• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Shit Times reporter "Home Ownership a pipe dream for many in the US" LOL

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
U misunderstood me.we are talking about a country's population achieving full home ownership rates for all.isn't that meaningless if at the end of the day the governments only purpose is to create a unhealthy bubble of speculation and inflation and saddle their citizens with the highest housing debt in the world just to have a roof over their heads?there are bigger things than just money like national identity and culture and pride.I know u fancy urself as a international vagrant but at the end of the day u still chose new Zealand as ur home in good times or bad having resided there for nearly 20 years.

He is a sheep fucker. He goes where the sheeps are. Then one day, he woke up, and realized that sinkieland is populated with stupid sheeps following the PAP. SO, he came back.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
My point exactly. At the end of the day it makes no difference whether a property is leasehold or freehold. As long as there is strong demand, property will appreciate leasehold property included. If a giant comet was headed towards earth to end life as we know it within months, all property would become worthless

In order for demand to be strong and for property to appreciate, there must be a perception of stability and the PAP provides that in spades.

That's why I always say PAP is the best!

Now the fucktard is talking about Giant Comets. hahahhahahahah

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
in terms of desirability of location, sg ranks up there with nyc and the sf bay area, yet young couples can still afford modern, build-to-order, multi-room homes at a small fraction of what the same units will cost in nyc and the sf bay area, thanks to the hdb and the pap.

SO what, young couples can rent in SF and NYC too. Just like those young couples renting for 99 years in SIngapore. What's the diff?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't change the subject. The thread title says that home ownership in the US is a pipe dream. You then posted an example of a Palo Alto fixer upper to prove the point. I refuted that by saying that there are many places in the US such as Orlando and Phoenix where home ownership is very affordable. You then come out with "who wants to live in these shit loser places". That is your opinion. I have been to both those places and I have no problems with those cities. rather then mixing with all the apunehs in silicon valley, I have no issues with those places. Stay on point here.

you can't compare apples with oranges. u.s. are the size of a continent, sg is just a peesai. anyone who compares sg to the whole u.s. is nuts and not on point here. if you wish to compare apples with apples, you need to compare sg with nyc and sf bay area, where finance, tech, f&b, tourism, retail, hospitality jobs are, where desirability of location is a factor, with equivalent population, urbanization, and density parameters, and comparable cost of living and spending power. choosing orlando and phoenix for comparison with sg is a cop-out. if i'm like you and want to win an argument, i might as well pick way much "cheaper" austin, dallas or houston for comparison.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
When you buy a leasehold unit, you own the lease be it 99 years, 999 years or 9999 years.

Ok, I will take this opportunity to educate the readers of this thread at this time, because Sam the Sheep fucker is once again misleading everyone by his ignorance.

If you own a freehold property, you own both the underlying piece of land and also the building on which it sits.

If you own a leasehold property for say 99 years, you lease the underlying piece of land for 99 years, but you own the actual building on which it sits. So, lets say after 50 years owning this property, you and the other owners of the building decide to tear it down and build a new building, you can do so because you own it and am free to do what you want with the building. After 99 years, the lease ends and depending on the terms of the original lease, the building is handed over to the land owner at a predetermined formula price or demolished and the land is returned to the land owner in its original state.

In a HDB 99 year lease, you own nothing, not the land and not the building. You are basically prepaying your rent in advance for 99 years to HDB. You are simply a tenant. The HDB is the landlord. It says so in your contract. That is why when you "sell" the HDB flat, you need to get the approval of the Landlord first. When you "sell" the flat, you are not actually selling it because you don't own it. You are assigning the right to live in the flat to someone else for X amount of money. e.g You "buy" a flat and have a 99 year prepaid lease on it today. 10 years later, you want to live somewhere else and decide to "sell" your flat. What you are "selling" is the right to live in your flat for the remaining 89 years to some one else. This is called an assignment. In other words, you are now subletting your flat to someone else. And that is why HDB as the landlord has to approve this subletting. You are assigning your right to enjoy the use of the flat for the next 89 years to someone else for money. That's all it is. U own nothing.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
you can't compare apples with oranges. u.s. are the size of a continent, sg is just a peesai. anyone who compares sg to the whole u.s. is nuts and not on point here. if you wish to compare apples with apples, you need to compare sg with nyc and sf bay area, where finance, tech, f&b, tourism, retail, hospitality jobs are, where desirability of location is a factor, with equivalent population, urbanization, and density parameters, and comparable cost of living and spending power. choosing orlando and phoenix for comparison with sg is a cop-out. if i'm like you and want to win an argument, i might as well pick way much "cheaper" austin, dallas or houston for comparison.

Look what is happening in Auckland... couples are losing all hope of ever owning a home. In Singapore, even the lowest income groups have a place to call their own and this is all thanks to the PAP!

For Singaporeans to appreciate what the PAP has done for them, they need to spend a few years living in a country where things don't function like clockwork the way they do in Singapore. It would be a good reality check.

printLogo.png

Salvation Army: Auckland's worsening housing crisis putting incredible stress on families

By Simon Collins
8:03 AM Wednesday Feb 11, 2015
SCCZEN_100215NZHBPRENTERS1_220x147.jpg

Jess Severn and Jason Paul wanted a home with back yard for Liam and Bailey. Picture / Brett Phibbs

The Salvation Army said this morning that the housing crisis in Auckland was adding "incredible stress" to the day-to-day lives of many families.

The charity's annual State of the Nation report shows the housing shortage in the city worsened by a record near-4000 houses last year, as a pickup in home-building was "swamped" by a tide of new immigrants.

The report, A Mountain All Can Climb, says the city needed 11,200 new homes last year to house a population increase of 33,700 people at the region's average of three people per dwelling. But permits for only 7366 new dwellings were issued, leaving a shortfall of about 3800.

SPECIAL REPORT: State of Nation report shows life in NZ getting better

Salvation Army social policy director Major Sue Hay told TV3's Firstline said that supply was the big issue that needed to addressed. "Land needs to be made available so that more houses can be built at an affordable price for low income people.

"There's incredible stress for people in terms of housing, the impact on their rents, the impact on their ability to feel like they are providing for their families, the constant stress of shifting. Some of our families shift six times in a year or don't know where they are living day-to-day. That adds incredible stress."

The Salvation army said, overall, the report was a "good news bad news story".

"There are some incredible positives. We are thrilled that youth culture is looking better. Youth offending is down youth employment is up. Teenage pregnancy rates continue to drop, and overall in New Zealand we are drinking and gambling less - so there are some real positives."

However, they were disappointed with domestic violence statistics, she told the programme.

"Serious violence and domestic violence is not really shifting, and a hard proportion of that violence is happening in our homes. It's an issue we need to bring out from behind closed doors and start to address as a nation."

The report, written by the army's social policy analyst and former Manukau city councillor Alan Johnson, gave the Government a "D" grade for housing in its social wellbeing scorecard.

The shortage in new housing Auckland has helped to drive the region's median house prices up 10 per cent to a record $670,000.
Median rents rose by only 5 per cent, but there were much bigger increases in many traditionally low-priced suburbs as people unable to find places to rent in higher-priced areas "spilled over" into less sought-after neighbourhoods.

Outside housing, the report found some good news as economic recovery from the recent recession flowed through into more jobs, higher incomes and dwindling welfare rolls.

The proportion of children in families on welfare may have dropped to its lowest level for 25 years, through a combination of welfare reforms pushing beneficiaries into work and more jobs pulling them in to earn higher incomes.

The number of children on welfare is historically an early indicator of child poverty levels, making it possible that child poverty may also have dropped to rates not seen for a generation.

But Mr Johnson warned that the historical link may have been weakened by increasing use of casual work and by escalating housing costs, which may leave many of those who have found work little better off than they were on benefits. "We might be finding that people are jumping from one poverty trap to another," he said.

The report estimates that Auckland's cumulative shortage of new houses over the past five years has now reached between 12,000 and 13,000.

"Over this period, Auckland has received 49 per cent of New Zealand's population growth, yet gained only 26 per cent of new housing consents," it says.

In the past year most of the city's population growth (27,600) came from net immigration from overseas, only partly offset by net internal out-migration of 5200 people to the rest of New Zealand. There was also a natural excess of 13,671 births over deaths.

In contrast, new dwelling consents in Christchurch, at 6668 last year, were much more in balance with a population increase of about 10,100. The report says the Christchurch population is now back up to 465,800, slightly more than before the 2010-11 earthquakes, and its housing stock has recovered to 185,000, only slightly below its pre-quake stock of 186,200.

It finds that rents for three-bedroom houses in the lower quarter of the market increased by more than consumer prices over the past five years in 23 out of 25 towns and suburbs that it selected as the lowest-valued parts of the country's main populated regions.

The biggest increases were in the Auckland suburb of Otahuhu (up 38 per cent) and in three Christchurch suburbs. The highest rents of the 25 communities were in Panmure, where lower-quarter rents for three-bedroom houses are now $445 a week.

Greenstone Group managing director Phil Eaton, who chairs the Property Council's Auckland branch, said the cheapest way to build more affordable housing quickly would be through more intensive housing such as apartments and townhouses in built-up areas with existing services.

"Sprawling greenfields development is not the only answer," he said. "We need smarter, well designed and located housing closer to where the jobs are."

Skyrocketing rents stretch young family

When Jason Paul and Jess Severn returned to Auckland in December, the only place they could find to live was an upstairs flat costing $470 a week.

The couple, both 26, have two children - 4-month-old son Liam and 2-year-old Bailey. They wanted somewhere where the children could play outside.

Instead, their three-bedroom unit near the Panmure Basin backs right on to another unit and has only a sealed parking space between their front door and a busy highway.

They are lucky to have it. After Mr Paul's job on a dairy farm near Dargaville was sunk by plunging dairy prices in September, just weeks before Bailey was born, they searched the internet for houses in Auckland where both grew up.

"We applied for each house, we were applying for a lot, but so were thousands of other people," Mr Paul said.

They were casual workers at the Vector Arena before they moved north last year. They kept up that work even while they were up north, and since, but they have lived mainly on a benefit until Ms Severn started a job as a shop assistant this week. After paying the rent, they live on only $80 a week.

Their letting agent has just found them a three-bedroom house in South Auckland at $430 a week - with a backyard.

"It's an issue we need to bring out from behind closed doors and start to address as a nation."

- additional reporting NZME. News Service
By Simon Collins
- NZ Herald

Copyright ©2015, APN New Zealand Limited

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singaporeans are indeed very lucky to be able to own their homes with the initial deposit and the monthly payments all taken care of using CPF funds.

It means less money for retirement. That's not lucky. Overpriced pigeon hole.

Singaporeans are the envy of the rest of the world. They complain constantly because they don't realise how lucky they are.
That's because no foreigner bother to find out the details of the most expensive public housing.

In NZ, a young couple just starting out in life would have to come up with at least $50,000 of cold hard cash for a chance to own a home.
It is theirs forever, not 99 years or 999 years ....it is forever. And they will still have enough for retirement.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
you can't compare apples with oranges. .

Ok, lets compare apples and oranges then. Kindly give me a property in your area that is something a first time home buyer would buy. I will find a comparable property in singapore and see which is more affordable. You will lose 10 times out of 10. If you can find a leasehold property in the bay Area, you will be lucky. So, you have to compare freehold property. 90% of all property in the Bay Area is freehold. 90% of all property in singapore is a 99 year rental lease. Feel free to dig up any property in the Bay Area and see what the equivalent will cost in singapore, and then tell me that singapore is still affordable. U are full of shit. maybe u better leave your fuck buddies on Polk and Castro and come back to singapore and see for yourself.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It is theirs forever, not 99 years or 999 years ....it is forever. And they will still have enough for retirement.

No home lasts forever. Freehold is just an illusion. Most people would have sold their 999-year home within 50 years. A 99-year home can last for around two full generations, which is pretty good. Your third generation needs to learn to take care of themselves.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ok, lets compare apples and oranges then. Kindly give me a property in your area that is something a first time home buyer would buy. I will find a comparable property in singapore and see which is more affordable. You will lose 10 times out of 10. If you can find a leasehold property in the bay Area, you will be lucky. So, you have to compare freehold property. 90% of all property in the Bay Area is freehold. 90% of all property in singapore is a 99 year rental lease. Feel free to dig up any property in the Bay Area and see what the equivalent will cost in singapore, and then tell me that singapore is still affordable. U are full of shit. maybe u better leave your fuck buddies on Polk and Castro and come back to singapore and see for yourself.

http://m.kbhome.com/new-homes-bay-area/the-towns-at-berryessa-crossing

town-homes and condos in this new community are still available starting in the high $500k for 2-bedroom condo and $700k for townhouse. for condos, there's no such thing in u.s. real estate language as "freehold" as the land condos sit on is shared community property with other condo owners. $ are in us dollars. the location is in one of the more affordable places in sj, and it's near the future berryessa bart station, perfect for first-time buyer couples trying to get into home ownership.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This issue was put to bed a long time ago. I won.

When did you change your (lack of) integrity like your fanboy GMS and become interested in winning and losing. I thought this was what you said just 8 months ago:

I'm not interested in gaining upper hands. It is not for you or I to judge such matters.
I concentrate purely on speaking the truth and truth always prevails in the long run.

http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread....ng-Roy-Ngerng-VS-the-WP&p=1904572#post1904572

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

town-homes and condos in this new community are still available starting in the high $500k for 2-bedroom condo and $700k for townhouse. for condos, there's no such thing in u.s. real estate language as "freehold" as the land condos sit on is shared community property with other condo owners. $ are in us dollars. the location is in one of the more affordable places in sj, and it's near the future berryessa bart station, perfect for first-time buyer couples trying to get into home ownership.

