• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Of Niches and Seng Kang West

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: MP Lam Par: URA and HDB provided me with false information!

HK is not like Singapore
How is it that when the ultimate capitalist land on earth ( HK) can stipulate how a winner of a land tender must control its pricing but when Singapore sold it’s last major piece of land for a private hospital at Novena ( now called Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital-) not to be confused with Mount Elizabeth Hospital ( not Novena)) that Parkway has a free hand in deciding to have only single-room suites ( including one $17000 per night suite) and is allowed to charge whatever it deems fit. I do not presume it is high but I “assume” it is ( pun unintended) ? Why? Click here. A very senior Parkway official even hosted me for a meal ( over cheap lunch) after my letter was published by the Straits Times, and explained why Parkway had some assumptions ( my lips are sealed) which led them to pay the government Sg $1.25 billion (for the land) and why they have only single rooms ( to earn money duh!) and dispensed with any tokenistic multi-bed suites.

Sale of our Crown Jewel
The string gets longer when those of my vintage remember that Raffles Hotel ( together with the doorman) was once one of Singapore’s most recognizable icon. It was sold to a foreign private equity group aptly named “Colony Capital” and was then kicked around like the football we so loved to watch and this ex-icon is now owned by Qatar. Click here.

Then of course there are the power stations sold to China.

Someone said ( or perhaps it is a song) that Money makes the world go round…http://nofearsingapore.blogspot.sg/2015/01/sengkang-columbarium-model-scm-is-this.html

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: MP Lam Par: URA and HDB provided me with false information!

Eternal Pure Land, the private company which bid for the land, had intended to build a for-profit temple-cum-columbarium on the site and their tender price, which was $1.2 million above the 2nd highest bidder, reflected this original intention.

For the tender to have been accepted in the first place, it must have stated its intentions, so why wasn’t HDB aware of it until residents made a lot of noise?

Furthermore, why is HDB simply allowed to break contract and alter its terms when and when it pleases? This will ultimately have an effect on the company which it had already promised the land to and which has been proceeding under the assumption that it could build the columbarium as it had originally intended.

From the company’s perspective, their plans have gone down the drain. At the same time, if the tender price needs to be lowered because of the fact that they are not going to build commercial services there, then the other religious organisations that bid for the land would also need to be re-considered.

If HDB ends up having to pay damages to Eternal Pure Land, this will come out of the pockets of taxpayers in the end. It seems that HDB’s failure to do its due diligence has caused so much trouble and stress and is likely to even cost taxpayers money.

What do you think?

Now that National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan has promised in Parliament that they will not be building a commercial columbarium at Fernvale Lea, many residents of the new BTO project are relieved.

Nevertheless, some were still uncomfortable with the idea that any Chinese Temple built in the area instead may still have columbarium services which are not “for-profit”.

The residents had become outraged after they found out that an area marked as a site for a Chinese Temple in the BTO brochure was awarded to a private company with no religious links in order to build a columbarium.

The residents created a petition and made enough noise for their grievances to be heard and eventually got their way after their MP and even Minister Khaw Boon Wan heard their concerns.

PAP MP Lam Pin Min had earlier sided with the company awarded the land and the URA which said that it was mentioned in the fine print of the BTO brochure that a columbarium may be built. Now, he hopes the residents are happy with the decision: "With this development, residents' fears should be allayed and there will not be a need to return the flats to HDB," he said.

Currently, the Government is in talks with winning bidder for the land, Eternal Pure Land, to ensure that the land is used for a Chinese temple.

While it is good that the government has chosen to listen to the many complaints and concerns of residents, another issue which now comes to light is the fact that the government appears to have agreed to break a contract which it already awarded to Eternal Pure Land.

http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?196914-Of-Niches-and-Seng-Kang-West/page34