. One hundred per cent.

"The way he describes himself as 'normal' is true. There is no ego, but an abundance of charisma and an aura. He means what he says.

"He'll be your mate, but not your best mate. He's not going to go for a pint with us after a match, but he'll call you into the office and have a chat if it's needed."

Lallana came through the same Southampton youth set-up that produced Gareth Bale and Theo Walcott, but insists he was never in the same bracket as that duo.

"I was a late developer. While Bale and Walcott had the 'X-factor', I was just gradually improving. I did not play my first full season until I was 21," he added.

"I was professional, but not to the point I should have been in terms of how I ate or how committed I was when I was younger. You have to be 100 per cent committed and professional from the youngest age or you won't cope.

"My first season in League One under Alan Pardew was a big year for me. It was a good thing for me to have two seasons in League One and grow. When we got to the Championship I was ready. By 24 and the Premier League I was captain and then [Mauricio] Pochettino came and that's where I stepped up."

Moyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Manchester City receive $400m Chinese investment

1 December 2015 09:58

966985header.jpg

The City Football Group, owners of Premier League leaders Manchester City, has announced a $400million deal with a consortium of Chinese investors led by media, entertainment, sports and internet operating company CMC Holdings.

Under the agreement, the consortium of CMS Holdings and CITIC Capital will take a shareholding of just over 13 per cent in the City Football Group. The deal values the group at $3billion.

Ruigang Li, chairman of CMC becomes a member of the City Football Group board, which increases from six to seven members.

Along with Manchester City, the City Football Group owns and operates Major League Soccer team New York City and A-League team Melbourne City. It also has a stake in Yokahoma F. Marinos of Japan's J.League.

A statement on Manchester City's official website said that the deal with CMC Holdings "will create an unprecedented platform for the growth of CFG clubs and companies in China and internationally, borne out of CFG's ability to provide a wealth of industry expertise and resources to the rapidly developing Chinese football industry".

Manchester City and City Football Group chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak: "Football is the most loved, played and watched sport in the world and in China, the exponential growth pathway for the game is both unique and hugely exciting.
"We have therefore worked hard to find the right partners and to create the right deal structure to leverage the incredible potential that exists in China, both for CFG and for football at large."

Martinez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea submit planning application for new stadium

1 December 2015 12:36

967056header.jpg

Chelsea have submitted planning permission for a new stadium at Stamford Bridge with an expanded seating capacity.

The Premier League side's application will now be examined by the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham.

"The council has received a full planning application to build a new football stadium within Stamford Bridge Grounds," a statement from the local government reads.

"Chelsea's application comprises the demolition of the existing stadium - which has a capacity of 41,600 seats - and other buildings within the ground, and the construction of a new larger stadium with a 60,000 seat capacity.

"Other features include stadium-related uses including a club shop and museum, plus a separate restaurant/cafe use."

Stamford Bridge was first opened in 1877 and mainly served as an athletics venue in its early years, with Chelsea playing their home games at the Bridge ever since their foundation in 1905.

Chelsea's home ground most recently underwent major changes in the late 1990s, with reconstruction of the west stand completed in 2001. At the same time the east stand had undergone an extensive refurbishment.

Depay

Alfrescian
Loyal

Aguero hints at Man City exit: I won't sign a new deal

sergio-aguero-cropped_12rd80rkfabb61a08p3ujexzse.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Dec 2, 2015 17:34:53

The Argentina international left his first club while still a teenager but remains an avid fan, and affirmed that in four years time he will be back in Avellaneda

Sergio Aguero has revealed that he intends to leave Manchester City for Independiente once his contract with the Premier League side expires in 2019.

The 27-year-old started his professional career with Independiente before leaving his boyhood club for Atletico Madrid in 2006.

He has not forgotten about Independiente, though, and aims to end his career at the club where it all started for him.

"I have always said that I want to return to Independiente and I will do just that," the Argentina international told So Foot.

"I will return to Independiente when my contract with City expires.

"I do not want to make my comeback when I am too old. If everything goes well, I will return to the club of my heart at the age of 31."

Aguero became the youngest player to debut in Argentina's Primera Division during his time at Independiente at 15 years and 35 days.

He made over 50 appearances for the club between 2003 and 2006.

DeBruyne

Alfrescian
Loyal

Stoke City v Manchester City: Walters fired up ahead of lunchtime clash

3 December 2015

968329header.jpg

Jonathan Walters is relishing the opportunity for Stoke City to put a dent in Manchester City's Premier League title aspirations on Saturday.

