• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Thought that Technology will lead to better life! What happened?

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last time in school, was taught that technology, automation and robotics will lead to people having more leisure and can retire early. Fast forward 20 years and what happened?? We work longer than we used to and worst we probably have to work till we dropped to survive!! I shuddered to think what the next 20 years will bring! Maybe no need to worry, probably gone by then!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Last time in school, was taught that technology, automation and robotics will lead to people having more leisure and can retire early. Fast forward 20 years and what happened?? We work longer than we used to and worst we probably have to work till we dropped to survive!! I shuddered to think what the next 20 years will bring! Maybe no need to worry, probably gone by then!

Technology has certainly worked for me. Without computers, powerful software and worldwide connectivity, I'd still be slogging away at a dead end desk job.

Technology is no different from any other entity. You have to harness it to your advantage. Nothing is delivered on a platter.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
easy since automation and technology has replaced the human being in many aspects,u are now a worthless entity and a major cost center that only serves to drag down the endless march of capitalism.....

so unless u cut down ur expectations and learn how to work for less than a bangra worker for $2 an hour,u are henceforth classified as obsolete and redundant and subject for termination.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Technology has definitely improved our lives. I remember too that before PCs became common stuff, we were told that one day, when PCs come into our lives, we would work 4 day week and have more time for leisure. Well, I work 24/7 now, but I also have more time for leisure. I can do many things over the internet, like purchase airline tickets without leaving my home, get in touch with almost anyone in any part of the world, watch youtube, etc. I remember too, when my dad first bought a washing machine and my grandaunty (who lived with us, and did the laundry - by hand!) had the biggest smile on her face when shown how to operate that machine, technology has helped us tremendously And what would we do without refrigerators? Aircon?

Cheers!

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
easy since automation and technology has replaced the human being in many aspects,u are now a worthless entity and a major cost center that only serves to drag down the endless march of capitalism.....

Automation has merely replaced dull and repetitive tasks. It has freed up time for more creative pursuits which has to be a good thing.

The only human that have been replaced are the ones that are incapable of functioning beyond robotic tasks. Life has always been about adaptation.

Those that cannot adapt are doomed to extinction. It's the same for all species.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

you want to live like the Jetson?:rolleyes:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Automation has merely replaced dull and repetitive tasks. It has freed up time for more creative pursuits which has to be a good thing.

The only human that have been replaced are the ones that are incapable of functioning beyond robotic tasks. Life has always been about adaptation.

Those that cannot adapt are doomed to extinction. It's the same for all species.

in case u arent aware most jobs out there are dull and repetitive and painful thats why they call it a job,those that have a margin of creativity and intellectual autonomy and pays well dont come around often......

although i agree technology and automation arent as harmful to human prosperity as globalisation is.globalisation has lead to a unlimited supply of cheap labour.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
although i agree technology and automation arent as harmful to human prosperity as globalisation is.globalisation has lead to a unlimited supply of cheap labour.

If an abundant supply of cheap labour was not available, iPhones would cost a lot more.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not talking about individual cases. I am talking mega trends. As far as mega trends goes, technology has replaced the mundane and repetitive, and we should see more leisure and earlier retirement as we reap the benefits of automation. But instead we r having to slog more and longer. WTF!! Just like the paperless office prediction - all bs!!

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am not talking about individual cases. I am talking mega trends. As far as mega trends goes, technology has replaced the mundane and repetitive, and we should see more leisure and earlier retirement as we reap the benefits of automation. But instead we r having to slog more and longer. WTF!! Just like the paperless office prediction - all bs!!

cause technology help the people at the top,dont expect any of the excess profit and productivity to flow to you......the ceos and ministers need their million dollar paychecks.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
cause technology help the people at the top,dont expect any of the excess profit and productivity to flow to you......the ceos and ministers need their million dollar paychecks.

Technology helps all those who capitalise on the opportunities that technology creates.

Take app developers as an example Apple has paid out $20 BILLION in the last year. This money isn't going to CEOs and ministers. It goes to those who sit down and harness the tremendous money making potential that phone apps have created. This market didn't even exist 6 years ago!

Google's payouts lag behind but they are catching up.

Tomorrow a new tech market will emerge which will create another great money making orgy. The opportunities that technology creates are boundless. The party is going to last for a long, long time.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
U hit the nail on the head. All the benefits r going to the people at the top. Technology replaced your job? Too bad. U have to run faster and cheaper than the next Ah Neh and robot. But either way, the top guy or owner benefit as he reaps the reward of this constant 'running'!

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
U hit the nail on the head. All the benefits r going to the people at the top. Technology replaced your job? Too bad. U have to run faster and cheaper than the next Ah Neh and robot. But either way, the top guy or owner benefit as he reaps the reward of this constant 'running'!

http://smartbusinesstrends.com/young-entrepreneurs-8-teenage-millionaires/

Just ordinary teenagers who decided not to waste their time hanging out but to put their time to good use instead.

Technology is a great equaliser. In the old days one needed a large amount of capital in order start a brick and mortar business. Nowadays all you need is a $500 computer. You don't even have to wait till you're grown up. You can start when you're 10 years old and grow the business till you retire at 18.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Technology helps all those who capitalise on the opportunities that technology creates.

Take app developers as an example Apple has paid out $20 BILLION in the last year. This money isn't going to CEOs and ministers. It goes to those who sit down and harness the tremendous money making potential that phone apps have created. This market didn't even exist 6 years ago!

Google's payouts lag behind but they are catching up.

Tomorrow a new tech market will emerge which will create another great money making orgy. The opportunities that technology creates are boundless. The party is going to last for a long, long time.

That 20 billion apple paid out is just the cost of doing business...think of it this way.....those app developers are just freelance employees,contractors and consultants.....at the end of the day they are at the mercy of apple and apple is still the big winner.....think eBay.....all the eBay sellers are at the mercy of eBay.....a few of them might become big enough and successful enough to gain special privileges but its all a big fucking rat race.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
That 20 billion apple paid out is just the cost of doing business...think of it this way.....those app developers are just freelance employees,contractors and consultants.....at the end of the day they are at the mercy of apple and apple is still the big winner.....think eBay.....all the eBay sellers are at the mercy of eBay.....a few of them might become big enough and successful enough to gain special privileges but its all a big fucking rat race.

You have a strange perspective of life. I have always viewed it as a symbiotic relationship.

I've been a contractor for the best part of my life and I've never felt that I'm at the mercy of anyone. However I'd be the first to acknowledge that nobody owes me a living. It's up to me to create a product of service for which there is a demand. If I fail it's my fault and mine alone.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You have a strange perspective of life. I have always viewed it as a symbiotic relationship.

I've been a contractor for the best part of my life and I've never felt that I'm at the mercy of anyone. However I'd be the first to acknowledge that nobody owes me a living. It's up to me to create a product of service for which there is a demand. If I fail it's my fault and mine alone.

I have always been very sensitive and aware of the inequality of the world I live in....

U are just higher up in the foodchain....if ur life was a little harder,competition a little more cutthroat, eyes a bit more twitchier,take a bit more shit from the world.....then u might be compelled to throw urself out of the window like bill gates when he finds out his bank account is as poor as Oprah.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I have always been very sensitive and aware of the inequality of the world I live in....

U are just higher up in the foodchain....if ur life was a little harder,competition a little more cutthroat, eyes a bit more twitchier,take a bit more shit from the world.....then u might be compelled to throw urself out of the window like bill gates when he finds out his bank account is as poor as Oprah.

I am fully aware of the inequality of the world. I also fully accept that equality is neither achievable nor desirable.

Humans aren't equal so why should outcomes be equal?