• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Oh scoot! It's banned?

hokkien

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ng Jun Sen | The New Paper | Wednesday, Sep 24, 2014
SINGAPORE - While others rely on personal or public transport, he whizzes around on his electric kick scooter.
Travelling around five kilometres over park connectors and pavements is how designer Benjy Choo, 39, goes to work each day.
Said Mr Choo: "On days that my wife uses the car, I ride the e-scooter. Public transport doesn't take me right to the doorstep of my office and bicycles are too cumbersome to carry to a meeting and the weather is too hot to ride one."
The only problem is, it is illegal to ride e-scooters on our roads and Mr Choo could be jailed or fined for it.
The Land Transport Authority (LTA), Traffic Police and the National Parks Board said they are not allowed or not advised to be on public roads, pavements and park connectors.
Users know it is illegal to ride them on public roads, but few know that they are not allowed in parks and on pavements too.
Some riders told The New Paper that because they cannot afford a car and the MRT trains and public buses are too crowded, these scooters are the best solution to their transport woes.
Mr Choo, for example, rides it often to work, to meet clients or to run errands for his family.
He said: "I know there are no regulations yet. No one knows what the authorities might decide, but if it is banned, it would be such a waste. It reduces the need for cars and one can easily take it onto buses and trains.
"It is the perfect solution for Singapore."
Soaring popularity
Distributors and retailers said sales figures have rocketed since their introduction late last year.
One of the largest e-scooter distributors here, Falcon Portable Electric Vehicles, said each sale comes attached with a warning.
Its director, Mr Warren Chew, said: "I tell each customer that, technically, what they are getting is not legal to be used on almost any road here."
Mr Chew said the scooters are so popular that the company sold more units in a month than it had forecasted for a year.
He classes the scooters as portable electric vehicles (PEV), alongside self-balancing unicycles and vehicles like the Segway.
He believes there are 2,000 to 3,000 PEV users on the road today, based on his sales figures. Exact figures are not known as there is no industry association for these vehicles and some buyers get their scooters from online shops.
Some of these models have more powerful engines than those sold by Falcon and have higher top speeds.
Said Mr Chew: "That could become a safety and reliability problem.
"That is why we are very much in favour of some regulation and I expect it to come within a year."
E-scooters are not a new, but advances in battery technology have made them smaller and lighter, said another distributor of an e-scooter.
That is why they have become so popular, said the director of Zoom Urban Transport, Mr James Lai, 24.
His company, which started in April, sells between 50 and 100 e-scooters every month.
"Most of our customers are the young corporate type," he said, adding that some of his clients are businesses that want to use them for their factories, warehouses or offices.
"Because e-scooters are so portable, we know of many drivers who keep them in their car boot.
"They park somewhere cheaper and 'scoot' to their destination."
This recent trend has also created several enthusiast communities here.
Said the founder of Facebook group Big Wheel Scooters Singapore, Mr Swen Einhaus: "I started the group last November, thinking there was just a small niche community.
"I did not expect the hype to build up so quickly."
His group has more than 2,500 users and it organises meet-ups at least once a month.
About 40 to 50 e-scooter users attend each time, he said.
- See more at: http://transport.asiaone.com/news/general/story/oh-scoot-its-banned#sthash.hTsnPCW2.dpuf

LEGEND

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In Sinkieland, you have no choice. Your choice is decided by the gabernment. :oIo:

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It will not be banned when LTA comes up with how much to tax and SPF comes up with how much to fine.

cocobobo

Alfrescian
Loyal
i have one.
its illegal because less people will need cars, ride buses and trains.
i'm expecting the govt to regulate soon.
By regulate i mean license.
By license, i mean no $500 cert, no ride.
To be renewed annually.
And inspection. Don't forget annual inspection.
Govt care for safety also you know?

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
this is a superb idea to solve the final mile problem. i hope enlightened planners at the LTA seriously look into PEVs as an alternative form of transportation.

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
there should be mandatory insurance too. to ensure riders ride responsibly.

i have one.
To be renewed annually.

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
there should be mandatory insurance too. to ensure riders ride responsibly.

i have one.
To be renewed annually.

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
angmo country still da best!

081307_10mph_600x.jpg

oldmanridingcenterline.jpg

planeonhighway.jpg

WPTV-boat-in-road_20130406115546_640_480.JPG

060312_Jondaryan_heart_attack_fct1024x630_t460.jpg

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The PAP govt pretends to care for your safety and well-being, but in reality it merely wants more sources of revenue via licensing and taxation etc.

This is nothing new. There's no point trying to deny this.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another stupid regulation

Oh scoot! It's banned?

Ng Jun Sen | The New Paper | Wednesday, Sep 24, 2014

SINGAPORE - While others rely on personal or public transport, he whizzes around on his electric kick scooter.

Travelling around five kilometres over park connectors and pavements is how designer Benjy Choo, 39, goes to work each day.

Said Mr Choo: "On days that my wife uses the car, I ride the e-scooter. Public transport doesn't take me right to the doorstep of my office and bicycles are too cumbersome to carry to a meeting and the weather is too hot to ride one."

The only problem is, it is illegal to ride e-scooters on our roads and Mr Choo could be jailed or fined for it.

The Land Transport Authority (LTA), Traffic Police and the National Parks Board said they are not allowed or not advised to be on public roads, pavements and park connectors.

Users know it is illegal to ride them on public roads, but few know that they are not allowed in parks and on pavements too.

Some riders told The New Paper that because they cannot afford a car and the MRT trains and public buses are too crowded, these scooters are the best solution to their transport woes.

Mr Choo, for example, rides it often to work, to meet clients or to run errands for his family.

He said: "I know there are no regulations yet. No one knows what the authorities might decide, but if it is banned, it would be such a waste. It reduces the need for cars and one can easily take it onto buses and trains.

"It is the perfect solution for Singapore."

Soaring popularity

Distributors and retailers said sales figures have rocketed since their introduction late last year.

One of the largest e-scooter distributors here, Falcon Portable Electric Vehicles, said each sale comes attached with a warning.

Its director, Mr Warren Chew, said: "I tell each customer that, technically, what they are getting is not legal to be used on almost any road here."

Mr Chew said the scooters are so popular that the company sold more units in a month than it had forecasted for a year.

He classes the scooters as portable electric vehicles (PEV), alongside self-balancing unicycles and vehicles like the Segway.

He believes there are 2,000 to 3,000 PEV users on the road today, based on his sales figures. Exact figures are not known as there is no industry association for these vehicles and some buyers get their scooters from online shops.

Some of these models have more powerful engines than those sold by Falcon and have higher top speeds.

Said Mr Chew: "That could become a safety and reliability problem.

"That is why we are very much in favour of some regulation and I expect it to come within a year."

E-scooters are not a new, but advances in battery technology have made them smaller and lighter, said another distributor of an e-scooter.

That is why they have become so popular, said the director of Zoom Urban Transport, Mr James Lai, 24.

His company, which started in April, sells between 50 and 100 e-scooters every month.

"Most of our customers are the young corporate type," he said, adding that some of his clients are businesses that want to use them for their factories, warehouses or offices.

"Because e-scooters are so portable, we know of many drivers who keep them in their car boot.

"They park somewhere cheaper and 'scoot' to their destination."

This recent trend has also created several enthusiast communities here.

Said the founder of Facebook group Big Wheel Scooters Singapore, Mr Swen Einhaus: "I started the group last November, thinking there was just a small niche community.

"I did not expect the hype to build up so quickly."

His group has more than 2,500 users and it organises meet-ups at least once a month.

About 40 to 50 e-scooter users attend each time, he said.