Manuel Pellegrini's side sit top of the table on goal difference ahead of their trip to the Potteries, but the Britannia Stadium has not been a happy hunting ground for City since Stoke's promotion to the top flight in 2008.

City have taken three points just once from their seven Premier League fixtures at the Britannia, and although that victory came in their most recent visit - a 4-1 win back in February - forward Walters is bullish about this weekend.

"I think we always fancy our chances against anyone and we've proved over the years that there is no fear at the Britannia," the Republic of Ireland international told the Stoke Sentinel.

"These kinds of games really get the stadium rocking, they generate a great atmosphere. It's one to look forward to.

"Some people might criticise their defence but they've got a great squad and their players are not at a team like Man City for no reason. They're top quality players, some of the best in the world.

"It will be a difficult game but on the back of the [League Cup] quarter-final we're full of confidence and can't wait for the weekend."

Saturday's meeting could prove to be a dress rehearsal for the League Cup final after both Stoke and City came through their midweek quarter-finals before being handed last-four ties with Liverpool and Everton respectively.

Stoke's 2-0 victory over Sheffield Wednesday saw them bounce back impressively after last weekend's defeat at struggling Sunderland - just their second loss in their last nine Premier League outings.

Only four points separate Mark Hughes' 12th-placed team from Liverpool in sixth, and Walters is determined to put their Stadium of Light disappointment behind them.

"We were on a great run before the Sunderland away game when we didn't get the result we wanted," the 32-year-old told talkSPORT.

"It's a very tight division this year. It's a strange old league. Hopefully we can go on a similar run now and get back up the league."

Stoke's misery at Sunderland was compounded by the dismissal of captain Ryan Shawcross, although the centre-back is available this weekend after serving his suspension against Wednesday.

Striker Peter Crouch limped off with a hamstring injury in midweek and is a doubt, but Mame Biram Diouf is set to return after missing the Wednesday game to attend the birth of his child.

City, meanwhile, have responded in style to back-to-back defeats to Liverpool and Juventus by comfortably beating Southampton and Hull City.

Pellegrini was boosted by the return of David Silva against Hull, but captain Vincent Kompany (calf) and Pablo Zabaleta (knee) are out of Saturday's game and it remains to be seen whether Sergio Aguero (heel) and Joe Hart (hamstring) are risked.

Eliaquim Mangala is banned, with Fernando (knock) and Jesus Navas (ankle) doubtful.

Key Opta stats:

- Stoke have won just two of their 14 Premier League meetings with Manchester City (D5 L7), and just one of the last 12.

- Sergio Aguero has bagged five goals in his five Premier League appearances against Stoke.

- Stoke have netted just seven goals in their 14 Premier League games against Manchester City.

- Manchester City have only managed two clean sheets in their last nine Premier League games after keeping six in a row directly before that.

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Manchester United v West Ham: Bilic defends Van Gaal from ´boring´ tag

3 December 2015

968427header.jpg

Slaven Bilic has defended Manchester United from accusations they play "boring" football as he prepares to take his West Ham side to Old Trafford on Saturday.

Louis van Gaal's tactics have come under increasing scrutiny following back-to-back draws with PSV and Leicester City, and a run of results that includes four 0-0 draws in their last eight games in all competitions.

Rumours have emerged this week that United are already considering replacements for Van Gaal, with Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri named in one report as the prime target to restore some swagger to the team's style.

Bilic, however, has praised the 20-time champions for their results so far this season, with United boasting the best defensive record in the Premier League and having gone unbeaten in the league since the 3-0 loss to Arsenal in early October.

"They are different than, let's say, the [Alex] Ferguson era, when especially at home they were electric, playing more vertically," he said. "But you say narrow victories, but they are victories.

"They're not conceding goals and somebody said they are boring, but they are not a team that is giving you the ball and defending.

"Especially at home, when the opponents are defending with numbers and are compact, you can't play very vertically. You need gaps and space behind or in between the lines of the opponent. That's hard to find.

"We can call it controlled football, we can call it patient football, but it is so far very effective because they are sitting good in the table."

United, who are a point behind leaders Manchester City heading into this weekend's matches, have a number of fitness concerns, with captain Wayne Rooney (foot), Phil Jones (foot), Ander Herrera and Jesse Lingard (both hamstring) all potential doubts.

Antonio Valencia (foot) and Luke Shaw (leg) remain sidelined and United have yet to address speculation that Marcos Rojo has sustained a shoulder problem in training this week.

