• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Retrenched and Frustrated

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Happened to meet a friend at a hawker centre today, in his late forties. He was having meal with his wifey and looks distraught. Went to say hello and asked him how he was doing. Understand the kids went for tuition in the vicinity.

Was told that he got retrenched only last month, after working in the company for almost a year. Asked him if there is any compensation, but told there was none, as service was less than a year.
Understand from him this is his 4th retrenchment. Asked him what's next, and says he is taking a short break. Told me he is willing to take on jobs as it comes, as he still got 3 school going kids. Understand he is a degree holder, in Engineering, though not so sure what's the specific. Told me last resort, to be cab driver, if no other choice.

Some others friend that I know them too, understand from him, one is driving taxi, and 2 others also got retrenched, still looking for job.

Luckily, he told me he still has some savings, and good thing is the wife is still working.

After talking to him, the thought is with the going is good, one must learn to be self sufficient, whether to start a business, or go into partnership to set up a business with a friend. No need to worry about getting retrenched, though many may say that it is easier said than done.

Nevertheless, to be retrench 4 times, how much can a person take?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bbe5c98d2fc02e7b64f5afb2b08b0c77_330.jpg

Cum on! I know you Stinkees will still vote for me regardless! *hee*hee*

greenies

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Australia, retrenchment of citizen job shall be deal with favour to employee.
Company which retrenched local shall be punished heavily.
Here, it is opposite.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Who he voted for in the first place?

Taxi is the last resort. There plenty of jobs that pay ard $2500 but need to use manual strength. If his industry already sunset or filled with FTrash, maybe it a good time to change.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

That's because he keeps choosing to work for someone else. If he started his own enterprise he'd be the one in the driver's seat and he wouldn't have to worry about retrenchment.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bedok reservoir is waiting.

That is old fashion....one day, one extremely mad deranged out of work, deep in debts PMET with a 'bimb jacket"...will approach one of the white jackass.....& hug! There are a lot of frustrated ones out there....

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is old fashion....one day, one extremely mad deranged out of work, deep in debts PMET with a 'bimb jacket"...will approach one of the white jackass.....& hug! There are a lot of frustrated ones out there....

yeah u can wait long long,ill be happy if a sinkie even find the balls to take off his shoes and throw them at Pinky Lee during a NDP rally.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He must b one of those idiots tat believe in having more kids..as bloodline etc etc..educated n still believe in this sort of crap.

Having 3 kids in this expensive nation is asking for trouble. People think anyhow can whack and have plenty of kids without consequences?

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's because he keeps choosing to work for someone else. If he started his own enterprise he'd be the one in the driver's seat and he wouldn't have to worry about retrenchment.
The education you have in your early years mould your thinking. A Chinese fable goes like this, "A farmer found a dead rabbit below a tree. It has crashed into the tree. He decided to sit under the tree and wait for the next rabbit."

A new fable goes like this, "one day a lucky chap set up his own enterprise and succeeded. Since then he went around encouraging every stranger he met to be their own boss, regardless of their made or quality. Though he was fully aware that not everyone has the substance to be an entrepreneur but badly needs to boost his own ego by using every opportunity to repeat his own success sorry."

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
HR in some companies are now offering an adhoc 1-3 month bonus for their perm staff. In return, the perm staff are free-to-leave OR enjoy a $200-300 monthly increment, on the condition that they will now served under a revised 6-24mth employment contract (forfeiting all benefits, job security and future bonus and pay-increment). On a brighter note, such practice avoids outright retrenchment and gives the employee time to seek another job.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
what sort of engineer is he? theres certainly a shortage in the construction industry now.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
First, reading, he can afford 3 kids & still having tuition, is not in dire straits at all. Why did the couple, commit to 3 children, where they know raising even one in SINgapore is a mind boggling experience, full of stress & costs??. Retrench 4 times...must a damn bloody looser or an idiotic choosy person, when getting work, wants "good pay & work less". After riding the waves of economic upturn & downturn, as a Salary worker, I had enough of the "loss sharing" with the companies i work for, long, long time back, I made a decision one day...to be my own BOSS & manage on my own. I make more I spend a bit more, I make less I cut corners & when I am making good, save for days, like " I have to cut corners". Rather than moan & groan, getting repeatedly retrench....should be much more enterprising & look for a self employed line of work. What is the use of a degree, when that person, doesn't want to take any risks to go ahead & survive.....??

In the past, the older generation will tell you, " du su" "study to lose"...

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Happened to meet a friend at a hawker centre today, in his late forties. He was having meal with his wifey and looks distraught. Went to say hello and asked him how he was doing. Understand the kids went for tuition in the vicinity.

Was told that he got retrenched only last month, after working in the company for almost a year. Asked him if there is any compensation, but told there was none, as service was less than a year.
Understand from him this is his 4th retrenchment. Asked him what's next, and says he is taking a short break. Told me he is willing to take on jobs as it comes, as he still got 3 school going kids. Understand he is a degree holder, in Engineering, though not so sure what's the specific. Told me last resort, to be cab driver, if no other choice.

Some others friend that I know them too, understand from him, one is driving taxi, and 2 others also got retrenched, still looking for job.

Luckily, he told me he still has some savings, and good thing is the wife is still working.

After talking to him, the thought is with the going is good, one must learn to be self sufficient, whether to start a business, or go into partnership to set up a business with a friend. No need to worry about getting retrenched, though many may say that it is easier said than done.

Actually starting a business, being self-employed and achieve self-sufficiency is not really that difficult.

What people misunderstood is that, you got to start small and learn from it.

when i mean learn from it , i mean learning from failure and mistakes.. that is why you need to start small to pay for the mistake and failures.

You will sure to make mistakes and encounter lots of problems because you are doing something new and learning from it.

What most people are afraid of is the stress of making the mistake and taking on the failure. Those employees from the employee-orientated education are so paranoid in making mistake and think that one mistake will kill you for life and then you can make a come back..

This is a very unhealthy conditioning and it has set many people back from achieving great wealth and self-sufficiency.

When you learn from a business mistake, you will get a COMPOUNDED experience from learning that mistake.. This lesson is actually a wisdom and a learnt experience which helps you in life and business.. This is what is valuable for getting yourself to be self-sufficient.

kaipoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Boss Sam how come you so smart, in Singapore govt guarantee you won't loose money when you set up a company.
Govt. is giving out 50K t0 300K to encourage company to retain staff especial the older staff (45 yo and above the older the better).
Many CONsultants companies ask for fee of 3K to 10K to assist you to claim if you do not how to apply for this free money.

Although NTUC/SNEF specified no engagement of outside CONsultant to do the application for fees, but they normally CLOSED 2 eyes - this is what the CONsultant said one, they also claim that they know someone there (NTUC?/SNEF) to help out? they have done many cases successfully. How come CPIB allows this kind of profiteering?

The assistance to retain older worker scheme has started many years and these CONsultants are making a lot of $. Quick! jump into this gravy bandwagon, huat ah!

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
best of all for being self-employed and being self - sufficient,

you can show your middle finger to the PAP govt when they are stupid..well, they are always stupid.

You are not in their system and can always fuck off from sinkieland and to other places to have your life.

You are not just being self-sufficent, you have the freedom too.