• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Serie A Season 2014-15 ║

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Inter´s Juan and Fiorentina´s Savic receive four-match bans

7 January 2015

768517header.jpg

Inter's Juan Jesus and Fiorentina defender Stefan Savic have received four-match bans after elbowing opponents.

Juan was not punished by match officials following a first-half clash with Giorgio Chiellini during Inter's 1-1 draw with Serie A champions Juventus on Tuesday.

However, the Brazilian has now been sanctioned by Lega Serie A for "violent conduct", with video evidence showing he had made contact with Chiellini in a crowded penalty area.

Juan was handed a three-match ban for that offence and will also miss a further game after being shown a fourth yellow card of the season later in the same game.

Savic has been handed the same punishment as a result of his late dismissal in Fiorentina's 1-0 loss at Parma, as well as also receiving a fourth booking of the campaign.

The Montenegro defender received a red card for elbowing Antonio Cassano and now faces a lengthy spell on the sidelines.

Cesena were also punished by the Italian league's governing body on Wednesday.

Serie A's bottom club have been fined €15,000 for "insulting chants based on territorial origin" during their 4-1 defeat to Napoli.

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A Preview: Roma primed for derby, Juve out to defend narrow lead

8 January 2015

768778header.jpg

Roma could move 12 points clear of arch-rivals Lazio in Serie A with victory in the Derby della Capitale on Sunday.

Rudi Garcia's men currently sit a point adrift of league leaders Juventus, having closed the gap with a 1-0 midweek victory at Udinese.

The Rome derby - one of the fiercest rivalries in European football - highlights this weekend's action and gives Roma a chance to climb above the defending champions - if only briefly ahead of Juve's meeting with Napoli later on Sunday.

Garcia's side will also revel in the chance to put real daylight between themselves and their neighbours and defender Davide Astori knows his side are entering a crucial period of the campaign.

"Now the fun begins, because we have closed the gap on the top of the table," he is quoted as telling Radio Roma.

"Every point now becomes important, not decisive, but really something to think about. On Sunday we have the first opportunity to go above Juventus.

"We have the ability to be a great team, we need results such as the ones which could occur on Sunday to boost our confidence."

Lazio are without are derby win in Serie A since November 2012, but did beat their arch-rivals in the 2013 Coppa Italia final.

Juve, meanwhile, will be eager to bounce back from their 1-1 home draw against Inter in midweek but face tricky opposition in fourth-placed Napoli.

Rafael Benitez's hosts come into the fixture fresh from back-to-back victories in the league, the latest a 4-1 thrashing of Cesena.

Sandwiched between those two Serie A triumphs was a Supercoppa victory over Juve on penalties in a game played in Qatar.

Genoa and Sampdoria currently sit three points adrift of the top four and face Inter and Empoli respectively this weekend.

Gianfranco Zola's start to life as Cagliari boss ended in an emphatic 5-0 defeat to Palermo on Tuesday, but the former Azzurri striker will have another chance to get off the mark in an important relegation clash with Cesena.

Basement club Cesena are currently three points adrift of Cagliari, but would pull level with a win at Stadio Sant'Elia.

Second-bottom Parma are at Verona, while struggling Atalanta and Chievo meet at Stadio Atleti Azzurri d'Italia.

Sassuolo will be looking to follow up a memorable scalp at Milan with victory at home to Udinese on Saturday, and Torino host Filippo Inzaghi's side on the same day.

In Sunday's remaining fixture, ninth faces eighth as Fiorentina play host to Palermo.

Vidal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Inter agree Shaqiri deal

8 January 2015

768927header.jpg

Inter have reached an agreement to sign attacker Xherdan Shaqiri from Bayern Munich.

The Switzerland international, who joined Bayern from Basel in 2012, had been heavily linked with a move away from the Allianz Arena.

Premier League sides Liverpool and Stoke City were credited with an interest in Shaqiri, a player restricted to just five starts for Bayern this season.

However, Inter have won the race for his signature, with the Serie A club confirming on their official Twitter account that a deal has been agreed.

A post read: "#Inter and @FCBayern agree terms for @XS_11official. Just the paperwork to be signed"

While the formalities of the transfer are still to be completed, the move is set to come as a significant boost to an Inter side that has struggled in the Italian top flight this season.

