• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Goh chok tong: I can see an avalanche of social issues coming

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]GOH CHOK TONG: I CAN SEE AN AVALANCHE OF SOCIAL ISSUES COMING[/h]
Post date:
24 Apr 2015 - 11:05am

Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong thinks that the Singapore society will go through a major upheaval.

"I can see an avalanche of social issues coming," he said this at the launch of the National University of Singapore (NUS) Social Service Research Center today.
"The social challenges of Singaporeans in the next 50 years will be drastically different from those in the last 50," he also said.

Mr Goh also said that he "social climate change" is currently happening in Singapore and "takes place imperceptibly and you see the effects only long after it has become irreversible", The Straits Times reported.

Mr Goh also said that he believed that three things will influence social change in Singapore, namely on demography, technology and social expectations.

On demography, he pointed to the "an aging and declining population" and how cross-border marriages will make Singapore more diverse and which could have effects on the Singapore identity.

He also said that technological change and the use of mobile devices and social media will have an effect on social interactions.

Mr Goh also felt that there is a rising middle class which might have different social expectations, as well as fears of what to expect of the future.

As such, he said that more research should be done to understand these changes.

The Social Service Research Center has thus been set up to work with "policy makers and social service agencies to develop and test social programmes and services", it was reported by The Straits Times.

The Straits Times also reported that the centre will be led by Professor Paul Cheung and Associate Professor Irene Ng. They arre both from the NUS's social work department.

Mr Goh is not the first person to mention that social change has been affecting the social fabric in Singapore. Many academics and civil society actors as well as the media have been pointing out the effects of not only how immigration and demographic changes will affect Singapore, but also how the economic policies of the current ruling party, the People's Action Party, and the cultural erosion, also has an impact on Singapore.

For example, just last month, the Lien Centre for Social Innovation at the Singapore Management University launched the Handbook on Inequality, Poverty and Unmet Social Needs in Singapore.

“There is growing public awareness and increasing government action to address the diverse needs of the diverse group of low-income Singaporeans," Dr Tan Chi Chiu, Chairman of the Lien Centre for Social Innovation, said.

Mr Jonathan Chang, Centre Director of Lien Centre for Social Innovation, also said that the handbook "has been more than three years in the making".

Clearly, social issues have taken centre stage over the past few years and it is perhaps the government that has not responded as swiftly.

For example, even as Singapore today has the highest income inequality and poverty among the developed countries, Minister for Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth Lawrence Wong still claimed last year that income inequality has stabilised and then-Minister for Social and Family Development Chan Chun Sing also refused to define a poverty line, in spite of Singapore having an estimated poverty rate of 30 percent.

In fact, when Associate Professor Tilak Abeysinghe pointed out that 30 percent of Singaporean households have to spend 105 to 151 percent of their incomes and cannot earn enough to even spend on basic necessities, he was wrongly criticised by the government.

But it is impossible to ignore the ballooning of social problems in Singapore now and the government might finally be acknowledging this.

Still, as Mr Goh said, many of the social effects can only be seen much later on and they can also be irreversible. If so, the Singapore society might be fundamentally change and it is even more urgent to study the impacts and how policies need to be geared towards addressing them.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Between the other two PMs, they never saw this coming?

They did not know that they population was ageing year by year?

Fifty freaking years of running the country and he now wants to have more research done?

And this idiot was PM of SG once upon a time, the clown who promised us the Swiss standard of living?

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal

Fifty freaking years of running the country and he now wants to have more research done?

And this idiot was PM of SG once upon a time, the clown who promised us the Swiss standard of living?

What kind of meaningful research can be done ? You have all the data on hands for more then 50 years. Why do you still need to do research ?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
'Major upheaval' - translation:

"Marine Parade GRC is fucked. Start looking for a job outside politics, PAP MPs."

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The sad part will be the 60% who are more concerned about losing their property values than about the future of their children/grandchildren.

