• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Need Clarification - Hainanese Chicken Rice from Singapore or Malaysia?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Ok forget about the Wenchang Chicken rice from Hainan Island, visited before twice and both times hated it, bloody rice tastes like normal white rice, chicken asl not fragrant. Eaten Thai and Malaysian both I insists cannot make it. However my Malaysian friends up north always insists Hainanese Chicken Rice is from Malaysia.

Anyone here have any historical information?

See how beautiful our Chicken Rice is

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From Hainan.

Anyway who cares? Malaysia and Singapore were once one happy family.

P.S: Is that the Mei Ling Food Centre chicken rice? Looks familiar.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
From Hainan Island...where did they come from? Canton?

Kns you cannot read is it? I already say don't mention Wenchang Chicken. Tastes so bland, surely our SEAsia chicken rice is not the same thing as Hainan Island's wenchang jifan

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I much prefer the Cantonese style chicken rice served here ...where chicken is not fully cooked. The risk is food poisoning if the chicken is left out there for too long as bacteria grows.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it might have originated in malaya back in the old colonial days, but sinkiecity has perfected it and made it famous on the global stage. it's like laksa. the original laksa has tamarind in it, and it is influenced by siamese spices and cooking, much like penang laksa is today. but sinkieland evolved it to coconut curry flavor without the sour taste in it, and created mee siam bo hum as an equivalent of the original laksa. the sinkie hainanese chicken rice is better than the ml version, due to constant competition and evolution to be the best, much like the pap. :p

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes la, you didn't read the Queenstown thread?

I found the colours of the plates and table familiar, that's all. Stall near the corner, wide spacious seating area with a balcony view, right?

Don't understand why they need to occupy two stalls' space.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pure Cantonese style is soy sauce chicken, found at Level 2 of the hawker centre in Chinatown Complex. Super long queue everytime.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I found the colours of the plates and table familiar, that's all. Stall near the corner, wide spacious seating area with a balcony view, right?

Don't understand why they need to occupy two stalls' space.

Guess they are use to the extra space like the old days in Margaret Drive

attachment.php

Attachments

• sinkee4.jpg
    sinkee4.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 2,354

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I much prefer the Cantonese style chicken rice served here ...where chicken is not fully cooked. The risk is food poisoning if the chicken is left out there for too long as bacteria grows.

I heard, ok I only heard only ya not experienced ya, that in the old days, chickens in Singapore are mainly Cantonese.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I heard, ok I only heard only ya not experienced ya, that in the old days, chickens in Singapore are mainly Cantonese.

What kind of chicken are you referring to? :wink:

The best meal, to me, is Cantonese chicken and Hainanese roasted shobak (with kiamchye).

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pure Cantonese style is soy sauce chicken, found at Level 2 of the hawker centre in Chinatown Complex. Super long queue everytime.

not true, cantonese do have boiled chicken, served in a milder sauce and plain white rice. when my old man still around, he often make it. A good example will be soup restaurant samsui chicken. 白切鸡 read in cantonese make more sense that mandarin.

i seldom eat chicken rice in malaysia despite being there so many time. the best i ever ate in malaysia was in penang, a stall in the kopitaim next to the hotel. bloody good business, need to wait half an hour for it. at KL, only ate the cantonese 白切鸡 together with steam fish head in ginger at the shop/stall next to the famous bak tut teh(which i never try). as for who invent the the current hainanese version, no idea, not really important as it was still call Malaya when the version was invented.

20 years ago, there maybe singapore version but the influx of jiuhukia into spore f&b industy grew so large, most the food currently served are either water down version or malaysia version as not many singaporean hawker children take over the business. if u ask me, i honestly think the hawker food i ate as a kid taste much better than the current crap dished out at the current food centre or coffeeshop.

Last edited: