• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Jakarta Indonesia

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
So let's talk a little about Ramadan in Jakarta. Yesterday was the first day of fasting and I already have a taste of what is it here as far as the food scene and entertainment is concern.

- First of all most restaurants don't serve alcohol during this period.
- Pubs and entertainment like night clubs and "bath houses" are close at least for the first week and then slowly open by the back door, so the front of the establishment will look like its closed but its party inside.
- Inside hotels its business as usual.
- Muslim restaurants mostly close and opens late afternoon for people to buy home and then almost breaking fast like 5pm they will open for patrons to sit and wait. These restaurants mostly open till after midnight.
- Muslim restaurants in malls will be open. Like all restaurants including fast food restaurants and also coffee shops a curtain will be installed across the dining area.

I was in a mall for lunch yesterday and here’s the scene of restaurants in the mall.

[video=youtube;eyFN4ShndI4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyFN4ShndI4[/video]

Just took the following photos at the Seokarno Hatta Airport:

Outside airport

Inside Airport

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
So was in the mall shown in the above video. Had lunch with my muslim driver.

Lots of sambal lunch

Beef soup, the stock is very rich very tasty

Ayam goreng resting on a pile of very spicy sambal. Behind is taugay fry with silver fish

Bringal

Beef rib

Tahu goreng

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Lunch at a Padang joint yesterday - damn shiok

(anti clockwise) The green sambal chili is very very very shiok ; tahu ; egg ; beef rendang ; begedil

Brinjal

Kua sayor

2 pcs of delicious freshly fried chicken - this stall fry the chicken only if have order so each order have to wait a short while

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
The Indonesian Chinese population is predominantly Hokkien, many older Chinese can speak but then like the Thai Chinese their younger generation are not able to speak any Chinese Mandarin or dialects. The second largest dialect group is Hakka which the Indonesians call Khek. Besides yong yau hu one can easily find other Khek food around.

Went to one such shop this morning for breakfast, khek noodle

The outside

Inside the shop

Breakfast with my staff

Khek noodle with mix pf pork, chicken, mushroom

Colleague had kway teow

Shui jiao soup

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tat is y Jakarta is still a 3rd world city like Manila. Occupied by Hokkeins n Hakkas. With their shit attitude n local customs its a perfect storm for remaining in the 3rd world. Good food thread mate. N when u showing the entertainment side of jakarta like Blok M.?
The Indonesian Chinese population is predominantly Hokkien, many older Chinese can speak but then like the Thai Chinese their younger generation are not able to speak any Chinese Mandarin or dialects. The second largest dialect group is Hakka which the Indonesians call Khek. Besides yong yau hu one can easily find other Khek food around.

Went to one such shop this morning for breakfast, khek noodle

The outside

Inside the shop

Breakfast with my staff

Khek noodle with mix pf pork, chicken, mushroom

Colleague had kway teow

Shui jiao soup

Blazars

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Froggy... the makanan that you shows here are all very delicious. Its making me lau nua. I am interested to go bandung. Do you know if i can find the same types of food in bandung?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Bro Froggy... the makanan that you shows here are all very delicious. Its making me lau nua. I am interested to go bandung. Do you know if i can find the same types of food in bandung?

About food in Bandung I have only one thing to say - super delicious. The street food is great and food is quite different from Jakarta but better. Its a food paradise. Some of my posts here indicated its in Bandung.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
At a Chinese tzechar shop for lunch this afternoon in Jakarta was surprised this Indonesian guy could whip out such great Chinese food. Told me he used to work in a Chinese restaurant.

In Singapore and Malaysia we have this root beer drink known as sarsi, here there's no such drink offered by the major soda suppliers like Fanta, Coke, Pepsi etc however there's this Medan local company making this traditional "Sarsi" drink but is very rare to be found outside Medan, it's called Padak (rhino) so it's a pleasant surprise that we found it available in this shop which we later came to know has a Medanese owner.

Ok this shop is very generous with their crispy lard.

fried Meesua is super delicious

fried rice, Indonesians like this so have to order

Bitter gourde with eggs

beansprouts with

Ayam goreng mentega

ayam lada garam

Ngor hiang

total only S$45 for 5 people

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Breakfast nasi uduk at Chinese stall

serve babi rendang I believe most of you have not tried this have to say pork rendang is actually very ver nice

Blazars

Alfrescian
Loyal
About food in Bandung I have only one thing to say - super delicious. The street food is great and food is quite different from Jakarta but better. Its a food paradise. Some of my posts here indicated its in Bandung.

Bro.. thanks! I will try to post some pics here if i get to go bandung.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Finally came back to Jakarta after the long Hari Raya break.. Brought staff to a very big restaurant for lunch today Talaga Sampireun

[video=youtube;Nc5UxOCHeks]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc5UxOCHeks[/video]

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Deep fried gurame

Crispy sotong

Sotong cook in ink

Taogay

Tahu tempeh

Brinjal

Soto ayam

Catfish in bamboo

BBQ Prawn

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Tonight drop by a roadside group of stalls for dinner

Mei Ayam - quite similar too our soto cost ($2.50)

Chee cheong fan - funny, they eat it cold and with lots of fried shallots ($1.50)

Lao Choi - very similar to our ngo hiang guan chiang ($3.50)

Notice price almost like Singapore

After watch a stall make kueh kueh
[video=youtube;tUblQGAUPDg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUblQGAUPDg[/video]

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Porridge in Indonesia is called bubur. Bubur is a very popular quick snack or meal for the Indonesians and it can be eaten from morning to night.

Found one traditional bubur ayam stall near office and went to try for the first time today its in a carpark area

Bubur when served - include a generous helping of shredded chicken, parsley, yew char kuay, peanuts and a plate of koropok

This costs $1.00
[URL=http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/froggythailand/media/SBF/IMG_20150730_082430_zpscnda8e76.jpg.html]
[/URL]
This with extra chicken is $1.50

Inside

After mixing the bubur - actually add sweet sauce, chicken stock, chilli sauce to mix

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
In Surabaya yesterday and had lunch at a very local coffeeshop setting specializing in mixed rice meaning rice with meat and veges all comes in set.

Had this Nasi Remes - beef, chicken, potatoes, tempe etc

Ordered their special keluak beef soup which they call it sup-rawon - those who like keluak will like this soup

Java coffee

Desert is ice kachang I have no idea what they call it

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Went to Bintaro, a district of Tengerang for work yesterday and chanced upon a very local market with traditional local food stalls.

Had this soto which is full of shredded chicken only $1.40, this is one the best so far

After makan the above saw this strange stall selling - toge goreng literally deep fried bean sprouts

In reality its not goreng or deep fried at all this is how its prepared

Bean sprouts and some vege and a little yellow noodle is mixed on a tray and cooked in water then mixed like this

Then prepare the ketupat

Covered with peanut and fermented soya bean sauces

Finally with koropok

Have to say it tastes great like rojak or gado gado

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Saw a lady selling roti prata on the roadside and had it for dinner

Ordered a murtabak - its cook without any meat but full of onions, spring onion, little chunks of potatoes and egss.

Spread on both sides which finally made it very think.

Ordered chicken curry to go with it.

Total $4

kezgtree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Saw a lady selling roti prata on the roadside and had it for dinner

Ordered a murtabak - its cook without any meat but full of onions, spring onion, little chunks of potatoes and egss.

Spread on both sides which finally made it very think.

Ordered chicken curry to go with it.

Total $4

Thanks Froggy for sharing All the nice photos...cheers