• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Man bequeathed CPF savings to 'goddaughter' instead of family

hokkien

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My PaperWednesday, Dec 03, 2014
20141203-lw-cpf.jpg
Mrs Saw, 61. Her husband, who died in June 2013, left his CPF savings to a 25-year-old woman from China.
0 0 0
Print
INSTEAD of leaving his Central Provident Fund (CPF) savings to his family, a man left it to a 25-year-old female friend from China, giving her $37,000.
His wife found out only after the man - whom she was married to for 34 years - died, Lianhe Wanbao reported yesterday.
The widow, who wanted to be known only as Mrs Saw, 61, tried to appeal to a court, pouring $30,000 of her savings into the effort. Not only did she lose the suit, but she now also has to pay $7,000 in court fees.
"It was really not worth it," lamented Mrs Saw.
The couple have a son and two daughters, all of whom are married. But things took a turn for the worse after Mr Saw committed suicide in June last year. Mrs Saw said she had stopped him from doing so on two occasions.
While clearing her late husband's belongings, she was shocked to find out that Mr Saw had, in 2011, arranged to have all his CPF savings given to the female friend.
Mr Saw also had a will, in which the Chinese national would get $150,000 from the sale of his home. A further $450,000 from the sale would be split between an old folks' home, a temple, his brother, friends and go towards paying off his credit card and housing debts.
The remaining sale proceeds were to go to his immediate family, but the home is expected to sell for only $600,000, so his family may not get anything.
Mrs Saw said her husband changed his will in 2012 to redistribute funds initially set aside for his family.
In tears, she told Wanbao: "I knew he liked to go out to drink and have fun, but I always thought he was just flirting around, and would still be focused on the family. But little did I know that he would make such a decision."
She added that she could not comprehend why her husband made such a move.
To safeguard her own interests as his wife and with support from her children, Mrs Saw used her savings to hire a lawyer to appeal to the court.
"After my husband's business failed in 1986, he didn't have a job. Since then, I've carried the burden of being the family's breadwinner and brought up our children. How could he quietly leave his money to a stranger and none for me?" said Mrs Saw.
The widow said that she had never met the Chinese national. The woman, whom her husband met at a bar in 2009, is from China's Liaoning province and works as a service staff member at Marina Bay Sands, she said.
During mediation, Mrs Saw said that the woman reiterated that she and Mr Saw were just friends and did not have an intimate relationship.
Mrs Saw said that in her husband's beneficiary nomination form for his CPF savings, his relationship with the woman from China is listed as "goddaughter".
She raised doubts over this as Mr Saw initially wrote that the woman was his "granddaughter", before changing it to "goddaughter". "One can imagine that when he was making the arrangements, he was not thinking clearly," claimed Mrs Saw.
But the court decided that Mr Saw and the Chinese national had maintained a good relationship - regardless of whether the woman was his "goddaughter" or mistress.
As there was insufficient evidence to determine Mr Saw's state of mind when nominating the Chinese national as his beneficiary, the judge did not rule in Mrs Saw's favour.
- See more at: http://news.asiaone.com/news/singap...ddaughter-instead-family#sthash.KxGKaJW9.dpuf

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the pap cannot be faulted for sinkies' stupidity. in this case, even the minimum sum protection from sinkies' own follies cannot prevent a deceased uncle from bequeathing his cpf savings to a tiong abalone. :rolleyes:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
the pap cannot be faulted for sinkies' stupidity. in this case, even the minimum sum protection from sinkies' own follies cannot prevent a deceased uncle from bequeathing his cpf savings to a tiong abalone. :rolleyes:

Without the minimum sum scheme, the money would have ended up with his "goddaughter" even earlier.

Winner

Alfrescian
Loyal
To my believe, Mrs Saw did not treat Her husband well, could have force him to commit suicide (may be mental torture him everyday). Most Singkies wife do not treat their husband well. But it is to unfair that leave nothing their children.

