• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

the current political leadership

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My sense is that 2 factors derailed the system. One is depending on the scholar pipeline and ignoring the rest of society and the second is the 2 year posting system and the accelerated program of promotion. It allowed many to game the system and potential leaders are not identified or leave.

GCT batch was quite alright as they had worked for the first generation and they had strong anchors or role models to follow.

I remember the first generation of leaders were the first to identify the problems before the public became aware. Flood relief work, building tourism and manufacturing, the service industry etc.

The pioneer leaders helped PAP cement its reputation as a provider of all things good whether economic or social. The growth was shared by all strata of society. Leongsam's tale of his journey from a village of 50 sharing communal buckets to modern HDB sanitation was certainly no exaggeration and the pioneer generation will affirm that.

There were other factors leading to the rot. Lack of a free press, absence of political opposition and rule by the strong arm of the law made the PAP complacent. This in turn caused the dogma of yesteryears to become entrenched, making fundamental political change difficult. Another result is that the lower rungs of the political hierarchy operate like civil servants who have no clue about the political angle, whilst the upper rungs operate in an insular environment with closed walls aka ivory tower.

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In those days gone by, there were the capable old guards helping LKY to run the country but after they retired, things started to change. Today, the leadership is a disappointment.

They did not retire on their own wishes. It was the old bastard who schemed to eliminate them all.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
leehsienloongpointingfingers_zpsefb36004.jpg

I am the Leeder and I need more dogs, not leaders. You Stinkee better get your priorities right. OK? *chey*

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
They weren't really helping LKY to run the country, rather they were keeping LKY personal ambitions in check.

When they died off one by one, slowly but surely LKY reverted to his dictatorial instincts. After all, this was a person who had once tried to become the prime minister of Malaysia. He was crying on black and white tv not because he was afraid for Singapore's future; rather, he was dismayed at his personal ambitions being dealt a blow.

Politics brings out both the best and the worst in men. Unfortunately for us all, we have to live with the worst that LKY is and was.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I recall that he began talking about rejuvenation and renewal with MPs and Ministers. Many were upsets especially MPs who had to make way for young scholars and non party candidates. After all his political peers retired, comments about rejuvenation and renewal came to end. Imagine an MP at age 91 yet has the all the trappings of a Prime Minister.

They did not retire on their own wishes. It was the old bastard who schemed to eliminate them all.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Senior Counsel, Attorney-General, High Court, Yong Pung How, Justices Law Clerk.

Senior Counsel - another scheme to reward PAP sycophants
Attorney General - the legal gestapo of the PAP
High Court - kangaroo court
Yong Pung How - one of the top sychophants and well rewarded; retired with million dollar pension
Justice Law Clerk - ??????? for you to define

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Singapore in its infancy had GKS, Rajaratnam, Toh chin chye, etc, and each had both the brains as well as the kind of leadership needed in those days. If leaders should suit the times, our leaders are sorely lacking. The current crop are followers not leaders. They lack the ability or willingness to connect with the ground. They lack empathy, decisiveness and moral courage. They feed off the past fruits sown by the previous generation. They command neither respect nor admiration. Their bevy of cronies and Paul Lampards do nothing but cloud their vision and befuddle their minds.

They passed the "tea party" test.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
high tea? sounds like they are having their cake and eating it.

On the contrary there are lots of sacrifices that have to be made.

They earn less, they lose their privacy and have to be on their toes at all times as they'll be under constant public scrutiny.

I wouldn't become a politician for all the money in the world.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
wonder how much was Wong Kan Seng earning as a teacher back then :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wong Kan Seng is an altruistic character. He was quite happy with a teacher's salary even though he knew he had a much higher earning potential.

His area of expertise was in set theory... a complex branch of mathematics that many find challenging.

NgEjay

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Wong Kan Seng is an altruistic character. He was quite happy with a teacher's salary even though he knew he had a much higher earning potential.

His area of expertise was in set theory... a complex branch of mathematics that many find challenging.

Set theory indeed. I remember taking two courses from Prof Chong Chi Tat in grad school and those were the two hardest courses I had ever done. I am happy Wong Kan Seng shares my passion for set theory. I would love to hear his opinion on Woodin and Supercompact Cardinals. In fact, he is my MP so perhaps after MPS today (Tuesday) we can discuss.