• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The scandalous wickedness of the state

unclesam

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2015/05/the-scandalous-wickedness-of-the-state/

By Vincent Wijeysingha

I wrote the following last weekend but did not publish it until now because Amos Yee’s case was still sub judice.

I avoided making any public comment on the Amos Yee case because parties associated with the People’s Action Party (PAP) would seize upon anything to suggest that some eminence grise was behind his video, that Amos was being exploited for some perverse political enterprise. This accusation is regularly leveled at opponents of the PAP.

When five SMRT drivers were in jail following the bus drivers’ strike in 2012, the authorities showed them a photo of me and asked if they recognised me. No doubt someone was most anxious to divert the story from that of labour discrimination to one of political manipulation.

However, tonight, as I contemplate the conclusion of the trial and await the judge’s verdict next Tuesday, I have one or two things I feel I must say even if only the Internal Security Department (ISD) pays attention!

In all of my forty-five years, I have never been so disgusted, so ashamed to be a Singaporean as I have in these last 6 weeks watching the state torment and bludgeon a teenage boy who had, in its opinion, the temerity to utter sentiments that, if the truth be told, many, many people were feeling in the wake of Lee Kuan Yew’s death. I need not rehearse the points made by Amos in his fateful video post but I’d wager there are many who did not share the public mourning and did agree with Amos that the man who was being so lamented had a tremendously dark side which resulted in terrible outcomes for the people whom he made his enemies and that, therefore, his passing from the political stage was welcomed. I am one of them: I welcome his passing from the loathsome, crepuscular political stage he engendered.

I was so profoundly disgusted to watch the state use all the means at its disposal to throw a bulwark against this boy for fear that the sacrosanct memory of the departed prime minister might be tarnished. Can anyone be blamed for entertaining the suspicion that the real reason they treated him thus was not because of his obscenity or his harassment or his sedition but plainly and simply to safeguard the former prime minister whose posthumous reputation will be so useful to the PAP’s vote share at election time?

Not content to put the fear of, well, god, into him, the public authorities arrested him in his grandparents’ home, handcuffed him and hauled him away, remanded without adult protection for days before they put him in front of a judge. And as if to compound or underline the government’s bellicosity, the state-run media published downright untrue headlines about the case.
Drawing by Roy Ngerng

I was disgusted and ashamed to watch a child handcuffed and shackled in my name, and wearing a nauseatingly ugly prison uniform while surrounded by any number of policemen. This treatment has continued every time Amos has been brought to court and no public body or official thought it apposite to enter an objection. Each time I read that Amos was so shackled, I wonder what threat the public authorities believe this skinny sixteen year old poses to public safety.

Well, let me tell them there is none. This boy is not violent; he is neither a danger to himself nor to others. He only offended by his words. There was no reason whatsoever to treat him the way the police did. And speaking as a social worker who has worked for many years with children, I am so very deeply concerned at the long-term damage this experience will do to him.

To watch the state deal with a gifted child on the threshold of a lustrous adulthood, the government utters a fundamental untruth when it says that people are our only resource. In fact, its only resource is its own reputation, however beleaguered it currently is. And to extend it, it would bully a child.

There is no public official today who can be proud of himself for the treatment dealt to this boy well before he was convicted of any offence. Even the shameful spectacle of the public prosecutor bargaining for a reduction in Amos’ bail conditions if he would submit to psychological assessment had nothing whatsoever to do with the purpose of bail, which is to compel subsequent attendance in court. Amos is not a flight risk. Therefore the suspicion that the state intended to make life as difficult for him as possible cannot have escaped the mind of anyone who has paid attention to the case.

That the state considered the utterances of this boy to endanger the reputation of a two thousand year old institution and the memory of a world renowned statesman, widely considered the father of his nation, was testament not so much to the virulence of his words but to the scandalous wickedness of the state which punishes a young boy for daring to offend the memory of the PAP’s founder and jeopardise his electoral utility.

I am nauseated by how the justice system has treated this boy. And every parent, every social worker, every teacher, should be equally scandalised. To me, not a lawyer, this is a repudiation of the sacred confidence we vest in our courts. Tonight, the state stands indicted before the court of natural justice.

I sincerely and earnestly hope the PAP will suffer for so doing come election time.

Why has no public body raised its voice in defence of this boy? Why did the Director of Social Welfare, whom we charge to safeguard vulnerable children, not assume her statutory duty and inquire into his wellbeing. Why did she not make appropriate inquiries when he disclosed parental abuse? She cannot pretend to be ignorant because the entire nation was aware of how he was abused at home and in public. Until this moment no social worker has called for this young man to be protected rather than attacked and assaulted. As a social worker I am so thoroughly ashamed of the members of my profession, of social work teachers at SIM and NUS, of the Singapore Association of Social Workers, who have refused, in craven cowardice, to raise their voices in defence of a child whose “crime” was to say something that some, and only some, considered objectionable.

