• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Power to Roy Ngerng

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
10615475_10152825530809141_4678440309689234198_n.jpg

This means two things.

Will the Police arrest the PAP activists, including PAP's potential candidate for Aljunied GRC Victor Lye, for gathering without a permit, or did the PAP just wanted to sabotage the SDP? And even if a permit is required, will the PAP allow the opposition politicians to obtain a permit?

Also, this means that it is time for Singaporeans to go out and distribute your own flyers!

(See first comment for the flyer that Kenneth Jeyaretnam and I did up with the questions that Singaporeans should ask the PAP about the CPF.)
http://thehearttruths.com/2015/03/16/what-you-should-ask-the-pap-government-about-singaporeans-cpf/

We really have to think hard for ourselves. Do we want a system where the Police and civil service is made to work for the PAP, or do we want a system that is fair and just, that protects all Singaporeans fairly?

It is time we take responsibility for ourselves and make a decision that is fair and right for ourselves. It is time we vote in a government that is just and will take care of and protect Singaporeans.

The time is now.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
11020456_10152836636099141_7940458807060946627_n.jpg

Saw an old lady collecting cardboard just now.

This is the legacy that is left, where 30% of Singaporeans live in poverty and where many Singaporeans still do not earn enough to have a basic standard of living, and where many elderly Singaporeans cannot retire because they were not allowed to save enough inside their CPF pension funds, and where many choose to die because they cannot afford to pay for healthcare, no matter how pretty the hospitals can look.

This is the legacy.

To them, there is no First World country, no riches and wealth. To them, life is a constant struggle, day after day.

If I were to cry, it is for them that my heart goes out to.

These are our founding fathers and mothers but who remembers them?

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
11084046_10152836729089141_7317764063466352519_o.jpg

"Kuan Yew, I will come to the crux of my case against you straight away. What is it that you are afraid of, and that impelled you to such a massive public exercise in the total denigration of a comrade of nearly thirty years?

What prompted you to stoop so low to an utterly shameless demolition effort, by way of the incredibly sordid White Paper tabled before Parliament on 29 June?

Your statement in Parliament the same day gave you away. It made it abundantly clear that you were motivated by political revenge. For you referred to my recent public statements on political developments in Singapore as having made necessary what you did. But legitimate political comment calls for a rational political response, not for political revenge by way of a revolting descent into the gutter. The entire exercise reeks of revenge, a motive which enabled you to throw overboard all ethical considerations, medical ethics, Confucianist, Christian, Hindu ethics, the whole lot.

According to your own panel of doctors, I suffered from a medical condition, not a moral or political one. Clinical tests clearly indicated a much enlarged liver, resulting in a state of acute confusion, bouts of giddiness, exhaustion and fainting spells, admittedly erratic conduct, and amnesia. We may differ about the diagnosis. Several doctor friends of mine in Singapore, let alone in the United States, have quite other notions about the diagnosis. For now, we will let that be.

But where in the civilized world is sordid political capital so shamelessly squeezed out of a medical condition? Where else would self-respecting politicians count obviously transient behaviour, proceeding from a critical medical condition, as a fundamental moral or political lapse? And where else is the sacrosanct confidentiality of medical reports, and of doctor-patient relations, so outrageously violated for a purely political purpose? You know the answers. Only in a society governed by a man like you.

All my comrades in party, trade unions and government, including you, have always known me (you often extolled me), as a highly moral man over nearly three decades of intimate comradeship in a common struggle for a common cause-the building of a nation. How does a clearly transient condition transform me overnight into a hopeless alcoholic, womaniser, wife-beater, among other lurid depictions of depravity? The data presented in the White Paper, in the form of my letters to you just before and after my resignation, and of Dr. Nagulendran's psychiatric report! to you (the use of which constitutes the most disgusting outrage on medical ethics imaginable), can only be seen in undistorted perspective, in the light of the most crucial data of all which, of course, has been carefully omitted.

A very good friend of mine, the Indian physiotherapist who accompanied me to Kuching, Mr. Kalu Sarkar, has been quoted against me in the White Paper. Again, a stupendous omission, equivalent to the omission of the Pacific Ocean from the map of the world. It was not revealed that Mr. Sarkar had been arrested, detained, cruelly treated, and released for return to India only after the ISD secured from him statements about me which he knew to be untrue. I discovered this when I met him in India on my way to the United States in 1985. Among other things, Mr. Sarkar vouched for the fact that when in Sarawak, I only rarely drink liquor in the daytime. Only in the evenings did I have my customary drinks. He therefore did not attribute my erratic conduct in the mornings and afternoons to alcohol. I learn that Mr. Sarkar, who is a respected member of his community, is preparing his own affidavit now, as a free man, and not as one of your detainees.

The way you dramatically embellish your facts when it suits you takes some beating... Come off it, please!

I now understand why Brigadier General Lee told the BBC in a recent interview that my recent political criticism of the Government "showed impaired judgment."

So legitimate criticisms of some of your disastrous policies are the result of the impairment of perception and judgment on the part of the critics? In which case innumerable Singaporeans who feel the same way as I do, not to mention your growing number of critics elsewhere, are all loony bins?

Again, come off it, please!

You delude yourself if you believe that the disgusting concoction of misinterpreted truths, half-truths, and untruths, not to speak of gaping omissions, in your parliamentary statement and in the White Paper, will enjoy more than a passing season. Nearly thirty years of struggle and effort in the service of the people of Singapore, in intimate comradeship with you and others, are not wiped out so easily. Not even the formidable intimidatory apparatus of power and systematic misinformation you have assembled can forever stifle the truth. What will ultimately prevail is the season of truth. And the total truth, many-sided and whole, will include the virtues and defects, successes and failures, prides and shames of all of us, including you and me. In short, total truth has an infallible way of debunking the debunkers.

Your genius for sticking labels on people does Singapore no good.

The truth of things often requires the removal of the labels on them. Nowhere more so than in the brand of politics you have developed. Thanks to you, Singapore has rapidly become a vivid illustration of the political adage: "Give a dog a bad name and hang it."

If our nation is to survive as a credible entity in the modem world, we need to unstick the labels you have so tirelessly fixed on people and opinions you disapprove of. Honest, educated young professionals, who had the temerity to develop social ideas of their own, suddenly found themselves arrested and labelled "Marxist conspirators."

A former solicitor-general who entertained rather nebulous notions of leading a small opposition group in Parliament was labelled an instrument of an unlikely Machiavelli in the U.S. Embassy. Now I am the latest victim of your label-fixing genius-brain-damaged alcoholic, wife-beater and what not.

I was surprised to learn from you that it was not considered desirable for me to retire in Singapore after I stepped down as President. You suggested that I accept an ambassadorship. I declined, saying that I did not relish the life-style of an ambassador, involving as it did the treading of an endless cocktail circuit, picking up the latest gossip, and sending it off as a dispatch to the Foreign Ministry. I told you that I would prefer a readership in the National University instead, which would enable me to do my own writing and to relate to our students. You did not seem to particularly like this prospect.

When we met again the following week, you told me that the younger ministers were disappointed that I had rejected an ambassadorship.

Surprised, I asked why. I was dismayed to learn that some of them thought that if I remained in Singapore, I might be tempted to interfere in the political process. I assured you that I would not interfere in any way, and certainly not with the trade unions, which was probably what some persons might have been nervous about. In any case, I had believed what you told me. Indeed, I was prone to repose uncritical belief in you most of the time. I no longer do. I was perhaps blind then to what might have been an unmistakable writing on the wall for me.

It is not possible, in the course of a single letter, to reply in full to the massive public onslaught you unleashed on me with your speech on 29 June, and the accompanying White Paper, which I am confident will be judged by history as a product of acute political dementia.

I am most grieved by the wrong you and Dr. Nagulendran have done to my wife, than by the harm done to me. She has been shockingly and disgustingly misrepresented as a witness against her own husband. In your system, it seems that anything goes. Members of a single family are made to bear witness against each other, not to speak of doctors bearing witness against their patients. Are these the "Confucianist" values you prescribe for Singaporeans? My wife will make her own response. My sons, too, who were witnesses of the circumstances surrounding my resignation, will bear their own witness to the unfolding truth as they saw it.

For the rest, we have not seen the end of the play. The last Act of the tragi-comedy you began has yet to be played out. I wish you good luck."

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am honestly shocked by the amount of violence some Singaporeans have afflicted onto Amos Yee.

Sure, he used some less-than-socially-acceptable language that upset some people to varying degrees, but let's stop being hypocritical and pretend that we don't use such language as well. For one, one PAP activist who watched the video made by Amos said that he wanted to chop off the boy's penis and stuff it into his mouth.

But this is not about whether it's the PAP or the opposition, or the fence-sitters, middle-ground, whatever it may be.

This is about what we as Singaporeans believe in and how we treat other people, but not even as Singaporeans, but as people, as a human being.

What makes us believe that we are on higher ground than Amos when at the slightest, we decide to call the police to arrest someone who is still only 16?

Before anyone even called the police, did we even think to ourselves why the boy did what he did? Or did we ride on our high horses and decide that he should be shot for what he did?

What kind of society have we become when the very first thing that comes to our mind is that violence should be paid with violence?

I don't know how many of us still remember being 16. I am 34 this year but I still remember that at 16, I was still growing up, still learning as a person, still trying to figure out life, love, and most importantly, struggling with my low self-esteem issues.

I was called names, mocked, laughed at, booed off stage when I went on stage to receive an award. It took me years before I learnt to love myself once more and understood what it meant to forgive and to love in return.

But even at 34, I am still learning and am at times, angry and still learning to reconcile. Just last week, I had to do that with the death of Lee Kuan Yew.

We all learn, whether we are 16, 34 or 61. And the least we should do is to understand that if we have to go through such learning at each and every way, and at every step then the least we could do is to respect that someone else has to go through that same journey as well.

And to help the person along in his or her journey. That is what humans do. That is what people do.

That said, I do not know Amos and he might just be a perfectly bright person who sees it his right to express himself in a manner that Singaporeans cannot gel with and I might be the one with self-esteem issues and being over-apologetic.

What kind of person does it make us, to be self-righteous and decide that if we are hurt, we should hurt someone in return?

Let's face it, if you are a PAP supporter, it's much easier to live in Singapore. It feels like everything is at your disposal and if you support the opposition, the opposite happens. And when a boy comes out and critically appraise Lee Kuan Yew, it's of course easy for those on the other side to jump and ask for him to be torn apart.

But how different are our actions, as compared to the those who carry pitchforks in the Middle Ages rearing to burn a witch at the stake?

What perhaps shock me is that with the level of education our society so propound that at the very instance of unhappiness, we call the police instead of use of critical senses to debate it out with Amos.

Surely, if he said something that someone else doesn't like, we could try to understand his perspective and debate like the mature people we claim to be?

I don't know if we can see this but our actions have only shown how we have degenerated as a people. Perhaps it is the bad example that has been shown by the government that if I am not happy with you, I will use the law against you that has caused our people to learn from such bad behaviour as well.

For a nation that prides itself on a good education system, our very willingness to run away from a debate cannot be more of a mockery to the very education system we want to enshrine. I hope Singaporeans can see the hypocrisy in what we are doing.

Let's not pretend here. I am not unsupportive of what the boy is trying to do. But if it were a PAP supporter doing the same, would I be equally liberal-minded. The answer is yes. For the past three years since I started writing, I have faced numerous attacks on my blog and Facebook by supporters of the PAP. Fabrications About the PAP Facebook page have made so many snide remarks about me, and defamed my character through and through but have I called the police? In fact, at times, I have even smiled at their imagination and their ability to find even the most unexpected thing to mock me. Yes, I even enjoy it sometimes the humour they make of me. Ask my friends. I chuckle at the humour of Fabrications About the PAP, even if crass and against me. Nonetheless, funny is funny. And I am not going to pretend to be hurt.

But I am able to laugh at myself. I am able to laugh when someone laughs at me. Because I am comfortable enough in my own skin that I am not out to hurt someone back, just because my own skin is torn. No, I am not waiting to hurt someone just because I cannot accept myself.

I do not know Amos and I do not know why he did what he did. Did he go overboard? Maybe. I do not know him or his motivations. Did he make some good points, or some bad points? Maybe. Am I going to judge him?

Perhaps as much as I will judge the Fabrications About the PAP.

Point is, here is a 16-year-old man who said something that some people disagree with but some people praised. But who even bothered to speak to him to ask him why his thoughts were as such, if we disagree or agree with him? I didn't. But how many of us could not wait to judge him even know we know jack shit about him or why he said what he said.

Or were we only waiting to lash out at him, because we believe we know better and we have the right to let ourselves at him? If we think we have the right, then doesn't he similarly have the right?

I don't know if we understand what this means. There is a disease in our society. We are now being infected with a sense of self-righteousness and self-worth, bred by our belief that we are better than someone else, blinded so much by our beliefs that we can't see that of another, or that of someone else who think differently from us, and where in our eagerness to appease ourselves, we lash out at another person.

Just last week, we spoke of morals, of values, of niceties and of kindness, etc. And then when someone came by and said some things, all our values went out the window. He is wrong, he should not say that, his penis should be cut off.

Really, I don't know if we realise how hypocritical we are.

Why am I getting so worked up over this? First, I am in the middle of a law suit and am facing two criminal charges myself. Do I want someone else to go through the emotional trauma that I have to go through? No, I do not want to. Second, this man is 16. When I was 16, did I know everything that I was doing? No, I did not. Would it help if people actually reached out to me and spoke to me? Yes, it would. Again, having said that, he could be a perfectly well-adjusted person and he seems much brighter than I was at my age anyway. Third, does a 16-year-old even know how to deal with such a situation that Amos has gotten himself into now? No, he wouldn't obviously. Even as a 34-year-old, I am learning to do so on a constant basis. And if anyone wants to tell me now that he should have known better and should thus deal with it now, then we should all have known better when we got into a bad job or bought into a bad investment and should not complain thereafter. And again, if we cannot have the simple empathy for someone else, then it says more about us than it does another person.

No, this is not about the PAP or the opposition. I do not support the PAP, yes, but this is more than that.

I am just shocked, saddened and hurt that some Singaporeans would see no harm to enact violence onto someone else, a boy no less, and not see the hypocrisy and ignorance of our actions. Of course, should Amos have made the video in the first place? But who I am to judge? Should the PAP activists go around sticking flyers into the homes of the Aljunied residents in the first place?

Am I any wiser? No, I am not.

But how many of us are able to hold back on our emotions, to try to understand something from various perspectives, before we make a judgement? And if we took the time to look through from various angles, would we still judge someone or would have a better understanding of someone, and be more considerate instead?

I don't think we gave ourselves that chance.

If anything, it only shows the sad state that the Singaporean society has degenerated.

The death of Lee Kuan Yew was a new beginning for Singapore. We can praise the good that he had done for Singapore but so could we have a chance to acknowledge his wrongdoings, to forgive and to allow our nation to renew itself and to move on to a new beginning.

I don't know if we can see this.

Yes, this is a rant. Yes, there will be people who will come to my wall and lambast me and say that I am not qualified to say these things (for yes, because you are qualified to say these things to me on my wall? - see, self-righteousness). Yes, there will be people who will hate me. There will be people who will attack me.

It's OK. This is Singapore and what it has become today.

Are we proud of it? Are we proud of how divided our country has become? In its pursuit for power and wealth, the PAP has entrenched the divide. And in our own fear, Singaporeans have allowed ourselves to wallow in our own demise and disempowerment.

No, don't just blame the PAP. Don't blame the opposition. Blame it on ourselves for letting go of our own rights in such times of divide, and then continue to blame one another for it. For if we never take responsibility for ourselves and stand up for ourselves, then we can forget about our country ever healing itself.

Really, really, I do not know if we can see the hypocrisy and ignorance of our actions, and how our country is in its slow degeneration of a people who have voluntarily let go of our own rights and in turn, believe that violence can be the way to resolve things.

So much for First World. We haven't even gotten out of the Third.

Roy just described SInkie behaviour...

i am so glad that i stay away from sinkies.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
11080781_10152851569829141_4124993854560979902_o.jpg

I am honestly shocked. Amos's arrest is clearly political.

In one case, the police is still "investigating" after 3 months but for Amos, he was arrested and charged within 2 days. The police will take 3 months to "investigate" an adult but would arrest a child, charge him with 3 charges and even threaten to jail him for 5 years, all within 2 days. How can we even trust the Police to do its job when it can be used to politically prosecute Singaporeans who disagree with the PAP? I am shocked. And at a loss of words.

The hypocrisy and double-standards are astounding. I try not to think this but I cannot but feel aggrieved that Singaporeans are being treated as second-class citizens by the very government which is supposed to protect us and uphold our interests.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I don't know where you got these figures but is it the rates in Spore, US or..... ? I used to travel around the region & would often visit the banks & was surprised at how much higher the rates were compared to Spore.

This is why I started opening bank accounts outside of Spore whenever possible.
However I now keep the bulk of my $$$ in the US:smile:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I gave an interview to Ming Pao from Hong Kong recently.

"He said that Singapore and Hong Kong are facing similar situations, where society is facing strong political power and challenging social changes. The Hong Kong and Singapore governments are the same, both are pro-business and are motivated by money. Society is constantly instilled with a sense of competition, people are made to pursue their own interests, and thus become indifferent to the pursuit of social justice and system change.

"The most obvious problem is the gap between rich and poor, please do not be misled by the propaganda of Singapore, because the fact is that our Gini coefficient (income inequality), after Hong Kong, is the highest among the developed countries." He pointed to statistics from the Singapore Management University which highlights that the poverty rate in Singapore could be as high as 35%. "When you look at the OECD (Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development) statistics, cleaners in Singapore earn only S$1,000 (HK$5,700) which is only one-fifth of what the Norwegians earn." He pointed out that Singapore worries that if labour costs are too high that this will affect competitiveness and thus keeps suppressing the wages of Singaporeans. "(But) even Hong Kong has minimum wage, Singapore is one of very few countries which still do not have a minimum wage."

In terms of education, healthcare and social protection, Roy believes that Singapore is similar to Hong Kong. "We spend the lowest expenditure among the developed countries (or regions)." In addition, there is still the question of fairness. Even though Singapore and Hong Kong follow the rule of law, but Roy said, "Singapore is the same as Hong Kong where the law is tipped in favour of the rich."

However, even though Roy believes that Singapore and Hong Kong both face strong political power and an unequal society, he is optimistic about the prospects of Singapore, "Singapore is moreover an independent country, the question lies in the people's awareness, but for Hong Kong, there is still the Beijing government above it." He believes that if the same large-scale protests were to happen in Singapore, "the People's Action Party (PAP) government would have fallen long ago."

See, i am right again.. you don't vote out a bunch of worthless govt shit like PAP , you protest and throw them out.. Keep on being ball-less and you sinkie losers will be screwed your whole life.

That is why i stay away from sinkie shit losers...btw, i am always right!!!

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
10560555_10152864245509141_2529782496192132656_o.jpg

I cannot but feel that the law in Singapore has become distorted by the PAP's unjust behaviour.

Since Tan Tock Seng Hospital fired me for "conduct incompatible with the values and standards expected of employees", it was said that it should fire Ed Mundsel Bello Ello too.

So, Ed Ello was fired and we cheered.

Since Amos Yee was arrested and charged, Ed Ello should be arrested and charged as well.

And so, Ed Ello was charged and we cheered.

But then, where is the rule of law?

We know that my firing was political. We know that Amos's arrest and charges are political.

Yet, in an attempt to appease the people, the unfair way of prosecution is applied onto others as well.

Does this mean that everytime the government wants to distort the law to politically prosecute someone, they then have to keep distorting it onto everyone else so that they can justify their want to play politics?

Then where will all these end? It will end with a Singapore where we can no longer trust the law or the government and police to carry out the law fairly.

The rule of law is what allows Singapore and Singaporeans to function with trust among one another and where we can believe that justice can be carried out. But when the law is distorted by the government and then applied unevenly, what then can Singaporeans trust if justice can no longer be fairly upheld in our country?

If so, can we still trust that the country will be stable and safe?

Singapore was built up by the first-generation politicians to become a non-corrupt country in the first 20 years of our country's independence but under the current PAP government, too scared of losing its power, we are beginning to see the unravelling of the system we so carefully built. Will SG50 spell the start of the fall of Singapore instead?

I am very displeased with the PAP's actions. First, Amos is 16 and he needs to be guided. What he said has been debated and there has been no consensus. But he does not deserve to become a criminal or be punished for speaking up. Yet in the government's want to continue to prosecute him, the law has been distorted.

And then unfairly applied to others.

It is time for the PAP to stop being abusive with the law. It is time for the PAP to remember what integrity means. If we allow our country to go down the road of unfairness and injustice by the PAP's very own actions, then we are allowing the structure that maintained Singapore's legitimacy from being dismantled and ruined.

Perhaps this is a sign of the PAP's rule, too used to politically oppressing Singaporeans that such rouge behaviour have gotten into their heads and they see this as normal but where the current PAP, too used to not having the integrity to uphold the law, has continued to twist and turn the law all too often for its own means, that such behaviour might be Singapore's very own undoing.

I am worried. I am very worried that the PAP does not seem to realise the folly of its action that this will be a grave mistake that will do Singapore in.

I repeat my call for the charges against Amos to be dropped and for the unjust laws to be removed. We cannot allow laws which exist to punish people unfairly to exist and we cannot allow for a government which would unfairly carry out the law to continue to remain in power. To do so will be dangerous to Singapore's future and the safety of our nation and people. Please also call for the charges to be dropped and for Amos to be freed.

And if the PAP remains with its divisive and unjust ways, then it is time the PAP has to go, for the protection of Singapore.