• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The greatest drummer of all time

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
[h=3]1. John Bonham[/h]Drum roll please...
Led Zeppelin's John Bonham has been called the godfather of drumming. Decades after his death, Bonham is considered by many to be the greatest drummer in rock history due to his speed, power, fast right foot, passion and distinctive sound.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sKItc.gif

HighwayStar

Alfrescian
Loyal

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OAUEO6WsPWs?rel=0&showinfo=0" allowfullscreen="" height="480" width="853" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Nicko McBrain

Blazars

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mick Fleetwood is the best. Max Weinberg a close second.

A friend of mine says Neil Peart of Rush is the best. But after seeing some videos, I dont quite agree.

Best drummer is really quite subjective. Personally, I like Dave Grohl.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
A friend of mine says Neil Peart of Rush is the best. But after seeing some videos, I dont quite agree.

I think it really depends on the genre of the music. If its heavy metal for example, there is only one speed on the drums, the drummer is just pounding away on the double bass, toms and snares non stop. because a group like Fleetwood Mac encompasses ballards, rock, blues, blues rock, etc. the drummer has to change his pace and style to fit the particular song. More challenging in my opinion. U can see Mick Fleetwood really working the drums like crazy during the fast numbers, and than take it down to almost dead slow in "Landslide". That's why I think he is the best, and perennially on Playboy's All Star Band.

As for Max Weinberg, a bespectacled Jewish boy from New Jersey playing drums for one of the Greatest bands in history is just an incredible story.

As for David Grohl, i don't consider any of them (Nirvana) a musician at all. I am not even sure you can call him a drummer as he also plays piano, guitar, bass, etc on his own albums. In fact, his set of drums in Nirvana would not cut it for most professional drummers, u are talking about one snare, one tom, and one bass, plus a whole bunch of cymbals? I don't think he is a dedicated drummer at all.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Here's the top 10 according to this NZ Herald article...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/music/news/article.cfm?c_id=264&objectid=11340096

10. Gene Krupa

During the 1930s and '40s, Gene Krupa was a legend in the big band and swing jazz movements. One of his most famous works was Sing, Sing, Sing - where Krupa performed the first commercially recorded extended drum solo.
Krupa is also know for stages a series of drum battles with Buddy Rich.
<iframe width="100%" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BZ5B7yqDYbA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
App users: Tap here to view the video

9. Mike Portnoy

Mike Portnoy is best known as the co-founder of progressive metal / rock band Dream Theater. His technical skills have resulted in 29 awards from the Modern Drummer magazine. Portnoy is the second youngest person (after Neil Peart) to be inducted into the Modern Drummer's Hall of Fame.
8. Phil Collins

Drummer and lead vocalist of Genesis, and having forged a successful solo career, Phil Collins has been called one of the most successful songwriters and performers of all time.

<iframe width="100%" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YkADj0TPrJA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Collins has won numerous music awards, including seven Grammy Awards, six Brit Awards, three American Music Awards, an Academy Award, two Golden Globe Awards and a Disney Legend.
7. Dave Grohl

Dave Grohl is one of the top drummers of all time, but he is also competent at performing many different instruments. He is a singer, songwriter, producer and film director. Among other things, Grohl is known for his work with Foo Fighters, Them Crooked Vultures and Nirvana.
6. Stewart Copeland

Stewart Copeland sings, plays the guitar, drums and keyboard. He was one of the Police's major songwriters and after the band's breakup, Copeland began composing soundtracks for movies, television, opera and ballet.
5. Ginger Baker

One of the greatest cross-genre drummers of all time, Ginger Baker was originally a British jazz drummer. Baker travelled to Africa and studied African rhythms which he incorporated in his work on Cream and Blind Faith.
Here is a 10-minute drum solo on Cream's "Toad."
<iframe width="100%" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uLQAzrZ4F9c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

4. Buddy Rich

A jazz drummer who played with, among others, Frank Sinatra, Tommy Dorsey and Oscar Peterson. Buddy Rich was known for his temper and occasional rages, but this was often overlooked because of his talent.
<iframe width="100%" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sWrxHP36N1Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

3. Keith Moon

This is the drummer my husband picked for number one. A member of The Who, Moon's wild, energetic energy added to the band's enigmatic stage presence.
In 2011, Moon was voted the second-greatest drummer in history by a Rolling Stone readers' poll.
<iframe width="100%" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/htz9CS-Zmms" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

2. Neil Peart

Drummer and lyricist for Rush, Peart has received numerous awards for his musical performances. He is known for his stamina and technical ability. Bandmate Geddy Lee called him "the professor on the drum kit."
<iframe width="100%" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Sa0C5Uxpd3c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

1. John Bonham

Drum roll please...
Led Zeppelin's John Bonham has been called the godfather of drumming. Decades after his death, Bonham is considered by many to be the greatest drummer in rock history due to his speed, power, fast right foot, passion and distinctive sound.
<iframe width="100%" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/95zF6v6f66E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

By Rhonwyn Newson @NewRhon
raegun (Waikato) | 08:58AM Saturday, 11 Oct 2014
Keith Moon number one for me, there are Who tracks where Moon pretty much plays lead drum, "I Can See for Miles" springs to mind instantly

Tarb () | 08:58AM Saturday, 11 Oct 2014
Mitch Mitchell should be on this list! Anyone who can Drum for such a talented Guitarist as Jimi (Buster) Hendrix, who produced such a diverse genre of Music range, in my book, deserves to head this list. I bet whoever put this so called Best 10 Drummers list together that, if you were to put any of your 10 Best behind Jimi, that they wouldn't have done the job justice like Mitch Mitchell did.
However in my opinion you did get the No1 somewhat correct. John Bonham was definitely one of the Greats! as he was able to adapt instantaneously as did Mitch Mitchell.

M. Tawhai, Rotorua.

Claire () | 08:58AM Saturday, 11 Oct 2014
Karen Carpenter

HighwayStar

Alfrescian
Loyal

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iL7oxC90Lqw?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" height="480" width="640" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Led Zeppelin – Rock And Roll を弾いてみた

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal

Made by Grohl - sound city

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HQoOfiLz1G4[/video]

HighwayStar

Alfrescian
Loyal

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XEKS0vhTFBE?rel=0&showinfo=0" allowfullscreen="" height="480" width="640" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Guns N Roses - Welcome to the jungle を弾いてみた

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have your choice for best drummer, and I'm sure others have their own too, but I don't bother much about drum solos. Sorry, my view is that they're a bore.

Cheers!

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
as a pap supporter,i think you are being rude to robert lee. i can feel how he feel, he is nice enough to let you all take him like a clown, and he dun mind cos' he really cares about his pple, as long as his pple are happy, so will he...

but i also can't stop laughing...:biggrin::o

HighwayStar

Alfrescian
Loyal

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wrYunI6yQB8?rel=0&showinfo=0" allowfullscreen="" height="480" width="640" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Guns N Roses の Sweet child o mine を弾いてみた

TrueColors

Alfrescian
Loyal

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eb_UJ8rQtoA?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" height="360" width="640" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Carl Palmer

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal
As for Max Weinberg, a bespectacled Jewish boy from New Jersey playing drums for one of the Greatest bands in history is just an incredible story.

As for David Grohl, i don't consider any of them (Nirvana) a musician at all. I am not even sure you can call him a drummer as he also plays piano, guitar, bass, etc on his own albums. In fact, his set of drums in Nirvana would not cut it for most professional drummers, u are talking about one snare, one tom, and one bass, plus a whole bunch of cymbals? I don't think he is a dedicated drummer at all.

LOL from youtube videos i observe that your fav Max Weinberg basically uses the same set up as Dave Grohl. Does it mean he's not a dedicated drummer too?