• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

LKY Glorification Thread - Post 23 March 2015

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]RESPONSE TO ST LETTER ON THE "VIRTUE OF GRATITUDE"[/h]
Post date:
22 Mar 2015 - 2:50pm

Dear Madam Chang,

I refer to your letter published in ST Forum dated 21 March 2015 which lambasted some Singaporeans having forgotten the virtue of gratitude. ("Gratitude an Important Virtue" By Madam Chang Choon Kheng)

First and foremost, I personally feel that the creation of a hoax website falsely announcing the death of Lee Kuan Yew is a distasteful and mischievous act. I am against such an act.

However, I also find the way you publicly worshipped Lee Kuan Yew and, more importantly, indoctrinated Singaporeans’ children in your role as a pre-school teacher, equally distasteful.

You claimed that when you were teaching your kindergarten pupils the meaning of gratitude, you would “tell them about the history of Singapore, to show them that we must be grateful to our leaders who worked day and night so that we could live comfortably today.” I am not sure whether you are working for a kindergarten of PAP, NTUC or a private organisation.

It should not be difficult to explain the word “gratitude” to a group of pre-school children. One would have used simple examples of children showing gratitude to parents, friends or teachers. But you chose to explain the word “gratitude” in a much more complicated way to kids who were not even ready for Primary One education! It is strange to me that you found it necessary to talk about your version of Singapore’s history, together with a “must” be grateful to politicians - just to explain a simple word “gratitude” to kids below 7 years old! Either you are an incompetent teacher or you see your role as giving political indoctrination to children! I think parents of your pupils should be worried; hopefully none of those parents was victim of the government’s policies!

Perhaps it was due to your kind of political indoctrination at kindergarten level that I was told a teacher in one of our popular girls’ secondary schools, had to take pains in explaining to her students: a government is not a country; it is alright to die for your country but you should not die for your government! Do you know why, Madam Chang? Because a government is made up of politicians! Politicians are people who will do and say all kinds of thing to ensure they get elected and remain in power for as long as possible. They will always tell people that they have done a better job than politicians of other countries or other parties. And no one else could do that “impossible” task except themselves!

Madam Chang, if you need to explain to your pupils in future the word “traitor”, I suggest that you tell your pupils the history of Singapore when it was invaded and under the control of Japanese. You can then give the example of two persons chose to work for the Japanese military, despite many of their fellow countrymen had been murdered or tortured by the Japanese soldiers. One of them worked as a translator while the other helped to decode intercepted secret signals for the Japanese military.

In your letter, you seemed to suggest that Singapore’s success was due to Lee Kuan Yew and therefore we have to be grateful to him. Except for “a peaceful and clean city”, you did not mention what were those great achievements made by Lee Kuan Yew. If you can tell us which part of Singapore is clean and peaceful, I am sure many Singaporeans can give you a list of clean and peaceful cities around the world! And politicians governing those cities do not demand world highest salaries!

And please, Madam Chang, do not tell us that Lee Kuan Yew transformed Singapore from a third-world to first-world country. Singapore was already one of the best cities in Asia when Lee Kuan Yew’s PAP took over. If you follow Lee Kuan Yew’s silly logic of comparing the state of today’s Singapore with that of 50 years ago, then all countries in this world were a third-world nation 50 years ago!

You wrote that given the situation soon after independence, Lee Kuan Yew had no choice but to rule with an iron fist to ensure law and order in Singapore. Again, you failed to elaborate what was the situation that forced Lee Kuan Yew to rule with an iron hand. Was the situation caused by him in the first place? And do you know that long after independence, Lee Kuan Yew continued to rule with a tyrannical hand? Oh, by the way, Lee Kuan Yew had been locking up political dissenters without trial even before Singapore merged with Malaya! When his PAP was an opposition party, he even joined anti-government street protests!

Madam Chang, you are free to wish whatever things for Lee Kuan Yew; you can even go to SGH to burn candles, joss stick and incense papers to pray for his expiry date to be delayed or brought forward! I can’t be bothered! But, stop criticising people for being ungrateful to Lee Kuan Yew! He had ruined many Singaporeans’ lives and caused great hardship to their family members – just because people challenged his preferred way of governing the nation! If you are a daughter of such victim, or you are a victim of his policies, would you still worship Lee Kuan Yew as you have been doing now?