That stranger who hit Amos outside the State Courts encapsulated and summed up the state’s attitude to Amos. And it is this: that if you challenge the status quo, the received wisdom, the reputation of those with power, you will be hammered and bludgeoned. His entitlement to punch Amos was an entitlement he believed conferred upon him: he watched how the state dealt with Amos and felt himself justified in replicating it. And the state has confirmed this view by keeping his identity private while splashing Amos’ identity all over our media, both print and broadcast. As if to quantify and codify the prevailing temper, that so-called journalist, Bertha Henson, cheered from her cowardly sideline when Amos was assaulted. That malevolent woman, together with everyone who approved of the unprovoked assault on Amos, has forfeited her right to be regarded any more as a human being because she has connived in the abuse of a child. To harm a child is inhuman; to cheer when it is done is anti-human.

The state which has played out this sorry saga must hang its head in shame. Amos Yee was not just assaulted on the piazza of the State Courts, he was assaulted by Singapore itself. It is no longer, no can it be, a return to business as usual. Because our community and our government have today descended to the depths of depravity where children are beaten in public, where the system closes an eye as we shackle and handcuff them, where journalists cheer as children are assaulted, where newspapers write misleading headlines.

All in the name of protecting a dead politician whose enormous reputation and, indeed, many misdeeds, have neither need for nor right to protection.

This post was first published as a facebook status on Mr Vincent Wijeysingha’s facebook page.

Attachments

• vw.jpg
    vw.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,163

bitchy

Alfrescian
Loyal
A classic article by Mr Vincent Wijeysingha

Me too feel shameful to being called a Singaporean

Donations to:

Amos Yee Pang Sang
POSB Saving Account
#124-91889-8

Attachments

• dbs.jpg
    dbs.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 939

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
HONG KONG — A teenager who posted a video criticizing Lee Kuan Yew......was convicted.....on Tuesday.........

His arrest .....brought a renewed focus on Singapore’s reputation for tight limits on expression.
Officials there have pursued legal cases against critics and foreign news media outlets including The International Herald Tribune, now the International New York Times.....................

The case against Mr. Yee set off criticism over the city-state’s handling of critical speech.

Criminalizing free expression by anyone who dares mock the powers that be is a tried and true practice of the Singapore government, and Amos Yee is the
latest victim
,” said Phil Robertson, the Bangkok-based deputy director of Human Rights Watch’s Asia division.

Another speech case in Singapore has also attracted attention. Ai Takagi, a 22-year-old Australian woman, and Yang Kaiheng, a 26-year-old Singaporean man, were charged with sedition in April over a series of blog posts on their website The Real Singapore, which is now defunct, that criticized foreign workers in the city-state. The pair are accused of promoting “feelings of ill will and hostility between different races or classes of the population of Singapore.”

Foreigners make up about one-third of Singapore’s work force, and their growing numbers have led to concerns about demands on public resources and competition for jobs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/13/world/asia/amos-yee-lee-kuan-yew-singapore-convicted.html?_r=0

What the New York Times think about Amos's convictions.

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Foreigners make up about one-third of Singapore’s work force, and their growing numbers have led to concerns about demands on public resources and competition for jobs.

You will never hear about this from the SPH dogs.

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
ALL Singapore Civil Servants Ought To Be Ashamed. SHAME ON ALL OF U...

The scandalous wickedness of the state

http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2015...-of-the-state/

By Vincent Wijeysingha

I wrote the following last weekend but did not publish it until now because Amos Yee’s case was still sub judice.I avoided making any public comment on the Amos Yee case because parties associated with the People’s Action Party (PAP) would seize upon anything to suggest that some eminence grise was behind his video, that Amos was being exploited for some perverse political enterprise.

This accusation is regularly leveled at opponents of the PAP.When five SMRT drivers were in jail following the bus drivers’ strike in 2012, the authorities showed them a photo of me and asked if they recognised me. No doubt someone was most anxious to divert the story from that of labour discrimination to one of political manipulation.

However, tonight, as I contemplate the conclusion of the trial and await the judge’s verdict next Tuesday, I have one or two things I feel I must say even if only the Internal Security Department (ISD) pays attention!In all of my forty-five years, I have never been so disgusted, so ashamed to be a Singaporean as I have in these last 6 weeks watching the state torment and bludgeon a teenage boy who had, in its opinion, the temerity to utter sentiments that, if the truth be told, many, many people were feeling in the wake of Lee Kuan Yew’s death.