Marouane Fellaini could be restored to the matchday squad after playing the full 90 minutes for the Under-21s in a 3-2 win over Liverpool on Monday, in which he scored.

West Ham could achieve the remarkable feat of becoming the first team in Premier League history to win away at Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester City and Manchester United in the same season with a victory - but a spate of injuries to attacking players leaves them with an uphill task.

Diafra Sakho (thigh) is out, along with Enner Valencia (foot) and Dimitri Payet (ankle), who has supplied five goals and three assists in 12 league matches this season.

Bilic is able to welcome back club captain Mark Noble, however, after he was banned for the 1-1 draw with West Brom last time out.

Key Opta stats:

- Manchester United are unbeaten in their last 13 Premier League meetings with West Ham, winning 11 and drawing two.

- West Ham have lost seven successive Premier League games at Old Trafford and have won only twice there in the Premier League era (W2 D0 L17).

- On their 19 Premier League visits to Old Trafford, West Ham have netted just 10 goals in total and have never scored more than one in a game.

- Both meetings between these two sides last season saw a man sent off - Wayne Rooney at Old Trafford in December and Luke Shaw at the Boleyn Ground in February.

- Wayne Rooney has scored three goals in his last three Premier League outings versus West Ham.

- The Red Devils have lost just two Premier League home games in 2015, a joint-league-low figure along with Arsenal and Tottenham.

SamAllardyce

Alfrescian
Loyal

Arsenal v Sunderland: Allardyce still wary of depleted hosts´ quality

3 December 2015

968426header.jpg

Sam Allardyce insists Sunderland will have to be on top of their game to claim an away win over Arsenal despite the injury problems that have ravaged the hosts.

Sunderland have pulled out of the Premier League relegation zone with a run of three wins in five matches, as Allardyce has started to make his mark on his new side.

The Wearsiders have not beaten Arsenal away from home in the league since 1983, but would appear to have a strong chance of ending that drought given the number of players absent from Arsenal's squad owing to injury.

Arsene Wenger without Jack Wilshere (ankle), Danny Welbeck (knee) and Alexis Sanchez (hamstring), while Francis Coquelin and Santiago Cazorla (both knee) are also unavailable along with Mikel Arteta (calf).

Tomas Rosicky remains on the sidelines with a knee problem, but Laurent Koscielny (hip) and Theo Walcott (calf) could feature in the squad as Arsenal aim to avoid a fourth straight league game without a win.

But Allardyce said of fourth-placed Arsenal: "I think the strength in depth of Arsenal's squad is why they've always qualified for Europe and finished in the top four.

"It weakens the side slightly, we have a better chance when those players are not playing, but they've still got a top-quality squad of international players throughout.

"If we can play our very best game, then those weaknesses may be able to be exploited. Our best form will be needed [even] if people consider Arsenal weaker without those players.

"We've got a particularly difficult December, the challenge for us is to maintain our results. The lads will hopefully show that confidence and determination on Saturday."

Sunderland have injury problems of their own, with Jermain Defoe is out because of a hamstring concern, Jack Rodwell unavailable with a similar problem and Sebastian Larsson nursing a knee issue.

Arsenal, despite their dip in form and injury worries, are just two points adrift of league leaders Manchester City and manager Wenger is confident his depleted side are up for the challenge of keeping pace at the top.

He told the club's official website: "I believe first of all it's always a disappointment to lose the players at an important moment of the season. But on the other hand, it's a great challenge to take for the team and a great opportunity to show that we are ready for a fight and we can deal with it.

"We prepared ourselves to go through periods like that, and I'm convinced the players are ready. We have gone through a little bit of a bad spell in recent games, but we are two points off the top

"The great opportunity for us is that, despite that bad spell, we are very close. That's why it's important that we keep our confidence high and our determination high, and start winning again.

"We want the crowd to be behind the team and help us to do it."

Key Opta Stats:

- Arsenal are unbeaten in their last 11 top-flight clashes with Sunderland (W7 D4) and have suffered defeat in just one of the last 23 versus them.

- Sunderland have now won as many league games in six games under Sam Allardyce as they had in 17 matches under Dick Advocaat (3).

- Allardyce has lost seven successive Premier League games against Arsenal and has not beaten the Gunners in the competition since May 2010 (Blackburn Rovers 2-1 Arsenal).

- French striker Olivier Giroud has had a hand in five goals in his five Premier League appearances against Sunderland (three goals, two assists).

- Sunderland goalkeeper Costel Pantillimon has made a league-high 59 saves this season in the Premier League.

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

West Brom v Tottenham: Dembele confident Spurs will be sharp

3 December 2015

968446header.jpg

Mousa Dembele believes West Brom's recent results serve as a warning to Tottenham not to underestimate the Midlands club ahead of Saturday's Premier League encounter.

Tottenham visit The Hawthorns unbeaten in 13 league games, their longest such run in the Premier League, and are just four points behind leaders Manchester City following last Sunday's 0-0 draw with Chelsea.

However, Mauricio Pochettino's men expect to be sternly tested by a West Brom team that have lost just two of their last six matches and followed up a 2-1 victory over Arsenal by coming from behind to draw 1-1 at West Ham last weekend.

Midfielder Dembele said: "There's a positive vibe in the group and the next game against West Brom, it's very important to continue that good vibe.

"The focus for those kind of games [versus teams in the bottom half] are maybe more difficult than this one [against Chelsea]. Nobody has to have a speech for these kind of games [against the top teams].

"But I think that's a thing we've learned this year – the 'small' teams, they're all difficult and everybody knows anyone can win against anyone. We have a lot of respect for everyone but we know we have to win these games if we want to be high up in the league.

"It's [West Brom's win over Arsenal] like a warning for us. I hope we're not going to underestimate them but I have confidence that everybody's going to be sharp."

Tottenham will be without Ryan Mason, Nacer Chadli, Nabil Bentaleb and Alex Pritchard (all ankle), but Dele Alli is back from suspension.

West Brom have no new injury worries, but Claudio Yacob is banned after picking up his fifth booking of the campaign at Upton Park last time out.

Tony Pulis' men have won just two home league games this season and, while captain Darren Fletcher has been pleased with West Brom's ability to overturn deficits to earn results against Arsenal and West Ham, he is keen for results at The Hawthorns to improve.

"It has been a stop-start season," Fletcher said. "We got a win against Arsenal, we now have Tottenham at home next, which will be a very difficult game.

"But if we can improve our home form, we have shown we can pick up points away from home. We believe we can get results at any match.

"We have got a great bunch of lads with a great spirit and I think it was epitomised in the last two games, going a goal down and coming back to get four points from the two of them. That shows a lot of character.

"Hopefully we can carry that on now and get a good performance for 90 minutes. If we do, I would fancy us against any side."

Key Opta stats

- Tottenham have lost just one of their last 11 Premier League meetings with West Brom (W5 D5 L1).

- West Brom have picked up just two points in their last five Premier League home matches against Spurs (W0 D2 L3).

- Tony Pulis has lost 99 Premier League games as a manager and his next defeat will see him become one of only 15 managers to have lost a century of games in the competition.

- Christian Eriksen has scored in three of Spurs' last four top-flight clashes with the Baggies, with his haul of three goals his joint-most against any opponent in the Premier League.

- Harry Kane has netted three goals in his two Premier League appearances against West Brom. Only against Leicester City has he scored more (4).

Moyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea v AFC Bournemouth: Hazard eyes top four as returning stars boost champions

3 December 2015

968556header.jpg

Eden Hazard is refusing to give up hope of a top-four finish ahead of Chelsea's Premier League clash with AFC Bournemouth on Saturday.

The champions have gone some way to putting their dismal early-season form behind them, with two wins, one draw and three clean sheets in their last three games in all competitions.

Jose Mourinho is also poised to welcome back a handful of first-team stars, most notably goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, who is on track to return to the first team following knee surgery and could be involved when Eddie Howe's men visit Stamford Bridge.

With captain John Terry - one victory away from becoming the fourth player to reach 300 Premier League wins - having shaken off an ankle problem, Ramires and Radamel Falcao expected to return from muscular complaints and striker Loic Remy available again after missing last week's 0-0 draw with Tottenham, Hazard is confident Chelsea can kick on during the hectic match schedule in December.

"We try to take game after game and win game after game," he said. "We won against Norwich, we drew [against Tottenham] and we play a good game at home next week which we have to win.

"We want to finish in the top four and we know it's difficult but we will try. We will continue to work hard and continue to take pleasure from our game."

Bournemouth travel to London having not won a Premier League game since September, but Howe's side will have been boosted by their dramatic 3-3 draw with Everton last week, when Junior Stanislas capped a remarkable late comeback to secure a point with a late header.

The south-coast club have struggled to cope with a string of injury problems but Stanislas hopes they will head to Stamford Bridge with confidence following that game with Roberto Martinez's side.

"We are going to be buzzing for the next game now, although our heads never really dropped anyway because the last two or three games we played really well," he said.

"It's been hard with injuries, but with injuries come opportunities. We scored three goals against a really good team so we go into the next game full of confidence so hopefully we can get something."

Bournemouth have something of a goalkeeper crisis ahead of the game, with Artur Boruc and Adam Federici having both visited a specialist to examine respective knee and ankle problems.

Ryan Allsop would start against Chelsea if neither were available, while 18-year-old Jordan Holmes has been recalled from a loan deal at Weymouth as extra cover.

Harry Arter (hamstring) is a doubt, along with Lee Tomlin (groin) and Marc Pugh (calf). Tommy Elphick (ankle), Christian Atsu (shin), Tyrone Mings, Max Gradel and Callum Wilson (all knee) remain sidelined.

Key Opta Stats:

- Chelsea have won their last three competitive meetings with AFC Bournemouth without conceding a goal.
- The Cherries have won on four of their last five league trips to London (L1).
- Chelsea are unbeaten in their last 43 home league games against newly-promoted teams (W37 D6), last losing to top-flight new-boys in April 2001 (0-1 v Charlton).
- Eden Hazard is one goal away from hitting 50 for Chelsea in all competitions, but he is without a goal in his last 24 games for the Blues (in all comps).
- The Cherries have shipped a total of 18 goals away from home in the top-flight this season, a joint-league-high figure (along with Newcastle United and Sunderland).

- Since the start of 2014-15, only Cesc Fabregas (20) has provided more assists in the top-four tiers of English football than Matt Ritchie (19).

Martinez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Newcastle United v Liverpool: Klopp in the dark over hosts´ troubles

4 December 2015

968985header.jpg

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp may not be fully aware of Newcastle United's current shortcomings but has warned his side not to take their task lightly at St James' Park lightly this weekend.

Klopp's men make the trip to the north east off the back of a convincing 6-1 rout of Southampton in the League Cup - Daniel Sturridge scoring twice as Liverpool made it four straight wins in all competitions.

With confidence high on Merseyside amid steady progression in Klopp's short time at the club, they will be heavily fancied to win comfortably against a Newcastle side struggling in 19th.

Liverpool have scored 86 goals against Newcastle in the Premier League, more than any other team, and, even with the likely absence of Philippe Coutinho (hamstring), should have more than enough to ask questions of a fragile Newcastle side.

Klopp - who has come out on top against McClaren twice in the dugout when the pair coached Borussia Dortmund and Wolfsburg respectively - maintains Liverpool cannot take anything for granted.

"I had seven years at Dortmund, seven years at Mainz. So in my opinion [stability is] very important," said the German, who has Emre Can suspended this weekend.

"But it can work in different ways. I don't know about the history of Newcastle but I know Steve McClaren and his quality and his experience. We have to be aware.

"I'm still a new manager here. I can't tell you something about Newcastle. I know a bit of their problems in the last year. They thought they needed to buy players and so on, Newcastle haven't played in Europe for a while, so information in Germany was not easy to get.

"If I need to know more of Newcastle, I would take information. We have to play football against them."

Former England manager McClaren has been given a rude awakening to life at St James' Park, acknowledging confidence was low in the dressing room following last weekend's 5-1 hammering at Crystal Palace.

As Newcastle return to St James' Park - where they have won just once in their last seven league games - defender Mike Williamson will be absent after tweaking a hamstring in training shortly after being recalled from a loan at Wolves.

"[Klopp] is a quality coach, I know him well from Dortmund in Germany," McClaren explained this week.

"I have played against [Dortmund] a couple of times. I can see Dortmund in his Liverpool team. But we have to claw our way back and come through it.

"We have to see some light and then keep going. We have good players and they need to come through this.

"The way they are playing there is effort there, it is just a lack of confidence."

Key Opta stats:

- There have been a total of seven red cards shown in the last seven top-flight meetings between these two sides (the last six all for the Magpies with the one before that for the Reds).

- Daniel Sturridge has bagged six goals against Newcastle in the Premier League - more than against any other side.

- Liverpool have averaged 6.9km more and 84 sprints more per game under Jurgen Klopp than Brendan Rodgers in the top-flight this season

- Newcastle are one of three sides yet to benefit from a goal scored by an English player this season. Southampton and Stoke City are the others

- Steve McClaren met Jurgen Klopp twice in the 2010-11 Bundesliga season, with Klopp's Dortmund winning both games against Wolfsburg, 2-0 at home and 3-0 away.

JurgenKlopp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Injured Ings ruled out for season after setback

5 December 2015

969308header.jpg

Danny Ings will not play again this season, after the Liverpool forward suffered another injury setback.

Ings was dealt a cruel blow when he injured his cruciate knee ligament after appearing to be settling at Anfield following his off-season move from Burnley.

The 23-year-old had initially hoped to be back in action within six months but has since been advised by specialists the first prognosis had been too optimistic.

"When I got the injury I said straight away I will play again before the season finishes," Ings told NBC Sports.

"But I think with the advice I've had of the surgeons and physios, I know they won't risk me and I don't want to risk it myself.

"This is all about the highs and lows of football. I was at the happiest point of my career and then, at the time of the injury, I felt like I was at my lowest point."

Ings sustained the long-term injury while training at Melwood in October, less than two weeks after scoring in the Merseyside derby against Everton.

The forward - who won his first England cap just days before the incident - was enjoying a run of games for the first time at his new home and revealed the heartache of receiving the devastating news.

"I just felt like I got my foot in the door," Ings said.

"I was becoming established here at Liverpool, playing games and scoring goals, keeping my place in the team and had made my debut for England, then somebody took that all away from me.

"It is absolutely gutting because football has been my life. If I can't do what I love doing then it is like someone having their kids taken away from them.

"That is how I felt. I know that I am going to come back extremely strong."

Baines

Alfrescian
Loyal

Koeman: Mane won´t be sold - even for £100m

5 December 2015

969302header.jpg

Ronald Koeman claims Southampton would not sell Sadio Mane in the January transfer window, even if they were offered £100million.

Mane was the subject of interest from Louis van Gaal's Manchester United towards the end of the close-season window and the south-coast club are bracing themselves for further advances.

Bundesliga giants Bayern Munich have reportedly also taken a shining to the Senegalese forward, but Dutch manager Koeman closed the door on a move away for the 23-year-old.

Asked if he would consider selling any of his players next month, the Koeman replied: "No, no, not in January. Already we spoke about that situation. We sell nobody in January.

"Nobody - not even if they pay £100m."

Mane impressed in his debut Premier League campaign last season, netting the division's fastest-ever hat-trick (two minutes, 56 seconds) against Aston Villa.

The pacey winger has returned with three goals and five assists in 14 league games this season but Koeman maintains he still sees areas in need of developing.

"I think he can still improve in some cleverness to know what his position is on the pitch, both inside and outside," he said.

"I think still he can be more dangerous if he knows exactly the moment to have that movement in the space behind the defenders.

"In front of the goal he can be more of a scoring player but he is young - 23 years old - and a great player. It is a pleasure to work with him."

Depay

Alfrescian
Loyal

Injuries will not force signings - Pellegrini

5 December 2015

969295header.jpg

Manuel Pellegrini sees no reason to bring players to the club during the January transfer window, despite Manchester City suffering a league-high number of injuries.

City have suffered 36 separate injuries - most of which have been soft-tissue problems - but Pellegrini maintains his confidence in the squad, insisting he sees no need to recruit reinforcements.

Injuries could potentially play a key role in undermining City's title challenge this season, however, the Chilean boss is satisfied with his current crop of players.

"The squad for this year is ready," Pellegrini said. "We are not thinking to replace for the amount of injuries we’ve had. Really, we are not thinking about that.

"I am so happy with the position we are in at this moment in every competition."

Pellegrini attributed the high-tempo of the Premier League for his team's unusually high number of injuries, avoiding the opportunity to blame his medical staff.

"It’s the reality of lots of different clubs," he said.

"Not only our team. I think Arsenal have the same problem. Liverpool has the same problem. Real Madrid has the same problem.

"So when you have to play so many games, especially here in the Premier League, that it's so intense every game, and so often it is not easy for the players not to have muscle injuries."

City Football Group announced a £265million deal with Chinese consortium CMC this week, leading to speculation the Manchester club are set to make a move for Lionel Messi.

Pellegrini believes City are one of a cluster of teams that can compete for the world's best and said he is always interested in signing high-quality players.

"If you want to be the most important people in football or one of the most important, you must be able to bring all the best players here," he said.

"We are always trying to do it but it is not easy because there are a lot of clubs, five or six, that can do it also.

"That depends on the style, in the work but it is important not to give advantage in the options you have to buy those players."