• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singaporean man and wife married for 46 years against all odds

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]SINGAPOREAN MAN AND WIFE MARRIED FOR 46 YEARS AGAINST ALL ODDS[/h]
Post date:
15 Apr 2015 - 3:36pm

A video which showed how a couple in Singapore came together all odds has been making its rounds.

Raelene, who is originally from Australia, met her Singaporean spouse Soo Ren in London in 1965.

"He was studying architecture and I was with the Australian High Commission. Our paths crossed at a boarding house managed by an English couple; we saw each other daily at mealtimes. Soo Ren and I were friends for several years before cupid struck," she wrote for the Australian and New Zealand magazine.

"We married in 1968, at Westminster."

"Cross-cultural relations were relatively unknown in the 1960's," Raelene also said in the video.

"We were holding hands (while in London), which seemed natural but somebody spat at me and said, "Prostitute".

"We learned from that incident, we should not display any affection in public because our type of union wasn't really acceptable.

"It was really a shock to my system, and to Soo Ren.

Racism was the first obstacle which the couple eventually overcame together.

"That was awful. We felt hurt," Raelene said.

Eventually the couple got married before moving back to Singapore, at Soo Ren's parents request

"He certainly didn't say, "Shall we get a flat together?" Raelene joked.

In their later years, the couple is also facing new challenges.

"When someone has cognitive impairment, sadly it can change that person from a person with a lovely sense of humour, who's very courteous and quiet, into someone who doesn't smile or laugh as much anymore and needs jollying along. It really changes the whole personality," Raelene said.

Soo Ren also has cognitive impairment.

"Not only was it challenging for Soo Ren but it was challenging for our children and for me to accept this imposter. This person who'd come to live who, who wasn't the person we knew," said Raelene.

"At the same tme, I had little problems with skin cancer and I needed radiotheraphy. The radiotheraphy unfortunately damaged my eye. So we depend on each other now.

"We just help each other along and accept that life is good, even with challenges."

But the couple has learnt to appreciate each day as it comes.

"Everyday is a blessing," Raelene said,

"We had to probably work harder at our marriage than a couple of the same background.

"For us, we're not different. It's that simple."

They have been married for 46 years now.

Are you inspired by Raelene and Soo Ren's marriage?