No matter how sad you feel about Lee Kuan Yew is going to die, I want to assure you that after he is dead, the earth will continue to rotate around the sun, the monsoon seasons will still return and go, the Hainanese chicken rice will still be sold, and Char kway teow too will remain available without Lee Kuan Yew!

Celia Lim
*Article first appeared on https://www.facebook.com/celia.maggie/posts/798590313523622:0

KopiO

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Response to st letter on the "virtue of gratitude"

A very well written rebuttal that is both well considered and yet cut through the BS!

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why most people are still sad although the old man is gone

the roots are not eradicated.

spekasers%20corner.jpg

The government has suddenly revoked the right to speak at Speakers' Corner as of 5:30am this morning, the morning of Lee Kuan Yew's death.

Raising the issue on his Facebook Page, Kenneth Jeyaretnam, from the Reform Party pointed out the gazetting of the revocation of rights.

In Singapore, laws on Public Order state that we are not allowed to hold protests or marches or other demonstrations which disrupt public order.

Speakers' Corner at Hong Lim Park was set up for this purpose and special laws were passed to allow people to use this space to hold demonstrations and protests.

The two laws which allowed this were: Public Entertainment and Meetings (Speakers’ Corner) (Exemption) Order 2013 and Public Order (Unrestricted Area) Order 2013

However, these exemption acts was quickly revoked this morning and gazetted. [Link Link]

The Revocation order says that the Minister of Home Affairs had exercised his power to revoke the exemption acts effective as of 5:30 am Mar 23.

This means that it is now illegal for Singaporeans to demonstrate or protest at Speakers' Corner just like it is illegal to do so anywhere else in Singapore.

Meanwhile, there has been no word of this in the mainstream media which is busy posting endless updates about Lee Kuan Yew and the thousands of tributes which are pouring in for him.

While some have pointed out that it could be just a temporary revocation given that 7 days of mourning have been announced for Mr Lee Kuan Yew, there is no obligation for the minister or government to re-instate the right to speak at Speakers' Corner.

In the gazzetted revocation acts, there is no indication to show that this is actually a temporary measure such as by listing an end date.

This move was preempted to prevent embarrassment to PAP by people celebrating there

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: Why most people are still sad although the old man is gone

Now TV, radio and the whole of other media are sounding his merit and broadcast all over. Even those malls with TV are show casing his bullshit..

Starting to brainwashed everyone using the media.. Don't fall for it.

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

in my opinion, we can still celebrate.
everybody can cooperate to wear certain color of the clothes on certain day at certain place

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That's a shame. We could have set up a 'Get well soon' prayer session for LKY at Hong Lim Park.

sgh-well-wisher-corner-data.jpg

After all, you do need extra space to put all those flowers and gifts. :wink:

xpo2015

Alfrescian
Loyal

I think the problem is not others but ourselves. We are unhappy because we are ungrateful and complains alot.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Youngster Rebukes TRS & Anti-PAP samsters!

Singapore_image_1_2.jpg

SINGAPORE IS A GREAT COUNTRY, WE SHOULD APPRECIATE, NOT COMPLAIN!

I have recently joined ‘The Real Singapore’ page, as I am a Singapore student currently studying overseas. I wanted to stay close to home, even though I am miles away. However, I was aghast by the articles I have been seeing. Even though this is a page where we can talk freely, I have to say I am fairly disappointed to see what people are posting.

The first article I saw on this page was someone hoaxing Mr. Lee Kwan Yew’s death. Appalling as it is, it was followed by nasty comments and tons of articles criticizing LKY. Disrespectful things were said to a man in his last days, despite the lifetime efforts he was committed in to make what Singapore is today.

I agree that he had done things in the past that might not have been ethically right, but if he hadn’t done those things, how would the post-WW2 Singapore experience such a stable political system for as long as Singapore had gained independence? Talk about ethically right. What about corruption that appears in so many countries that it is not even worth a topic to discuss? Yes, some of you might complain that our ministers have too high of a pay, but would you rather this be paid out of the low tax we hand in, or directly out from our own pockets, secretly? A government with corruption is like a cake infested with ants. No matter how hard the countries nowadays are trying to pick them out, it is a never ending process which spends even more money out of the tax they pay.

