• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

of Shakespeare and pronounciation...

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
De oRriginal per-onoun-cia-cion of English in ShakesspeaRrean thyme :p:p:p

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gPlpphT7n9s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
How would KNNBCCB have been pronounced during Shakespeare's time?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder if there is anyone from the Ministry of Education or NUS literature department able to produce words from Singapore's mother tongues from pre-WW2 period. There might still exist recorded material from Redifusion's teochew operas, and if anyone today is able to comprehend them.

I wonder how well Shakespearean literature went with Singapore students? During O levels, there were KNNBCCB kids in our class whom the teacher was trying to get to absord Henry V. What a waste of time and effort.

Cheers!

How would KNNBCCB have been pronounced during Shakespeare's time?

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
u cant be serious....original shakespeare sounds like a bunch of irish and scottish skirt wearing sheep shagging fags?

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One of the big mistakes of literature teaching is to treat drama as if it were meant to be read off the page. And to give the idea that Shakespeare wrote for speakers of Received Pronunciation. When students realize Shakespeare is meant to be performed and can (and has been) adapted for various media, the resistance usually melts.

Let's enjoy this 'band of brothers' speech from Henry V:

[video=youtube;680NlRI3v2I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=680NlRI3v2I[/video]

I wonder if there is anyone from the Ministry of Education or NUS literature department able to produce words from Singapore's mother tongues from pre-WW2 period.

Last edited by a moderator:

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
KJV Bible was edited by Shake spear and see the style of Shake spear writing in the Bible.

Cannot imagine Arab Jesus talked like Shake Spear ... Merrily I say unto thee ...

Like you say, someone has made a fool of the Bible turning God story into Shake Spear play and drama show.

One of the big mistakes of literature teaching is to treat drama as if it were meant to be read off the page.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Merrily I say unto thee
Please don't bother me with stupid nonsense
Like how Shakespeare
Might sound like if spoken in old dead English

Merrily I would prefer
Hamlet's soliloquy or in Cantonese law li law saw
Done in Americano rap
Mai Hum acts like Hitler and Sinkieland is Nutzi