• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Taxi fare structure to be standardised but does not include flag-down fares

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.straitstimes.com/st/print/3656986

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/taxi-companies-set-to/1758206.html

The components include unit fares, surcharges, booking fees and additional passenger fee, and the proposed requirements are expected to be implemented in the second half of 2015.

SINGAPORE: Taxi companies will soon be required to standardise the unit fares, surcharges, booking fees and additional passenger fee components of its taxi fares. The Public Transport Council (PTC) on Tuesday (Mar 31) said this is to prevent taxi fares from becoming even more complex for commuters in the future.

The proposed requirements are expected to be implemented in the second half of the year, after the necessary legislative processes are completed. Flag-down fares will be left as they are for now, as mandating its harmonisation may lead to higher flag-down fares for commuters, said the Land Transport Authority and PTC.

With regard to unit fares, the PTC will require each taxi company to have one set of unit fares for its standard taxis and one set of unit fares for its premium taxis. Unit fares are based on the distance travelled and waiting time of the taxi.

Currently, all standard taxis have the same unit fare of 22 cents, while most premium taxis have a unit fare of 30 cents except for a few models belonging to some taxi companies. To allow for competition, different taxi companies can charge different unit fares.

Each taxi company will also be required to have only one booking fee each for peak period, off peak and advance bookings for all its standard taxis and premium taxis.

The PTC will also require the timings used to define peak-period bookings and advance bookings to be the same across all taxi companies. This is being done by the majority of taxi companies already.

With regard to time surcharges, during peak-period and midnight, as well as location surcharges like in the city and the airport - taxi companies will be required to levy the same surcharge across all its taxi models and across all taxi companies.

The PTC will also mandate that the additional passenger fee, if levied by a taxi company, be the same across all its selected taxi models. Currently, some taxi companies levy an additional passenger fee when their larger taxis carry more than four adult passengers or its equivalent.

- CNA/xk

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what the public want is cheaper taxi fare and what taxi hirers want is cheaper rental. why can't the authority just work on these 2 criteria? why are they hesitant to do so...? oh, i forgot that comfort and smrt is theirs too...:rolleyes: as an ex-super relief. i like to suggest something more inclined to the drivers edge. that is charging rentals based on percentage of earnings rather than fixed their rental rates daily. nowadays, earnings can be computed and seen completely of individual drivers with the click of an mouse. advantages include less hours on the road and thus less risk in accidents. 50% of daily earnings of $200, that work out to be $100 for rental, fair...? i think it is. today, i am in debate mood, any arguments are welcome. i see there is no point for drivers to drive 15 hours a day just to make another $100, in the long run, you will ruin your own health and putting yourself in fatigue and more prone to accidents. furthermore, you can be a hirer instead of gettin reliefs who will normally care less. in the long run, taxi companies will not lose too. there will be less change shift nonsense and so on. think about it...

Last edited:

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
anybody has anything to add? cos' i want to add-on the advantages of varying taxi rental tied to percentage of your earnings. taxi drivers have no benefits of any form. if he fall sick, make the minimum cap of rental at $50, he will not feel stressed and sick at the same time. if you do a calculation, taxi companies make money in the long run of every 5 years, the costs of ownership and others are all covered. the problem/obstacle is that they want to rip the taxi drivers of their lives by making them pay fixed daily rentals of $100+ daily. so for the current drivers, dun think that you can make $100 to $200 by driving 7 hours to 15 hours daily easily, think of the long term, when you are older, you will feel that your body cannot take it. i am a nobody but you can trust my words on this proposal as i have been thru the same shit of taxi driving, i have made few friends and chatted with uncles at coffeeshops, and after thinking thru this, i came out with this idea, which require tweaking. it's for your own good, fight for your own rights. dun let taxi companies rip you off!

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
just in case, i am still a registered relief driver with comfort delgro, last time, i will help my hirer to bring the cab for servicing and always have stayed low profile, i have seen a lot for the past 8 years and they have no problem with me. my suggestion is for the good of everyone. just think a bit further, for your own good.:o
and dun let the pple on top in taxi companies think the drivers are stupid and do not know what they are up to seriously.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i do not have any vested interest in any form, these are for your own good. i am neither interested in politics or be any part of the NTA. trust me again, for your own good. all you have to do is think a bit, pardon my frankness.:o