Inter sit 11th in Serie A, five points adrift of a European place, although they did display substantial resolve in fighting back to claim a 1-1 draw with leaders Juventus on Tuesday.

Shaqiri's prospective transfer follows Arsenal forward Lukas Podolski's loan move to Inter, the German making his debut against Juve.

In his time at Bayern, Shaqiri has won the Bundesliga and DFB-Pokal twice as well as the UEFA Champions League in 2013.

While Shaqiri has been a peripheral figure for Bayern this season, he continues to serve as an important player for his country.

He was named man of the match in Switzerland's 2-1 win over Ecuador in their opening match of the 2014 World Cup and then scored a hat-trick against Honduras to make sure of his country's place in the last 16, before Ottmar Hitzfeld's side were knocked out by Argentina.

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Inter still one of the greatest clubs - Podolski

9 January 2015

769217header.jpg

Inter loan signing Lukas Podolski believes the mid-table Serie A outfit are still among the world's 10 greatest clubs.

Podolski has joined Roberto Mancini's side on loan from Arsenal until the end of the season as they target the Champions League.

Inter have endured a couple of difficult seasons, and 2014-15 has been no different with the 18-time league champions sitting 11th.

But Germany international Podolski believes Inter still deserve to be considered among the world's best.

"For me Inter belongs to the 10 greatest in the world," he said on Thursday.

"They had success in the more recent past, 2010, when Inter won the treble, the Champions League.

"If you know what legends have played here then you know what club this is. Serie A still is a top league. Of course Premier League and Bundesliga are a bit better at the moment, they have improved the last years.

"But Serie A still is a top league in Europe, with top teams. Therefore I'm happy to be here, especially here at Inter, because Inter still is a top club. I came here to help that Inter improve."

Podolski made his Inter debut on Tuesday, coming off the bench in their 1-1 draw at Juventus.

The 29-year-old said the season's goals were to get Inter into the Champions League, despite his team sitting eight points behind third-placed Lazio.

"Of course our aim is to play next season in Champions League, that's the aim of us, of the coach, of the club, and my aim too, and I will give my best to reach this aim," Podolski said.

"The difference of points is not so much, we have to win our games, and if we win our games we can reach this aim."

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Inzaghi to show patience with Cerci

9 January 2015

769528header.jpg

Milan head coach Filippo Inzaghi has asked for new arrival Alessio Cerci to be given time to build up his match fitness.

Forward Cerci moved to San Siro on an 18-month loan deal from Atletico Madrid last week.

The Italy international made his debut from the substitutes bench as Milan resumed Serie A action following the mid-season break in last Tuesday's 2-1 loss to Sassuolo.

Despite that disappointing defeat, Inzaghi has no intention of rushing the former Torino man into the starting XI against his former club on Saturday.

"Cerci improves day by day, but I must not be hasty," Inzaghi said.

"He has not played for three months so you have to have patience."

Defeat to Sassuolo was Milan's fourth in Serie A this term and left the club five points adrift of the UEFA Champions League places.

And Inzaghi has called on the team to respond in a positive manner in Turin.

"I do not get excited after big games and I do not get depressed after this [loss to Sassuolo]," he added.

"We have to make this change, and tomorrow will be a test because it will not be easy against Torino.

"The best answer is on the pitch tomorrow. We need all our strikers and I try to use them all."

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kovacic extends Inter deal

9 January 2015

769541header.jpg

Mateo Kovacic has extended his contract at Inter until 2019.

The Croatia international moved to the Serie A outfit from Dinamo Zagreb two years ago and has since made 62 league appearances in the Italian top flight.

Kovacic has netted seven goals in all competitions so far this season, but was shown a straight red card in the 1-1 draw with Juventus on Tuesday for a dangerous challenge on Stephan Lichtsteiner.

There was better news for Kovacic on Friday, however, as it was announced he had agreed terms on an extended deal.

"I thank the president and the club for the opportunity," Kovacic said.

"They are beautiful things and we hope to continue on this path. I am very happy for the renewal."

Head coach Roberto Mancini, meanwhile, believes the 20-year-old can go on to achieve great things at Inter.

