• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ξ Barclays Premier League Season 2015-16 Ξ

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho: I have no crying prima donnas at Chelsea

2003572_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Oct 2, 2015 23:25:00

The 52-year-old insists communication between players and management has been key and is adamant he has no issues with publicly singling out people for criticism

Jose Mourinho insists there are no ‘crying prima donnas’ in his Chelsea team and has revealed that he is openly criticising senior players during team meetings.

Mourinho has described his current run at Stamford Bridge is “the worst period in my career” as the Premier League champions have registered just two wins from seven Premier League games, while they head into Saturday’s clash with Southampton following a 2-1 defeat to Porto in the Champions League.

The 52-year-old has already indicated that he is unhappy with the performance levels of some of his players but is adamant that his team will not “hide” during their poor run of results.

“There is an animal that puts its head in the ground - an ostrich,” said the Chelsea manager.

“In the bad moments, you cannot do that and just wait for a better moment to come, or for the problems to be resolved by themselves. Or waiting for the moon to change and give you better vibrations. You make mistakes, you are in a bad moment, no ostrich, head up, face the problems, speak, work and for me this is the way.

“Sometimes, players on the pitch don’t want the ball. They hide. It’s the worst thing: you lose two or three matches, the next match you play at home and you don’t want to be there. I had players like this, even in big clubs.

"But I think we showed against Arsenal that we don’t have that profile. We came against Arsenal in a worse run than now, after Crystal Palace and Everton, and everybody was there. I don’t think we’ll be in trouble not to have the desire and personality to play.”

“We all communicate openly. There are no prima donnas crying. Everyone wants to do well and accepts the criticisms, and when you make mistakes you have to speak about it. You know what I call that? In football? ‘Coaching’.

“I don’t have prima donnas who cannot be criticised and, of course, in front of the other players. Because I ‘coach’. When I criticise the mistake of my right-back Ivanovic and Ola Aina is present, it’s an education for him. When I criticise a mistake by Gary Cahill and John Terry it is in the meeting, if he hasn’t been playing, he knows what I want. If I criticise Willian for his movement, Pedro Rodríguez, a player I have only worked with for a few weeks, is listening and learning.

“I like the group to speak. I stimulate the group to speak. Sometimes, when they don’t do it enough, I ask questions so there is more communication.

"So, for Porto’s second goal on Tuesday, I asked the goalkeeper: ‘The goal is not your fault, but did you communicate enough? And were you speaking with the zone man, maybe somebody comes from behind, to anticipate that space? Did you speak with him enough?’ It’s normal. [Asmir] Begovic said he did, but that he could do it in a more persuasive way. So he can do better.

“[Branislav] Ivanovic likes to speak with me about his mistakes, and is not crying. He’s not crying, he’s not a prima donna, and I’m critical with him. We speak about what he has to do to try and improve. Simple as that. But he’s a fantastic player. He’s not playing well but he’s a fantastic player.”

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

IN FULL: Rodgers' statement after Liverpool sacking

1850352_heroa.jpg

Oct 5, 2015 17:50:00

The 42-year-old insists it has been "an honour and a privilege" to have managed the club and has reiterated that the current squad is "in transition"

Brendan Rodgers admits he has been left “incredibly disappointed” after being sacked by Liverpool.

The 42-year-old was dismissed following Liverpool's 1-1 draw with Everton at Goodison Park on Sunday which left the club 10th in the Premier League with three wins from eight games.

Rodgers joined Anfield in 2012 and nearly guided Liverpool to the Premier League title in his second season before finishing runners-up to Manchester City.

Jurgen Klopp is the preferred candidate to replace Rodgers, with Carlo Ancelotti also in the running.

RODGERS’ STATEMENT TO THE LMA IN FULL...

“I am, of course, incredibly disappointed to be leaving Liverpool Football Club. It has been both an honour and a privilege to manage one of the game’s great clubs for the last three years.

“I have worked every day to represent the club to the best of my ability, to develop both individual players and a team that the club’s magnificent fans can be proud of. There have been some very memorable moments during my time at Liverpool and I would like to thank all of the players for their hard work and commitment.

"The current squad is one in transition, but they have some real talent and are showing a strong sense of togetherness. I expect to see them continue to grow and develop over the coming weeks and I wish them and my successor well for the rest of the season.

