• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sungei Rd Flea Market to Make Way for Ass Loon's 6.9M FTrash Plan

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ST_20140731_MZSUNGEI319WJW_537674e.jpg

The Sungei Road flea market, which is open daily from 1pm to 7pm, draws tourists, foreign workers and locals. At least 70 per cent of the peddlers are between 60 and 80 years old. -- PHOTO: LIM YAOHUI FOR THE STRAITS TIMES

<cite>Quote:</cite>By Melody Zaccheus

Around eight decades of history seem set to come to an end for Sungei Road flea market.

As it has to make way for the Sungei Road MRT station, due to open in 2017, an association representing its 200 traders had suggested relocating to one of four alternative sites nearby.

However, the National Environment Agency (NEA) has rejected this - and not given it any explanation. When asked, NEA referred The Straits Times to the Urban Redevelopment Authority, which said the four sites have been zoned for parks and residential use under Master Plan 2014. They are next to Rochor River, at Kampong Bugis along Kallang River, behind Sim Lim Tower and a roadside near Jalan Kubor Malay cemetery.

The president of the Association for the Recycling of Second Hand Goods, Mr Koh Ah Koon, 73, received a letter from the NEA informing him of the decision last week. He passed on the bad news to members at a meeting on Monday. "Shutting down the market will mean taking away a source of income for many elderly folk here," he said. "Most of us have little education or are illiterate."
- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/si...et-will-have-go-20140731#sthash.wJV7DW9E.dpuf

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
The NEA is making a terrible mistake in not consulting with the NHB to preserve or relocate this cultural icon of ours.

it would be easy to locate the market within one of the parks that have been planned for under the master plan. but no one in the NEA is willing to stick their neck out to save the market.

what a pity.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Heh... and the Tourism Board minions have a page promoting the Sungei Road market. :rolleyes:

http://www.yoursingapore.com/conten...-knick-knacks/sungei-road-thieves-market.html

From 2011:

Sungei Road project "must be treated with sensitivity"
http://news.asiaone.com/print/News/AsiaOne+News/Singapore/Story/A1Story20110729-291786.html

Red brick National Library, Bidadari cemetery, Pearl's Centre, Rochor Centre, Lavender Food Square, Yishun Bottle Tree Park and now the Sungei Road market.

How many more casualties must be claimed to pursue the madness of the Population White Paper? :mad:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
MND/LTA has always been high-handed when it comes to resettlement and road planning. Look at the old national Library, what has replaced it now - a useless piece of asphalt that they could have run a detour and saved the mounment.

Now this. Why is it that they cannot even reroute a little and save big time on our history. Fooking pen-pushers hiding and planning in vacuo in their aircon offices to the oblivion of the big picture? In the end, we again moan the loss of our roots and create more artificial erections which are tasteless in architectural value and meaningless to everyone.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sungei Road has long lost its color some 10 years ago when the pappies chup one leg and started to regulate it.
Now its just a place where Banglas frequent....

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
MND/LTA has always been high-handed when it comes to resettlement and road planning. Look at the old national Library, what has replaced it now - a useless piece of asphalt that they could have run a detour and saved the mounment.

Now this. Why is it that they cannot even reroute a little and save big time on our history. Fooking pen-pushers hiding and planning in vacuo in their aircon offices to the oblivion of the big picture? In the end, we again moan the loss of our roots and create more artificial erections which are tasteless in architectural value and meaningless to everyone.

The red brick library was just a pawn in the grander scheme of things: the govt selling land to SMU to make Singapore an 'education hub'. Additional universities exist primarily to earn money from foreign students (notice the aggressive marketing of tertiary education and scholarships in other countries).

The PAP govt is money-minded, but lacks wisdom. A lack of wisdom ultimately brings destruction.

“Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.”
― Cree Indian Prophecy

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
9707350931_7971902106_b.jpg

9707386575_6d8e8ef499_b.jpg

Strong recommendation. Was $1 per bowl when i was young.
http://www.misstamchiak.com/sungei-road-laksa/

This is my favouritest of all.
This would be my last meal if I can choose.
Started off selling at 50 cents actually.
Kopishop next to ice factory always packed....many with bowl in hand squat over longkang outside to enjoy their laksa.
Now at present location price is $2.50 but still the bestest.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kopishop next to ice factory always packed....many with bowl in hand squat over longkang outside to enjoy their laksa.

50cents? Good brother, you are certainly RUN's senior.
the soup-base contains many grounded dried shrimps + ultra fresh cockles.
I always take two bowls when i go there

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
50cents? Good brother, you are certainly RUN's senior.
the soup-base contains many grounded dried shrimps + ultra fresh cockles.
I always take two bowls when i go there

Mr Run, me only senior in age hehe.
Actually the laksa brothers started selling from tricycle stalls in the 50s (this before my time even).
And back then there were 2 rival tricycles selling laksa, both had their share of fans....

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr Run, me only senior in age hehe.
Actually the laksa brothers started selling from tricycle stalls in the 50s (this before my time even).
And back then there were 2 rival tricycles selling laksa, both had their share of fans....

Wah, I am impressed with your oral history.

RUN's uncle first brought him there; told him stories of truckloads of construction workers patronizing the stalls whenever they passed by that area.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[video=youtube;rrtfQV8ggTs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrtfQV8ggTs[/video]

Population White Paper.

Remember this when you vote next time.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wah, I am impressed with your oral history.

RUN's uncle first brought him there; told him stories of truckloads of construction workers patronizing the stalls whenever they passed by that area.

Sungei road was a colourful busting place back in the days. Nothing like what it is today.
People from all over Sg like to go there especially on Sunday morning.
Many things were sold there next to the 2nd hand stuff (usually stolen hence the name).
You can find practically anything there for sale and eat your breakfast in the open next to the river/canal.

Oracle

Alfrescian
Loyal

Are you a Henghua lang?

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal
"What's wrong with collecting more money?", Lee Kuan Yew

quotation from Mr Ngiam Tong Dow, former head of the Civil Service, taken from the interview featured in the September 2013 issue of the Singapore Medical Association Newsletter:

“I have always been outspoken. When I was Permanent Secretary to then Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew, he invited me for lunch twice a year, only the two of us. He was always a perfect gentleman. He once said, “Ngiam, we’re not having lunch today as Prime Minister and Permanent Secretary. We’re both intellectual equals. You can tell me what you think, and I’ll tell you what I think.” Those were very robust conversations.

One of these conversations involved the Certificate of Entitlement (COE) scheme. I had a big fight with him over this because the implementation of the COE scheme meant that we were taxing every man, woman and child in Singapore, from the day of his birth till the day of his death. As COE taxes transportation, nobody can avoid it. You can avoid eating good durians, but you cannot avoid using transportation. He saw that I was right, but he was a charmer. Looking at me, he asked, “Ngiam, are you the Permanent Secretary of the Budget and Revenue Divisions at MOF?” I said yes, to which he replied, “What’s wrong with collecting more money?””