• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Nowadays Hor Fun got no standard

Manager

Don't mess with me
Generous Asset
boy am i surprised? no good hor fun?

it is because u dont know WHERE and HOW to get good food
just like why u cannot find a good job that pay u well. :kma:

Ordered Hor fun last night. What a fucking disappointment.
I guess prc's are making hor fun now.

Those who are old enough will remember that there are prawns, squid, pork, pork liver, fish slice and choy sum in hor fun ages ago.

Our food has to be regulated. Any foreigner who wants to open a stall selling one of our favourites, must have lived here for at least 10 years and the dish he intends to make and sell must be approved by a panel of local chefs.
KNN !!

Ambulance

Alfrescian
Loyal
halo wan to eat lim beh horfun is 8 dollah not ringgit hor

khaw_0.jpg

I think in Penang, they only allow their locals to sell local food.
here, horfun is Dead.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this one from a hawker center is the old school type, but there's a partial fingerprint of black sauce on the plate.

image.jpg

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Those who are old enough will remember that there are prawns, squid, pork, pork liver, fish slice and choy sum in hor fun ages ago.

Our food has to be regulated. Any foreigner who wants to open a stall selling one of our favourites, must have lived here for at least 10 years and the dish he intends to make and sell must be approved by a panel of local chefs.
KNN !!

U are exactly why the standard of singapore hawker food is declining. Follow a few simple rules like I do.

1) Determine even as you are walking up to the stall whether the cook is PRC or not. Its easy enough to do. Just look at the language they speak, their accent, etc. Walk away if they are PRC, I do. Look at the age of the person cooking.

2) Look at the dish as he is cooking it for other customers. Does it smell right, look right, are the ingredients all there. More importantly how does he cook it, is the heat high, is the noodle black enough, etc. If not, you don't have to bother buying from him.

3) look at the customers. If they are FTs and younger sinkies, that is also a warning sign.

If you don't go thru the above checklist and you give them your business, then it just keeps them in business and they continue to lower the standard.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
i think its long overdue for a cooking school to be opened specifically geared towards old style singapore cooking in regards to hawker and kopitiam fare. It should be run by an individual or individuals who know how to cook that way, like Violet Oon's calibre. There are currently a few like Shermay's Cooking School (started by the grand daughter of Mrs Lee's cookbook) but they offer only a short term course for people who want to learn how to cook and housewives. I am talking about about a dedicated school for professional cooks who want to open their stalls one day. Maybe a 9 months to 1 year course. That should include accounting and bookeeping for the business, bidding for HDB hawker centre stalls, ordering, etc. There are so many older singaporeans that have been laid off, and I am sure many can already cook, unlike the newer generation. If they have a place they can go to to learn the old style cooking coupled with their own cooking skills, we can revive the real singapore food culture again. They will be self employed instead of sending out 1000 resumes at age 45 to employers.

Already, so many foods are lost and hard to find. Indian Mee Siam, Satay Beehoon, etc. are just some of the dishes that are disappearing or gone. They would be doing all singaporeans a great favour if it can be brought back.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hong Lim Food ctr ground floor, store by the stairwell. Has been there for decades.

Fish hor fun.

KNN !!

kopirui

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes, wok eh, plus the blackish edges of the hot fun too...nowadays the hor fun, taste like....? cannot describe them. We are not the only people facing this problem actually...you go KL....the CHINESE food, in the popular eating places, like Petaling Street Area & Jalan Alor Area....the CHINESE food taste like Myanmar cooking & you are right....for they have employed the Myanmar people, not only cooking the food, but taking orders & serving you...

You think, it is bad here...try KL

YOU TOO.WAITING TO BE ASS FUCKED BY KRAFTY FOR SUPPPORTING Narong

meshuggah78

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last time I swear by this hor fun in Redhill market but sadly it's closed now.

Few yrs ago I tried hor fun at fatty restaurant near Singapore badminton Ctr pleasantly surprised it's the old school type not sure if still like that today.

I concur totally.. Fatty wen the best. Old school Horfun with pig liver, Caixim... Etc.. I dunno where they moved to. I tried the fatty wen at Chinatown but it's totally not the same..

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Already, so many foods are lost and hard to find. Indian Mee Siam, Satay Beehoon, etc. are just some of the dishes that are disappearing or gone. They would be doing all singaporeans a great favour if it can be brought back.

columbarium and charred hor fun will make a good match. :wink:

Poomer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Teck Hin Fried Hor Fun @ Ghim Moh market.

I don't like to eat noodles, but I was there one evening, and not many stalls were open, and there was a queue here. Wanted to go for the rice but they ran out, so I decided to try the hor fun and had absolutely no regrets.

Funny thing is I realise most Zhi cha will cook the noodle and the ingredients together. There they cook it separately, the sauce and ingredients already prepared when I reached but the frying of the noodle on the spot. Darn good.

I would like to add that they are the only stall I know mainly selling Hor Fun as their shop name suggests.

And recommended by Leslie Tay, http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapore/teck_hin_fried_hor_fun/review/3dbf0100/

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Teck Hin Fried Hor Fun @ Ghim Moh market.

I don't like to eat noodles, but I was there one evening, and not many stalls were open, and there was a queue here. Wanted to go for the rice but they ran out, so I decided to try the hor fun and had absolutely no regrets.

Funny thing is I realise most Zhi cha will cook the noodle and the ingredients together. There they cook it separately, the sauce and ingredients already prepared when I reached but the frying of the noodle on the spot. Darn good.

I would like to add that they are the only stall I know mainly selling Hor Fun as their shop name suggests.

And recommended by Leslie Tay, http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapore/teck_hin_fried_hor_fun/review/3dbf0100/

Went to the URL to read the review & saw "Review for (Closed) Teck Hin Fried Hor Fun".

Saw the "Closed" does it mean that the stall is closed forever:confused:

Poomer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Went to the URL to read the review & saw "Review for (Closed) Teck Hin Fried Hor Fun".

Saw the "Closed" does it mean that the stall is closed forever:confused:

No idea man, what does the closed mean, I ate it half a year ago. I will update here if I go down again, but not soon ba.

Anyone can check it out? I went down around 7pm, they were serving the last few customers alr. So you can try before that.

Last edited:

danielsim

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most of the hawker and eateries out there now are being operated by PRCs or Peenoise. You can hardly find authentic local food. What to do? SUCK IT UP