The process is not irreversible, but the 60% has to cast their votes correctly in the next elections in order to start the process of change.

shiokalingam

Alfrescian
Loyal

when you have a city state of 2,400,000 eligible voters (2015)

with 100,000 voters holding Taxi Voc Licence , 50,000 housing Agents ,

50,000 Insurance Agents , 100,000 Security Guard Licences ( mostly Diploma and

above ) then you need to Worry .

shiokalingam

Alfrescian
Loyal
What kind of meaningful research can be done ? You have all the data on hands for more then 50 years. Why do you still need to do research ?

need to research Why we are a City of Taxi Drivers , Security Guards , And Commissions Agents.

The Only City in the World

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well! They created these problems in the very first place. Now they got no solutions?? Just warnings?? Fuck him and them!

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well! They created these problems in the very first place. Now they got no solutions?? Just warnings?? Fuck him and them!

typical modus operandi or tai chi at play. usual stupid highlight an obvious problem so that when it get so big and unmanageable later, they can then said "I told you so years ago and it is not my fault as I have already warn you" . all this sly "fortune-telling" bastard excuse to absolve themselves of blame and looked as if they are prescient or "wise" when they are the ones who created the mess in the first place.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
typical modus operandi or tai chi at play. usual stupid highlight an obvious problem so that when it get so big and unmanageable later, they can then said "I told you so years ago and it is not my fault as I have already warn you" . all this sly "fortune-telling" bastard excuse to absolve themselves of blame and looked as if they are prescient or "wise" when they are the ones who created the mess in the first place.

Same like you with the property crash crystal ball right? TDSR was the biggest warning that the property market would crash and you just added some mumbo jumbo financial market theories into the mix and say "I told you so".

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i like how he put the blame on all kinds of matters like social media and ageing population and the rising middle class but he failed to mention the MAIN CAUSE of all our problems,the governments UNCONTROLLED EXCESSIVE IMMIGRATION OF FOREIGNERS.THEY THOUGHT THEY WERE SO BRILLIANT GROWING SINGAPORE'S GDP BY OVER 70 percent in 10 years BUT THEY DIDNT REALISE THAT MASSIVE IMMIGRATION HAS ITS LIMIT AND ITS JUST A CHEAP TRICK.NOW WE ARE STUCK WITH A ISLAND WITH 2 MILLION TRASHES AND A ECONOMY THAT CANT GROW ANYMORE BECAUSE THEY HAVE REACHED THE END OF THE ROAD.

Last edited:

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ah Goh never tell you the truth when he said the THREE THINGS THAT WILL INFLUENCE SOCIAL CHANGE and that is...

MONEY, MONEY and MONEY! LoLoLoL

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal
Same like you with the property crash crystal ball right? TDSR was the biggest warning that the property market would crash and you just added some mumbo jumbo financial market theories into the mix and say "I told you so".

fark off. you cannot read is it? the prediction was way before TDSR. anyway I was correct and prescient and what matters is people like you suffers, not me as I do not have any mortgage or loans. Now interest rates goes up to screw people like you. that's why you are so unhappy, judging from your sour grape posts. hahhaahhahhah. your sour grape posts really makes my day..hahhahaha. I told you so . you are like those typical stupid sinkkies always thinking property prices would go up and now in deep shit. need woody to tell you that you are deep shit when I can tell you years ago. no need research lah . just use your common sense (if you got any). even woody who talk about swiss standard of living , now changing his tune to that of shit standard of living. hahahhahah. you and him really makes me laugh

Last edited:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
fark off. you cannot read is it? the prediction was way before TDSR. anyway I was correct and prescient and what matters is people like you suffers, not me as I do not have any mortgage or loans. Now interest rates goes up to screw people like you. that's why you are so unhappy, judging from your sour grape posts. hahhaahhahhah. your sour grape posts really makes my day..hahhahaha. I told you so . you are like those typical stupid sinkkies always thinking property prices would go up and now in deep shit. need woody to tell you that you are deep shit when I can tell you years ago. no need research lah . just use your common sense (if you got any). even woody who talk about swiss standard of living , now changing his tune to that of shit standard of living. hahahhahah. you and him really makes me laugh

Ha ha sorry to burst your bubble I am loan free lah, interest rate hikes, bring it on!!