I need not rehearse the points made by Amos in his fateful video post but I’d wager there are many who did not share the public mourning and did agree with Amos that the man who was being so lamented had a tremendously dark side which resulted in terrible outcomes for the people whom he made his enemies and that, therefore, his passing from the political stage was welcomed.

I am one of them: I welcome his passing from the loathsome, crepuscular political stage he engendered.I was so profoundly disgusted to watch the state use all the means at its disposal to throw a bulwark against this boy for fear that the sacrosanct memory of the departed prime minister might be tarnished.

Can anyone be blamed for entertaining the suspicion that the real reason they treated him thus was not because of his obscenity or his harassment or his sedition but plainly and simply to safeguard the former prime minister whose posthumous reputation will be so useful to the PAP’s vote share at election time?Not content to put the fear of, well, god, into him, the public authorities arrested him in his grandparents’ home, handcuffed him and hauled him away, remanded without adult protection for days before they put him in front of a judge.

And as if to compound or underline the government’s bellicosity, the state-run media published downright untrue headlines about the case.

I was disgusted and ashamed to watch a child handcuffed and shackled in my name, and wearing a nauseatingly ugly prison uniform while surrounded by any number of policemen.

This treatment has continued every time Amos has been brought to court and no public body or official thought it apposite to enter an objection. Each time I read that Amos was so shackled, I wonder what threat the public authorities believe this skinny sixteen year old poses to public safety.Well, let me tell them there is none.

This boy is not violent; he is neither a danger to himself nor to others. He only offended by his words. There was no reason whatsoever to treat him the way the police did. And speaking as a social worker who has worked for many years with children, I am so very deeply concerned at the long-term damage this experience will do to him.

To watch the state deal with a gifted child on the threshold of a lustrous adulthood, the government utters a fundamental untruth when it says that people are our only resource. In fact, its only resource is its own reputation, however beleaguered it currently is. And to extend it, it would bully a child.

There is no public official today who can be proud of himself for the treatment dealt to this boy well before he was convicted of any offence.

Even the shameful spectacle of the public prosecutor bargaining for a reduction in Amos’ bail conditions if he would submit to psychological assessment had nothing whatsoever to do with the purpose of bail, which is to compel subsequent attendance in court. Amos is not a flight risk.

Therefore the suspicion that the state intended to make life as difficult for him as possible cannot have escaped the mind of anyone who has paid attention to the case.

That the state considered the utterances of this boy to endanger the reputation of a two thousand year old institution and the memory of a world renowned statesman, widely considered the father of his nation, was testament not so much to the virulence of his words but to the scandalous wickedness of the state which punishes a young boy for daring to offend the memory of the PAP’s founder and jeopardise his electoral utility.

.I am nauseated by how the justice system has treated this boy. And every parent, every social worker, every teacher, should be equally scandalised. To me, not a lawyer, this is a repudiation of the sacred confidence we vest in our courts. Tonight, the state stands indicted before the court of natural justice.I sincerely and earnestly hope the PAP will suffer for so doing come election time.

Why has no public body raised its voice in defence of this boy? Why did the Director of Social Welfare, whom we charge to safeguard vulnerable children, not assume her statutory duty and inquire into his wellbeing. Why did she not make appropriate inquiries when he disclosed parental abuse? She cannot pretend to be ignorant because the entire nation was aware of how he was abused at home and in public. Until this moment no social worker has called for this young man to be protected rather than attacked and assaulted.

As a social worker I am so thoroughly ashamed of the members of my profession, of social work teachers at SIM and NUS, of the Singapore Association of Social Workers, who have refused, in craven cowardice, to raise their voices in defence of a child whose “crime” was to say something that some, and only some, considered objectionable.

That stranger who hit Amos outside the State Courts encapsulated and summed up the state’s attitude to Amos. And it is this: that if you challenge the status quo, the received wisdom, the reputation of those with power, you will be hammered and bludgeoned. His entitlement to punch Amos was an entitlement he believed conferred upon him: he watched how the state dealt with Amos and felt himself justified in replicating it.

And the state has confirmed this view by keeping his identity private while splashing Amos’ identity all over our media, both print and broadcast. As if to quantify and codify the prevailing temper, that so-called journalist, Bertha Henson, cheered from her cowardly sideline when Amos was assaulted. That malevolent woman, together with everyone who approved of the unprovoked assault on Amos, has forfeited her right to be regarded any more as a human being because she has connived in the abuse of a child.

To harm a child is inhuman; to cheer when it is done is anti-human.The state which has played out this sorry saga must hang its head in shame. Amos Yee was not just assaulted on the piazza of the State Courts, he was assaulted by Singapore itself. It is no longer, no can it be, a return to business as usual. Because our community and our government have today descended to the depths of depravity where children are beaten in public, where the system closes an eye as we shackle and handcuff them, where journalists cheer as children are assaulted, where newspapers write misleading headlines.

