• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Moon is not always rounder in other countries

natas

Alfrescian
Loyal
A lot of Singaporeans wanted to migrate to other countries for various reasons.

Is another country better place to live in?

Let discuss abt this.

I myself wanted to migrate to Thailand but that was when I'm getting old and have save enough money, or out of sudden I have good business opportunity in Thailand.

The job market is not favorable to foreigner. The salary is low and most company only employ local.

The safety is also a concern in Thailand.

The education is not great, definitely I won't want my kid to study there.

It is difficult to get a PR visa

I stayed in Perth for a year and that was few years back.

The cost of living is high.

I still find that we are labelled Chinese pig.

1 thing I like about Aust, is they enjoy family life more which Asian lack of.

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, it is up to the individual to decide whether or not to migrate. A lot of factors not just whether or not another country is better to live in? I'm sure bros who live aboard will have some comments on this issue. In the mean time it just me and my point of view.:p

Personally, if i can afford i might just as well stay put in sg because all these years had been used to it unless certain unforseen circumstances which will factor me to make a drastic change of opinion about this country.:wink:

vincent_tan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is another country better place to live in? it really depend on what you are looking for. Sex, relax, retired, culture, education and so on. Personally I would chose to go thailand but not to migrate but more of working there 2-3 years when I am still young and have energy to bonk.

When I am older, probably I would chose to go Australia because of the slow moving pace there suitable for relax.

monkey4

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of my friend told me this -

Never decide in haste to migrate to another country just becos sillypore sucks..... i hated sillypore too myself.... but to consider trying out say 6 mths in the intended country that u wanted to migrate to first. This is becos most of the time.... why we like a particular country could be becos we went there b4 as tourist... not as a resident.... so the novelty may run out... for eg... u can last 10 days without TV programmes that u can understand but can u do so in the long run...

In short, try out the country first for 6 mths... the investment is worth it...b4 u decide to uproot and settle over to a new country..

That is my view

teraterm55

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmmm actually i can prove.. Moon when viewed in Australia. especially during summer months is definately ROUNDER than in SINGAPORE.

because of the AIR QUALITY and less light polution and less cloud to block the view.. the moon looks rounder there.

not only that.. the beautifull stars. the peaceful breeze and the feeling of being with nature... its really something that people who live in the city cant understand until you have felt it.

sir cum-a-lot

Alfrescian
Loyal
some may say "grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence", or as TS says, "moon is not always rounder in other countries". all these issues is for the migrants themselves to think about.

if somebody has better prospects or career path overseas, and he sees the advantages that his family can get while being there, then maybe he should not look back. but if he's wanting to migrate at the spur of the moment, no calculations, no contingencies, then it is obviously a very bad move.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A lot of Singaporeans wanted to migrate to other countries for various reasons.

Is another country better place to live in?

Let discuss abt this.

I myself wanted to migrate to Thailand but that was when I'm getting old and have save enough money, or out of sudden I have good business opportunity in Thailand.

The job market is not favorable to foreigner. The salary is low and most company only employ local.

The safety is also a concern in Thailand.

The education is not great, definitely I won't want my kid to study there.

It is difficult to get a PR visa

I stayed in Perth for a year and that was few years back.

The cost of living is high.

I still find that we are labelled Chinese pig.

1 thing I like about Aust, is they enjoy family life more which Asian lack of.

How round the Moon also depends on how you view it.
We can compare Moons until the Sun comes out ... but you will find the Moon is roundest at the place where yo are most comfortable with ... For many, it is the birth country, esp as they grow older.

Pity your Perth experience. There are always racist people around. It takes a lot of guts to move to another country. If you can't take setbacks, just stay in your own country. Nobody ask our forefathers to leave China/India... etc for Singapore ... they took setbacks in their strife, and thrived.