My PaperWednesday, Dec 03, 2014
20141203-lw-cpf.jpg
Mrs Saw, 61. Her husband, who died in June 2013, left his CPF savings to a 25-year-old woman from China.
0 0 0
Print
INSTEAD of leaving his Central Provident Fund (CPF) savings to his family, a man left it to a 25-year-old female friend from China, giving her $37,000.
His wife found out only after the man - whom she was married to for 34 years - died, Lianhe Wanbao reported yesterday.
The widow, who wanted to be known only as Mrs Saw, 61, tried to appeal to a court, pouring $30,000 of her savings into the effort. Not only did she lose the suit, but she now also has to pay $7,000 in court fees.
"It was really not worth it," lamented Mrs Saw.
The couple have a son and two daughters, all of whom are married. But things took a turn for the worse after Mr Saw committed suicide in June last year. Mrs Saw said she had stopped him from doing so on two occasions.
While clearing her late husband's belongings, she was shocked to find out that Mr Saw had, in 2011, arranged to have all his CPF savings given to the female friend.
Mr Saw also had a will, in which the Chinese national would get $150,000 from the sale of his home. A further $450,000 from the sale would be split between an old folks' home, a temple, his brother, friends and go towards paying off his credit card and housing debts.
The remaining sale proceeds were to go to his immediate family, but the home is expected to sell for only $600,000, so his family may not get anything.
Mrs Saw said her husband changed his will in 2012 to redistribute funds initially set aside for his family.
In tears, she told Wanbao: "I knew he liked to go out to drink and have fun, but I always thought he was just flirting around, and would still be focused on the family. But little did I know that he would make such a decision."
She added that she could not comprehend why her husband made such a move.
To safeguard her own interests as his wife and with support from her children, Mrs Saw used her savings to hire a lawyer to appeal to the court.
"After my husband's business failed in 1986, he didn't have a job. Since then, I've carried the burden of being the family's breadwinner and brought up our children. How could he quietly leave his money to a stranger and none for me?" said Mrs Saw.
The widow said that she had never met the Chinese national. The woman, whom her husband met at a bar in 2009, is from China's Liaoning province and works as a service staff member at Marina Bay Sands, she said.
During mediation, Mrs Saw said that the woman reiterated that she and Mr Saw were just friends and did not have an intimate relationship.
Mrs Saw said that in her husband's beneficiary nomination form for his CPF savings, his relationship with the woman from China is listed as "goddaughter".
She raised doubts over this as Mr Saw initially wrote that the woman was his "granddaughter", before changing it to "goddaughter". "One can imagine that when he was making the arrangements, he was not thinking clearly," claimed Mrs Saw.
But the court decided that Mr Saw and the Chinese national had maintained a good relationship - regardless of whether the woman was his "goddaughter" or mistress.
As there was insufficient evidence to determine Mr Saw's state of mind when nominating the Chinese national as his beneficiary, the judge did not rule in Mrs Saw's favour.
- See more at: http://news.asiaone.com/news/singap...ddaughter-instead-family#sthash.KxGKaJW9.dpuf

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
To my believe, Mrs Saw did not treat Her husband well, could have force him to commit suicide (may be mental torture him everyday). Most Singkies wife do not treat their husband well. But it is to unfair that leave nothing their children.

Perhaps he found that the children were not his.

parrardee

Alfrescian
Loyal
With this type of news soon the government will introduce another saving component called 'Stupid Sinkie Sum '

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Can we blame the PAP's Womens Charter for creating an uneven playing field in the relationships between men & women:confused:

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the story could be fake lah...........

anyway, proceeds from the house will be shared between the spouses mah..............don't tell me the wife got no share in the house at all?

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

I agree with your POV. Tried committing suicide, cut out the whole family from his money, including the house, says a lot.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the story could be fake lah...........

anyway, proceeds from the house will be shared between the spouses mah..............don't tell me the wife got no share in the house at all?
Maybe the wife is not a "joint-tenancy", just "tenancy-in-common" and her husband had made full payment for the flat alone. So the flat will not go to her automatically.

jw5

Loyal
The amount the widow poured into her effort (30K) + the court fees (7K) happens to be the same amount the man left his female friend (37K). :biggrin:

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The amount the widow poured into her effort (30K) + the court fees (7K) happens to be the same amount the man left his female friend (37K). :biggrin:
Ah Soh do such silly thing because of "baey song". So she was willing to gain nothing just to deprive the other party of the sum. The Lawyer is the real evil one.

uglyloser

Alfrescian
Loyal
The man's actions showed he was unhappy with his wife. However, this does not mean the wife is at fault. There are unreasonable people who get angry even though they are in the wrong.

Family disputes are complicated, we should not make groundless speculations.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
The wife must have pissed off the useless husband. But really damn xia suay to only have $37000 in cpf since he is not a business owner.

micromachine

Lieutenant General
Loyal
This man chooses to place his money where his dick is, and it happens his dick is in the mouth of an ATB. Too bad for the wife.

Sinkies

Alfrescian
Loyal
... Mrs Saw said she had stopped him from doing so on two occasions.
[/url]

If she found the new will, she should have destroyed it...why she so stupid leh?