• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Many opposition supporters only realized how good PAP is after LKY passing

zeroo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tan Yixun: I have a confession to make. Friends who have known me long and well enough will know that I used to be an ardent opposition supporter. I resented Mr Lee and his high handedness. I resented the arrogance of the party he created. I even resented him for forcing me to always stop at the last petrol station in Malaysia to purchase some chewing gum and smuggle it home like a criminal. Basically I got caught up with what seemed cool for an angsty age: to disagree with the majority view and slam him for acting like the King of Singapore.
I am proud to say that I have read up more on politics and history since. Having also seen more of the world now, it dawned on me how much I underestimated the scale of his achievements. I had judged a man who ruled in a different era. I criticised him from my modern and comfortable home in a clean and safe neighbourhood. I neglected how, under his watch, Singapore not only successfully secured its existence in a tumultuous region, but also established itself as a leading financial hub in the world. Singapore thus, embodies not 1, but 2 miracles, for a place half the size of London and which started out with only 2 million people. In my course of study in the UK, I have also learnt to appreciate the ability of a government to make tough pragmatic decisions in the face of populism.
From today’s perspective then, it is so effortless to condemn him for his authoritarian governance. We often forget that the 1960s was a time when the Cold War was in full swing, and Singapore could well have been caught up with the ideological struggles. Even Malaysia’s fight against the Communists continued after our separation. For a small country in turbulent times, the struggle for survival was real and the quest to make it rich and prosperous was positively absurd, laughable even.
I had a conversation centred on Singapore's politics with a foreign acquaintance a few weeks ago. He mocked me as a PAP stooge for singing the same tune as the government and emphasising the fragility of our sovereignty. I didn't know Singaporeans live in so much fear, he said. US, UK, and Australia would assist us in a war, he said. Malaysia and Indonesia have little reason to be hostile, he said. I shot back: this is not about party politics. Look at World War 2 and look what happened the last time we relied on outsiders. Then I realised, this is the ideology Mr Lee espoused: not communism, not nationalism, but cold, hard pragmatism. I'm glad to say it has rubbed off on me.
To achieve all these in one generation is unreal, and to undermine his legacy is to foolishly assert that our status today is our birthright. It is not. How can it possibly be an entirely natural progression of events for us to feature regularly at the top of international rankings ahead of far more powerful countries, or to attain a GDP per capita of US$55,000? Nobody owes us a living. Not our former countrymen across the Causeway, not our former colonial masters.
Yes, in the past week some have deified and worshipped him like an omnipotent god. I cringed at titles like "Grandfather of Singapore". But this is understandable of a society stricken with grief. Mr Lee certainly shouldn’t be given sole credit. Foreign policy was forged by Rajaratnam, compulsory National Service was of Goh Keng Swee’s design, the flats so many of us live in were made possible by Lim Kim San. Yet, what use is a group of brilliant men, if they have no direction from an uncompromising leader?
Today, we close the book on one chapter and open another. The systems and mentalities that he and his colleagues installed will undoubtedly start to unravel gradually as we enter and navigate a new era. I just hope that when that day comes, his spirit lives on in our hearts and his lessons endure in our minds. Rest in peace Mr Lee. We'll take it from here.

LEGEND

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is so not true. Many have ceased their support for PAP after the sending off of old fart yesterday.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He is telling everyone that he is fucking stupid to let propaganda brainwashed...

By the way, do sinkies know what is propaganda?

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Tan Yi Xun... Chen Yi Xun... Eason... 10 years... nice song...

[video=youtube;BqbvK2I_Baw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqbvK2I_Baw[/video]

Last edited:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We will see more of these so called 'regretful' posts. That's the new PAP IB theme ....the death of Old Fart has led to millions of opposition supporters to realize that they were so wrong on LKY and that they will now cast their support to the PAP.

Hallelujah! LKY is dancing in hell ...seeing his death has brought sinkees back to the PAP fold.

Kee Chiu everyone!

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Look at World War 2 and look what happened the last time we relied on outsiders.

what did our founding father do during ww2 ? :rolleyes:

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is my sincere belief that Mister Bean should replace Pinky as the secretary general of the PAP. At least he manages to speaketh Lee Old Fart's hard truth and be entertaining as well. I have a question to ask Pinky ... now that we got the curry recipe, is there any reason for them to stay?

[video=youtube;sg-4ATrE8n0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg-4ATrE8n0[/video]

McDonaldsKid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where in the article does it say that 'many opposition supporters' are only realizing PAP is good after LKY's passing? This just seems to be a 'confession' of one Tan Yixun.

LEGEND

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Look at World War 2 and look what happened the last time we relied on outsiders.

what did our founding father do during ww2 ? :rolleyes:

And he got the cheek to make SG males above 18 serve NS to fight against invaders. KNN. Fucking traitor! :oIo:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You will appreciate Singapore better when you have to live and work long term in places like Malaysia and Indonesia. It gets progressively worse when you include places like Thailand, Philppines, Cambodia and Vietnam.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You will appreciate Singapore better when you have to live and work long term in places like Malaysia and Indonesia. It gets progressively worse when you include places like Thailand, Philppines, Cambodia and Vietnam.

Why compare with Third World countries? Singapore's GDP per capita at independence was already the second highest in Asia, behind only Japan.

Since there is no viable alternative to the PAP, due to its fixing and other dirty tricks, smart Sinkies should know that if say Malaysia and Indonesia does well, it will make the PAP work harder or lose votes.

Must compare with countries that are Swiss standard or equivalent - for that was the promise Lightning made. If you have to sacrifice your political and civil rights, and one shouldn't have to, in return for economic benefits, one should at least hold them to First World standards, otherwise the sacrifice is not worth it. Remember, Singapore was already the fourth busiest port in the world or close to that at independence! It's like the Republicans telling the Americans to be satisfied because they are better off that the Russians - nothing more than farked up logic worthy of a PAPy dog!