“Liverpool has a magnificent football heritage and I have nothing but respect and admiration for the history, tradition and values that make the city and the club so exceptional. As well as my players, I would like to thank everyone connected with the club; Fenway Sports Group, the Liverpool Directors, in particular Ian Ayre, my coaching staff, the staff throughout the club, the volunteers, the Academy staff and its young players and of course the amazing Liverpool fans for their unwavering support, passion and dedication which has made my time at the club so special.

“Finally, I would like to give a special mention to John W. Henry, Tom Werner and Mike Gordon. They gave me this great opportunity and even though we will no longer be working together I am sure our relationship and friendship will continue into the future.”

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho charged with misconduct

jose-mourinho-chelsea-champions-league-15092015_2jbhpw504lyv1pajhp6t2exku.jpg

Oct 5, 2015 17:38:27

The Portuguese embarked on a remarkable seven-minute rant after the club's defeat to Southampton, and has now been reprimanded by the FA following his comments

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has been charged with misconduct for his post-match comments in the wake of the Blues' 3-1 defeat to Southampton.

Mourinho embarked on a seven-minute rant after the loss, insinuating that referees are "afraid" to give decisions to his side after seeing Radamel Falcao booked for simulation with the score at 1-1.

"The result at 1-1, there's a huge penalty [claim] and once more, we don't get it," he told Sky Sports. "And a penalty's a crucial moment in the game, with the result at 1-1. I repeat, if the FA wants to punish me they can punish me, they don't punish other managers, it's not a problem for me.

"I want to repeat, my players deserve it. Chelsea fans deserve it. I am a Chelsea fan too. The referees are afraid to give decisions to Chelsea.

"Why? Because when they give there is always a question mark from you. There is always a question, always a critic. We are always punished. We are punished because Diego Costa is suspended. In other matches we see the same thing and it doesn't happen.

"Clear penalties are not given. And with us, it's one and one and one and one. Even in the Champions League, which is a game with not three officials but with five. We are not given a penalty in the last minute."

Mourinho has now been reprimanded by the FA, as he predicted he would be, and the Portuguese has until 6pm on October 8 to respond to the charge.

Chelsea have struggled in the Premier League this season and currently sit 16th in the Premier League, having won just two of their opening eight games.

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cruyff criticises Van Gaal and Mourinho

johancruyff-cropped_1mhpppsicw9a10xvo9abe8myh.jpg

By Joe Wright
Oct 6, 2015 18:31:00

The former Barcelona and Ajax boss has discussed the problems facing the two managers after Manchester United and Chelsea both lost over the weekend

Barcelona icon Johan Cruyff has criticised Manchester United's style under manager Louis van Gaal and the behaviour of Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho.

United were convincingly beaten 3-0 by Arsenal on Sunday having gone into the weekend in first place in the Premier League, with Van Gaal angry at his players' failure to implement their game plan following the defeat.

Cruyff, however, claimed the 20-time champions do not dominate matches as they should and urged United to play a brand of football which supporters will appreciate.

2028752.jpg

"He doesn't dominate. I like dominating football. Manchester doesn't play like that," he told Sky Sports News.

"I don't think so [that Van Gaal is too cautious], but it's strange that against strong teams they've got good results and with weak teams they've had difficulties. That's a strange situation.

"But the results I think are second. The game is first. Money is very important but always second. In England they play different, everybody has their own style. A mix of styles is always good.

"The most important part are the fans, that people going home are happy. It's their time off and you should give them something to enjoy."

Cruyff went on to accuse Mourinho of putting himself in the spotlight too often following Chelsea's dismal early-season form and controversy surrounding the manager.

Mourinho had a dispute with his medical staff at the start of the season, which sawy physio Eva Carneiro leave the club, while he was also charged with misconduct by the Football Association following a post-game rant against officials after their 3-1 loss to Southampton.

2003572hp2.jpg

"He's controversial. What I like about him is he's always capable of creating good ambience within the players and what I don't like is that he always puts himself on the first row. He should be on the second row," Cruyff said of the former Real Madrid boss.

"It's probably because of his background, where he's never been cheered by 100,000 people, or whistled at by 100,000 people. Maybe it's because of that, maybe because of the interest from the press, but I don't think he is educating children to play football or educating for life.

"He should behave better because he will be in the press all over the world.

