• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Audi A4 from USD 35.5k, A7 from USD66K

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maybe it's time to move to the US.

A HDB in Singapore (5room) can buy you a house and car in the US, with cash to spare.
Why am I still here:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
my nephew got his 10 year old Audi for 4k in melbourne.:o

It's a good deal, if you ask me.
In Singapore, you get nothing for your used 10year car and if want to use it further, you need to pay the equivalent of a brand new car price in the US/Australia just to continue to drive your old beat up 10 years old car.

That's the irony.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
apparently, he knew someone from the workshop and has the connections, that's why you can't find any other that's as cheap as his.

It's a good deal, if you ask me.
In Singapore, you get nothing for your used 10year car and if want to use it further, you need to pay the equivalent of a brand new car price in the US/Australia just to continue to drive your old beat up 10 years old car.

That's the irony.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
apparently, he knew someone from the workshop and has the connections, that's why you can't find any other that's as cheap as his.

A friend of mine told me he got his son a Honda Fit in Aussieland for 10 or 12k, can't really recall. It's a new one though.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've been eyeing a R8 for the longest time.....
I can only afford a 5 year old one....finally ready to take the plunge in 1-2 months time.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
that's why i say, cost of living in s'pore and aussieland is about the same if you do the sum, taking into account of high taxes there and insurance you paying here.

A friend of mine told me he got his son a Honda Fit in Aussieland for 10 or 12k, can't really recall. It's a new one though.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you and millions of mexicans, philipinos, china man, iranian etc want to go to USA. But due to the industries moving out of USA, it is harder to make a living there, so cheap car and house does not help if you cannot get a job.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
my nephew got his 10 year old Audi for 4k in melbourne.:o

While I was in Canada I got a 10 year old Toyota Corolla for $3,000 & used it to get around & took several trips touring the east of Canada & US. I eventually sold it for $1,800. Toyotas are maintenance free & hold their value.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
try to do that in sinkieland, buy a car and go around for a week, then sell it off...:biggrin:

While I was in Canada I got a 10 year old Toyota Corolla for $3,000 & used it to get around & took several trips touring the east of Canada & US. I eventually sold it for $1,800. Toyotas are maintenance free & hold their value.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you and millions of mexicans, philipinos, china man, iranian etc want to go to USA. But due to the industries moving out of USA, it is harder to make a living there, so cheap car and house does not help if you cannot get a job.

Many in sinkieland kena edged out by FTs imported by vile pappies also can't find a job.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Who cares about Audi.

This is a much better deal....

printLogo.png

Behind the wheel of the McLaren 650S

By Matt Greenop
11:30 AM Saturday Jul 19, 2014

SCCZEN_1507BLMcLaren650S_18_220x147.jpg

The McLaren machismo is alive and well. Pictures / Brad Lord

It's hard to say anything against the McLaren MP4-12C. In certain parts of New Zealand, if you did it would probably have you burned at the stake as a heretic.

It is a beautiful, fast and extremely capable machine but its successor - the stunning 650S - has taken the fundamentals, added 25 per cent new bits and made what is arguably the car the MP4-12C could have been given time and, of course, money.

<nzh-inline-gallery id="140977" position="right" media-id="15941860">The 650S, just launched in New Zealand in coupe and spider forms, uses the same lightweight, super-strong carbon fibre tub, a tweaked version of the same 3.8-litre, twin-turbo V8 and dual clutch seven-speed gearbox.
</nzh-inline-gallery>

With more time on the engineer's desk, more money to play with the set-up, and more laps in testing, the better things get. This is exactly what has happened.

The most obvious change is the look, bringing it more into line with McLaren's hypercar wunderkind, the P1.

It's ridiculous to be writing about a car that smashes to 200km/h in 8.5 seconds, and then have to refer to it as the "baby". But that is, essentially, what the 650S is. It doesn't cost $1.5 million, either. It's a mere fraction of that with unoptioned machines at
$449,500 for the coupe and $489,500 for this delightful spider.

It certainly takes the scrap to the Italians - something it's Kiwi namesake was quite adept at. As a supercar should be, it's an assault on the senses, pure and simple.

Power comes on almost gently through a tidy clutch set-up that allows enough slip to stop drivers looking like learners when they're, heaven forbid, stuck in traffic. Boost builds so rapidly that as soon as the turbo duo is ready to go, you're headed towards the sunset like a bullet.

McLaren650SBrake.jpg

The legal limit flicks up in just on 3 seconds. It doubles that quickly and, apparently, is capable of a maximum speed of 333km/h. To repeat, yes, it's the baby one.

While some prefer their supermachines to come in straightforward easy-to-drive packages, dripping with technology to make sure nothing comes unstuck, the McLaren machismo is alive and well. The 12C, it could be argued, wasn't quite as lively as it could have been. But that criticism has been put to bed with this car.

As the revs peak in first gear, and the right hand readies for the flick of the paddle to shift up into second, there's a cheeky wiggle from the back that says "go on then, give it a go". So we did.

The big puzzle with cars like this is whether they'll get used - most don't spend time in traffic because they don't like sitting still.

Although the McLaren is reasonably tractable in urban situations, it's like taking a Bren gun to an armwrestle. And without ticking the boxes for parking sensors and reversing cameras, it's risky.

The absolute must-have is the vehicle lifter, activated from a stalk next to the steering wheel, which pushes the body skyward by the couple of inches needed to avoid judder-bar damage or bruising that pretty face by scraping into driveways.

Get out on the motorway and it's hard not to feel a tingle of anticipation as the engine happily burbles along in top gear, carrying only a few revs, keen for some curly country roads away from rubberneckers and revenue-gatherers.

McLaren650SStatic.jpg

Supercars aren't built for our roads. Not that there's nowhere to exploit their potential -- although that would be naughty -- but the outright quality is patchy. Potholes, dicky cambers, crumbling edges and sharp dips all wait to claim a slice of someone's ever-so-pricey pride and joy. So when we saw the back of beyond appear in front it was with a degree of trepidation that the power was let loose. With a dry-sumped 32-valve DOHC V8 and its twin hairdryers, the award-winning M838T engine has no shortage of power -- it delivers 478kW at 7250rpm, screaming all the way. The 678Nm on tap between 3000 and 7000rpm isn't dumbed down by the traction and stability controls, although the ProActive chassis control keeps things in good order.

Weighing just 1330kg, the car maintains a firm grip on the road -- soaking up dents and divots with ease. It's rare to get a big bump back through the steering, which is surprising considering the 235/35/19s tyres at front (305/30/20 at the back). While the rack is extremely direct, and the suspension very solid, it never smashes into your hands. This is true in the normal, sport and track dynamics modes; although it doesn't have the magic-carpet feel of the 12C, with its hydraulically controlled suspension, it is arguably the perfect set-up, with plenty of feel and balance.

And the proof is in the play. The 650S is best treated in the fast-in/fast-out manner, especially considering the row of zeros on the insurance papers. Once the monster carbon ceramic brakes have warmed through, it's a case of jumping on the anchors to pull up in time -- on paper it will stop from 100km/h in 28.5m -- picking a decent line and giving it heaps. The back may try to pick a fight, but the direct steering makes beating it back into submission relatively easy.

McLaren650SInterior.jpg

The alcantara-wrapped cockpit is functional and clean, housing a touch-screen infotainment interface that looks like a smartphone.

As the right hand taps through super-slick changes, active aeros come on line to keep the car stable. When it's time to slap down a cog or two, the big airbrake pops up to stop it as stably as possible.

Interiors in supercars tend to leap from the bizarre to the ridiculous -- some beautiful, most complicated and the occasional one just plain comedy. McLaren has made an effort to keep the alcantara-wrapped cockpit functional and clean, avoiding insane touches. From centre dash to centre console is barely a hands-width, housing a touch-screen infotainment interface that looks like a smartphone. It runs Google's Android operating system. Phone, audio and nav functions are as simple and usable as you'd want them. Opening and closing the spider's folding roof is fast and painless. It's hard to know where to criticise this car, especially at this price. Sure, it's not as rapid as the P1 -- but there's only three of those allotted to New Zealand and they've been sold. The next generation of hypercar like the P1, La Ferrari, Porsche 918 will see fire-breathing lightweight supercars like this confined to the "good old days" file. The 275g of C02/km won't be acceptable in the EU in the coming decade, so the 650S' noise and emotion will fade to a whisper.

McLaren650SstaticRear.jpg

If you have a lazy half-million lying around, you'd probably be doing yourself a huge disservice by not grabbing the best seat and heading for WopWop.

By Matt Greenop
- NZ Herald

Copyright ©2014, APN New Zealand Limited