Look let's be keeping it real.when I saw the map of bay area San Francisco there is so much green forested undeveloped areas its like the green mossy bush of a Japanese av star.the 700k townhouse ur talking about is probably at least 3000 to 12000 sqft with 3 toilets and 8 bedrooms.for 500k condo in Singapore ur lucky if u find a condo big enough to fit ur refrigerator with a 30 year lease and 10 banghra tenants as ur neighbors.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In Singapore, because of the wonderful CPF scheme, no cash down payment is required. In fact, first time buyers are given an extremely generous grant of up to $40,000. The details of this scheme are at http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10321p.nsf/w/BuyingNewFlatAdditionalCPFHousingGrant?OpenDocument

Even if you have enough $$$$ in your CPF, whatever you take out from your own CPF for housing is considered a loan from the PAP gpv't to you. So how wonderful is this when they charge you interest to use your own money:confused:

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Singapore ownership is even lower. I believe something like 80% or 90% stays in HDB, which is only leased.

In addition, although in NZ, the cash component is 50k, have the writer considered that in Singapore, if you are a young couple, other than the cash deposit, they may not have enough CPF to pay the remaining amount and may have to resort to cash too.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Singapore ownership is even lower. I believe something like 80% or 90% stays in HDB, which is only leased.

In addition, although in NZ, the cash component is 50k, have the writer considered that in Singapore, if you are a young couple, other than the cash deposit, they may not have enough CPF to pay the remaining amount and may have to resort to cash too.

Splitting hairs over the definition of a lease in a lame attempt to discredit the best government in the world does not alter the fact that by international standards, Singapore is recognised as being at the forefront of home ownership levels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_home_ownership_rate

RankCountryHome ownership
rate(%)
Date of
Information
23px-Flag_of_Romania.svg.png
Romania
96.62012[SUP][2][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Lithuania.svg.png
Lithuania
91.92012[SUP][2][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Hungary.svg.png
Hungary
90.52012[SUP][2][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Singapore.svg.png
Singapore
90.52013[SUP][3][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Slovakia.svg.png
Slovakia
90.42012[SUP][2][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China.svg.png
China
902012[SUP][4][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Croatia.svg.png
Croatia
89.52012[SUP][2][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Bulgaria.svg.png
Bulgaria
87.42012[SUP][2][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png
India
86.62011[SUP][5][/SUP]
21px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.png
Norway
84.82012[SUP][2][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
Russia
84.02012[SUP][6][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Poland.svg.png
Poland
82.42012[SUP][2][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Estonia.svg.png
Estonia
82.22012[SUP][2][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Malta.svg.png
Malta
81.82012[SUP][2][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Latvia.svg.png
Latvia
81.22013[SUP][2][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png
Czech Republic
80.42012[SUP][2][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png
Mexico
802009[SUP][7][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png
Spain
78.92012[SUP][2][/SUP]
21px-Flag_of_Iceland.svg.png
Iceland
77.32012[SUP][2][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Slovenia.svg.png
Slovenia
76.22012[SUP][2][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Greece.svg.png
Greece
75.92012[SUP][2][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png
Portugal
74.52012[SUP][2][/SUP]
22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png
Brazil
74.42008[SUP][8][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
Italy
74.12012[SUP][2][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png
Finland
73.92012[SUP][2][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Cyprus.svg.png
Cyprus
73.22012[SUP][2][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png
Belgium
72.32012[SUP][2][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Luxembourg.svg.png
Luxembourg
70.82012[SUP][2][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
Sweden
70.12012[SUP][2][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png
Canada
692011[SUP][9][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png
Netherlands
67.52012[SUP][2][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png
Australia
672011[SUP][10][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
United Kingdom
66.72012[SUP][2][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States
65.22013[SUP][11][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png
New Zealand
64.82013[SUP][12][/SUP]
20px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png
Denmark
64.32012[SUP][2][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
France
63.72012[SUP][2][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png
Japan
61.62008[SUP][13][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Turkey.svg.png
Turkey
602011[SUP][14][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Austria.svg.png
Austria
57.52012[SUP][2][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_South_Korea.svg.png
South Korea
54.22010[SUP][15][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
Germany
53.32012[SUP][2][/SUP]
16px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png
Switzerland
43.92012[SUP][2][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Trinidad_and_Tobago.svg.png
Trinidad & Tobago
762013[SUP][16][/SUP]
23px-Flag_of_Hong_Kong.svg.png
Hong Kong
50.92014[SUP][17][/SUP]

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Even if you have enough $$$$ in your CPF, whatever you take out from your own CPF for housing is considered a loan from the PAP gpv't to you. So how wonderful is this when they charge you interest to use your own money:confused:

This accrued interest thing on your own money is what I can never wrap my fucking mind around.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Here is an article from you own SF Bay area news outlet specifically explaining what a Freehold property is and yet you persist in your lies that there is no such thing as "freehold" property in the US? U are such a fucking clown.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/better-buy-freehold-leasehold-3240.html