• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore's tuition industry is now worth more than a billion dollars.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore's tuition industry is now worth more than a billion dollars.

The latest Household Expenditure Survey found that families spent $1.1 billion a year on tuition - almost double the $650 million spent a decade ago and a third more than the $820 million spent just five years ago.

The Department of Statistics, which polled more than 11,000 households between October 2012 and September last year, released the latest survey in September.

The average household spending on tuition rose from $54.70 a month 10 years ago, to $79.90 in the latest survey.

The department told The Sunday Times that along with spending more, there were also more households in the latest study - 1.2 million compared with 993,000 a decade ago.

Associate Professor Jason Tan of the National Institute of Education noted that tuition is no longer meant only to help weak or failing students pass their exams.

"Tuition has morphed into this huge industry to keep one's child ahead of the rest," said Prof Tan, who is doing a study on the perception of tuition. "Many tutors teach ahead of the school curriculum, so that the child has a competitive edge. Even students in the Gifted Education Programme have tuition."

He pointed to tuition programmes that have sprouted up to cater to students of varying abilities and for different purposes. These include classes to help pupils get into the Gifted Education Programme and courses to prepare students for entrance tests and interviews for the Direct School Admission scheme, which allows schools to accept students not just based on academic ability, but also on their talent in sports and the arts.

Given the growing size of the tuition industry and the numerous players ranging from fast-growing chains of tuition centres to one-man operations, the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore has begun auditing tuition centre bosses and private tutors. It has found under-declaration of income to be a "common problem".

A growing number of tuition agencies attest to Singapore's ever- expanding demand for tuition.
There are 850 tuition centres and enrichment centres registered with the Education Ministry now, up from 800 last year and about 700 in 2012.

And some of these centres have expanded into chains.

Mind Stretcher Learning Centre, for example, grew to have 21 branches in just 12 years and now has at least 10,000 students, said co-founder Alvin Kuek.

He said the amount spent on tuition has grown in the past decade as tutors are also commanding higher salaries now - up to 50 per cent more - given the intense competition in the market for tutors. Hence, fees have gone up.

Mind Stretcher charges an average of $150 a month for group tuition in one primary school subject.

This is up from about $90 when the centre was started 12 years ago.

Manager Eddy Tan, 50, spends $1,800 per month on tuition for his three children, aged between 11 and 16.

He said: "My children asked for tuition as they felt they could not catch up in school. They said their teachers teach too fast.
"Everyone I see has tuition. So if you don't give your children tuition, they may lose out. It's the kiasu mentality."

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
$25,000 for 360 hours not including lodging and food, you go do the maths, it's worth fucking zillions what billion?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is a fact, private tuition is big bucks in Sg. Last year I interviewed a guy who applied for a sales engineer's position in my company. I noticed he drove a "fancy" car and parked it in my company's premises, so I asked him how much he is currently making per annum and what is he working as. He mentioned the amount (over 100k), and worked as a private tutor. I politely told him he is very comfortable where he is now, why does he wish to switch? He said he wanted to try something "different." I told him we'd call him back if we find him suitable. We didn't. He was beyond our budget.

Singaporeans have lots of money to spend. I suppose people will not think twice if it is for the betterment of their or their children's lives.

Cheers!

retardface

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think almost half of this billion dollars amount is spent by my neighbour on tuition for their 4 children. They got tuition in almost every subject and got enrichment classess too.

danielsim

Alfrescian
Loyal
All the Kiasu parents will always look for ways and methods to outdo the competition. So tough to even be a kid nowadays

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Indeed. Selling snake oil and false hopes to kiasu Sinkie parents.

Some of the kids whom I see are also very poor thing, basically their weekends get burnt with tuition classes and other 'enrichment' classes.

Study so hard and spend so much money for what? Good employment is not guaranteed in the future. :wink:

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Singaporeans have lots of money to spend. I suppose people will not think twice if it is for the betterment of their or their children's lives.

Cheers!
It is not always true that parents have alot of money to spend. The real truth is if the kid is not extremely bright, he/she will never be able to cope without tuition. Rich people engage rich tutors that charge $70 per hour (group tuition some more). Poor people attend tuition above hdb shophouses for about $240 per monh. Both groups need tuition because our schools are not teaching. Don't ever believe fairy tales that we have many helpful teachers who will stay back to give one to one coaching. More like hitting lottery if you ever meet one. Not all teachers fault, the system and parents are major culprits.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this can only mean 2 things,sinkaporeans are daft and stupid,its costing more and more money just to keep them on the same level and pass the retarded education system in singapore.all the money in the world isnt going to make sinkies any smarter.

or two:with so much tutoring,our sinkies are going to be geniuses soon,pretty soon we would be clinching nobel prizes and winning pulitzer prizes and discovering new way to compress 10 million people into 600 sqkm.

im going with number one.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is good to know that the PAP has created a huge domestic market for enterprising singaporeans to tap into. Well done i say!

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All the Kiasu parents will always look for ways and methods to outdo the competition. So tough to even be a kid nowadays

thats the problem with sinkies,they cannot stand losing.they cannot accept the fact that maybe their genes and themselves are not as good as they think they are.so instead coming up with practical ways to solve problems and get ahead in life,they all try all kinds of bullshit and ways to pretend they are one of the "elites" or more sophisticated and bourgeios "educated".end up singapore is the land of half fuck "scholars" dummy peasants trying to pretend they are intellectuals.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this can only mean 2 things,sinkaporeans are daft and stupid,its costing more and more money just to keep them on the same level and pass the retarded education system in singapore.all the money in the world isnt going to make sinkies any smarter.

or two:with so much tutoring,our sinkies are going to be geniuses soon,pretty soon we would be clinching nobel prizes and winning pulitzer prizes and discovering new way to compress 10 million people into 600 sqkm.

im going with number one.
The kids are not stupid. They are just lazy and do not know how to manage their time. Parents outsource their duty of parenting to tutors, to make their kids do homewoks. The kids take advantage of tutor to solve homeworks. School depends on tutors for kids to submit homeworks on time.

Tutors are indeed important. Without him/her 3 groups of people will be in trouble. That is why I said that the fault lies with the parents (for failing to teach their kds to manage their life) and the system for encouraging people to be lazy , going for shortcuts.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The kids are not stupid. They are just lazy and do not know how to manage their time. Parents outsource their duty of parenting to tutors, to make their kids do homewoks. The kids take advantage of tutor to solve homeworks. School depends on tutors for kids to submit homeworks on time.

Tutors are indeed important. Without him/her 3 groups of people will be in trouble. That is why I said that the fault lies with the parents (for failing to teach their kds to manage their life) and the system for encouraging people to be lazy , going for shortcuts.

so u telling me the tuition industry has expanded from 600 million to 1.1 billion within 10 years because sinkie kids are growing exponentially lazy?and kids spend all their lives in school and extracurricular remedial and tuition centers because they are lazy?so in ten years time sinkie kids will be forced to have tuition in the mother's womb because they are lazing muthafarkers when they get out?

then i wonder what australia is like,australia is like land of the lazy,

lemme tell u this aussies may be lazy sonsabytches but they sure as hell aint stupid like sinkies.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The rise in tuition coincides with the period when teachers started to be evaluated on the stacked model popularized by General Electric and Microsoft. That happened about 10 years ago. Teachers were ranked against their fellow peers. Ideally, this method should weed out underperforming teachers and reward the better teachers. But what happened was that more teachers started to pay attention to their CCAs and other high-profile duties, while neglecting teaching. My friends in the various schools tell me that teaching well is no longer seen as an asset. Doing well in CCA and other non-teaching duties are.

If teachers anyhow teach, students can always find tuition. If students still score As, teacher can claim the credit and get promoted. But if teacher neglects CCA and other school work, then who will do all these things?

Hence, the more a teacher does for the students, the more the students will need tuition. Nowadays, doing CCA well is not enough. Still must plan overseas trips for students. Every year must always up one level. Your child fail in school, find tutor lor. Schools, like many civil service departments, all become wayang king.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The rise in tuition coincides with the period when teachers started to be evaluated on the stacked model popularized by General Electric and Microsoft. That happened about 10 years ago. Teachers were ranked against their fellow peers. Ideally, this method should weed out underperforming teachers and reward the better teachers. But what happened was that more teachers started to pay attention to their CCAs and other high-profile duties, while neglecting teaching. My friends in the various schools tell me that teaching well is no longer seen as an asset. Doing well in CCA and other non-teaching duties are.

If teachers anyhow teach, students can always find tuition. If students still score As, teacher can claim the credit and get promoted. But if teacher neglects CCA and other school work, then who will do all these things?

Hence, the more a teacher does for the students, the more the students will need tuition. Nowadays, doing CCA well is not enough. Still must plan overseas trips for students. Every year must always up one level. Your child fail in school, find tutor lor. Schools, like many civil service departments, all become wayang king.

i dont understand this system,shouldnt teachers be judged by their students(public opinion) and their exam scores(a improve in scores shows the teacher is a good teacher and motivator).

just like ministers should be judged by public opinion and the minimum wage of their citizens (no man left behind),if this was australia all the ministers would be fired if they do not guarantee a minimum wage of at least 16/hr.