"With Chelsea I enjoy some individual players, but I think they have better players on the bench then playing."

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Amalfitano released by West Ham

morgan-amalfitano-cropped_1cv3fpyrkbvpd1l1swqa9ai83v.jpg

Joe Wright
Oct 6, 2015 21:39:00

The 30-year-old had been frozen out at Upton Park following a breach of club discipline earlier this year

Morgan Amalfitano has left West Ham by mutual consent, the Premier League club have confirmed.

The 30-year-old had been frozen out of the first team by manager Slaven Bilic after a breach of club discipline earlier this year.

Amalfitano was ordered to stay away from West Ham training in August after he clashed with Bilic following his failure to attend a team meeting and has not featured outside of the ill-fated Europa League qualifying campaign this term.

A statement on the club's website read: "The 30-year-old midfielder has departed the club after 13 months at the Boleyn Ground, in which he made 32 appearances and scored three goals.

"The Hammers would like to thank Morgan for his efforts during his time with the club and wish him well in his future career."

Bilic explained earlier this year that he considered Amalfitano's exclusion from the squad as essential to sustain dressing-room harmony.

"I said what I said. I have to protect the team," he said.

"These things are not new in any football club. My first job is to keep the team as a unit in the best possible way.If I feel someone is damaging it, I have to react.

"It was no brawl in front of the players, it was a quiet meeting when I explained the situation. I had to do it."

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Klopp set to jet into Liverpool to finalise Reds deal

1460532_heroa.jpg

The former Borussia Dortmund manager is poised to replace Brendan Rodgers at Anfield and may be unveiled by the club on Friday, with talks having progressed well

By Melissa Reddy

Jurgen Klopp is expected to jet into Liverpool on Thursday to finalise a three-year deal with the club, Goal understands.

Klopp has been identified as the Reds's primary target to replace Brendan Rodgers, who was sacked at the weekend following the club's 1-1 draw with Everton.

Goal understands that Klopp will travel to the city via a private plane to pen his agreement, and the Reds are confident of finally unveiling him on Friday.

Liverpool have twice attempted to secure Klopp's services on previous occasions, and talks to secure the German have been encouraging, with the Anfield hierarchy believing that the 48-year-old can lift the mood around the club and entice the best out of the current playing squad.

The former Borussia Dortmund coach is also believed to be keen to bring his former assistant Zeljko Buvac and coach Peter Krawietz with him to Anfield.

Baines

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ronaldo REVEALS the full extent of Sir Alex Ferguson's hairdryer treatment

2036922_heroa.jpg

Oct 6, 2015 00:15:00

The Real Madrid forward has revealed what the Scot used to do during his team talks at Manchester United when things were not going his way...

It appears that even Cristiano Ronaldo wasn't immune to Sir Alex Ferguson's infamous hairdryer treatement.

The former Manchester United manager was known to lose his temper in the dressing room, and in the BBC's upcoming documentary 'Sir Alex Ferguson: Secrets of Success', which will be aired at 10.30pm on October 11, Ronaldo revealed the full extent of the Scot's wrath.

"I remember sometimes when we do something bad or we lost some games he kick the chairs and he kick the boots, he kick everything, the waters, the drinks, and he’s so red and ‘f**k you, you should pass the ball you," said the Real Madrid forward.

"it was unbelievable but it was good - because we learn."

Martinez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sevilla rule out move for United outcast Valdes

6 October 2015

923571header.jpg

Sevilla have ruled out making a move to sign Manchester United goalkeeper Victor Valdes.

The former Barcelona man has only featured twice in competitive action for Louis van Gaal's side, the last time in a 1-1 draw with Hull City on the final day of the Premier League last season.

Van Gaal has stated Valdes will not play for him again at United after accusing him of refusing to turn out for an Under-21s fixture earlier this year, though the 33-year-old remains on the books at Old Trafford.

Sevilla had consequently been linked with an offer but club president Jose Castro has denied any interest.

"Valdes is not an option," he told Europapress. "We have no intention of finding goalkeeping cover.

"We have three or four players for that position and Sergio Rico is the one closest to keeping it for many years.

"If we have good keepers, we don't have to go looking elsewhere for them."

Valencia have also been linked with a potential bid for Valdes in recent weeks.

Martinez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Keane slams Sunderland hierarchy after Advocaat exit

6 October 2015

923396header.jpg

Roy Keane has hit out at the Sunderland hierarchy following Dick Advocaat's resignation as manager.

The experienced Dutchman left his position at the Stadium of Light after the 2-2 draw with West Ham, a result which left the club without a win from their first eight Premier League matches.

Former Sunderland boss Keane was asked for his view on the situation as he spoke to the press ahead of Republic of Ireland's crucial Euro 2016 qualification tie against Germany and did not hold back in an apparent dig at owner Ellis Short, who sacked him in 2008.

The Ireland assistant manager said: "That is Sunderland, isn't it?

"A brilliant club but while I can't comment on why different managers have left or have been sacked, people in the background probably need to take a look at themselves.

"If they had left me alone I would probably still be there now and I wouldn't be having to chat to you."

Sam Allardyce, Sean Dyche, Walter Mazzarri, David Moyes and Nigel Pearson are the leading candidates to replace Advocaat.

The next man in will be charged with reviving the fortunes of a side who sit 19th, already five points adrift of safety.

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho: Ferguson knew I didn´t want United job

6 October 2015

923172header.jpg

Alex Ferguson never considered Jose Mourinho to potentially succeed him at Manchester United because he knew of the Portuguese manager's desire to return to Chelsea.

Mourinho left Real Madrid and started his second stint at Chelsea when he signed a four-year deal in June 2013.

That came just a month after Ferguson had announced he would retire, with David Moyes replacing him at United.

But Mourinho said the Scot knew of his want to return to Stamford Bridge, meaning he was never considered for the United job.

"Every manager in the world looks at Man United as a huge club but I wanted to come to Chelsea," he said during an interview for a BBC documentary.

"And we didn't bring that to the table because we were so open and he knows so much about myself that he knew that for almost a season, I want to leave Real Madrid and I want to come to Chelsea."

Such was the relationship between Mourinho and Ferguson, the former claims the 73-year-old told him of his decision to retire months before the news was public.

Mourinho said he was worried the information would come out.

"He told me a huge secret, not many people knew, like, one month or two months before the decision," he said.

"I know that he trusts me, because if he doesn't, he doesn't tell me but I was scared.

"I was scared so when finally he informed the media about this decision it was a sense of relief."

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers expects transitional Liverpool to improve following sacking

5 October 2015

922938header.jpg

Brendan Rodgers says he expects a Liverpool squad "in transition" to improve over the coming weeks following his sacking as manager on Sunday.

Rodgers saw his three-year spell at Anfield come to an end following a 1-1 draw with Everton at Goodison Park, with Liverpool having made a disappointing start to the campaign.

The Northern Irishman helped Liverpool challenge for the Premier League title in 2013-14 but has failed to get close to those heights since.

With Jurgen Klopp and Carlo Ancelotti the front-runners to replace him, Rodgers suggested his successor will have a sufficient quality in his squad to enjoy success.

"I am, of course, incredibly disappointed to be leaving Liverpool Football Club. It has been both an honour and a privilege to manage one of the game’s great clubs for the last three years," he said in an LMA statement.

"I have worked every day to represent the club to the best of my ability, to develop both individual players and a team that the club's magnificent fans can be proud of.

"There have been some very memorable moments during my time at Liverpool and I would like to thank all of the players for their hard work and commitment.

"The current squad is one in transition, but they have some real talent and are showing a strong sense of togetherness. I expect to see them continue to grow and develop over the coming weeks and I wish them and my successor well for the rest of the season.

"Liverpool has a magnificent football heritage and I have nothing but respect and admiration for the history, tradition and values that make the city and the club so exceptional.

"As well as my players, I would like to thank everyone connected with the club; Fenway Sports Group, the Liverpool Directors, in particular Ian Ayre, my coaching staff, the staff throughout the club, the volunteers, the academy staff and its young players and of course the amazing Liverpool fans for their unwavering support, passion and dedication which has made my time at the club so special.

"Finally, I would like to give a special mention to John W. Henry, Tom Werner and Mike Gordon. They gave me this great opportunity and even though we will no longer be working together I am sure our relationship and friendship will continue into the future."

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Fowler: I´d love to join Klopp at Liverpool

6 October 2015

923637header.jpg

Former Liverpool striker Robbie Fowler says he would jump at the chance to work as a coach under Jurgen Klopp at Anfield.