Even when I was in Singapore, I have already noticed how our people had no sense of gratitude and appreciation. We never think Singapore is good enough for the highly egoistically us. We are always complaining about how awful Singapore is, but since I came to Canada, I feel that for those who have not lived in another country, I don’t think you know what you’ve been comparing with.

Personally, I don’t get why we are complaining so much. We are so used to the high efficiency in Singapore I get frustrated ALL THE TIME in Canada. Take our neighboring country for instance. How long do they take to make their passport? Or Canada. The Union Station, the busiest subway station in Toronto, Canada where 200,000 people use it daily, have been renovating for years. My friend came in as a freshman university student and the has already construction started. Until the day he left (4 years later), it’s not even near done. Years later as I started my first year, the construction is still going on and up until now, we are still constantly disrupted by the entire renovating process which is not yet done. (Please note: Toronto is about the size of Singapore. Imagine having City Hall station being under constructions for eons. Roads constantly changing, traffic jams constantly occurring. Yes, that’s what it’s like.)

When I was in Singapore, I hated how packed foreigners had made Singapore become. But honestly, the government is doing this because we are just not that talented. We argue how PRCs occupy all the school spaces, but if we have been better, this would not be a problem. We are just to proud to admit that they are the superior ones. Even so, we refuse to do the “lowly” jobs. We are just to “high-class” for them. Yet, we are complaining about the presence of the foreigners, but without them, what would Singapore become, when it has its citizens as us?

All I want to say to our fellow Singaporeans, is that we should appreciate what we have and stop criticizing our homeland. What kind of impression are we trying to make by doing these, when we are already living in such a wonderful place? You might not think so, because you have no idea how people in other countries, including the leading United States, live. Why do you think so many tourists liked Singapore so much? Being an international student here in Canada, everyone marvels and appreciate Singapore so much. You feel honored when you tell others that “I am from Singapore”. For my entire 16 years of life, I have never felt proud for being a Singaporean, until I stepped into Canada.

Singapore is a great country. Yes, it might not be the best place to live in, but it’s definitely where I think I should belong. It’s clean and it’s safe. Have you see any beggars or homeless people roaming down the street? I never knew what they looked like, until I left Singapore and came to Canada. Flats and cars may be expensive, our cost of living might be one of the highest, but check our poverty level the next time you decide to complain again. We are able to live like that, only because of the strongly established laws, whether you like it or not. How many countries can have such enforced laws?

No matter how much you might disagree, most of these good living conditions attributes to LKY. He is our founding father, and he is what makes Singapore Singapore. No matter how much you might dissent with the methods he used to get us to where we are today, keep it in mind that without him, you wouldn’t even have a chance to criticize him, since we wouldn’t even have laptops or phones to post it on the internet. He turned an empty island into a prosperous city. LKY took over Singapore in 1959, and our GDP then was less than $1 billion. In 2014, it came close to $300 billion. The GDP per capita in 1960 was $427 per person, but in 2013, it shot pass $55,000 per person. Do the math and see the tremendous improvement we have made. All Singaporeans should at least be a teeny bit grateful towards him for the life we are leading now, and pay him the respect he deserves.

If you guys are really that unsatisfied with LKY, why say all these now when he doesn’t even have the chance to defend for himself? Why say this now after all these years, when he can’t respond? Why would people curse him to die, when we owe our good lives to him? Why would people even support it, instead of defending our founding father? Why do people want him to “rot in hell”, when we’ve lost the heart of our nation? Why?

The only thing I think LKY shouldn’t have done, is spoiling us to what we are today. Please, Singaporeans, learn some gratitude, appreciation, and respect, or we would never achieve happiness. If this is the Real Singapore, I would have no regrets if I decide to stay in Canada after pursing my education. After all, a home is not a home, when its family lacks the most basic form of compassion and respect.

Adelle Tan

http://therealsingapore.com/content/singapore-great-country-we-should-appreciate-not-complain

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Youngster Rebukes TRS & Anti-PAP samsters!

A PAP MP and Minister in waiting. His overseas lecturers will fail him.

xpo2015

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Response to st letter on the "virtue of gratitude"

the virtue of gratitude is not to help others but to help yourselves.

to be able to have forgiveness and give thanks to what God has blessed us!

it makes us a happier person! its good for your soul!

the problem is not always others but ourselves.

Last edited: