• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dual Citizenship website / directory

nicolewong

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those unclear about dual citizenship in Singapore, here is a website with information on dual citizenship.

In general:

SINGAPORE

DUAL CITIZENSHIP
: NOT RECOGNIZED. Exception: Child born abroad of Singaporean parents, who acquires the citizenship of the country of birth, may maintain dual citizenship until the age of 21 years. Then the person has 12 months to take the Oath of Allegiance and Loyalty and renounce the foreign citizenship, or their Singaporean citizenship will be revoked.

More information:

http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws_SINGAPORE.html

http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws_MALAYSIA.html

http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws_INDONESIA.html

http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws_THAILAND.html

http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws_VIETNAM.html

http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws_CAMBODIA.html

http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws_CHINA.html

http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws_AUSTRALIA.html

http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws_NEW_ZEALAND.html

http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws_USA.html

http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws_UNITED_KINGDOM.html

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no law that prohibits a Singaporean from acquiring or holding onto dual or multiple citizenship. The Government or the official state organs or even state controlled specified or identified such a law. Since there is no such law, the government has no business recognising or not recognising dual or multiple citizenship. It however has made it clear that it does not encourage it.

No one has ever been prosecuted or changed in court for possession of dual citizenship because there is no such law.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I do not remember Singapore govt having caught not following its own Singapore laws.
Caught Australian govt not following the laws several times regarding immigration.

You can voluntarily renounce or get expelled. No need to go to court unless the person want to challenge the govt to get the citizenship back. For a citizenship that only exist since 1965, open to foreigners and has no oil & energy reserves, I doubt any suddenly ex-singaporeans will want to be the first to challenge the Singapore court of confuciusly appointed injustice.

LOSS OF CITIZENSHIP:

VOLUNTARY
: Voluntary renunciation of citizenship is permitted by law for all citizens over the age of 21. Contact the Singaporean Embassy for details and appropriate paperwork. Required submissions include proof of new citizenship, birth certificate, identity card, and passport.

INVOLUNTARY
: The following are grounds for involuntary loss of Singaporean citizenship: Person over age 22 has voluntarily acquired new citizenship. Naturalized citizenship was obtained through fraud. Naturalized citizen has lived over 5 years in a foreign country.,

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
INVOLUNTARY: The following are grounds for involuntary loss of Singaporean citizenship: Person over age 22 has voluntarily acquired new citizenship. Naturalized citizenship was obtained through fraud. Naturalized citizen has lived over 5 years in a foreign country.,

So, alot of Ah Tiongs who went back to China can be stripped of their sinkee citizenship! Why is the government not doing that?

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no law that prohibits a Singaporean from acquiring or holding onto dual or multiple citizenship. The Government or the official state organs or even state controlled specified or identified such a law. Since there is no such law, the government has no business recognising or not recognising dual or multiple citizenship. It however has made it clear that it does not encourage it.

No one has ever been prosecuted or changed in court for possession of dual citizenship because there is no such law.
hahaha...scroobye, despite all the evidence you still insist on your claims....
u really have a thick hide....

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha...scroobye, despite all the evidence you still insist on your claims....
u really have a thick hide....

You are truly retarded. You said wikipedia is not a source of authority, yet you consider the link given by TS as evidence? Slap yr own cheebye face?

mei mei

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do not remember Singapore govt having caught not following its own Singapore laws.
Caught Australian govt not following the laws several times regarding immigration.

You can voluntarily renounce or get expelled. No need to go to court unless the person want to challenge the govt to get the citizenship back. For a citizenship that only exist since 1965, open to foreigners and has no oil & energy reserves, I doubt any suddenly ex-singaporeans will want to be the first to challenge the Singapore court of confuciusly appointed injustice.

LOSS OF CITIZENSHIP:

VOLUNTARY
: Voluntary renunciation of citizenship is permitted by law for all citizens over the age of 21. Contact the Singaporean Embassy for details and appropriate paperwork. Required submissions include proof of new citizenship, birth certificate, identity card, and passport.

INVOLUNTARY: The following are grounds for involuntary loss of Singaporean citizenship: Person over age 22 has voluntarily acquired new citizenship. Naturalized citizenship was obtained through fraud. Naturalized citizen has lived over 5 years in a foreign country.,

When a person acquires a new citizenship, he will involuntary lose his Singapore citizenship. So that means it is not possible to keep both citizenships. What is unclear is naturalized citizen (Singaporeans who obtained citizenship through naturalization) who live over 5 years in a foreign country (last point of the Involuntary section). Do they lose Singapore citizenship even if they did not acquire a new citizenship but lived over 5 years in a foreign country?

mei mei

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are truly retarded. You said wikipedia is not a source of authority, yet you consider the link given by TS as evidence? Slap yr own cheebye face?

LOSS OF CITIZENSHIP:

VOLUNTARY
: Voluntary renunciation of citizenship is permitted by law for all citizens over the age of 21.
Contact the Singaporean Embassy for details and appropriate paperwork. Required submissions include proof of new citizenship, birth certificate, identity card, and passport.

