• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

More ATMs, but not all are within easy reach

hokkien

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
More automated teller machines (ATMs) have been installed this year but residents in less densely populated areas can still struggle to find one.
This is a sore point, particularly, among the elderly, who are less mobile.
For instance, 67-year-old Elizabeth Boyd, who lives in the Upper Thomson area, finds it hard to access ATMs.
The housewife told The Straits Times that two UOB ATMs near Jalan Leban have been removed, causing inconvenience to many senior citizens living in the area.
"I have a very sick husband, and I need to take a little cash to pay the nurse. The elderly find it difficult to go far," she added.
Mrs Boyd's case is not an isolated one. Mountbatten MP Lim Biow Chuan said his elderly constituents have also encountered difficulty in getting access to banking services. That led him to table a parliamentary query earlier this month asking if the Government would consider requiring banks to provide adequate ATMs and cash deposit machines when there is a critical mass of 5,000 residents in the area.
"From my perspective, we should regulate things like banking facilities more because this is a service to people and we can't leave it to the banks entirely to see if it is commercially viable to do so," he told The Straits Times.
There were about 2,700 ATMs operated by both local and foreign banks as of last month.
That is about 116, or 4.5 per cent, more than the 2,584 machines available at the end of last year, said the Monetary Authority of Singapore.It is a significant increase as there were 2,579 local and foreign ATMs at the end of 2012, meaning only five additional machines were installed in the 12 months to the end of 2013.
Local banks have kept their ATM numbers more or less the same over the past few years, so the growth has likely come from foreign banks looking to boost their retail presence.
DBS Bank and its POSB brand have the largest network with just over 1,100 ATMs. OCBC Bank and United Overseas Bank (UOB) each have about 600 ATMs but, as they share their networks, customers have access to around 1,200 machines although a small fee is charged after a user makes a specified number of transactions from the other bank.
Banks said customer demand is a major driving force behind the location of ATMs and whether they dispense both $10 and $50 notes.
A UOB spokesman said the bank has relocated a number of ATMs in areas with low usage to places with higher customer activity. It will also install a new ATM at a Jalan Leban SPC petrol kiosk within the next few weeks.
"We always look for ways to make banking more convenient for our customers," she added. "This is why we have placed our ATMs at transportation hubs and shopping centres across the island and where there is strong demand from our customers."
DBS' move to reconfigure its ATMs comes in response to customer demand.
At least two DBS ATMs - one at Marine Parade Central and another at Cambridge Road - have started dispensing both $10 and $50 notes again in recent weeks. They were converted to issuing only $50 bills a few months ago but customers complained.
Its head of consumer banking group here, Mr Jeremy Soo, said: "We have taken on board customer feedback on their preference for withdrawing cash in smaller denominations and are already making adjustments to many of our ATM withdrawal configurations across the island."
He added that DBS is partnering 7-Eleven so bank customers can withdraw up to $80 at the convenience stores. "By doing so, we increased our network of cash withdrawal touchpoints to over 1,600."
[email protected]
- See more at: http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/more-atms-not-all-are-within-easy-reach#sthash.pJ1y5BmH.dpuf

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
the number of ATMs mean little if there is not much spare money to draw out and enjoy.......sinkie's disposable income in real terms is just getting less and less every year.....soon i got no money to buy points from BosSam.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bro, you actually bought points.. from that miser sam leong...:eek::biggrin:

the number of ATMs mean little if there is not much spare money to draw out and enjoy.......sinkie's disposable income in real terms is just getting less and less every year.....soon i got no money to buy points from BosSam.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not that I go there to withdraw money....there are ATM's in certain areas I remember, in case I run out of cash....now, I know the one, near to the 7-11 store at Jln Leban is gone....hmm & the other one too. I thought 7-11 usually have OCBC ATM too?? The lady is right, the nearest ATM in that area is damn bloody far away...but she does not , she can withdraw cash using POSB/DBS card from 7-11 at a fee...right!?

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
Sembawang Hills Estate boy?

Not that I go there to withdraw money....there are ATM's in certain areas I remember, in case I run out of cash....now, I know the one, near to the 7-11 store at Jln Leban is gone....hmm & the other one too. I thought 7-11 usually have OCBC ATM too?? The lady is right, the nearest ATM in that area is damn bloody far away...but she does not , she can withdraw cash using POSB/DBS card from 7-11 at a fee...right!?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Need to cross upper Thomson rd and go over to the other patrol kiosks to get to atms

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Need to cross upper Thomson rd and go over to the other patrol kiosks to get to atms

Old people, too lazy to cross the road....do not think, the SPC Petrol Station have ATM, does it? People are creatures of habits, the UOB ATM had been there for ages....eldery have to use the traffic crossing, go across the road, where the 3 Petrol Stations are....

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You can always check your account balance for fun at an ATM. :wink: