• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Need Clarification - Hainanese Chicken Rice from Singapore or Malaysia?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Was walking along Purvis Street this afternoon and saw a old coffeshop looked in saw old man chopping chicken decided to try the chicken rice

Realised its really old style coffeeshop and the staff all very old looked like family and all speak Hainanese. Ah pek record order and collect money

I like the very retro marbel table

Chicken rice set $6
[URL=http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/froggythailand/media/SBF/D67AC190-4A6E-4C8F-B1AB-621DBF42620F_zpsoguplos6.jpg.html] [/URL]

The rice is nice but chicken a little dry

I am sure this shop has a lot of history.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Purvis street Chin Chin cmi already.
Brought my tourists friends there recently kns the rice no flavor chicken so so and worst the veggie dishes all blanched not even bother to stir fry and dare to charge $12 for small plate. Fuck up

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Froggy the one you went to is Yet Con.
History and fame on par with defunct swee kee

While walking to City Hall MRT station passing by Seah Street saw a Swee Kee chicken rice, I wonder if its the same old one.

tun_dr_m

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fuck lah this is not a Question.

It is a POLITICAL ISSUE related to SG50

Chicken Rice existed for close to a century or more and there was no Singapore then, as Pulau Singapura was a part of Malaysian Colony belonging to Ang Moh Kao British. That can say Chicken Rice is British Colonial Era culture. Then the colonies got independence broke free of Chow Ang Moh, then formed Malaysia. Then LKY caused SGP to be OUSTED from Malaysia. So Chicken Rice splinted into SG and MY chicken rice(s).

Can not claim SG owns it.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
While walking to City Hall MRT station passing by Seah Street saw a Swee Kee chicken rice, I wonder if its the same old one.

related in some ways.....
Many sprouted out back then after swee kee closed. But many closed down.
Some connections such as relatives, ex staff, friends of ex owner etc etc.

Just like many ex chatterbox chefs came out to open chicken rice stalls after resigning from mandarin

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
related in some ways.....
Many sprouted out back then after swee kee closed. But many closed down.
Some connections such as relatives, ex staff, friends of ex owner etc etc.

Just like many ex chatterbox chefs came out to open chicken rice stalls after resigning from mandarin

By the way Sin Kee in Meiling Street market is closed. Not shifted, simply closed. No reason given. Very strange indeed even if don't want the business anymore could have sold it for a hefty profit.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
By the way Sin Kee in Meiling Street market is closed. Not shifted, simply closed. No reason given. Very strange indeed even if don't want the business anymore could have sold it for a hefty profit.

Some of these chefs are like artists....
They dun want to sully own name for a few lousy bucks
So rather just close

KopiO

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gambling. Just gambling.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I dunno if Hainaese chicken rice originate from Spore or Msia.

What I know is that the Singapore Hainese Chicken rice beats Malaysia standard hands down.

Most of my matland & Thai friends and relatives agree with me too.

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i still prefer the old sin kee from margaret drive days. not so many people and they bring the food to your table. And you can also ask them for 老母鸡。

their current mei chin operating model has changed completely.

JOKERCHEW

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bro Froggy,
try Hai San chicken rice,
from Henderson food centre,
now at Tiong Bahru food centre,
unit 02-32.
Chicken meat is thick & fleshy,
rice very fragrant, Bestest with their dark soya sauce.
only disappointment is the chilli.

Attachments

• hai-san-chicken-rice_360x272_fillbg_c05b897d13.jpeg
    hai-san-chicken-rice_360x272_fillbg_c05b897d13.jpeg
    28.8 KB · Views: 397

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bro Froggy,
try Hai San chicken rice,
from Henderson food centre,
now at Tiong Bahru food centre,
unit 02-32.
Chicken meat is thick & fleshy,
rice very fragrant, Bestest with their dark soya sauce.
only disappointment is the chilli.

If chilli cmi then how to call as bestest?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
This is what I call chicken rice at Chuen Chuen along Tan Quee Lan St, had this last night

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
The chef of Mr Chicken Rice at Downtown East, Pasir Ris, used to work at Chatterbox. It's not confirmed whether he was THE chef there or one of the Sous Chef. In any case, mastering good chicken rice is not rocket science and anyone with a good sense of observation would have pick up the timing, ingredients, chopping techniques after a week even if parts of it are concealed.

Been there twice, a mite expensive but then you know how govt-owned malls milked their tenants. The shop is clean, bright and tidy, A/C, just like a McDonald's selling chicken rice. I don't say this as a compliment. Sometimes shops like this needs a little ambiance the coffeeshops of old, you know, a little warmer, and yet clean. I know, I'm wishy washy when it comes to eating.

The chicken and rice is OK, perhaps even above average. I can't remember if the ginger sauce as a separate condiment is available, I am a sucker for this.

Another recommendable CR is at Lor 4, Toa Payoh used to have this until gambling more or less destroyed the biz. After a revamp they discontinued the ginger sauce. This, and my moving out of Toa Payoh contributed to my much reduced patronizing. They started out at the wet market 10m from where they are, a small stall for takeaway only. I think they were one of the first few having glassy transparent chicken intestines. The innards were cooked just right, the livers pink and creamy, and the gizzards pink and just the right crunchiness. Beautiful. The chili is good and the ginger sauce a bonus.

Haven't been back there for ages so I couldn't say if it's still there. In their prime, they were printing money.