Valid point, the site is not source of authority but the information in the site regarding dual citizenship can be verified with the Singapore government or Singapore Embassy as pointed out by the site itself.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha....what wikepdia source....
this was answered in Parliament by TCH and reported in ST....
truly retarded!!!!!!!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't get fooled by this. The laws gives the government ample powers to do many things and even detain a man for 32 years without trial.

There is no law prohibiting the acquiring of another citizenship. They simply cannot take it away unless you did something to the country and they have to prove it.

These kinds of statements are meant to fool the peasants.

The government has been careful to use words like "not recognise", "does not encourage" etc. All these years they have never stated that it is an offence. And no one has been charged. Because it is not an offence.

When a person acquires a new citizenship, he will involuntary lose his Singapore citizenship. So that means it is not possible to keep both citizenships. What is unclear is naturalized citizen (Singaporeans who obtained citizenship through naturalization) who live over 5 years in a foreign country (last point of the Involuntary section). Do they lose Singapore citizenship even if they did not acquire a new citizenship but lived over 5 years in a foreign country?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If a Sinkee marries a foreigner, can be dual citizen.

Stinkapore Constitution

Section 134. Deprivation of citizenship on acquisition of foreign citizenship

(1) The Government may, by order, deprive a citizen of Singapore of his citizenship if the Government is satisfied that

1. he has, while of or over the age of 18 years, at any time after 6th April 1960 acquired by registration, naturalisation or other voluntary and formal act (other than marriage) the citizenship of any country outside Singapore or having so acquired such citizenship before the age of 18 years continues to retain it after that age; or
  2. the citizen, being a woman who is a citizen of Singapore by registration under Article 123 (2), has acquired the citizenship of any country outside Singapore by virtue of her marriage to a person who is not a citizen of Singapore.
(2) Where the Government has made an order under this Article depriving a citizen of Singapore of his citizenship, he shall cease to be a citizen with effect from the date of the order

Last edited:

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
DUAL CITIZENSHIP: NOT RECOGNIZED. Exception: Child born abroad of Singaporean parents, who acquires the citizenship of the country of birth, may maintain dual citizenship until the age of 21 years. Then the person has 12 months to take the Oath of Allegiance and Loyalty and renounce the foreign citizenship, or their Singaporean citizenship will be revoked.

A question for you Immigration experts out there.

If the above individual chooses not to renounce his foreign citizenship (and by default has his Singaporean citizenship revoked), is he considered to be a NS defaulter or just a foreigner when he next tries to enter Singapore?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A question for you Immigration experts out there.

If the above individual chooses not to renounce his foreign citizenship (and by default has his Singaporean citizenship revoked), is he considered to be a NS defaulter or just a foreigner when he next tries to enter Singapore?

While the expert is not here, my common sense tells me that he can't be a NS defaulter if the govt revoke his citizenship.

Got NS enlistment letter or not!

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
While the expert is not here, my common sense tells me that he can't be a NS defaulter if the govt revoke his citizenship.

Got NS enlistment letter or not!

Yes, I tend to agree but if he can maintain dual citizenship up to the age of 21 as described above, he would probably have received in enlistment papers when he was maybe 16/17?
In which case, can he say to MINDEF, "When I reach 21 I'll let you know whether I'll come back for NS or renounce my Singapore citizenship".

Somehow I think such a response will cut no ice with MINDEF and would look for a decision much earlier, possibly when he turns 18.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, I tend to agree but if he can maintain dual citizenship up to the age of 21 as described above, he would probably have received in enlistment papers when he was maybe 16/17?
In which case, can he say to MINDEF, "When I reach 21 I'll let you know whether I'll come back for NS or renounce my Singapore citizenship".

Somehow I think such a response will cut no ice with MINDEF and would look for a decision much earlier, possibly when he turns 18.

not an expert here, but know of cases which fit your line of questions. one american-born has his sg citizenship revoked at 22 by default when he did not submit any application for renunciation. ica requested a few times for notarized proof of oath-compliance, but he did not sign. luckily his dad complied with his son's ns deferment procedures 6 years ago, and mindef has no beef with him. he (the son) can travel to sg on a u.s. passport without hassle.

i would think if his dad did not comply with the deferment process, he (the son) would be prevented from setting foot in sg unmolested.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
not an expert here, but know of cases which fit your line of questions. one american-born has his sg citizenship revoked at 22 by default when he did not submit any application for renunciation. ica requested a few times for notarized proof of oath-compliance, but he did not sign. luckily his dad complied with his son's ns deferment procedures 6 years ago, and mindef has no beef with him. he (the son) can travel to sg on a u.s. passport without hassle.

i would think if his dad did not comply with the deferment process, he (the son) would be prevented from setting foot in sg unmolested.

Can I trade my sinkee citizenship for your Yankee citizenship? You hate Obama, I don't mind him at all. :biggrin:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can I trade my sinkee citizenship for your Yankee citizenship? You hate Obama, I don't mind him at all. :biggrin:

he has only 2 years to go before his term ends.....and about as lame duck as one possibly can be. you can always join the u.s. military and have u.s. citizenship conferred upon you during active service. :p