• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Temasek ceo's 3 month sabbatical leave: Does it cost taxpayers?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]TEMASEK CEO'S 3 MONTH SABBATICAL LEAVE: DOES IT COST TAXPAYERS?[/h]
Post date:
15 Apr 2015 - 7:08pm

[Pic Source]
Temasek CEO on sabbatical leave

According to the Straits Times news report ”Temasek CEO Ho Ching to take part-time sabbatical leave for three months” (Apr 15) – “Ms Ho Ching, Chief Executive Officer of Temasek Holdings, will be on sabbatical leave for three months, the Singapore state investor said in a statement on Wednesday.

No reasons were given for the leave.Ms Ho, 62, who is also wife of Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, will continue with her board duties and specific stewardship duties, the statement added.”

With or without pay?

Is the sabbatical leave on a “full pay”, “partial pay” or “no pay” basis?

Is it the norm for CEOs of Sovereign Wealth Funds to take sabbatical leave?

Pay has never been disclosed?

As Temasek is managing the state’s money – why is it that the remuneration of the CEO has never been disclosed?
Are there any Sovereign Wealth Funds which do not disclose the remuneration of its CEOs?

In this connection, the late Mr Lee Kuan Yew had always stressed the need to pay people well, such as ministerial salaries. He also had no qualms about disclosing the amount as well as the criteria for calculating the pay.

Win battles lose war
TRS Contributor

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
148 Comments

Popular Now
Newest
Oldest
Most Replied
E
1users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down0users disliked this comment

Eric • 1 hour 5 minutes ago Report Abuse
When my father-in-law passed away, company gave me 2 days of compassionate leaves. But I believe when you are earning millions of dollars, you have people to handle things for you, and you can stay and manage things at home....... So, I just do not know why so many people cry out there for a family who has made so much from this country.... it should be a great joy for the family with all the power and money they have got.
1 Reply
M
30users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down0users disliked this comment

Maverick • 4 hours ago Report Abuse
If an organisation can survives for 3 full months without the need for the head...this organisation should ask whether this head is needed to begin with! We're always told head count freezes and the need to make everyone count...looks like it does not apply to Temasek.
4 Replies
T
19users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down1users disliked this comment

TheRighteousHand • 4 hours ago Report Abuse
Reason for sabbatical leave not given. Let me provide one possible scenerio which is purely speculative : Is it probable that within these 3 months Temasek Holdings need to make a decision on some issue involving taking a big hit on its profitability and the person sitting in the hot seat would be answerable for it? Dunno whether this is the case, but a previous episode is ringing some bells. Remember the Goodyear saga? He was made out to be scapegoat for the short period he was holding the reign for investment decisions that were made before his time but the results reflecting when the gun was placed in his hand.
J
18users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down0users disliked this comment

Jack • 4 hours ago Report Abuse
If i tell my boss or mgr, i need to take sabbatical leave coz one of my family member just passed away, i felt very sad over it.

I 100% sure my boss n mgr will tell me to pack up n leave immediately.
j
12users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down2users disliked this comment

jackrose • 2 hours 57 minutes ago Report Abuse
I thought this jurisdiction for the appointment of CEO of such a state fund cannot include the prime ministers relative, family members or close associates as this will act as a conflict of interest in the dispensation of the prime ministers powers. This appointment should be by fair and large be assigned into a Board of Trustee as it is the peoples money and welfare of a nation that is at stake in the loss or profit of its investments and a proper accountability and the distribution of of its funds to be made transparent to the public .
3 Replies
S
31users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down1users disliked this comment

Singaporean • 6 hours ago Report Abuse
Please enlighten me how to apply sabbatical leave.
6 Replies
T
9users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down0users disliked this comment

Toby Mac • 2 hours 1 minute ago Report Abuse
May the state seek clarifications from Temasek if Ho's Sabbatical is paid or unpaid. It seems to us certain category of public office do as they wish without accountability. I am sure the 'stakeholders' of Temasek which are the people, would want this clarified as soon as possible.
1 Reply
G
9users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down0users disliked this comment

