• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Winning back Aljunied is impossible

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With PAP's unscrupulous tactics anything is possible....remember how they brushed off the empty ballot boxes?

The only thing impossible is that old cock no longer can stand in the next erection.

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
which Singaporeans with the right sense of mind would want to switch from Why Pay with so many freebies to Pay and Pay until you bleed? :biggrin:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Make Victor Lye and co lose their deposit. :biggrin:

Agree.. Aljunied residents should give Victor and co a routing they will never forget.. If memory serves me right, PAP candidates since independence yet to lose a deposit in a GE.. I stand corrected on this.. If its true, make Victor and team the first PAP candidates to lose their deposits..

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agree.. Aljunied residents should give Victor and co a routing they will never forget.. If memory serves me right, PAP candidates since independence yet to lose a deposit in a GE.. I stand corrected on this.. If its true, make Victor and team the first PAP candidates to lose their deposits..

PAP has never lost a single deposit in Singapore. They did when they sent some candidates to Malaysia during the Merdeka years. Went into 3 corner fights with MCA and Gerakan (then in the opposition) and walked away empty. That's where DAP came from.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Losing deposit highly unlikely. But I expect WP to win by a bigger margin than in 2011. PAP knows it's a lost cause, hence they're sending in a suicide squad and focussing on not losing any more GRCs.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Based on past experience, an opposition MP gets better score in the second round unless bad publicity hits (in the case of Gombak and Nee Soon). That's because if an incumbent is voted out, the replacing newbie won't stand a chance. If the newbie wants a chance, wait till he isn't a newbie anymore.

JBJ 1981 51.9% 1984 56.8%

Chiam 1984 60.3% 1988 63.1%

LTK 1991 52.8% 1997 58.0%

LEGEND

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Based on past experience, an opposition MP gets better score in the second round unless bad publicity hits (in the case of Gombak and Nee Soon). That's because if an incumbent is voted out, the replacing newbie won't stand a chance. If the newbie wants a chance, wait till he isn't a newbie anymore.

JBJ 1981 51.9% 1984 56.8%

Chiam 1984 60.3% 1988 63.1%

LTK 1991 52.8% 1997 58.0%

These proved that the Oppositions are doing a much better job than PAPpies.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anything is possible just look at Potong Pasir

Potong Pasir was CST to lose. As late as 2009 Desmond was the party-endorsed successor to CST, but bad blood brewed between the two and the unpopular Lina Chiam was asked to stand in. Little wonder they lost.

On the other hand, LTK groomed YSL and meticulously handed over the reins to him over a period of time. Hence he could move over to Aljunied and yet have YSL win Hougang by a bigger margin than in 2006.

It's all about leadership and people management, which has always been CST's Achilles' heel, his popularity with residents notwithstanding.

LEGEND

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Potong Pasir was CST to lose. As late as 2009 Desmond was the party-endorsed successor to CST, but bad blood brewed between the two and the unpopular Lina Chiam was asked to stand in. Little wonder they lost.

On the other hand, LTK groomed YSL and meticulously handed over the reins to him over a period of time. Hence he could move over to Aljunied and yet have YSL win Hougang by a bigger margin than in 2006.

It's all about leadership and people management, which has always been CST's Achilles' heel, his popularity with residents notwithstanding.

Shouldn't it be as early as.... Not trying to funny. Just wanna improve my England... Correct me if I m wrong. :o

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/pap-activists-in/1532858.html

At least in 2016. One big reason - the PAP Aljunied lamb team is not united. They were a bunch of sacrificial lambs hobbled together with no experience in teamwork or leadership. With no $ to bind them like the other PAP MPs, they operate individually and disunitedly like the typical opposition parties.

Victor Lye is too flamboyant to be portrayed as a humble politician and uncharismatic to the rest to be a winning anchorman. Every media interview he accepts. The more you speak the more gaffes you make. With the other antics like taking photos with a pillar under renovation, the rest are beginning to see him as a liability.

The lawyer M Pillai likes to work quietly behind the scenes and dislikes the increasing flamboyancy of the team. Chua Eng Long, son of former minister Chua Sian Chin, sees himself as a more suitable team leader since he is a scion, and is not so because he joined in later. The other 2 are passive. Lee Hong Chuang has the benefit of working alone in Hougang and is not affected by team dynamics.

The end result will be a lacklustre and laggardly campaign. Lim Boon Heng cannot be the glue that holds them since he is a backend man.

When Pinky say that it is hard to find candidates for GE and the next PM. He is referring to those within the PAP as that is all he is looking at.

Not all civil servants are pro-PAP so he cannot get anyone within the service.

Their next best bet was the ass doctor who lose in Punggol East SMC. At that point we knew that PAP selection pool was pathetic.

PAP has lose its charm to attract talent

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Shouldn't it be as early as.... Not trying to funny. Just wanna improve my England... Correct me if I m wrong. :o

Good question, thanks. I wanted to say that it was a (relatively) last-minute change that saw DL being ousted from CST's inner circle, a scenario that has been repeated once too often with CST. Maybe I should have said: As late as 2009 Desmond was still the party-endorsed successor....

LEGEND

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good question, thanks. I wanted to say that it was a (relatively) last-minute change that saw DL being ousted from CST's inner circle, a scenario that has been repeated once too often with CST. Maybe I should have said: As late as 2009 Desmond was still the party-endorsed successor....

Thank you Sir! :smile:

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Actually no. For years he was trying to get his daughter Camilla Chiam to enter politics and succeed him one day. The reluctant Camilla gave it thoughts over a period of years by the time age caught up with Chiam she was still not ready to enter politics. Lina took the reigns instead.

DL being Chiam's successor is only DL's own thinking. It turned out not to be so that triggered his rebellion. No one would turn against his leader if he already the slated successor.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually no. For years he was trying to get his daughter Camilla Chiam to enter politics and succeed him one day. The reluctant Camilla gave it thoughts over a period of years by the time age caught up with Chiam she was still not ready to enter politics. Lina took the reigns instead.

DL being Chiam's successor is only DL's own thinking. It turned out not to be so that triggered his rebellion. No one would turn against his leader if he already the slated successor.

You obviously are privy to inside info not accessible to most of us. The party signals were quite clear (at least to outsiders) that DL would succeed CST, and as you say, DL himself thought so.

If what you say is true, then CST was more even irresponsible than I thought. Did he even introduce his daughter to his constituents and have her join him in his MPS?

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You obviously are privy to inside info not accessible to most of us. The party signals were quite clear (at least to outsiders) that DL would succeed CST, and as you say, DL himself thought so.

If what you say is true, then CST was more even irresponsible than I thought. Did he even introduce his daughter to his constituents and have her join him in his MPS?

That is one thing I can never understand about Chiam. Building a party requires much letting go while management at the same time.

That being said, Camilla a director in public communications is certainly capable. Grooming an oaf like DL would really be irresponsible. DL is groomed, but to be a strong second man and assistant to the leader Chiam appoints.

Camilla has been helping at the sidelines but such help is limited as she is clearly not interested. She wouldn't say a word to the media in anything related to politics but has been interviewed for her work in the hotel industry.