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
some may say "grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence", or as TS says, "moon is not always rounder in other countries". all these issues is for the migrants themselves to think about.

if somebody has better prospects or career path overseas, and he sees the advantages that his family can get while being there, then maybe he should not look back. but if he's wanting to migrate at the spur of the moment, no calculations, no contingencies, then it is obviously a very bad move.
a snr person once shared an analogy with me, asking if i knew y we often see beggars begging at cross rds. my obvious answer was... due to heavier traffic floor, the higher the chance of reaping more sympathy donations.

he asked again if i knew how they ended up there. my reply; they walked/ crawled there.

he laughed n explained, that we encounter many cross roads in life, each we'd never know where the road leads, n the only way to know, is to journey/voyage... brave the trials/barriers as they come along the way.

if a coward was to turn back each time he faced a problem, he goes back to the same starting point (at the cross rd), if he repeats the same retreat each time he encounters a barrier, he ends up at the cross rd once more. over time, he'd end up nowhere, bt the same spot... he ends up becoming the spot.

in other words, once u've set your minds on something... go ahead, no turning back.

sir cum-a-lot

Alfrescian
Loyal
............ if a coward was to turn back each time he faced a problem, he goes back to the same starting point (at the cross rd), if he repeats the same retreat each time he encounters a barrier, he ends up at the cross rd once more. over time, he'd end up nowhere, bt the same spot... he ends up becoming the spot.

in other words, once u've set your minds on something... go ahead, no turning back.
haha, nice 1 mate. well, there's no turning back for me.

natas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Different ppl different views. We can't control wat others think. But we can control our own life. Think carefully before committing to it. :biggrin: It will be good to stay in the country for months to experience the life there.

wbtym

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'ved lived in Perth myself for 3 years during my Uni days and although I will strongly agree it is a good place to retire, it is not a place I want to spend my life through my 30s-40s. And yes, racism still exists in smaller suburbs and can you imagine you drive to a mall at 5.30pm and it's already closed?
Singapore does have alot of merits. Cheap hawker food, low tax rate, excellent public transport system, lots of night life, free of natural disasters, world class this and that etc... National Day coming soon. Let's celebrate.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I'ved lived in Perth myself for 3 years during my Uni days and although I will strongly agree it is a good place to retire, it is not a place I want to spend my life through my 30s-40s. And yes, racism still exists in smaller suburbs and can you imagine you drive to a mall at 5.30pm and it's already closed?

Why on earth would you want to drive to a mall at 5.30pm. Surely there are much better things to do in such a large expanse of land.:wink:

natas

Alfrescian
Loyal

I stayed in Perth for a yr too. Langtree, tudor still there? It has been 10 yr since my last visit to perth. I guess burstwood still earning strong. :biggrin:

I used to stay in Bentley area. My new car was smashed on the first day I purchased. My neighbour room was broke in while they were watch TV. :biggrin: We whacked Oz guys there. Carried car to another location. Racing down highway. High on drinks in Xcape. Visit sunday market to top up my instant noodles in case I spent all my pocket money..... :biggrin: Those were the good old days.

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
It depends on what you want and what are your tolerance standards. Just read a forum where pple in Vancouver and Toronto were dissing each other. You can have one guy saying "vancouver's buildings are shit", "full of rude asians", "lots of crime".

And then the next guy will say "everyone is nice", "i remember every day i spend there", "most beautiful city on earth".

I also know of many sinkees who will not migrate and don't like living in western countries. They actually DON'T like the idea of balanced lifestyle and knocking off at 4pm! I WANT to work till 8PM!

williamsF1

Alfrescian
Loyal
sometimes i really envy some of my friends who settled overseas. they all say that life has problems from day to day, but as long as life is not so harsh, everyday is a good day. the moon is not be rounder or brighter, but maybe its just that the sky is clearer.

guy2100

Alfrescian
Loyal
These are the reasons people migrate;
1)Economic
2)Lifestyle
3)More equal playing field
4)Live in a real "country"
5)Curiosity

Any country that can fulfill these 5 criteria can definitely attract the typical Singaporean migrants.

Industrious

One of my friend told me this -

Never decide in haste to migrate to another country just becos sillypore sucks..... i hated sillypore too myself.... but to consider trying out say 6 mths in the intended country that u wanted to migrate to first. This is becos most of the time.... why we like a particular country could be becos we went there b4 as tourist... not as a resident.... so the novelty may run out... for eg... u can last 10 days without TV programmes that u can understand but can u do so in the long run...

In short, try out the country first for 6 mths... the investment is worth it...b4 u decide to uproot and settle over to a new country..

That is my view

It's true...I'd spent and accumulated xx weeks during my various recce trips. Basically living in a rented apartment in the suburbs, cooked my own meals, did laundry, took public transport, shop in discount stores, etc. I discounted the experience during my years of studying since it's not a true reflection.

It does provide a much accurate picture of what's in store but the crunch time comes when you're finally set in place.

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
a lot of people did not do their homeworks/researchs.
give up their citzenship and migrate.
later found out that they are just 2nd class citizen over at some places.