Gavin • 3 hours ago Report Abuse
Can someone tell me what happened if someone else loses 50 billion dollars under their care? Would they be given the same position back?
3 Replies

12users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down0users disliked this comment

小Lee飞刀 • 5 hours ago Report Abuse
Only the "royal" Familee members can apply sabbatical leave and for 3 months that long still in her high post. Familee in control of SIngapore too long and treat govt companies as their own one.
I
7users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down0users disliked this comment

Ivan • 1 hour 26 minutes ago Report Abuse
If a Company continues to function as normal without a CEO for 3 months, it's time to let go the CEO then.
j
7users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down3users disliked this comment

john • 5 hours ago Report Abuse
I wonder, what did she feel she done as something is not right telling the world you go for Sabbath leave when all this achievement was under both couple that make today Singapore. We need to look closely on the issue from here onwards.

The main Bible passage for sabbatical concepts is Genesis 2:2-3, in which God rested (literally, "ceased" from his labour) after creating the universe, and it is applied to people (Jew and Gentile, slave and free) and even to beasts of burden in one of the Ten Commandments (Exodus 20:8-11, reaffirmed in Deuteronomy 5:12-15). All agriculture was stopped during these periods, so even the land itself was given a Sabbath.
4 Replies
P
18users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down1users disliked this comment

Pappy fish • 4 hours ago Report Abuse
So is she being paid whilst on sabbatical ???
As a tax payer, I have the right to ask.
4 Replies
A
7users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down0users disliked this comment

Ah Nonymus • 3 hours ago Report Abuse
Hohoho... ka Ching! I've figured this one out!

They're going to announce a big loss soon, so the PM's wife can't be the fall guy (she's a guy too, rite?)

Considering how much money had to be given to SMRT in order to help it announce profits, the Olam shares incident where Temasek threw more money in to stave off short sellers, I wonder if Temasek has lost a lot of money.
J
3users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down0users disliked this comment

John • 48 minutes ago Report Abuse
Since no reason, so we can speculate right? And if do speculate, can don't sue us?
Here's one theory. She going Europe or America for some shopping spree for properties.
Maybe dropping by Swiss Bank to deposit some of those Millions ?
I
12users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down5users disliked this comment

Inapprehensible Life • 6 hours ago Report Abuse
So Lee Theng Kiat will be warming the seat for 3 months? I guess Lee will not have the entire TH balance sheet because it would take XX men hours and years to gather them?

LEE - this surname sounds so familiar. Care to enlighten Singaporeans how are you related to that famiLEE? Jo Jinx on sabbatical? Why, that evil and cruel man's spirit returned to haunt her for the huge losses of taxpayers' CPF fund$? Something is just so fishy.
1 Reply
F
28users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down5users disliked this comment

Flak • 5 hours ago Report Abuse
Temasek Holding is a S$223 billion company and it's CEO can afford to take 3 months sabbatical leave??????

Have not seen any CEO from company as big as Temasek allow it CEO to go on such a long sabbatical leave. Probably the first in world history.

The questions then are
1. S$223 billion is presumed to be part of Singapore reserved or people's money.
Who is running Temasek during her absence?
Would she still hold accountable if things failed badly?
12 Replies
S
31users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down7users disliked this comment

See Toh Hiap Seng • 7 hours ago Report Abuse
MY CONJECTURE is : After the death of any family member and especially when that member has some wealth (combined with previous inheritance), a great deal has to be done.

The abolition of Estate Duty is definitely an advantage to those who are famous and rich. If not, there will be a great deal of paper-work and legal expenses to be incurred for a few years.

