• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Nowadays Hor Fun got no standard

butoh6050

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ordered Hor fun last night. What a fucking disappointment.
I guess prc's are making hor fun now.

Those who are old enough will remember that there are prawns, squid, pork, pork liver, fish slice and choy sum in hor fun ages ago.

Our food has to be regulated. Any foreigner who wants to open a stall selling one of our favourites, must have lived here for at least 10 years and the dish he intends to make and sell must be approved by a panel of local chefs.
KNN !!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hor fun at tampines street 22 block 280 kopitiam is ok. at least, they add black sauce and fry the hor fun until it's caramelized before cooking with gravy. the roti prata at the same kopitiam is the best.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Ahh.. The ball-lessness of Sinkies even affect hor fan.. How powerful that is.. Sinkie Karma even affect food.

KNNBNCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is a place that sells fish soup....fish head steamboat and hor fun along Tan Quee Lam street. I find the hor fun quite good there.

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Those old school hor funs hard to find liao. Nowadays the lan jiao hor fun, no sliced fish.. give fish cakes, some by default no squid liao, 2 pc of prawn and 3 piece of pork with loads of starch thrown in. The dark soya sauce they use are so diluted that no matter how long they fry, there wont be any caramelisation on the hor fun.

The fried rice also another one, no more small shrimps, all use crabstick cut till so small, you wonder how they do it... sigh.. progress?

ChewCheng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Simple. Just dun eat from them.

If you continue to eat, it means the food is acceptable and they will try to give less or lower quality to increase profit.

I will never go back even if the eatery is just 2 mins walk from my house when the food is not up to mark. I rather drive for another 20mins to have decent food.

We eat to enjoy the process, why pay and eat stuff that makes us unhappy?

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
There was a stall I used to eat from their days in Tiong bahru and later Chinatown. The boss decided to retire after fracturing his arm 3years ago. From then on, I seldom eat hor fun cause the standard everywhere simple is not up to mark.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i stopped eating this overpriced junk long ago..............taste bad and little ingredients...........now $4 some more

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The old food masters of yesteryear has either retired or are dead. Their children did not take-over because of the long tedious hours and because they can make a better living by becoming doctors, bankers and etc.

I am shock by the standard of beef noodles nowadays. They even put kangkong as broth ! Gosh !:o

JOKERCHEW

Alfrescian
Loyal

Those who are old enough will remember that there are prawns, squid, pork, pork liver, fish slice and choy sum in hor fun ages ago.

Our food has to be regulated. Any foreigner who wants to open a stall selling one of our favourites, must have lived here for at least 10 years and the dish he intends to make and sell must be approved by a panel of local chefs.
KNN !!

I think in Penang, they only allow their locals to sell local food.
here, horfun is Dead.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Most important factor for Hor Fun is wok hei

yes, wok eh, plus the blackish edges of the hot fun too...nowadays the hor fun, taste like....? cannot describe them. We are not the only people facing this problem actually...you go KL....the CHINESE food, in the popular eating places, like Petaling Street Area & Jalan Alor Area....the CHINESE food taste like Myanmar cooking & you are right....for they have employed the Myanmar people, not only cooking the food, but taking orders & serving you...

You think, it is bad here...try KL

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The old food masters of yesteryear has either retired or are dead. Their children did not take-over because of the long tedious hours and because they can make a better living by becoming doctors, bankers and etc.

I am shock by the standard of beef noodles nowadays. They even put kangkong as broth ! Gosh !:o

What become doctors? they become ministars, paper generals...evil servants ( oops! civil servants, sorry, typo)....

Oakenfold

Alfrescian
Loyal

KNN !!

you are spot on.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Last time I swear by this hor fun in Redhill market but sadly it's closed now.

Few yrs ago I tried hor fun at fatty restaurant near Singapore badminton Ctr pleasantly surprised it's the old school type not sure if still like that today.