"It's a great investment by Inter," he said. "I think he can improve a lot.

"He can become a great midfielder. We're happy to have him here."

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Inzaghi desperate for Milan turnaround

11 January 2015

770240header.jpg

Milan coach Filippo Inzaghi is unsure what is behind his team's slow start to 2015, after a 1-1 draw at Torino.

Jeremy Menez's third-minute penalty had Milan on track in Turin on Saturday, but Kamil Glik levelled late on for the hosts.

Mattia De Sciglio was sent off for Milan late in the first half, hampering their chances of victory.

It means Inzaghi's men are winless in two games since the Serie A break, and he said only hard work could get his seventh-placed team's season back on track.

"Every match is important to us and it’s positive that we’re going to be playing again right away," Inzaghi told a media conference.

"We have the chance to be the Milan side that competed with the best such as Napoli and Roma.

"I don’t know the reasons why, we’re not the same side as we were before the winter break. I only know one way to get back on track: work.

"The spirit is good, as otherwise we wouldn’t be able to defend for 50 minutes without running big risks in defence."

Menez was dragged down for the early penalty and converted, before the game swung when De Sciglio picked up his second yellow card.

And Glik headed in Bruno Peres' late corner to secure a point for Torino.

Inzaghi said it was tough to blame his players after the sending off of De Sciglio.

"We started well, we pressed Torino high up. We should have made it 2-0," he said.

"Once we started to suffer their counter-attacks, we dropped back a bit too much.

"Then, we went down to 10 men and from then on I cannot blame the players for anything.

"We conceded a goal from a dead-ball situation and when you concede from a corner kick it is never a positive thing."

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Garcia´s gesture of ´unity´ after France terror attacks

10 January 2015

769893header.jpg

Roma boss Rudi Garcia used his pre-match press conference on Saturday to show unity with his countrymen after the Paris terror attacks.

The events that unfolded during and after the shootings at satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo this week have shocked those in France and beyond, with solidarity marches planned across Europe on Sunday.

French coach Garcia is among those to have been deeply affected by the tragedy, and he used his media briefing ahead of Roma's clash with Lazio to offer his support to a grieving nation.

Garcia had a sign reading 'Je Suis Charlie' in front of his microphone and presented each of the assembled journalists with a pencil in a gesture supporting press freedom.

The former Lille and Saint-Etienne coach added: "I am French and in mourning. I want to express my solidarity to my country.

"We must be united at this time.

"For this I give to you journalists a pencil."

Juventus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cagliari set to capture Cop

11 January 2015

770358header.jpg

Dinamo Zagreb have revealed that their leading scorer Duje Cop has agreed to join Serie A strugglers Cagliari.

Croatia international Cop has scored 15 goals in all competitons this season after finding the back of the net 33 times in the 2013-14 campaign.

The 24-year-old's outstanding form caught the attention of Cagliari, and Dinamo revealed on Sunday that Cop is set to link up with Gianfranco Zola's side.

Cop told Dinamo's official website: "I have mixed feelings: I am happy and proud, but also a little sad.

"I spent a wonderful two years here. I developed as a player and as a man, and I want to thank all the coaches and team-mates for beautiful experiences.

"On the other hand, after two and a half years I wanted to try something new, and the Italian league and Cagliari are certainly a great challenge and I cannot wait to join the new club."

Cop has two caps for his country, the most recent coming in a 2-1 defeat against Argentina in November.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Photo finish: Totti takes selfie after scoring Roma equaliser

805232_heroa.jpg

Jan 11, 2015 16:00:00

The veteran forward, who became the top goalscorer in Rome derbies in Serie A history on Sunday, grabbed a phone and celebrated with fans at the Stadio Olimpico

Francesco Totti celebrated his Roma equaliser against Lazio in modern style by grabbing a phone and taking a selfie.

Lazio had taken a two-goal lead into the second half but veteran attacker Totti had given the Giallorossi hope with a strike shorttly after the break, putting in substitute Kevin Strootman's teasing pass to the back post.

However, his second goal was even more eye-catching: the 38-year-old acrobatically converted a cross from an acute angle to level the scoreline at the Stadio Olimpico with two-thirds of the game gone.