Klopp is one of the clear favourites to succeed Brendan Rodgers as manager at the club, after the former Swansea City boss was sacked following the 1-1 draw with Everton on Sunday.

Fowler has admitted the chance to join the team under the ex-Borussia Dortmund coach or Carlo Ancelotti, another reported target, would be difficult to turn down.

"I'd love to be on the backroom staff. The club was a massive part of my life, and if that were to be the case, I'd absolutely love that," he said.

"He [Klopp] is a very good manager. Looking as an outsider, I was impressed with his performances for Dortmund.

"I like what I see, but it's the same with Carlo Ancelotti. I like the way they are with their teams.

"They play good football - the football they deserve at Liverpool."

Fowler accepts Rodgers paid the price for failing to deliver silverware during his three-year spell at Anfield but has rejected suggestions he should be considered a "failure".

"Brendan did okay. He never got us to what we wanted, which was to win the league, he came very close but I don't think he was a failure as such," the 40-year-old added.

"Football is a results business. If you're not winning leagues or cups, questions will be asked. But I liked him as a man, a manager."

Ancelotti

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti out of Liverpool running: I'll be back next season

carlo-ancelotti-real-madrid-ludogorets-uefa-champions-league-12092014_6t19ni3wxfnq1szbxkfy5yn3j.jpg

Oct 7, 2015 07:57:42

The former AC Milan coach is planning to take time away from management from the rest of the season as Jurgen Klopp edges closer to Anfield

Former Real Madrid and Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti has ruled out a move to Liverpool - but says he intends to return to management next season.

Ancelotti had been touted as a possible replacement for Brendan Rodgers at Anfield, but Goal understands frontrunner Jurgen Klopp will pen a three-year-deal with the club on Thursday.

The 56-year-old, who has been out of work since his sacking from the Bernabeu at the end of the 2014-15 season, claims he is happy to take a season out of the spotlight before taking on a new role.

He told the Associated Press at the Inspiring Leaders Awards on Tuesday night: "I enjoy my time now but of course I want to come back to manage - to work - because it is my passion.

"I want to take my time to rest, but next season I am ready."

Depay

Alfrescian
Loyal

Elber: Klopp should SNUB Liverpool & wait for Bayern

1458482_heroa.jpg

Oct 7, 2015 08:00:00

The former Borussia Dortmund boss is believed to be on the verge of joining the Reds to succeed Brendan Rodgers but the ex-striker believes he should reject the move

By Christoph Köckeis

Former Bayern Munich striker Giovane Elber believes Jurgen Klopp should snub Liverpool and instead succeed Pep Guardiola at the Allianz Arena.

Goal understands that Klopp is set to jet in to Liverpool on Wednesday in order to finalise the details of his contract, and it is believed that the Reds could unveil the former Borussia Dortmund manager on Friday.

Elber, though, is perplexed by the move and says that Klopp should continue his sabbatical before joining the Bavarian giants, with the 43-year-old believing that Guardiola will leave Bayern in 2016.

Speaking to Goal in an exclusive interview, he said: "Why would Klopp go to England? He belongs to Germany, the Bundesliga needs him. He should recover for a year now, at FC Bayern there is action all the time.

“He needs the strength to resist the pressure. I believe he will be Bayern manager in the summer of 2016.

“Yes, I would be happy if he becomes Bayern's manager."

Elber believes that Guardiola’s silence over his Bayern future is an indicator that he will leave the club, and he insists that Klopp would be a perfect replacement for the former Barcelona boss.

"It is obvious that Bayern are waiting for Pep Guardiola,” he added.

"Right now we’re in October and there is still no decision. So I think that he won't renew his contract and leave Munich next summer.

“And Jurgen Klopp is a big name, a manager who proved at Dortmund what he is able to achieve. He is a German manager, he knows the Bundesliga and was in the Champions League final with Dortmund. If he is available, Bayern have to react."

SamAllardyce

Alfrescian
Loyal

Klopp will struggle to recreate Dortmund magic at Liverpool

2039982_heroa.jpg

Oct 7, 2015 07:30:00

The 48-year-old had a difficult final season with BVB and his high-intensity style is hard to create and even harder to maintain - but is his spark and energy all that's needed?

By Ewan Roberts

The Jurgen Klopp effect is already kicking in. The toothy, floppy-haired German has not even agreed to move to Liverpool yet but already there is a buzz of anticipation around a club that is daring to dream again. This is what he does, enthusing and energising clubs from the bottom up, a defibrillator in human form carved out of enamel and hair follicles.

In amongst the euphoria, though, is an almost completely ignored note of caution. Does Klopp still possess his old magic?

Little under a year ago, Borussia Dortmund entered the winter break second from bottom of the Bundesliga, denied the ignominy of propping up the table only by virtue of their goal difference. Across the last three seasons under Klopp, they have accumulated 77 fewer points than champions Bayern Munich. At a point when Brendan Rodgers has been axed for losing pace with the Premier League leaders, Liverpool’s owners have turned to a manager who has endured much the same trajectory.

The first image conjured when thinking about Klopp and his Dortmund side is a rather romantic one; a swarm of yellow and black shirts, a team constantly pressing, constantly in transition, constantly entertaining – especially en route to back-to-back titles and in stark contrast to the sideways, prosaic football Louis van Gaal was preaching at the Allianz Arena at the time, and which is now boring visitors to Old Trafford.

But that was not the case last year, when the manager’s style began to feel just a little bit dated and tired.

Opposition teams started to work out how to read Dortmund’s pressing triggers, and how to stop their attack – they sat deeper, backed off, denied space and countered themselves – and Klopp increasingly asked his side to go more direct in reaction to the stubborn defences his side were trying, and failing, to break down. They attempted more long balls last season than in any other campaign under the 48-year-old, their 74 long balls per game a 9.7 per cent increase on their previous average.

That was, in fact, one of the first things successor Thomas Tuchel addressed after taking over, advocating a slightly less breathless style and shorter passing game; BVB now average 53 long balls per game, the lowest in the Bundesliga – lower even than Bayern – and 28% down on Klopp’s final year in charge.

Dortmund’s frustrations against sides prepared to sit deep will have a certain resonance with a Liverpool outfit who have come unstuck in similar circumstances, and Klopp’s lack of a solution is a little worrying. Last season, for example, the four games in which BVB had most possession (ranging from 67% to 71% - or “football death” territory, as Rodgers once dubbed it) they won none, scored once, created just two big chances (as defined by Opta) and lost twice.

The identity with which they are so closely associated began to erode too; they made far fewer defensive actions in the opposition’s half and scored just six counter-attack goals, significantly down on division leaders Bayer Leverkusen, whose high-pressing, fast-acting version of gegenpressing under Roger Schmidt feels much more akin to the BVB of old, even ramping up the work rate and pedal-to-the-metal tempo.

Ultimately, Klopp’s final season felt very much like the end of a cycle and the expectation is still that, having recharged his batteries and with a new, mouldable and enthusiastic squad at his disposal, he should be able to tap back into the style of play that won so many fans and took Dortmund to the Champions League final.

Yet there are huge question marks over how sustainable that style is, and Klopp himself has underlined the need to constantly refresh the squad.

Quite aside from how much say he’ll have in such reshuffles while the much-maligned transfer committee remains in place at Liverpool – at Dortmund he replaced Shinji Kagawa with Marco Reus, while Rodgers was given Rickie Lambert to fill Luis Suarez’s enormous void – the fear is that a side cannot be asked to run through brick walls every week without breaking down. If you deal exclusively in kampfen - in “fighting football” - eventually you’ll be left black and blue – especially when setbacks are addressed by asking the side to work even harder, to become “angry hunters”.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, no side in the Bundesliga suffered more injuries than BVB last season, picking up twice as many muscle problems, and missing twice as many days, as fellow press-masters Leverkusen (who can count on former Dortmund fitness coach Oliver Bartlett). Yet even Schmidt’s side could not maintain their electric standards into the second half of last season, their tempo and drive noticeably dipping as fatigue grew, and, in England, Klopp will be faced with even more obstacles: four extra games in the league, an additional cup competition, and no winter break.

Another issue, less immediately problematic for Liverpool, is how unsustainable it is in the long-term to carry a team on the force of personality alone. There is only so long a manager can continue to galvanise and lift others, only so long that passion can fuel a side.

“You need change to make the next step in the team’s development,” Klopp told the Guardian. “If I say go left, they would say: ‘You’ve told us that 200 times – we don’t want to hear your voice anymore.’”

The passion-soaked, rabble-rousing speeches that could have been lifted out of 'Henry V' start to lose their impact, the tried and tested words of inspiration become a little stale – especially if Klopp’s own doubts over his command of English prove accurate. Liverpool know this problem well; Rodgers read out letters from players’ mothers before kick-off during their run at the title, striking a chord with the squad, but such David Brent-like motivational techniques became corny, desperate even, over time.

Not dissimilarly to how Jose Mourinho creates a sense of paranoia and constructs a siege mentality, Klopp has always enforced the idea of his side as the underdog bidding to write themselves into folklore, something that captivated a squad filled with Dortmund fans who once cheered on their beloved Schwarzgelben from the stands. But after a while, a champion becomes embarrassed by playing the victim, while David wants to become Goliath, and so Dortmund’s favourite sons have routinely switched allegiance to Bayern.

No amount of bear-hugs and fatherly advice could keep his best players from departing, Kagawa to Manchester United, Nuri Sahin to Real Madrid, and Mario Gotze and Robert Lewandoswki to Bayern. He is not going to arrive at Anfield and immediately subvert the narrative that Liverpool always have to sell their best players, or even that they can thrive without them. After all, Dortmund fell apart without the Polish striker last season, much as Rodgers was left flailing without Suarez and Daniel Sturridge.

Right now, though, Liverpool don’t have to worry too much about if or how it could unravel over time. Klopp’s methods may fade, but right now the Reds are crying out for someone to galvanize and invigorate them, and he’ll do exactly that – and with third and fourth spot so attainable this year, his ability to light the fuse and send a bolt of lightning right to the soul of a club can kick-start their season.

Change may be as good for Klopp as it was for the side he left behind, and his powers of motivation and inspiration will have the Reds hitting their peak fast - but if he wants to hang around for a while, he'll need to ensure he can go one better than Rodgers did.

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Heskey: Rodgers sacking is strange

rodgers-liverpool_1taf397is93av1pvxrig02q5zx.jpg

By Alec Fenn
Oct 7, 2015 18:51:20

The former England striker was left bemused by the Reds' decision to sack their head coach so early on in the campaign and raised doubts over their top-four credentials

Emile Heskey says Liverpool's decision to sack Brendan Rodgers was "strange" and believes Jurgen Klopp must aim for the top six if he is appointed at Anfield.

The Reds parted ways with Rodgers following Sunday's 1-1 draw with Everton at Goodison Park after a poor start to the season which sees the club sat in 10th place in the Premier League.

Former Borussia Dortmund boss Klopp is the firm favourite to be named his replacement, but Heskey admits he was surprised by the lack of patience afforded to Rodgers to turn things around.

Speaking at the Leaders in Sport Business summit, he said: "I found it strange at first because they gave him so much time to build but then didn't give him time for it to come to fruition.

"But three years without a trophy at Liverpool is a no-no."

Heskey - who spent four years as a Liverpool player between 2000 and 2004 - also outlined the task facing Klopp as he prepares to take charge.

"Everybody has good things to say about Klopp so it would be interesting to see how he does at Liverpool. "I think once you finish second people think you need to push on from there but that was a real achievement.

"The target is top four. They finished second but I don't think they were quite there. They lost their best player [Luis Suarez].

"The team looked to him as a big brother. Nine times out of 10 he was the one who would dig them out of trouble. You are looking at someone building a squad that's top six. I don't think they are quite top four."

DeBruyne

Alfrescian
Loyal

Schurrle: Mourinho WILL get Chelsea back on top

ireland-germany-european-qualifiers-08102015_zlgibt89pu071rw445o3saf9d.jpg

By Ronan Murphy
Oct 8, 2015 23:20:28

The Wolfsburg man, who fell out of favour under the Portuguese at Stamford Bridge, says the Blues have the quality to get back to their very best

Germany forward Andre Schurrle says Jose Mourinho will get Chelsea back to the top of the Premier League table despite a disappointing start to the season.

The Blues boss has come under pressure after overseeing six defeats already this season with Chelsea offering the Portuguese a vote of confidence following their latest loss to Southampton.

Schurrle, who managed eight goals in 30 appearances for Chelsea, before leaving for Wolfsburg after falling out of favour at Stamford Bridge is backing Mourinho to turn things around for the champions.

F021BCB8DB76E01EAAB505CBFED9DE15.jpg

"I am not happy that Chelsea is in this position,” he told Goal.

“I still like this club and the players because I am still in touch with them.

“I am not happy that they are there. But I think with their quality and with this manager they will get back to the top."

Schurrle featured for Germany on Thursday, replacing Mario Gotze, as the world champions crashed to a shock 1-0 defeat to Republic of Ireland in Euro 2016 qualifying.

DeBruyne

Alfrescian
Loyal

Klopp named new Liverpool boss

8 October 2015 21:58

924910header.jpg

Jurgen Klopp has been named as Liverpool's new manager.

Liverpool sacked Brendan Rodgers last Sunday after an underwhelming start to the season, and the club have moved quickly to replace him with former Borussia Dortmund boss Klopp.

Klopp, who left Dortmund at the end of last season, has jumped at the chance to manage Liverpool, who have won just two of their last nine games in all competitions.

The 48-year-old's seven-year spell at Signal Iduna Park yielded two Bundesliga titles, a DFB-Pokal and a run to the 2013 Champions League final, where Dortmund were beaten by domestic rivals Bayern Munich.

Upon leaving Dortmund in May, Klopp insisted he would take a sabbatical from the game to recharge his batteries.

However, the lure of Liverpool has proven too strong and the German is likely to take charge of his new team for the first time in next Saturday's Premier League fixture at Tottenham.

Klopp arrived in Liverpool on Thursday to find the media waiting for him, the former Mainz player and coach at one point effectively confirming his imminent appointment during a brief interview given to a journalist through the intercom of his accommodation.

A grainy picture of the popular, multilingual tactician standing on his hotel balcony fuelled excitement further.

But it was not until Liverpool tweeted pictures later that day of Klopp signing his contract that the worst kept secret in European football was confirmed as a done deal. He will face the media for the first time as Liverpool boss on Friday.

Depay

Alfrescian
Loyal

Carragher issues transfer fund warning to Klopp

8 October 2015 20:58

924815header.jpg

Jamie Carragher thinks Jurgen Klopp may have to wait until the close-season before he has the money needed to land major transfer targets as he edges closer to becoming the next Liverpool manager.

Klopp arrived on Merseyside on Thursday, with Liverpool expected to confirm the former Borussia Dortmund coach as successor to Brendan Rodgers at a news conference called for Friday.

Speculation of Dortmund players past and present being reunited with Klopp at Anfield is likely to snowball, but Carragher has warned that the German could need to be patient after Rodgers spent heavily in the build-up to this season.

"I don't know if he's been promised funds, but Liverpool spent a lot of money in the summer," the former Liverpool defender told Sky Sports.

"The owners are not Roman Abramovich types. A lot of the club's money for this season may have been spent, and it may be next summer when he can get the players he really wants.

"January is always a difficult time.

"But if he can get one or two players in that he thinks can push Liverpool on, I'm sure the club would allow him to do that.

"When a manager is talking to a club about joining, he absolutely wants to bring in his own players because things have not been going well."

Carragher, now a media pundit after hanging up his boots, sung the praises of Klopp, as he added: "He's certainly come with a fantastic CV."

Langerak

Alfrescian
Loyal

Arsenal and Chelsea fined by FA after feisty encounter

8 October 2015 19:24

924752header.jpg

Chelsea and Arsenal have received fines from the Football Association (FA) following the ill-tempered clash between the teams at Stamford Bridge last month.

According to an FA statement released on Thursday, reigning Premier League champions Chelsea and FA Cup holders Arsenal must pay £40,000 and £30,000 respectively and have been warned over their future conduct for failing to ensure their players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion during the match.

Arsenal had Gabriel and Santi Cazorla sent off in the 2-0 loss to Jose Mourinho's team, while the hosts' Diego Costa was later charged and suspended for three matches for his part in a flashpoint with Laurent Koscielny that took place late in the first half.

Costa also clashed with Gabriel, who was dismissed for kicking out at the striker after a bout of verbal jousting, although the Brazilian's own three-game ban has since been rescinded by the FA.

Watford, meanwhile, have been charged for failing to ensure their players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion late in their 1-1 draw at Bournemouth on October 3.

The club has until 6pm (BST) next Monday to respond to the charge.