• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

He found success without a degree

hokkien

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
By Pearl Lee
The Straits Times
Thursday, Sep 11, 2014

Mr Dennis Tan, 56, was highlighted by Ms Denise Phua (Moulmein-Kallang GRC) yesterday as someone who had succeeded in the workforce even without academic qualifications.

He left school after completing his O-level exams, and started working right away, as a clerk and then a training coordinator in various industries.

But Mr Tan said there were times when he found himself unable to progress beyond a certain rank as he did not have the paper qualifications.

"I have worked at many places before, and some of them are very good companies. But they were not able to promote me because I didn't have a polytechnic certificate or a degree," he said.

Mr Tan, who has two children, now manages enrichment programmes for autistic children at the Autism Resource Centre, where he has worked for 10 years and where Ms Phua is president.

"Denise empowers us. I have been given a lot of opportunities to manage programmes. There is a lot of trust and freedom," he said.

"I have experienced it before, so I know that it can be quite hard to move up if one lacks (certain) qualifications," added Mr Tan.

"But there are non-graduates who can do the job just as well as a graduate. Give them a chance, and assess them based on their ability to do the job."

This article was first published on Sept 09, 2014.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

- See more at: http://education.asiaone.com/content/he-found-success-without-degree#sthash.BlWjQ9DJ.dpuf

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
if you don't have any skills, the more u need to go university.

of course lah, social life in university is also splendid, with lots of hot chicks in their prime.

PMPunk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why is Mr Dennis Tan, another case study photo-less?

Dennis Tan?????

Dennis-Tan-lawyer.jpg

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can autistic folks be 'enriched'?

Obviously, with such a job, NO paper qualifications need exist, cos the need for such a job should not exist.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Always fascinating to see how these SPH presstitutes manage to conveniently dig up case studies to propagate and justify the PAP's official line. :wink:

Read more:

http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread....lling-1-50-chicken-rice&p=1507566#post1507566

http://sammyboy.com/showthread.php?...Reason-to-Lock-Your-CPF&p=1903237#post1903237

http://sammyboy.com/showthread.php?...g-if-they-have-a-choice&p=1950530#post1950530

---

"Hawker makes $6,000 monthly selling $1.50 chicken rice"
"Earns $850 and owns a two-room flat"
"Less pay is ok, say older workers (former jail superintendant)"

Many, many more examples. :rolleyes:

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
if you don't have any skills, the more u need to go university.

of course lah, social life in university is also splendid, with lots of hot chicks in their prime.

You do not need to have a degree to be successful.
All the rich people will employ people with Degree ,Master and Professional Qualification to do their dirty work. That is the fact of life.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
You do not need to have a degree to be successful.
All the rich people will employ people with Degree ,Master and Professional Qualification to do their dirty work. That is the fact of life.

no leh, my elite customers all still went to uni to bonk girls although they spent most of their time golfing now. Cannot qualify for local uni or overseas uni, still go SIM wor.

degree is still good to have.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
So far, i only know 1 rich man in life who didn't send his kids to uni. THAT IS SUPER RARE - the only case study i know.
Rich or poor, all also hope to go university if given the chance.
RUN no degree but still hope his kids can be grads.

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And if degrees not important stop spending taxpayers' money to sponsor scholarships for fts and stop giving scholarships to the cronies and pappies children to study overseas and raid our reserve.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
You no degree and you also doing fine now mah.

It is still a regret. You know how many lonely stressful girls i can bed every night if I stayed in uni hostel.

Now, my skills is carrying golf bags for people playing golf
and then come here report what i heard.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
And if degrees not important stop spending taxpayers' money to sponsor scholarships for fts and stop giving scholarships to the cronies and pappies children to study overseas and raid our reserve.

my country is telling my kids that no degree nevermind, as a lot of places went to foreigners on scholarships.

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr Dennis Tan, 56, was highlighted by Ms Denise Phua (Moulmein-Kallang GRC) yesterday as someone who had succeeded in the workforce even without academic qualifications.

This is heatening becasuse I want to be a surgeon but do not have a medical degree. Now I can fulfill my dream of being a surgeon.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is heatening becasuse I want to be a surgeon but do not have a medical degree. Now I can fulfill my dream of being a surgeon.

If you're playing down the importance of tertiary education, why are you building so many universities? :rolleyes::wink: