• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Need Clarification - Hainanese Chicken Rice from Singapore or Malaysia?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I heard, ok I only heard only ya not experienced ya, that in the old days, chickens in Singapore are mainly Cantonese.

Yes...you go find them, they ask you " see kok, see kok" ( 40cts, 40cts)...it was that cheap, back then!...found at places like Tau Fu Kai ( where Hock Lam Complex is now)...you go there to " more tau foo" ( grind tofu) & "see kok, see kok" or go opposite, Upper Hokkein Street...or the one farther down the horizon..Keong Saik Street..

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cannot dun mention hainan as all chicken rice be it the Sinkie or jiu hu versions all originated and evolved from there.
Nanyang version the rice more fragrant due to pandan leaves added which original hainan version dun have this ingredient.
Also nanyang version evolved due to many dialect groups here and even Malays got their own version.
Cantonese contribution like bro mentioned was the soy sauce chicken which is now pretty rare.
Another is the 'roasted chicken' unique to nanyang and borned out of necessity when hawkers fried their unsold chickens.....cantonese got a real roasted chicken which is different dish and never sold as chicken rice.
Sinkie hainan also evolved to include chicken chop rice, lemon chicken etc due to hainanese sailors chefs learning new culinary skills from Angmos.
In Penang there is a version chicken rice with bean sprouts....evolved due to local area famous for bean sprouts.
Each place evolved due to local taste buds naturally each got their own fans. Hard to say which is better....just enjoy the food

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this the meiling market, there another stall in alexendria village food centre. that only have one stall.

The legacy at Alexandra Village HC is good, operated solo

http://www.sgfoodonfoot.com/2014/05/uncle-chicken-alexandra-village-food.html

chicken rice.jpg
chicken rice1.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Attachments

• sg-central-area-queenstown-03.jpg
    sg-central-area-queenstown-03.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 1,396

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Guess the family was torn apart into two factions. Father and Ben the other son went to MeiChin while this guy at first moved to the Commonwealth Wet Market then to Alexandra

Commonwealth Wet Market (this building is part of the Heritage thing and is being preserved)
attachment.php

I remembered this place at one time was converted to furniture showroom.
Ugly shit building should be torn down.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
my grandma was from Hainan and she cooked chicken rice only once a year, during Cheng Meng

so after the prayer was done we feast on it, shiok shiok

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
No clue where it originates.

But Singapore chicken rice taste better than Msia, Thai or even Wenchang chicken rice. All my Thai and Msia frends also agree to this.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
No clue where it originates.

But Singapore chicken rice taste better than Msia, Thai or even Wenchang chicken rice. All my Thai and Msia frends also agree to this.

Without any doubt.

Actually have another question, who invented bah-kut-teh, Malaysia or Singapore?

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..two factions. Father and Ben the other son went to MeiChin while this guy at first moved to the Commonwealth Wet Market then to Alexandra.
Commonwealth Wet Market (this building is part of the Heritage thing and is being preserved
Alex place, the son quite kuai lan type. Will up size your order with vegetables.

On the old market, who can forget the hand made popiah skin stall (nowadays mostly factory made). Now only churches and library left ...with some banglas in construction site.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Ok forget about the Wenchang Chicken rice from Hainan Island, visited before twice and both times hated it, bloody rice tastes like normal white rice, chicken asl not fragrant. Eaten Thai and Malaysian both I insists cannot make it. However my Malaysian friends up north always insists Hainanese Chicken Rice is from Malaysia.

Anyone here have any historical information?

See how beautiful our Chicken Rice is

This is a carcass which is full of cancer causing substances. Fed with growth hormones which also cause cancer and disrupt normal bio-chemical function of the body.. This lead to high blood pressure, osteoporosis, diabetes and possible liver failure.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cantonese contribution like bro mentioned was the soy sauce chicken which is now pretty rare.
Another is the 'roasted chicken' unique to nanyang and borned out of necessity when hawkers fried their unsold chickens.....cantonese got a real roasted chicken which is different dish and never sold as chicken rice.

soy sauce chicken can still be found. Next time you around hougang, head to hougang green at street 51. at the coffeeshop nearest to the road, there a stall selling 豉油鸡 and also 港 version 叉燒 and 燒肉 and 燒鸭. Remember to tell the stall operators for the 靚豉油 if not they will give you the hokkien version sweet sauce if you order roasted meat instead of chicken. pricing quite ok, I think $9 for half a chicken. As there are 3 coffeeshops inside hougang green, remember it the coffeeshop that is next to Arnold Chicken.

xpo2015

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who cares! Just eat the Mofos!

Like who wants to know about someone birthday!

Last edited: