• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Good war movies - your views?

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can't remember the title but there was this very good Chinese war movie about the Communist troops fighting to the last man defending their position against the Americans during the Korean War.. Watched it on our local channel few years ago..

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The lastest one would be fury starring brad pitt and unbroken which is directed by angelina jolie and stars a famous jap rock star in the movie called miyavi.

Classic ones would be apocolypse now and full metal jacket. I like that one.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I went to see the Longest Day at the Odeon even after I had seen it thrice...
Could not get enough of it as a schoolboy . Looking back it was quite unrealistic

The Longest Day is a true account of D Day. Although it had plenty of big name movie stars, they were playing real life people who were involved with D-Day.

It is really a classic & that's why I the DVD in my DVD collection.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
always get a kick out of "purple sunset" 2001 - ww2 movie about soviet invasion of manchuria with japs being rolled over by tanks.

http://www.movies.com/purple-sunset/m24534

from wikipedia about the invasion of manchuria by soviet and mongolian forces.....

"Tsuyoshi Hasegawa's research has led him to conclude that the atomic bombings were not the principal reason for Japan's capitulation. He argues that Japan's leaders were impacted more by the swift and devastating Soviet victories on the mainland in the week following Joseph Stalin's August 8 declaration of war because the Japanese strategy to protect the home islands was designed to fend off a US invasion from the South, and left virtually no spare troops to counter a Soviet threat from the North. This, according to Hasegawa, amounted to a "strategic bankruptcy" for the Japanese and forced their message of surrender on August 15, 1945.[23][24] Others with similar views include The "Battlefield" series documentary,[2] Drea,[19] Hayashi,[20] and numerous others, though all, including Hasegawa, state that the surrender was not due to any single factor or single event."

Last edited:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nobody like Chinese war movie?

http://youtu.be/1T0RlzEXSGA

German u boat. Das Boot

I find German war movies more realistic. Instead of Hollywood style of glory, German depict the real horror and brutality and terror of frontline combat.

Another great show was Stalingrad. Watched in the movie, cinema boh langs, only war movie bluff as the show in German. Music very stunning.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was too young to see Bridge On the River Kwai until it came back as a rerun

Still have that, whistling theme in my brain...hated the film, not because it was not well made or what!....this film actually made me loose my respect for the British, till this day & I watched this at the cinema when I was young....

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nobody like Chinese war movie?

German u boat. Das Boot

I find German war movies more realistic. Instead of Hollywood style of glory, German depict the real horror and brutality and terror of frontline combat.

Another great show was Stalingrad. Watched in the movie, cinema boh langs, only war movie bluff as the show in German. Music very stunning.

星星月亮太阳 Chapter I & II, watch this at Majestic Cinema, when I was young with my uncle, both the films, couldn't understand much about the story, till I was older...Chinese War Film ( WWII) with love story!

lee6100

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore: "I love the smell of napalm in the morning."

-- Apocalypse Now --

Yes, who can forget. Great movie.
There was also that photojournalist character modeled after Sean Flynn played by Dennis Hopper.

nirvarq

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
[video=youtube;NiVROBhwHUM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiVROBhwHUM[/video]

War history of Gaia

Victory2016

Alfrescian
Loyal
星星月亮太阳 Chapter I & II, watch this at Majestic Cinema, when I was young with my uncle, both the films, couldn't understand much about the story, till I was older...Chinese War Film ( WWII) with love story!

hqdefault.jpg

Yeah - all I remembered of this movie was that the hero did not get any of the 3 girls at the end of the war. What struck me was also they had scenes with epic proportions - Chinese soldiers marching to the front.......

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[video=youtube_share;wvLzJsny0DM]http://youtu.be/wvLzJsny0DM[/video]

This is German version of Stalingrad in 1993. Anyone after watching the above scene still think warfare is fun should have his brain examine.