I like the definition Sabbatical leave by Netizen "Jay" :

Sabbatical leave is defined as a time period in which a person does not report to his regular job but who remains employed with that company.
10 Replies
J
3users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down0users disliked this comment

James • 1 hour 38 minutes ago Report Abuse
Is she extending her compassionate leave to sabbatical leave and get paid as well?
J
2users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down0users disliked this comment

John • 51 minutes ago Report Abuse
I don't remember LKY himself has taken any extended sabbatical leave in his entire 91 years of life. Is the Queen now telling people her job is more difficult and stressful than LKY's when he was building Spore up?
H
6users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down0users disliked this comment

H. S • 4 hours ago Report Abuse
"Sabbatical"?
It is mostly used in university (academia), hardly on a business context.
Wild guess - some back-breaking and billion$-losing scandals are going to break, and the "state" is going to hold Lee Theng Kiat scapegoat.
Don't trust that woman at all.
1 Reply

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sabbatical leave in the is an entitlement. Meaning the company own policy of rewarding its employee a long leave with pay should they stay with them for a prolonged period of time. Usually 10 years. I'm very surprised this is happening in Singapore.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabbatical

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Seeing the 450k mourners who cry like father died probably emboldened the leegime further that they can get away with (more) murder now

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sabbatical leave is typically no-pay leave, but to have the head of Temasek suka suka take three months of vacation without clarification is quite startling. :wink:

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sabbatical leave in the is an entitlement. Meaning the company own policy of rewarding its employee a long leave with pay should they stay with them for a prolonged period of time. Usually 10 years. I'm very surprised this is happening in Singapore.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabbatical

It is an...... ENTITLEMENT....

Remember Dr. Patrick Tan..???

His sabbatical or rather deferment is some 12 years....Only certain people can get these kind of entitlement.

I fault Dr Tony Tan for this...As a leader your conduct must be exemplary and beyond rebuke.

You cannot be seen to favour your own son...

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does this mean anyone working under Termasick can get the same? Or is this just for certain level people?

It is an...... ENTITLEMENT....

Remember Dr. Patrick Tan..???

His sabbatical or rather deferment is some 12 years....Only certain people can get these kind of entitlement.

I fault Dr Tony Tan for this...As a leader your conduct must be exemplary and beyond rebuke.

You cannot be seen to favour your own son...

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal
Post date:

[Pic Source]
Temasek CEO on sabbatical leave

According to the Straits Times news report ”Temasek CEO Ho Ching to take part-time sabbatical leave for three months” (Apr 15) – “Ms Ho Ching, Chief Executive Officer of Temasek Holdings, will be on sabbatical leave for three months, the Singapore state investor said in a statement on Wednesday.

No reasons were given for the leave.Ms Ho, 62, who is also wife of Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, will continue with her board duties and specific stewardship duties, the statement added.”

With or without pay?

Pay has never been disclosed?

As Temasek is managing the state’s money – why is it that the remuneration of the CEO has never been disclosed?
Are there any Sovereign Wealth Funds which do not disclose the remuneration of its CEOs?

In this connection, the late Mr Lee Kuan Yew had always stressed the need to pay people well, such as ministerial salaries. He also had no qualms about disclosing the amount as well as the criteria for calculating the pay.

Win battles lose war
TRS Contributor

I thot I read somewhere dat she makes 20 million bucks per year.......... Piyush Gupta takes home almost 10 million...

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
why not Miss Lee also take leave with Mr Ho to let the oppositions run the country for 3 years.

Post date:

With or without pay?

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course it does.

Ah Ho bought Australia child care company for AUD600 million from Ozzieland Milk supplier
Husband and wife team after 2 years company dissolved lost all the investment !
Than what happened to the Ah Ho who bought AUD$600 million lost all, no firing?

Or its an honest mistake lets move on! Small change.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ah Ho bought Australia child care company for AUD600 million from Ozzieland Milk supplier

"Milk milk lemonade, round the corner fudge is made".

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Was this the ABC "giam chye char loti"??? In the words of Khaw the deeply religious man, did they come clean?, did they commit harakiri for such honest mistakes? You would probably be told, the stakeholders did not complain...who are the stakeholders? that you require Sheer Luck Horns to find out....what do you think, Watson?:rolleyes: