• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Primary 5 question exposes stress that singapore students face

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Boss, do we really need Queen's English to communicate?

No but all languages have a structure that should be adhered to. This is an exam question and they haven't even got the punctuation right.

A comma in the wrong place can sometimes change the whole meaning of a phrase. Surely precise language should be used in an examination setting or the futures of some children could be ruined because they misunderstood a poorly phrased question.

https://cybertext.wordpress.com/201...d-look-at-how-punctuation-can-change-meaning/

jw5

Loyal
I guarantee you if this question was put to ah tiongs or ah nehs, they will come up with a thousand different answers based on the positions of the punctuation marks and the semantics. :biggrin:

No but all languages have a structure that should be adhered to. This is an exam question and they haven't even got the punctuation right.

A comma in the wrong place can sometimes change the whole meaning of a phrase. Surely precise language should be used in an examination setting or the futures of some children could be ruined because they misunderstood a poorly phrased question.

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

https://cybertext.wordpress.com/201...d-look-at-how-punctuation-can-change-meaning/

Boss you are right. All sinkie teachers must be culled and replaced with ang moh teachers. It is getting ridiculous when these low grade sinkie teachers are not just enforcing the singlish accent but even teaching the students to write in sinkie English.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
This is the question if you want to work in MINDEF. Trust me, I know.

Are you insinuating that Mindef operates on fallacies and unknowns?

By simple logic, if Cheryl tells Albert the month and tells Bernard the day of the month, Albert wouldn't know the day of the month and Bernard wouldn't have any clue which month was revealed.

By virtue that Albert's opening statement is to conclude he doesn't know, and that he knows Bernard also don't know. Albert's lying. To build upon that lie that Albert made, Bernard states that he didn't know at first but now he knows. Which is another lie or working on an unknown.

For a simple fact that if Cheryl told Bernard either 18 or 19, he would know her birthday immediately and thus affirm the fact that Albert lied in the first instance. Else if Cheryl told Bernard a range of numbers between 14 and 17, these were recurring numbers that appears on all the months given, i.e. Bernard is working on an unknown month and yet claiming that he knows the month. Bernard's lying.

Last edited:

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal

I feel better now. I have spent 3 days reading and analyzing the question and the many answers given and i still don't get it.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
So, Singapore became the butt of the joke for lousy command of English language and poor logic. Neat.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
I feel better now. I have spent 3 days reading and analyzing the question and the many answers given and i still don't get it.

The setter of that question blotched the whole thing with flawed logic and poor English.

Hasbro

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Singaporean high school logic puzzle sets internet abuzz after going viral

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 14 April, 2015, 10:54pm
UPDATED : Tuesday, 14 April, 2015, 10:54pm

Agence France-Presse in Singapore

maths-question.jpg

The question, involving a girl asking two boys to guess her birthday after giving them seemingly scant clues, first appeared in an April 8 test organised by the Singapore and Asian School Math Olympiads (Sosma).

A maths problem that first appeared in a test for Singapore's elite high school students has baffled internet users around the world after it went viral, prompting a rush of attempts to solve it.

The question, involving a girl asking two boys to guess her birthday after giving them seemingly scant clues, first appeared in an April 8 test organised by the Singapore and Asian School Math Olympiads (Sosma).

It was meant for elite secondary school students aged 15 and 16, but swiftly went global after a local television news presenter posted it on his Facebook page Saturday.

In the question, Cheryl gives her new friends, Albert and Bernard, a list of 10 possible dates for her birthday - May 15, 16 or 19; June 17 or 18; July 14 or 16; and August 14, 15 or 17. Separately, she tells Albert the month of her birth, and Bernard the date. A conversation ensues.

"I don't know when Cheryl's birthday is, but I know that Bernard does not know too," Albert explains.

Bernard responds: "At first I don't know when Cheryl's birthday is, but I know now."

Albert: "Then I also know when Cheryl's birthday is."

Test-takers are then asked to use logic to deduce Cheryl's birthday from the conversation.

By Monday, internet users around the world were posting meticulously detailed answers to the puzzle on social media networks such as Facebook and Reddit, only to prompt a slew of comments disputing their findings and methodology.

Sosma later provided the full question and a model answer.

sg-maths-a.jpg

sg-maths-b.jpg

In a Facebook post late Monday, SOSMA provided the full question and a model answer.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Boss you are right. All sinkie teachers must be culled and replaced with ang moh teachers. It is getting ridiculous when these low grade sinkie teachers are not just enforcing the singlish accent but even teaching the students to write in sinkie English.

I thought singlish is the national language. When people mentioned to me about Singapore nowadays I mentioned they speak Singlish in that country, not Mandarin, nor English, but Singlish.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Solved the question in a couple of minutes.

The wording and grammar are atrocious. I had to use more logic to understand what the examiner is asking, than to solve the problem once I understood the question.:rolleyes:

Last edited: