• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Several LINE accounts hacked, contacts tricked into buying gift cards

ZhuRong

Alfrescian
Loyal

Updated: 07/31/2014 21:45 | By Channel NewsAsia

Several LINE accounts hacked, contacts tricked into buying gift cards

8938C104E1E4D852C158AC0D8B9CB.jpg

SINGAPORE: Several users of a mobile messaging application called LINE have made police reports after finding themselves entangled in a scam.

These users reportedly had their accounts hacked into.Their contacts were tricked into buying iTunes gift cards after receiving messages purportedly sent by the users.

One victim of the scam told Channel NewsAsia: "I went into my Line account and tried to change my password and email address, but I couldn't do it as the hacker had actually embedded his email address in it. So I decided to send messages one by one to all my friends to warn them to block my nick from their Line account. And they replied saying that they have received such a message from me."

In July alone, 15 such cases have been reported to the police. In the worst case, a victim was cheated of some $3,000.

- CNA/xy