• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Guess the Race: Yoga in the Snow at -30ºC!

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Let's wait for the China-bashers from the PAP IB (Jar Jar & his clones) to hijack this lifestyle thread. :biggrin:

Xie Xiaoming, 26-year-old owner of a yoga club, practises yoga near trees covered in frost on the snow-covered banks of the Songhua River in Jilin, Jilin province, China, in -30ºC temperature. Photos taken on 17 Dec 2014
(Reuters)

114575197.jpg

114575215.jpg

114575193.jpg

114575219.jpg

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As long as there is no wind, standing outdoor with temperatures of -30C is not that difficult. You have to watch out for the wind because it increases the wind chill factor & the wind becomes painful if it blows at your face. You also have to watch your step because it can be slippery with the ice & snow.

I use to run indoors when it was snowing & freezing outdoors. After my run I would often go outdoors in my T-shirt & shorts to cool down. :smile:

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As long as there is no wind, standing outdoor with temperatures of -30C is not that difficult.

I don't have the wind chill factor for that day in Jilin, but it's still cold, with frost bite a constant risk for bare skin. Look at the photographers:

a41f726719b215fef8ae0a.jpg

a41f726719b215fef8ae07.jpg

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This place not so cold, in central China.

eca86bd9dcd8145e7efa08.jpg

A young woman practices yoga in snow-covered Xiangshan Park in Huaibei city, Anhui province on Feb 6, 2014. She was one of two women doing yoga outdoors, attracting many onlookers. [Photo/icpress.cn]

eca86bd9dcd8145e7ef806.jpg

Two young women practice yoga in snow-covered Xiangshan Park in Huaibei city, Anhui province on Feb 6, 2014, attracting many onlookers. [Photo/icpress.cn]

eca86bd9dcd8145e7ef907.jpg

eca86bd9dcd8145e7ef605.jpg

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't have the wind chill factor for that day in Jilin, but it's still cold, with frost bite a constant risk for bare skin. Look at the photographers:

a41f726719b215fef8ae0a.jpg

a41f726719b215fef8ae07.jpg

-30 C is of course nothing to sneeze at but if you have done a proper warmed up or have been running around it is do able. A more difficult feat is the polar bear swim because when you are wet you are actually losing more body heat than doing yoga.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
holy fuck what boring news.

Anyone could do that indoors but do that outdoors and it attracts so many photographers.

extramarital

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
-30 C is of course nothing to sneeze at but if you have done a proper warmed up or have been running around it is do able. A more difficult feat is the polar bear swim because when you are wet you are actually losing more body heat than doing yoga.

Agree with you. Another way to warm up the body prior to going outside with temperature of -30 C is to drink a glass of wine or any alcoholic drink.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's well documented that the tibetan monks have been meditating in freezing temperatures for prolonged periods of time. It turns out they can regulate their body temperature through mind control to avoid freezing to death. Even the researchers from reputable western universities are baffled.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's well documented that the tibetan monks have been meditating in freezing temperatures for prolonged periods of time. It turns out they can regulate their body temperature through mind control to avoid freezing to death. Even the researchers from reputable western universities are baffled.

The Tibetan monks practise tumo. It is a technique not just for regulating body temperature, but for generating heat into the environment, causing any snow surrounding the body to melt. Novice monks are taught the technique, then asked sit out in the winter cold with a wet towel on their backs. Using tumo, they then have to dry the towel within the hour.

I personally have had some success with tumo myself using a visualization meditation technique..

Here's a report on a study conducted on tumo by an NUS team:

Meditation Allows Brain To Control Body Temperature, Say Scientists

Scientists report that the meditating brain can control core body temperature, a finding that could help in boosting immunity to fight infectious diseases or immunodeficiency.

David Tan | April 10, 2013 | Health

AsianScientist (Apr. 10, 2013) - Scientists report that the meditating brain can control core body temperature, a finding that could help in boosting immunity to fight infectious diseases or immunodeficiency.

A team of researchers led by Associate Professor Maria Kozhevnikov from the Department of Psychology at the National University of Singapore (NUS) studied Tibetan nuns practising a form of meditation known as g-tummo.

G-tummo meditation is believed by adherents to control “inner energy”. Tibetan practitioners consider g-tummo meditation as one of the most sacred spiritual practices in the region and monasteries maintaining g-tummo traditions are very rare, mostly located in the remote areas of eastern Tibet.

The scientists observed a unique ceremony in Tibet, where meditating nuns were able to raise their core body temperature and dry up wet sheets wrapped around their bodies in the cold Himalayan weather of minus 25 degree Celsius.

While g-tummo meditation practitioners have been studied before, previous results showed only increases in peripheral body temperature in the fingers and toes. Now, publishing in the journal PLOS ONE, the researchers document reliable core body temperature increases in the meditating Tibetan nuns.

Using electroencephalography (EEG) recordings and temperature measures, the team observed increases in core body temperature up to 38.3 degree Celsius. A second study was conducted with Western participants who used a breathing technique of the g-tummo meditative practice and they were also able to increase their core body temperature, within limits.

The findings from the study showed that specific aspects of the meditation techniques could be used by non-meditation practitioners to regulate their body temperature through breathing and mental imagery. The techniques could potentially allow practitioners to adapt to and function in cold environments, improve resistance to infections, boost cognitive performance by speeding up response time and reduce performance problems associated with decreased body temperature.

The two aspects of g-tummo meditation that lead to temperature increases were “vase breath” and concentrative visualization. “Vase breath” is a specific breathing technique that causes thermogenesis, the process of heat production. Concentrative visualization involves focusing on a mental imagery of flames along the spinal cord in order to prevent heat losses. Both techniques work in conjunction leading to elevated temperatures up to the moderate fever zone.

Assoc. Prof. Kozhevnikov explained, “Practicing vase breathing alone is a safe technique to regulate core body temperature in a normal range. The participants whom I taught this technique to were able to elevate their body temperature, within limits, and reported feeling more energised and focused. With further research, non-Tibetan meditators could use vase breathing to improve their health and regulate cognitive performance.”

The article can be found at: Kozhevnikov et al. (2013) Neurocognitive and Somatic Components of Temperature Increases during g-Tummo Meditation: Legend and Reality.

Read more from Asian Scientist Magazine at: http://www.asianscientist.com/2013/...ain-control-body-temperature-scientists-2013/

Last edited:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agree with you. Another way to warm up the body prior to going outside with temperature of -30 C is to drink a glass of wine or any alcoholic drink.

Actually drinking alcohol does not raise the core temperature of the body. It just makes you feel warm. I think to stay alive in the cold, you're better off drinking a cup of hot tea.