Totti, who is now the all-time top goalscorer in Serie A Rome derbies, celebrated by grabbing a mobile phone from a bystander and taking a selfie with jubilant Roma fans in the Curva Sud the background - proving that you can teach an old dog new tricks!

B7FF8FtCYAEYm16.jpg

#RomaLazio LIVE: TOTTI! pic.twitter.com/svRvM5KudC
— AS Roma (@OfficialASRoma) January 11, 2015

The Rome derby ultimately finished 2-2, with Stefano Mauri and Felipe Anderson's goals early in the game enough to give Lazio a share of the spoils, despite Roma's comeback.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lopez joins Torino

13 January 2015

771414header.jpg

Torino have confirmed the signing of Maxi Lopez from Serie A rivals Chievo on a permanent deal.

The Argentinian has had a somewhat nomadic career in recent times, with short spells at various clubs in Italy's top flight.

Following a move to Catania from FC Moscow in 2009, Lopez has had loan stints at the likes of Milan and Sampdoria.

On Tuesday, it was announced that the former Barcelona man had moved to Torino.

"Torino Football Club is delighted to announce that it has acquired outright from AC Chievo Verona the right of the player Maxi Lopez," a brief statement read.

Lopez had scored one goal in 13 league appearances for Chievo this season, and leaves them in 16th place in the table, just three points above the relegation zone.

Torino are also struggling, just two places and a point better off, although Giampiero Ventura's men are unbeaten in six in all competitions.

Juventus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cagliari unveil Husbauer and Cop

13 January 2015

771443header.jpg

Josef Husbauer set his sights on keeping Cagliari in Serie A as he was presented to the media along with fellow new boy Duje Cop.

Midfielder Husbauer and striker Cop have joined Gianfranco Zola's side on loan from Sparta Prague and Dinamo Zagreb respectively with a view to permanent moves.

Czech Republic international Husbauer, 24, has experience of playing in the UEFA Champions League and Europa League but is now relishing the challenge of helping Cagliari climb away from the relegation zone.

Husbauer said: "I saw Cagliari on television, [it] is a very good team. We are ready to give our best for salvation."

Former Banik Ostrava man Husbauer scored 18 goals in 29 appearances as Sparta were crowned Czech Liga champions last season.

Croatia international Cop has found the back of the net 15 times in all competitions this season after scoring 33 times in the 2013-14 campaign.

The 24-year-old, who can also operate on the wing, has two caps for his country, the most recent coming in a 2-1 defeat against Argentina in November.

Cop said: "I am aware that Serie A is tough, but I'm not afraid. I played in a team used to winning as Dinamo Zagreb, so I do not feel the pressure."

Inzaghi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lichtsteiner agrees extended Juve deal

13 January 2015

771421header.jpg

Stephan Lichtsteiner has agreed terms on a new two-year deal at Juventus, with the option of a third thereafter.

Lichtsteiner joined the Serie A giants from Lazio in 2011, and has since made 134 appearances for the club.

The full-back has won three successive Scudetti in that time, all under Antonio Conte, and is on course for a fourth with Juve leading the table under the guidance of Massimiliano Allegri.

On Tuesday, the club announced that Lichtsteiner had come to an agreement with the club over fresh terms.

"The player has signed a new agreement for two more years, with an option in favour of the club for the third," a statement read.

"The journey of the Swiss Express continues alongside Juve!"

Lukas Podolski

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pogba can emulate Juve greats - Allegri

12 January 2015

770869header.jpg

Massimiliano Allegri has tipped Paul Pogba to emulate the achievements of countrymen Zinedine Zidane and Michel Platini at Juventus.

The Frenchman opened the scoring in Sunday's 3-1 win over Napoli and has been one of his Juve's key performers this term as the champions target a fourth consecutive Scudetto.

After an impressive showing for Juve at the Stadio San Paolo, Allegri sees no reason why he cannot achieve similar feats to those of France greats Zidane and Platini.

Zidane won world and European honours on the international stage, with Platini also claiming the latter prize, and both earned two Serie A titles in Turin.

Zidane was twice a UEFA Champions League runner-up with Juve, while Platini was a European Cup winner in 1985, and Allegri feels that Pogba can follow in their footsteps.

"I hope that Pogba is able to come close to achieving what Zidane and Platini achieved at Juventus," the Juve coach said of the 21-year-old who already has two Scudettos to his name.

"He is still very young, and has all the quality to do so.

"He scored a wonderful goal [against Napoli] and played reasonably well after the goal, but I think he has the quality to do much better."

Juve are three points clear at the summit of the table and face a last-16 tie against Borussia Dortmund in the Champions Leauge.

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Roma´s Pallotta hits back at Lazio chief

13 January 2015

771565header.jpg

​Roma president James Pallotta has hit back at suggestions from Lazio chief Claudio Lotito that his club are mismanaging their finances.

Lazio president Lotito attracted the ire of their fierce rivals by claiming they would not win the title this season after Sunday's 2-2 draw between the two Rome clubs.

Lotito is also reported to have suggested that Roma director Mauro Baldissoni should learn to keep the "club's books in order" - a reference thought to be aimed at the fact Roma remain under investigation regarding their compliance with UEFA's Financial Fair Play regulations.

And Pallotta has now waded into the row by criticising Lotito and stating he would be willing to "educate" his counterpart on Roma's sound financial footing.

"Lotito continues to make foolish and ignorant statements about our club's economics," Pallotta said in a statement published on Roma's official website.

"Next time I come to Rome I will attempt to educate him on our strong and profitable financial position as I would speak to a young child [speaking slowly with as many one syllable words as possible].

"If he still can't figure it out, I give it up."

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Juventus willing to listen to offers for Paul Pogba

Europe's top clubs are reportedly pressing on Paul Pogba, with Juventus apparently lining up reinvestment in either Radamel Falcao or Edinson Cavani.

17 hours ago FootballItalia

1384412-29684617-2560-1440.jpg

Pogba (AFP)

The French prodigy continues to be linked with a move away from the Bianconeri, whilst his agent hinted this week that a sale one day remains inevitable.

[AGENT: PAUL POGBA WILL LEAVE JUVENTUS SOON]

According to today's edition of the Gazzetta dello Sport, the 21-year-old will likely be the object of an auction between Europe’s top clubs this summer.

Paris Saint-Germain are only marginally favoured over Chelsea, Manchester City and Real Madrid as interested parties said to be in the running, whilst the Gazzetta report Juventus may not settle for anything less than €90-100m.

A possible return to his former club Manchester United is not to be ruled out either, with quotes emerging today from Pogba on his past at Old Trafford.

“I'm impatient. It was the feeling that I had,” said the player to FourFourTwo on his initial exit in 2012.

Euro Papers: Juventus will sell Paul Pogba, plan megastar shopping spree

Juve are already planning to spend the cash from the sale of Paul Pogba on Premier League stars, while Turkish clubs battle for Mario Balotelli and Edin Dzeko.

“The coach had faith in me, but didn't put me on.

“He said that I was too young. He said, your time will come. It didn't come. But it doesn't mean I will speak ill of Manchester United. I love the club.”

Should Pogba depart Turin, the Gazzetta reports that the money would be reinvested in one between Manchester United’s on-loan Monaco-owned Radamel Falcao and PSG’s Edinson Cavani.

The latter has been listed recently as a potential makeweight in negotiations between Juve and the Parisians for Pogba.

Marek Hamsik

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Juve targeting January signings - Allegri

14 January 2015

771983header.jpg

Massimiliano Allegri insists Juventus' hierarchy are working on bringing players to the club this month.

The Serie A champions lead the Italian top flight by three points from Roma and are still hold out hopes of success in the Coppa Italia and the UEFA Champions League during Allegri's first season.

Close-season signings such as Patrice Evra and Alvaro Morata have played their part in ensuring the transition from Antonio Conte to Allegri has been relatively smooth, and the former Milan coach is seeking to further strengthen on an ongoing basis.

Allegri confirmed at a news conference on Wednesday: "The club is working to try and recruit players of use.

"We won't bring in bodies just for the sake of it. We have a competitive squad.

"Having everyone available is crucial for freshening things up."

Juve begin their Coppa Italia challenge on Thursday at home against Hellas Verona on Thursday, with Allegri confirming he will make a number of changes for the last-16 tie.

