• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

70s local band : Western Union Band (WUB)

ByTheWay

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Almost everyday i will check out movies and music, old and new on the web, that's how free i am.... so don't ask me for additional info. Google and Wikipedia are my good friends!

<iframe src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=e4bd9055d188" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

Western Union Band - Sausalito

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KPOSEHAIQlk?rel=0&showinfo=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Western Union Band - Howzat

5yrvNyT.jpg

The Western Union Band, featuring Chris Vadham, Danny Lim, Abel Gan, Peter Mangkok and Daniel Wee.

Their first LP, produced by Reggie Verghese, included tracks like Howzat, Slipping Away, Movie Star, Wise Man, We All Fall In Love Sometimes, Needles & Pins, Come Together, Living Next Door To Alice, Nights Are Forever, First Cut Is The Deepest, Paper Roses Paper Dreams, Did You Boogie, Stand By Me & Sausolito.

The second LP, managed by Jap Chong, offered tracks like Yesterday's Sorrow, When You Walk In The Room, You Keep Me Running, Free Me, Ain't Nothing Gonna Keep Me From You, Takin' Care Of Business, I've Got Love, You Are The Woman, Every Kinda Of People, How Can This Be Love, I Will Still Love You, I Can't Hold On & Dust In The Wind.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the old days the cinemas would show adverts before the start of the movie. The one I remember was the Levi's advertisement. Didn't know back then that it was by a local band but with Youtube I now know that it was a local band.

[video=youtube;cCCczI_jEIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCCczI_jEIA[/video]

ByTheWay

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the old days the cinemas would show adverts before the start of the movie. The one I remember was the Levi's advertisement. Didn't know back then that it was by a local band but with Youtube I now know that it was a local band.

Available on iTunes.

EMI owns the rights to it but u may be able to find it on vinyl in second hand shops selling old stuffs.

Last edited:

ByTheWay

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

By the way this another one of my social experiments.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TXxt55JepG0?rel=0&showinfo=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="640"></iframe>

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Available on iTunes.

EMI owns the rights to it but u may be able to find it on vinyl in second hand shops selling old stuffs.

I still have that Western Union Band Record in VG++ playable condition, once in a while, I take it for a spin....we call them, Record(s) back then or LP or EP..then it became Vinyl.

I have Matthew & The Mandarins, all their LP's in Mint Condition....including one Black Dog Bone LP in Malay...if anyone could remember them. Back then, few people buy the original stuff....it was ok for many to have a record collection of PIRATED records...& that is why, you can't find much good condition records of local artists out there...for most of them, have gone to the landfill...

Anyway.....Ministry Of Culture does not want to promote, decadent WESTERN MUSIC, with their pot smoking, bell bottom jeans,tie-dyed t shorts, Long or Afro Hair styles..back then. Local artists gets very little support...

Times have not change much isn't?...Local Talents....support? ha ha ha ha

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyway.....Ministry Of Culture does not want to promote, decadent WESTERN MUSIC, with their pot smoking, bell bottom jeans,tie-dyed t shorts, Long or Afro Hair styles..back then. Local artists gets very little support...

It was a time when LKY was saving Spore from communism: imprisoning people, closing down newspapers, clamping down on long hair,....

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I still have that Western Union Band Record in VG++ playable condition, once in a while, I take it for a spin....we call them, Record(s) back then or LP or EP..then it became Vinyl.

I have Matthew & The Mandarins, all their LP's in Mint Condition....including one Black Dog Bone LP in Malay...if anyone could remember them. Back then, few people buy the original stuff....it was ok for many to have a record collection of PIRATED records...& that is why, you can't find much good condition records of local artists out there...for most of them, have gone to the landfill...

nowadays local talent has even less talen compared to in the past no difference compared to the west but would you even dare listen to local music nowadays? Leaving aside pop acts, hip hop ones local bands all play the same boring generic sound and try their best to sound like 4th rate us/uk bands. You have a better chance in hearing higher quality music in say the Chinese/xinyao local music scene but I know these engrish speaking band listening type of fucks would rather be dead or listen to any other langage before they listen to Chinese music. So there yiu have it. Local music in today's context has a bigger chance of making it bigger commercially if you sing Chinese songs or just be a 4th rate uk/us band imitator. Some of these band ppl would rather be a fake us band
than try to promote something unique about their culture like chibese music

ByTheWay

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

By the way except for lyrics embedded in the video by fans, i couldn't find lyrics at websites specialized in songs lyrics. Goes to show that Sausolito is popular only in sg.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
By the way except for lyrics embedded in the video by fans, i couldn't find lyrics at websites specialized in songs lyrics. Goes to show that Sausolito is popular only in sg.

Anyway, the lyrics are corny & simple, you would not expect it to be "whiter shade of pale" etc??.

ByTheWay

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

By the way i manage to find their first LP all it in MP3 format and it's FREE so send me a PM if u are interested. No links will be posted here.

5yrvNyT.jpg

Their first LP, produced by Reggie Verghese, included tracks like Howzat, Slipping Away, Movie Star, Wise Man, We All Fall In Love Sometimes, Needles & Pins, Come Together, Living Next Door To Alice, Nights Are Forever, First Cut Is The Deepest, Paper Roses Paper Dreams, Did You Boogie, Stand By Me & Sausolito.

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
By the way i manage to find their first LP all it in MP3 format and it's FREE so send me a PM if u are interested. No links will be posted here.

Thank you for the offer, I have that LP & it is in good condition, like I had said....once in a while, I take it out for a spin....I am able to convert the tracks to MP3...etc..thanks anyway.

kaipoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you Bro, the song really bring me back to my high school careless year. Got Susan Lim (very unfortunate and sad to learn that she still swimming in south china sea) and The Quest. These are the top band in those days.

Almost everyday i will check out movies and music, old and new on the web, that's how free i am.... so don't ask me for additional info. Google and Wikipedia are my good friends!

<iframe src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=e4bd9055d188" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

Western Union Band - Sausalito

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KPOSEHAIQlk?rel=0&showinfo=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Western Union Band - Howzat

5yrvNyT.jpg

The Western Union Band, featuring Chris Vadham, Danny Lim, Abel Gan, Peter Mangkok and Daniel Wee.

The second LP, managed by Jap Chong, offered tracks like Yesterday's Sorrow, When You Walk In The Room, You Keep Me Running, Free Me, Ain't Nothing Gonna Keep Me From You, Takin' Care Of Business, I've Got Love, You Are The Woman, Every Kinda Of People, How Can This Be Love, I Will Still Love You, I Can't Hold On & Dust In The Wind.