All in the name of protecting a dead politician whose enormous reputation and, indeed, many misdeeds, have neither need for nor right to protection.

This post was first published as a facebook status on Mr Vincent Wijeysingha’s facebook page.est analogy so far. ....

xpo2015

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: ALL Singapore Civil Servants Ought To Be Ashamed. SHAME ON ALL OF U...

Can summarise what he is loh sohing about?

unclesam

Alfrescian
Loyal
Neo Gim Huah is a grassroots leader in Tanjong Pagar GRC and he is a new citizen...

Attachments

• Neo.jpg
    Neo.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 680

greenies

Alfrescian
Loyal

All world media think his case as anti-Lee issue, not religious issue.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32700788 ---> Amos Yee: Singapore teen behind anti-Lee video found guilty
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32604122 ---> Amos Yee: The boy who criticised Lee Kuan Yew
http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...pang-sang-charged-critical-lee-kuan-yew-video ---> Singapore teenager charged over critical Lee Kuan Yew video
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...know-about-lee-kuan-yews-legacy-10146756.html --->Singapore's arrest of a 16-year-old YouTuber is all you need to know about Lee Kuan Yew's legacy
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-likening-late-founding-leader-to-Hitler.html ---> Singapore teen arrested for likening late founding leader to Hitler
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-...ges-over-lee-kuan-yew-video-singapore/6360604 ---> Singaporean teenager Amos Yee faces court, charged over anti-Lee Kuan Yew YouTube video
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/51369251976205386/ ---> Police arrest Amos Yee over anti-Lee Kuan Yew video

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Neo Gim Huah is a grassroots leader in Tanjong Pagar GRC and he is a new citizen...

In organisations like the army, university,... if someone commits a criminal offence they face disciplinary action by that organisation. Since the courts have found this Neo guilty of assault, will the PAP kick him out of the grassroots club :confused:

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
In organisations like the army, university,... if someone commits a criminal offence they face disciplinary action by that organisation. Since the courts have found this Neo guilty of assault, will the PAP kick him out of the grassroots club :confused:

watever on de surface...frm now onward...he get a lot of aircon contract frm papies...beautiful term for such corruption..."networking"...:biggrin:

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal
Amos is now the youngest political prisoner of the PAP.

We have a facist regime governing the country.

I was full of praise for LKY during my school days when i read how he lined our boulevards with instant trees to give us the shade from the humid weather.

But since 1982, when they lost Potong Pasir and hit on the toddlers by closing the kindergarten there. i began to change my views slowly. To date, they still continue with their unethical practice of hammering those who are not on their sides ,like taking away Dr. Tan Cheng Bock NDP tickets. Dr. Tan has dutifully served the nation for 19 years.

Now with the images of a child, handcuffed and shackled on all four limbs it showed how an uncaring the authorities are on young children.

Is there any World body that can take action against a cruel government for this child abuse act.??

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

How can LHL kick out the head of its thug unit?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was full of praise for LKY during my school days when i read how he lined our boulevards with instant trees to give us the shade from the humid weather.

You see, it is easier and more effective to use propaganda on impressionable, malleable young minds, teaching them of the greatness of LKY and PAP. Even the concept of a 'clean and green city' could be used to milk propaganda points.

In school, you would never hear of LKY's treacherous flip-flops during the early years... LKY was the solitary shining beacon of light who vanquished the Pommies and the commies, and was bullied to tears by the Big Bad Tunku ("typical of Muslim m&ds in Mudland!").

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No need for any world body.
You hold the power.
Remember to tell everyone you know to vote wisely next GE

But since 1982, when they lost Potong Pasir and hit on the toddlers by closing the kindergarten there. i began to change my views slowly. To date, they still continue with their unethical practice of hammering those who are not on their sides ,like taking away Dr. Tan Cheng Bock NDP tickets. Dr. Tan has dutifully served the nation for 19 years.

Now with the images of a child, handcuffed and shackled on all four limbs it showed how an uncaring the authorities are on young children.

Is there any World body that can take action against a cruel government for this child abuse act.??

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: ALL Singapore Civil Servants Ought To Be Ashamed. SHAME ON ALL OF U...

Can summarise what he is loh sohing about?

Imho Vincent merely called a spade a spade in exposing all the hypocrisy and self-interests that is ailing Singapore society today which manifested itself in the prosecution of a 16-year old; in the way the government press reported the case and in the deafening silence of the people/agencies who could have spoken up on behalf of Amos but did not. In the end, shackled Amos was duly convicted and demonised in the process. Where are you Singapore Association of Social Workers? So many NGOs and welfare agencies etc but no one said a thing.