• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Primary 5 question exposes stress that singapore students face

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We humble servants use that knowledge to delight Master Loong by correctly guessing his intentions on matters large and small. We cannot afford to miss a chance to demonstrate our loyalty and devotion.

I think that we have too many bureaucrates up there who have lost touch with the purpose of education. Why must Sporeans torture their kids:confused: If the local education was so good then why are they always changing the system or why haven't we produced any Nobel prizes nominees :confused:

Don't forget that LKY was a product of the old system:biggrin:

Instead we are producing many unhappy kids like my neighbours kid who jumped out of the window during the exam season. Just another digit in the Spore system.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Here's my own solution (different people have different ways of working it out, explaining and phrasing, but the final correct answer is the same, and there is only 1 correct valid answer).

Based on Albert's 1st statement :

If Cheryl told Albert her birthday was either in May or June, then it might be possible that Bernard was told by Cheryl that her birthday was on a 19th or 18th, then Bernard would have known for sure. Since Albert is sure Bernard doesn't know, hence Cheryl could not have told Albert her birthday month was either in May or June.

Based on Bernard's 1st statement :

Note that it is crucial for Albert and Bernard to hear each other out, to come to a definitive conclusion on Cheryl's birthday.

Since Bernard (upon hearing Albert's statement and correctly deducing that Cheryl's birthday must either be in July or August), says he now knows Cheryl's birthday, hence Cheryl's birthday must be on a day that is not repeated (ie. 14th of July or August), and therefore we conclude Cheryl's birthday must be either on July 16, August 15 or August 17. But we still can't be sure exactly which of these 3 dates is Cheryl's birthday yet (since we still do not know the month).

Based on Albert's 2nd statement :

Now that Albert has heard Bernard (who had earlier heard Albert), the only way Albert can confidently and correctly state that he now knows Cheryl's birthday, must therefore mean that Cheryl told him her birthday was in July (because if Cheryl told Albert her birthday was in August, then there's no way Albert could rule out either 15th or 17th of August).

In conclusion, Cheryl's birthday must be on July 16. Also, we can conclude Cheryl's a bitch playing hard-to-get, so both Albert and Bernard really need to get themselves a new girlfriend.

pls lah, dun act like you know it.. There is already a solution liao.. your cut and paste power damn soild.

zookeeper

Alfrescian
Loyal
This question requires someone with strict and serious left-brain thinking.
Those people with right-brain thinking could be kicked out from their schools.
I'm sure many PRCs can give more than 10 possible answers with their creative minds.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm sure many PRCs can give more than 10 possible answers with their creative minds.
For someone who is exposed to such question for the first time, like the P5 kids, it is true, logical thinking is essential - they call it iq. However, if one is trained to convert "conditions given in words" into mathematical parameters e.g. Sets and its complements, it may become relatively technical. It is covered in one of the modules of math in uni. Just wondering why they are subjecting the poor P5 kids who are not trained with the property technic to such question - to demoralize them and make them hate math or are teachers/schools out to show off?

Last edited:

zookeeper

Alfrescian
Loyal
However, if one is trained to convert "conditions given in words" into mathematical parameters e.g. Sets and its complements, it may become relatively technical.

Looks like we are training the kids to be future stock market gurus.

aerobwala

Alfrescian
Loyal
This header says is for Secondary 3 and Secondary 4 student.:mad::confused:

3lCXIZ5.jpg

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When the teachers aren't having sex with students, they're trying to be 'keh kiang' and be creative with curriculum.

McDonaldsKid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Only smart kids take part in the Math Olympiad right? But isn't this more of a logic question rather than a math one?

Alfrescian
Loyal
the guy who started this on FB trying to tell his friends that his child good enough to take part in the Maths Olympiad.....

NanoSpeed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is that white attachment the model answer from the school?

Let's examine this paragraph:

"If Cheryl has told Albert that her birth month is May or June, then it's possible that her birthday may be May 19 or June 18. This means that Bernard may know when Cheryl's birthday is. The fact that Albert knows Bernard does not know means that Cheryl has told Albert that her birth month is either July or August."

The fact that Albert knows Bernard does not know Cheryl's birthday (as yet) only goes as far to prove that Cheryl's birthday is neither 18th nor 19th as both days occurred just once in the list. In other words, only the days 18th and 19th are written off from the list, but not the months. It's not enough to write off the month of June (as yet) since June has another day in the list - June 17th is still in the running as a possible answer.

Either my logic is flawed or the question is illogical.

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lee HL hinting that future potential candidate will be asked
this kind of question during the tea session.
after all he got a first class honour in math.

SIAPA

I seriously do not agree wholesomely with the solution given being the only definite answer. My view is that there is strictly no unique and definite answer to this question. It all depends on how one interprets and understand the question, all the possible dates and even other dates not listed could be the answer. The answer given is just a member of a possible solution set.