Having beaten Napoli in Serie A on Sunday, the likes of Andrea Pirlo and Carlos Tevez will both be rested for the midweek game.

"We'll be playing in front of a full house, so I don't think motivation will be an issue," he added.

"The Coppa Italia is a target of ours. We want to get through this round and go all the way. [Marco] Storari will be in the starting line-up for Verona. I'll decide on [Federico] Mattiello but two will be rested: Pirlo and Tevez.

"[Andrea] Barzagli worked with the team [on Wednesday] and participated in the practice match. We hope to have him back soon."

Inzaghi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Shaqiri: Mancini convinced me to join Inter

14 January 2015

771964header.jpg

Xherdan Shaqiri has revealed that Roberto Mancini convinced him to turn down offers in England and Germany to join Inter.

The Switzerland midfielder completed his move from Bayern Munich on a four-and-a-half-year contract last Friday.

Shaqiri had previously been linked with transfers to Premier League sides Liverpool and Stoke City.

However, former Manchester City boss Mancini persuaded him to spurn the advances of other clubs and make the move to San Siro.

"I had other offers, but my choice was always clear," Shaqiri said. "The coach showed me his project, I was convinced by his words and now I want to help the club return to the highest levels.

"In spite of other offers, I always wanted Inter. I was very struck by the tifosi [fans] when I landed. It was a unique experience and I will never forget it.

"Taking great steps together with this coach and my team-mates is a beautiful experience."

The former Basel man also confirmed reports that Serie A leaders and defending champions Juventus were interested in signing him. But Shaqiri is now firmly focused on helping Inter challenge for the top three and a UEFA Champions League place.

"I'm hungry for victories and I want them to be with Inter," he added. "My first impression is excellent, I'm sure we'll go back to the highest levels.

"Reading the papers it looks like I've been in contact with a whole lot of teams.

"My brother [and agent] was at work and Juventus was one of the options too, but I only wanted Inter.

"I can't wait to play and I think third place is within our grasp. We picked up some points over the weekend and I'm sure we'll be able to fly high again."

Shaqiri was on the bench in Sunday's 3-1 win over Genoa and could make his debut this weekend as Inter head to Empoli.

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Roma win race to sign Ponce

15 January 2015

772366header.jpg

Newell's Old Boys announce striker Ezequiel Ponce is set join Roma, but will stay at the Argentine club on loan until the end of the year.

Newell's Old Boys have revealed that Roma have signed Ezequiel Ponce, but the teenage striker will remain with the Argentine club until the end of the year.

Guillerme Lorente, Newell's president, revealed in December that Roma and Premier League side Tottenham had lodged "very good offers" for the highly-rated 17-year-old.

Lorente stated that Roma's offer to allow Ponce to remain at the Primera Division club for the remainder of the year was more appealing.

And Newell's have confirmed on their Twitter account that Ponce will move to the Eternal City in just under 12 months' time.

Ponce scored on his Primera Division debut for Newell's last March and has gone on to find the back of the net four times in 18 league matches.

Arturo Vidal

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Udinese pull plug on Muriel and Coda Samp deals

15 January 2015

772439header.jpg

Udinese have revealed that Luis Muriel and Andrea Coda will not be joining Sampdoria due to a difference of opinion on Muriel's injury.

Udinese have pulled the plug on deals to take Luis Muriel and Andrea Coda to Serie A rivals Sampdoria after a difference of opinion over how long forward Muriel will be sidelined.

Colombia international Muriel underwent a medical with the Genoa club ahead of a proposed switch for a reported fee of £12million.

Samp are said to have raised concerns over when Muriel would be available for selection, having been sidelined since November.

Udinese have now opted to end negotiations with Samp, so Muriel and defender Coda will remain with Andea Stramaccioni's side.

A statement on the club's official website: "Udinese Calcio announces that it has broken off negotiations with Sampdoria for the transfer of Luis Muriel and Andrea Coda.

"Udinese Calcio takes note of the different assessment on the recovery time estimated by Sampdoria for the injury of Luis Muriel and... it is considered appropriate in the interest of the players and the club to go no further.

"Luis Muriel and Andrea Coda, athletes (who) always distinguished themselves for commitment and professionalism, will return immediately available to the team to continue the first recovery plan and the second workouts."