• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

It's a rich man's world : Doc followed Lawyer and overcharge Doc

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
The case of the law firm Wong Partnership overcharging their client has been in the news lately but in the latest development, the husband of Dr Susan Lim is now filing a complaint against one of the “expert witnesses” called by the Singapore Medical Council during the trial.

This new complaint is also about the expert witness, Dr Hong Ga Sze , overcharging his fees for being a witness.

The original case was a dispute between the Singapore Medical Council (SMC) and Dr Susan Lim as Dr Lim had been accused of overcharging her patient.

The SMC had hired lawyers Melanie Ho and PAP MP Alvin Yeo from Wong Parternship for the court case and they won the case.

As the losing party, Dr Susan Lim was ordered to pay the legal fees of the winning party but when she received the bill, she was shocked to find that it totalled over $1.33 million.

She disputed the bill and the High Court ruled that Wong Partnership could only charge $317,000.

(See: Court Rules that Lawyer, PAP MP Alvin Yeo overcharged $1million in Legal Fees)

The Law Society of Singapore later also rejected a complaint filed against Lawyer and PAP MP Alvin Yeo for misconduct in overcharging claiming that he was not the one in charge of billing and that he had not actually “overcharged” despite the high court slashing his fees.

(See: Law Society: Lawyer's bill reduced doesn't mean Alvin Yeo's Law Firm Overcharged)

As part of the fee cuts, it was discovered that one of the inflated costs contained in the bill was a $40,000 fee charged by Dr Hong Ga Sze, a doctor who was called to give a testimony against Dr Susan Lim in her trial.

Dr Hong had explained to the court the standard charging practices for doctors.

However, his own bill to Wong Partnership was described as “very high”, “exorbitant”, “disproportionately high” and “questionable” by the High Court.

Dr Hong’s fees were as follows:

$14,000 for “pre-trial discussions with WongPartnership” between 18 Mar 2009 to 3 Feb 2010
$6,000 for “standby for trial” on 4 Feb 2010
$14,000 for “expert evidence” on 8 Apr 2010
$6,000 for “preparation of trial report”

The “expert evidence” which he gave was mainly only relating to how doctors usually charge patients.

In the end, the High Court slashed his fees to only $5,000.

Further investigations following the slashing of his bills also showed that Dr Hong is an SMC council member.

Now, Dr Susan Lim’s husband is filing an official complaint with the SMC for Dr Hong’s overcharging.

The matter is now with the SMC’s complaints committee which will decide whether Dr Hong should be brought before a disciplinary tribunal for his overcharging.

However, many netizens are doubtful that anything will be done as Dr Hong already sits on the SMC council.

Similar to how Alvin Yeo had not had anything done against him despite it being proven in the High Court that he charged $1 million in excess legal fees.

What do you think?
http://therealsingapore.com/content...-who-charged-40k-testify-against-dr-susan-lim

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
haha the world of law is really the rich man's world,$40,000 just to be a witness?wah lan these lawyers are machiam like high rollers at MBS paiza,can bet $500 on one hand of baccarat without blinking an eye.

Last edited:

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
susan lim's husband really rocking the cradle, got solid iron balls,respect!:cool:

he's only doing this after his wife got charged. not a squeak from him before the case. his actions stink of a vendetta.

nonetheless, good show he is putting on for us.

truly a dog eat dog world.

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
If there were no privileges for being wealthy, why would so many poor sods queue up at the TOTO booths every week. :rolleyes:

those poor sods are looking for material comfort and 3 square meals at the food court.

privileges granted to the wealthy are an aberration of the rule of law. is this what you support?

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
susan lim's husband really rocking the cradle, got solid iron balls,respect!:cool:

SMC really think they can bully through and through just like normal singkie. But they are really wrong. They do not know who they are dealing with.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
mama of all overchargers ... ah loon ...

rest juz follow ...

iz n overchargerz world in sinkielan now ... if u dun charge hi, u r s2pig ...

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
privileges granted to the wealthy are an aberration of the rule of law. is this what you support?

The rule of law is an ideal but it does not exist anywhere. You should learn to face reality.

Do I support the concept of rule of law? Of course I do.

Do I actually expect any society to implement it without fear or favor? Of course I don't. Mankind does not operate that way.

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
The rule of law is an ideal but it does not exist anywhere. You should learn to face reality.

Do I support the concept of rule of law? Of course I do.

Do I actually expect any society to implement it without fear or favor? Of course I don't. Mankind does not operate that way.

How will adopting your viewpoint make the country a better place for all? Do you believe we will forever be confined to an existence of 4 legs good, 2 legs bad?