• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Decision Making

kaipoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Take our gangster professor CSJ as eg. his off springs sure learn how to move from a S/D to HDB flat.

For some people there are less thought processes when they decide, their's are done more instinctively for better or for worse.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
From the time open eyes till closes, many decisions must be made daily. What to wear, what to eat, who to makan with, where to chiong, bet on which team etc. What are the dynamics involved?

based on happiness and budget lor; go for choices that bring maximum happiness at lowest budget. Of course with no harm to people.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
True to the extent that these decisions are made for them when they are young

valid on all counts! once the kids start to develop a mind of their own, the parents only guide but not interfere with the decision making process!

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
In Thai there is a word I hate, kraeng-jai. It could means be considerate, courteous, don't hurt anyone, don't embarrass anyone. Sounds good? Taking I to extreme it means running away from problem, avoid confrontation at all cost, procrastination, waiting and waiting for someone to make decision, better not be a smart alec.

Very frustrating.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In Thai there is a word I hate, kraeng-jai. It could means be considerate, courteous, don't hurt anyone, don't embarrass anyone. Sounds good? Taking I to extreme it means running away from problem, avoid confrontation at all cost, procrastination, waiting and waiting for someone to make decision, better not be a smart alec.

Very frustrating.

i see thais protesting....do u see sinkies protesting?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
i see thais protesting....do u see sinkies protesting?

Protest is about politics. This is a different dynamic.

I'm afraid to say this but the longer I live here the more kraeng-jai I become it's like being sucked in. Sad.

NgEjay

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
The inferior man's reasons for hating knowledge are not hard to discern. He hates it because it is complex -- because it puts an unbearable burden upon his meager capacity for taking in ideas. Thus his search is always for short cuts. All superstitions are such short cuts. Their aim is to make the unintelligible simple, and even obvious. So on what seem to be higher levels. No man who has not had a long and arduous education can understand even the most elementary concepts of modern pathology. But even a hind at the plow can grasp the theory of chiropractic in two lessons. Hence the vast popularity of chiropractic among the submerged -- and of osteopathy, Christian Science and other such quackeries with it. They are idiotic, but they are simple -- and every man prefers what he can understand to what puzzles and dismays him.

The popularity of Fundamentalism among the inferior orders of men is explicable in exactly the same way. The cosmogonies that educated men toy with are all inordinately complex. To comprehend their veriest outlines requires an immense stock of knowledge, and a habit of thought. It would be as vain to try to teach to peasants or to the city proletariat as it would be to try to teach them to streptococci. But the cosmogony of Genesis is so simple that even a yokel can grasp it. It is set forth in a few phrases. It offers, to an ignorant man, the irresistible reasonableness of the nonsensical. So he accepts it with loud hosannas, and has one more excuse for hating his betters.

That was excellent. I can accept people in those times accepting hook line and sinker. Indeed many of the traditions preached were practical. For example, women being veiled in a desert. Draining the blood of animals was a good way to prevent catching diseases. But now, wearing a veil in ,say, hawaii? Still draining blood when your meat is tested and you can cook it thoroughly? My god, did these fools even understood why such practices were started in the first place? I repeat again, education is wasted on these morons. Religion does not exist to be an obstacle to knowledge

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The inferior man's reasons for hating knowledge are not hard to discern. He hates it because it is complex -- because it puts an unbearable burden upon his meager capacity for taking in ideas. Thus his search is always for short cuts. All superstitions are such short cuts. Their aim is to make the unintelligible simple, and even obvious. So on what seem to be higher levels. No man who has not had a long and arduous education can understand even the most elementary concepts of modern pathology. But even a hind at the plow can grasp the theory of chiropractic in two lessons. Hence the vast popularity of chiropractic among the submerged -- and of osteopathy, Christian Science and other such quackeries with it. They are idiotic, but they are simple -- and every man prefers what he can understand to what puzzles and dismays him.

The popularity of Fundamentalism among the inferior orders of men is explicable in exactly the same way. The cosmogonies that educated men toy with are all inordinately complex. To comprehend their veriest outlines requires an immense stock of knowledge, and a habit of thought. It would be as vain to try to teach to peasants or to the city proletariat as it would be to try to teach them to streptococci. But the cosmogony of Genesis is so simple that even a yokel can grasp it. It is set forth in a few phrases. It offers, to an ignorant man, the irresistible reasonableness of the nonsensical. So he accepts it with loud hosannas, and has one more excuse for hating his betters.

Proper citation please:

H. L. Mencken on Religion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._L._Mencken

http://books.google.com.sg/books?id=YgY6_ppPrCkC&pg=PA167&lpg=PA167&dq#v=onepage&q&f=false

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
There is a theorem proved by Conway and Cochen, which states that under certain reasonable assumptions, if human beings have free will, then so do elementary particles like leptons and hadrons

Good articles there! Do quantum particles exercise their free will? Appearing and disappearing at will, be at two places at once and being present yet absent at the same time?